Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,204 members, 7,818,690 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:51 PM

Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? (14559 Views)

Candace Owen: I Learned That Feminism Is A Scam, It Tears Women / Feminism Is An Abbreviation Of Female Stupidity - Nigerian Lady / Chimamanda Adichie: A Crude Brand Of Feminism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by OrdercityWeb: 5:22pm On Aug 23, 2017
Feminism as defined by Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feminism)

"Feminism is a range of political movements, ideologies, and social movements that share a common goal: to define, establish, and achieve political, economic, personal, and social rights for women.[1][2] This includes seeking to establish educational and professional opportunities for women that are equal to such opportunities for men.

Feminist movements have campaigned and continue to campaign for women's rights, including the right to vote, to hold public office, to work, to earn fair wages or equal pay, to own property, to receive education, to enter contracts, to have equal rights within marriage, and to have maternity leave. Feminists have also worked to promote bodily autonomy and integrity, and to protect women and girls from rape, sexual harassment, and domestic violence.[3] Changes in dress and acceptable physical activity have often been part of feminist movements."

Now lets start with the question of "is the woman gender disadvantaged today?"
In our society today especially in Nigeria much preference is given to women today, even in our relationships its the girlfriend that enjoys the fringe benefits. In the wake of any disaster women and children are given preference, yet men have never complained and said this is "inequality".
Considering the definition as obtained from Wikipedia, lets critically look at this:
"to define, establish, and achieve political, economic, personal, and social rights for women"
In Nigeria today Women have social, political, economic, personal, and social rights. Women contest for political positions in Nigeria today, Women are head of coporations in Nigeria today.

"right to vote, to hold public office, to work, to earn fair wages or equal pay, to own property, to receive education, to enter contracts, to have equal rights within marriage, and to have maternity leave"
As earlier stated Women have the right to vote, and earn equal wages with their male counterparts, they own properties and have access to education. Is it realistic to have equal rights in marriage? Can there be 2 leaders at the same time?

"bodily autonomy and integrity, and to protect women and girls from rape, sexual harassment, and domestic violence"
Men also suffer rape and domestic violence so why is there a special movement for women on that. Only on the exceptions of religous sections of the country that restrict women's bodily autonomy. At that is an issue with religion not men. right?
Thanks for reading to this point. I have not made any conclusions but i have only drawn realistic applications of feminism in Nigeria today.

I will like to know what you think. Is feminism relevant in Nigeria today? FACTS ONLY INTELLIGENT COMMENTS

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by OrdercityWeb: 5:23pm On Aug 23, 2017
Hi lalasticlala. If this is the wrong section. Please kindly move it to the right place.

Thanks cool

Cc: pocaonthas
Benita19
Missraine69

What do y'll say?
Lilmax I'm sure you want to say something. I see you viewing. Thanks
Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by Afam4eva(m): 5:32pm On Aug 23, 2017
Feminism is relevant to the extent of the laws of Nigeria. The laws of Nigeria, despite it's medieval outlook is pretty fair to women. For instance, women can do just about anything a man can do. However, the problem has never been the absent of laws but the implementation.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by OrdercityWeb: 5:38pm On Aug 23, 2017
Afam4eva:
Feminist is relevant to the extent of the laws of Nigeria. The laws of Nigeria, despite it's medieval outlook is pretty fair to women. For instance, women can do just about anything a man can do. However, the problem has never been the absent of laws but the implementation.
I don't get you. Do you mean it is relevant or irrelevant?

3 Likes

Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by Nobody: 7:06pm On Aug 23, 2017
Interesting..
Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by Afam4eva(m): 7:06pm On Aug 23, 2017
OrdercityWeb:

I don't get you. Do you mean it is relevant or irrelevant?

It is relevant.

