Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,329 members, 7,819,131 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:41 AM

ASUU Strike Update: ASUU To Announce Continuation Or Suspension Today. - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Strike Update: ASUU To Announce Continuation Or Suspension Today. (30856 Views)

Students Give FG Two Weeks To Announce Schools Resumption Date / ASUU Strike Update : ASUU Set To Abolish Indefinite Strike / ASUU UPDATE—ASUU And FG Meets An Agreement _see Call Off Date (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ASUU Strike Update: ASUU To Announce Continuation Or Suspension Today. by Nobody: 6:41pm On Aug 26, 2017
enemyofprogress:
Abeg let it continue Jo,my babe is yet to take in for me
This one dey find babymama grin.
Re: ASUU Strike Update: ASUU To Announce Continuation Or Suspension Today. by Nobody: 6:42pm On Aug 26, 2017
MEILYN:
Please let the strike continue so my girlfriend can be with me for longer grin grin
Your girlfriend no get parents house were she go pack go?
Re: ASUU Strike Update: ASUU To Announce Continuation Or Suspension Today. by MEILYN(m): 7:27pm On Aug 26, 2017
Rorachy:
Your girlfriend no get parents house were she go pack go?
shocked shocked watin concern you with where she won Live? cheesy cheesy she won stay with me, let her be... wink
Re: ASUU Strike Update: ASUU To Announce Continuation Or Suspension Today. by CornelG(m): 7:29pm On Aug 26, 2017
enemyofprogress:
Abeg let it continue Jo,my babe is yet to take in for me
Chai i pity this our mumu generation we are into today ooo
Re: ASUU Strike Update: ASUU To Announce Continuation Or Suspension Today. by enemyofprogress: 7:44pm On Aug 26, 2017
CornelG:

Chai i pity this our mumu generation we are into today ooo
blame our leaders for it,they cursed it
Re: ASUU Strike Update: ASUU To Announce Continuation Or Suspension Today. by enemyofprogress: 7:45pm On Aug 26, 2017
Rorachy:
This one dey find babymama grin.
yes nau,I need to boom our population
Re: ASUU Strike Update: ASUU To Announce Continuation Or Suspension Today. by Hopey4u2c: 7:50pm On Aug 26, 2017
[quote author=Jics post=59836599]Some students have started enjoying the sudden break.... As for me, I dey expect good news jare[/quote
Re: ASUU Strike Update: ASUU To Announce Continuation Or Suspension Today. by CornelG(m): 8:25pm On Aug 26, 2017
enemyofprogress:
blame our leaders for it,they cursed it
No wonder your an enemy of progress as your signature clearly says so
Re: ASUU Strike Update: ASUU To Announce Continuation Or Suspension Today. by Nobody: 8:41pm On Aug 26, 2017
enemyofprogress:
yes nau,I need to boom our population
You shouldn't, we are already overpopulated and we need to curb it.
Re: ASUU Strike Update: ASUU To Announce Continuation Or Suspension Today. by enemyofprogress: 8:47pm On Aug 26, 2017
Rorachy:
You shouldn't, we are already overpopulated and we need to curb it.
not until I get my own 5. 3 boys and 2 girls
Re: ASUU Strike Update: ASUU To Announce Continuation Or Suspension Today. by Nobody: 9:15pm On Aug 26, 2017
Strike suspended
Re: ASUU Strike Update: ASUU To Announce Continuation Or Suspension Today. by Mikee19(m): 9:33pm On Aug 26, 2017
ojingbe:
Strike suspended
confirmed?
Re: ASUU Strike Update: ASUU To Announce Continuation Or Suspension Today. by Sciencehigh1(m): 11:00pm On Aug 26, 2017
The Academic Staff Union of Universities ( ASUU ) says there is no going back on its on going strike as 80% of the chapter voted for continuation
Prof . Biodun Ogunyemi , the union ’s National President , told the News Agency of Nigeria ( NAN ) on telephone in Abuja that the strike would be total and indefinite.
The union leadership , after its executive committee meeting , declared the strike continues toll the FG yield to it request .
Ogunyemi said chronic under-funding of the sector through low budgetary allocation, which went from 11 per cent in 2015 to eight per cent in 2016, did not go down well with the union .
He pointed out the failure of government to implement the 2009 agreement and the 2013 Memorandum of Understanding ( MoU ) as some of the reasons for embarking on the warning strike.
The president said that its members were tired of what they described as “government ’s empty promises ’’ in setting up its negotiation team for the review of agreement as consistently requested by ASUU since 2012 .
“There shall be no teaching , no examination and no attendance of statutory meetings of any kind in any of our branches while the strike lasts .’’
According to him , the union will put machinery in place to ensure that there is total compliance during the strike..
He explained that the essence of the strike was to draw attention of concern stakeholders and the general public to the challenges that the unions, universities and other stakeholders in the sector were facing.
“Nobody will say before we exhaust the warning strike some issues cannot be addressed if government want to be sincere with our cause.
“We are doing this because we want Nigerians to come into the matter and ensure that these issues are given adequate attention they deserve
“Our lecturers are given 40 per cent of their salaries , which is just not encouraging, as this will lead to poor commitment in carrying out their jobs .
“I am sure nobody will like a 40 per cent university education or 40 per cent teaching of various courses including research development and output .
“That is why we have to take the matter before the National Assembly, which we believe , will come into the matter just like the Nigerian parents .’’.
ASUU also uses this medium to wish all student happy salah .
Re: ASUU Strike Update: ASUU To Announce Continuation Or Suspension Today. by upros(m): 11:06pm On Aug 26, 2017
ojingbe:
Strike suspended
ojingbe:
Strike suspended
kay..no try urself here o.. sad
ojingbe:
Strike suspended
kay..no try urself here o.. sad
Re: ASUU Strike Update: ASUU To Announce Continuation Or Suspension Today. by upros(m): 11:08pm On Aug 26, 2017
Make i chilax first b4 oral b hustle start...
Re: ASUU Strike Update: ASUU To Announce Continuation Or Suspension Today. by solaere(m): 11:34pm On Aug 26, 2017
ernesterioo:
if u re a member of this body, u re gonna clamour for same... can ur dad be in this association and yet calling him he has no sense
As if u knw...!my dad is a lecturer residence in unilorin,visiting to fuoye,abu zaria nd futo not a member of ASUU tho so u can be sure i knw wat i'm sayin abt ASUU !!!.
Re: ASUU Strike Update: ASUU To Announce Continuation Or Suspension Today. by Lonergem: 12:50am On Aug 27, 2017
I jst called one lecturer in my sch nw and he told me dat the strike will be suspended from

