Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,541 members, 7,816,314 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:23 AM

A Flashback To 1967 In Igbo History - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Flashback To 1967 In Igbo History (730 Views)

Flashback: To cede $100m to Abacha family, hardest decision of my life -Obasanjo / Igbo History. A Lot Of Eye Opening Documented History / Flashback: Nigeria Does Not Need 72-Yr-Old Grandfather As President – Peter Obi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Flashback To 1967 In Igbo History by Youngadvocate(m): 10:10am On Aug 21, 2017
In October 1967, Nigerian troops under the command of General Murtala Mohammed entered Asaba, a principle Igbo town in the Midwest, an ethnically diverse region west of the Niger river that did not secede along with Biafra. In a chain of events known as the Asaba Massacre, the army rounded up and indiscriminately executed nearly a thousand non-Biafran civilian males, sparing neither the young nor elderly. Their bodies were dumped into mass graves, and to this day, there exists no national memorial in their honor, no formal recognition that the event took place at all by Nigeria, nor have the perpetrators of these heinous crimes been brought to justice.

In 2010, a team of researchers from the University of South Florida travelled to Asaba to help Asaba sympathizers, community leaders, and survivors spearhead an Asaba Memorial Project Initiative, in order to forever immortalize the hundreds of innocent victims of aggression and erect a permanent museum in their honor.

The researchers visited numerous individuals and families at Asaba and collected first-hand eyewitness accounts from survivors in the hopes of amassing adequate documentation before evidence of the event would vanish from history. “We were also privileged to meet Obi (Chief) Esonanjo Awolo, who lost two younger brothers, as well as many other family members, in October 1967. His brothers, Harry and Joseph, were gunned down by soldiers while attempting to flee as federal troops entered Asaba. He was able to bring them home to the compound; one was already dead, while the other died shortly after. Igbo people traditionally do not bury their dead in cemeteries, but in their own home compounds, following customary ceremonies. Many people who lost family members were never able to retrieve their bodies, which made the loss even harder to bear.

Chief Awolo, whose status is marked by his robes, red cap, and other regalia, showed us the spot where he buried his brothers. He explained that he planted a small pepper tree on the site, which has now grown quite large over the last 40 years.”

http://igbobia.com/?q=a-flashback-to-1967-in-igbo-history.html

1 Share

Re: A Flashback To 1967 In Igbo History by AtkinsPlanet(m): 10:14am On Aug 21, 2017
My guy, This is going to start something else na.

Check out my signature.
Re: A Flashback To 1967 In Igbo History by attackgat: 10:36am On Aug 21, 2017
The remarkable thing about the Asaba massacre, one of the great sacriledges commited in Igbo land, waa that the man who commited this war crime, General Murtala Mohammed of cursed memory, is today regarded by some people as a hero.

A war criminal, coup plotter, pychotic killer and a failed Soldier is who Nigeria put on the N20 note and named and International Airport after?

Nigeria has a long history of honouring criminals.

Im just happy that Dimka later wasted that evil man called Murtala Mohammed as well Col Taiwo for the genocide they commited in Asaba.

1 Like

Re: A Flashback To 1967 In Igbo History by Youngadvocate(m): 10:45am On Aug 21, 2017
AtkinsPlanet:
My guy, This is going to start something else na.

Check out my signature.

Something like?
Re: A Flashback To 1967 In Igbo History by AtkinsPlanet(m): 10:47am On Aug 21, 2017
Youngadvocate:

Something like?
You should know, Tribalistic movement.
Check out my signature.
Re: A Flashback To 1967 In Igbo History by Nobody: 11:00am On Aug 21, 2017
This evil country built on the blood of Igbos, yet you wonder why the country is not doing well, and you think it will ever do well? SMH...useless black people.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Flashback To 1967 In Igbo History by Nobody: 11:18am On Aug 21, 2017
Igbo amaka grin

Re: A Flashback To 1967 In Igbo History by Marcelo290(m): 12:43pm On Aug 21, 2017
attackgat:
The remarkable thing about the Asaba massacre, one of the great sacriledges commited in Igbo land, waa that the man who commited this war crime, General Murtala Mohammed of cursed memory, is today regarded by some people as a hero.

A war criminal, coup plotter, pychotic killer and a failed Soldier is who Nigeria put on the N20 note and named and International Airport after?

Nigeria has a long history of honouring criminals.

Im just happy that Dimka later wasted that evil man called Murtala Mohammed as well Col Taiwo for the genocide they commited in Asaba.
grin grin grin I swear Nairalanders got no chill, chai!
Re: A Flashback To 1967 In Igbo History by Youngadvocate(m): 10:41pm On Aug 21, 2017
Marcelo290:
grin grin grin I swear Nairalanders got no chill, chai!

Lol

(1) (Reply)

Deleted Post / North Korea Threatens Nigeria / El-rufai Not Electable, Should Not Contest In 2019 - KRG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.