9 Likes

Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by stanech: 7:06pm On Aug 23, 2017
Modern feminists are crazy idiots cheesy

50 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by DuBLINGreenb(m): 7:06pm On Aug 23, 2017
Nein, no, nay, non,
Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by handsomebanana(m): 7:07pm On Aug 23, 2017
Depenz on d type of FEMiNIsm

If it follows the NOrmal definition, den of course it is definitely needed especially In d NORth -- not debatable

But WE all KNw that the Normal def is not what we see 2day. D muvment hz bin hijacked by Misandrists, Whiners, epic FAIlurez Wu refuz 2 hold themselvz responsible 4 dia FAilurez. Itz always easier 2 blame d Mythical Patriarchy or Something elz as d cause of ur Failures.
Dey want equal opportunities as well as equal Outcomes

Shout out 2 d ril Feminists but d idiots we c here on NAIranld are a big disgrace. Dia lack of Consistency is my daily source of Humour

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by VargasVee(m): 7:07pm On Aug 23, 2017
Only online in Nigeria.

The so-called feminists only come online to bleat and rant without helping out to the actual cause in reality.

Always talking about woman power, ask them how they're helping they'd keep shut. I've got ladies here that are feminists and they're really putting in a lot of work for their gender, the average woman in Nigeria only goes to the internet to vent her frustrations.

They're not signed up to any group promoting it. They're not even educating people on it, not even funds to help the case. Only good in finding faults with men, the average black woman in Nigeria.

Who takes them serious undecided

44 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by humilitypays(m): 7:08pm On Aug 23, 2017
No. Ask me why

Feminism is all about gender equality; equality in everything not in some things.

But in Nigeria, Nigerian ladies become feminist when they want it to favor them, but when they know that it won't favor them, they forget feminism. How?

For instance, in marriages, Nigerian men pay their fiance's dowries....during dating, Nigerian women expect Nigerian men to take at least 90% financial responsibility of the relationship.

Every Nigerian lady, even the one from rich family and those working and earning big income still innately expect their man to take care of all their financial needs. Nigerian lady can hardly give her man money that's useful or buy him tangible gift, but she expects her boyfriend or fiance' or hubby to buy her a car, a house, take care of her parents, siblings, school expenditures, etc.

But if she has money she don't want to spend on her man and if she ever spends at all, she complains and disregards the man.

Imagine in Nigeria, parents were encouraged to send their girl child's to school for a better tomorrow and better Nigeria and over the last 2 decades we have seen a boom in Nigerian women professionals doing so well in their various career fields, trade, business and handwork but then, this has not had any meaningful impact on Nigeria's economy welfare and family happiness.

A Nigerian lady working and earning big money will remain single waiting for a richer guy to spend more money on her while she gets old and refuses to use her money raise any guy....we have lots of financially buoyant single ladies in Nigeria single because they want to marry Otedola, Dangote, Okorocha, Donald Duke....but imagine if the good jobs Nigerian ladies got via feminism and girl-child education campaign in Nigeria were in the hands of Nigerian guys, believe me, u will never find any single Nigerian lady cos Nigerian guys would have married them all even if they are poor and wretched.

And the guys will also help uplift these ladies families too....but Nigerian ladies only want feminism when it favors them, so how is feminism helpful to Nigeria

Feminism has brought delayed marriage in Nigeria, marital crises, chaos and relationship troubles and confusion....Nigeria is not ripe enough for feminism.‎

62 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by pocohantas(f): 7:08pm On Aug 23, 2017
Real feminism...yes.
Radicals that are trying to distort family values and system under the umbrella of feminism...no.

Watch NL guys take this topic personal grin grin grin

They say feminism in Nigeria, not NL...una get life outside NL so? cheesy

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by GreatEvilBeast(m): 7:09pm On Aug 23, 2017
What else do these women want angry
In my opinion they're just asking for Superiority not equality..

Quote me and die angry

16 Likes

Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by wunmi590(m): 7:09pm On Aug 23, 2017
Yes,
Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by NameCheckers: 7:10pm On Aug 23, 2017
Yes Hersley is their queen here on Nairaland

1 Like

Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by talk2hb1(m): 7:11pm On Aug 23, 2017
Feminist are set of people who dont like who they are, dont enjoy sweet love relationship. You will never meet any woman who enjoys relationship clamoring for Feminism!

