Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,113 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:20 PM

How Igbos Wanted My Head Cut Down! A Nigerian Wrote His Dad - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Igbos Wanted My Head Cut Down! A Nigerian Wrote His Dad (448 Views)

Aisha Yesufu: I Got My NYSC Even Before Buhari Wrote His Cambridge / Breaking: WAEC Confirms Adeleke Wrote His Exams In 1981 (flashback) / How Igbos Developed Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Igbos Wanted My Head Cut Down! A Nigerian Wrote His Dad by Africlegend: 9:11am On Aug 23, 2017
But Dad, How Did We End Up In Nigeria?

My Dad, how I love you! When you took me through some my first few steps I can't remember, when you joined mum in singing and dancing just to make me sleep, I also can't tell. When you first bought me a gift, I wish I can recollect, but no qualms. I can write a book on those things I know, those I can remember very fondly. It's quite fresh in my memory how you brought me up most affectionately, the look in your eyes whenever I was sick, and how you would rather not eat than allow me go hungry even when I'm home late. I remember how you would flog me with invisible tears in your eyes just to make me what I am today. You were stern when necessary, seriously, you were a strong man, who else would have helped me toss away the rebellion my youth would have been spent on? You were always there watching out with love and protection. I can't but be grateful for the time we spent together dad, I'm glad to have you! Father, this letter, I write with tears and quite a heavy heart. I'm sorry dad but just can't but ask you how we ended up in Nigeria. Maybe you should have done something earlier to change this!

Papa, there are so many countries in Europe, a handful in North and south America even in Africa, there is Ghana, south Africa and other countries, How did we end up in Nigeria? Not even Benin republic(where I would have at least be enjoying uninterrupted power)? A lot is happening! You try all you could to put food on my table, so, I don't have to struggle much hard to access my daily bread but I still feel pains, I feel pains from seeing friends and neighbours helplessly feed on nothings, from seeing female students embrace prostitution to make ends meet, from seeing people die like chicks from terrorism, from seeing those who were supposed to be save in IDP camps being blown off again. Dad, in our country, nothing is working. I'm weighed down by everyday noise from generators(it gives me negative psychological effects). Father, see how the rich oppress the vulnerable with their affluence. People still sleep under bridges.Children still die of malnutrition in our country Dad, humans get kidnapped and butchered like it's nothing, students graduate to suffer and wallow in misery. Good boys are becoming yahoo boys. Everything is just too mundane and humdrum.No access to basic facilities and war drum is now being beaten here and there. Dad, how did we find ourselves in this kind of a country?

Father, something happened recently that really made me write this letter, I saw the tension in the country, and as you should know I love to put pen on paper, I wrote Mazi Nnamdi Kanu telling him secession is not the solution to our problems and that he should please save me the ache of losing my friends to Biafra. You should see the responses I got! Some Igbos wanted my head taken down, insults here and there, they were fully tired of this country, but, I felt their pains too, how I love Igbos! I could see beyond those insults to the afflictions, soreness and sufferings those ones have endured as Nigerians.And to crown it all Dad, I ran into the longs and shorts of a soldier who was only fortunate to come back home alive and it was a funeral. I almost cried, so, I wrote something to inform Nigerians of what Our soldiers go through and how they needed be appreciated but, I was surprised Nigerians hate their soldiers! I tried to defend them but the people complained of incessant abuses of civilians. Just today, I was presented with another video where a girl was dehumanised and humiliated for wearing a camou. My dad, with invisible tears, I ask, is Nigeria another name for Animal Kingdom? Dad, I'm sorry, how did we end up in this Country? I'm not really expecting a reply to this letter sir , I know you would want to tell me,"this is where God wants us to be," well, I'll keep hope alive and contribute my quota to the unity and growth of a country God willingly put me, or have I an option? I will do my best to make my country a home. I pray these people pay your pension early this month Papa, I am running out of cash. Please say me well to mum and don't forget to take care of yourself, you know I love you!
Sincerely,

Ayeni Faith Damilola is a writer, public speaker and eulogist.
faithdamilolaayeni@yahoo.com
Re: How Igbos Wanted My Head Cut Down! A Nigerian Wrote His Dad by taylor88(m): 9:13am On Aug 23, 2017
and wen did osun and Ogun became SE
Re: How Igbos Wanted My Head Cut Down! A Nigerian Wrote His Dad by AtkinsPlanet(m): 9:15am On Aug 23, 2017
Dont let me join.
Re: How Igbos Wanted My Head Cut Down! A Nigerian Wrote His Dad by Africlegend: 9:56am On Aug 23, 2017
taylor88:
and wen did osun and Ogun became SE
where did you see Osun and Ogun?

(1) (Reply)

Naija Newspapers: Today's The Vanguard Newspaper Headlines [27 August, 2017]. / FACT CHECK: Jonathan Or Buhari? Who Really Approved Kano To Daura Rail Line? / Why President Buhari Should Resign As Petroleum Minister

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.