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by emeijeh(m): 7:12pm On Aug 23, 2017
D
Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by HERSLEY(f): 7:12pm On Aug 23, 2017
I am a proud one kiss

3 Likes

Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by ggoldmine: 7:12pm On Aug 23, 2017
To every action, they say, there's a reaction.

In time past, women have suffered oppressive treatment coz of the belief that women are weak physically (when in fact, they're stronger mentally and other allies) and should be limited to do certain things even when they can do most of those things.

We're humans and it gets to a point where we're overwhelmed with things we're not comfortable with, then decide enough is enough.

So, if women standing up to their right of equal treatment make them feminist, then I'd be a part of it...

... I don't see that happening in Nigeria though.

2 Likes

Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by Bimzybae(f): 7:13pm On Aug 23, 2017
Hello nairalander, please help a sister win a prize by following the link and liking the post... Muxh love
https://www.instagram.com/p/BYI_N7Yh6t-/

Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by Next2Bezee(m): 7:13pm On Aug 23, 2017
Yes it is, especially in Northern Nigeria where they don't mind marrying and fvcking anything as long as it's female.

8 Likes

Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by HERSLEY(f): 7:14pm On Aug 23, 2017
talk2hb1:
Feminism is way of expressing hatred for oneself, you will never meet any woman who enjoys relationship clamoring for Feminism!
smh undecided hell nah. I beg to disagree

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by Nobody: 7:15pm On Aug 23, 2017
No.

ikp120:
Nansense! Who they epp?

I pity all the stupid guys dating all those yeye Nigerian feminists out there.

Na only for Nigeria a broke feminist go dey say she cannot date broke guys. Yeye people. The yeye girl no dey single o. sad sad

When it comes to money Nigerian girls cease to be feminists. sad sad

I wanted to say some things but this guy has partially aired my point across. Nigerian women/girls are only feminists when it suits them. They love the traditional gender roles when it comes to being treated nice and all but embrace feminism as soon as they're the ones that have to put in effort. Its only Nigerian feminists that will talk about sharing house chores EQUALLY but then turn around and expect their husband to be the only one providing for the family, or the one providing the majority.

Any man 'dating' a Nigerian feminist is just a white knight hoping that by playing extra nice then she'll throw in some p*ssy for him (which, sadly, he's never going to get)

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by Frankenstein: 7:15pm On Aug 23, 2017
Your argument is skewed.
Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by Alphybuks(m): 7:15pm On Aug 23, 2017
Girls will storm this thread like bees

1 Like

Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by ikp120(m): 7:16pm On Aug 23, 2017
Nansense! Who they epp?

I pity all the stupid guys dating all those yeye Nigerian feminists out there.

Na only for Nigeria a broke feminist go dey say she cannot date broke guys. Yeye people. The yeye girl no dey single o. sad sad

When it comes to money Nigerian girls cease to be feminists. sad sad

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by Nobody: 7:17pm On Aug 23, 2017
I'll watch this thread...share some experiences guys
Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by Nobleking2000(m): 7:17pm On Aug 23, 2017
G
Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by Nobody: 7:17pm On Aug 23, 2017
Most ladies/ grin women are not useful jor

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by JONNYSPUTE(m): 7:17pm On Aug 23, 2017
Not relevant. Am yet to understand what exactly our women want. Equality or superiority? U want equality but u can't help ur husband pay house rent,school fees,buy foodstuff Nd do all other things that men do but u want him to help u wash the dishes,clean the house Nd bath babies. Pls women define exactly what u want.

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by Yonce(f): 7:18pm On Aug 23, 2017
talk2hb1:
Feminist are set of people who dont like who they are, dont enjoy sweet love relationship. You will never meet any woman who enjoys relationship clamoring for Feminism!

I think it's when a woman loves herself unconditionally and hopes to create a better society for her daughters that she'll champion the cause for equality of sexes. Not the other way around.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Family Members Celebrate As Nigerian Woman Gives Birth To Twins After 20 Years / My Uncle's Wife Younger Sister Is Acting Funny With Me! / Marrying A Woman 5 Years Older

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.