waiting for the next update in the next 2 month dat the strike has been suspended grin

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike Update: ASUU To Announce Continuation Or Suspension Today. by bolaji3071(m): 1:43am On Aug 27, 2017
ASUU please call off strike ooo

in order words.. I just checked my online phs test result..
17/20... happy mood....
Re: ASUU Strike Update: ASUU To Announce Continuation Or Suspension Today. by blastac: 2:08am On Aug 27, 2017
You must be an Esut student... grin

icedfire:
craze people, what is ASUU as a body doing to improve the educational sector?

in almost all universities in Nigeria we have lecturers who wouldn't pass you except you 'sort' them. some openly threaten the girls , no sex- then expect a carry over. some are so sadistic that they tell you : regardless of what u write, they can't give you an A. if ASUU can sanitize their system, we won't have graduates who can't spell 'graduate'.

if federal government increases their allowances, will it stop them from selling handouts? federal govt should give them that as a condition for any increment in salary
Re: ASUU Strike Update: ASUU To Announce Continuation Or Suspension Today. by slydog(m): 6:28am On Aug 27, 2017
Wait, does it mean the meeting of Friday has not come to an end Sunday morning?
Re: ASUU Strike Update: ASUU To Announce Continuation Or Suspension Today. by garlicrey(m): 6:59am On Aug 27, 2017
Sciencehigh1:
The Academic Staff Union of Universities ( ASUU ) says there is no going back on its on going strike as 80% of the chapter voted for continuation
Prof . Biodun Ogunyemi , the union ’s National President , told the News Agency of Nigeria ( NAN ) on telephone in Abuja that the strike would be total and indefinite.
The union leadership , after its executive committee meeting , declared the strike continues toll the FG yield to it request .
Ogunyemi said chronic under-funding of the sector through low budgetary allocation, which went from 11 per cent in 2015 to eight per cent in 2016, did not go down well with the union .
He pointed out the failure of government to implement the 2009 agreement and the 2013 Memorandum of Understanding ( MoU ) as some of the reasons for embarking on the warning strike.
The president said that its members were tired of what they described as “government ’s empty promises ’’ in setting up its negotiation team for the review of agreement as consistently requested by ASUU since 2012 .
“There shall be no teaching , no examination and no attendance of statutory meetings of any kind in any of our branches while the strike lasts .’’
According to him , the union will put machinery in place to ensure that there is total compliance during the strike..
He explained that the essence of the strike was to draw attention of concern stakeholders and the general public to the challenges that the unions, universities and other stakeholders in the sector were facing.
“Nobody will say before we exhaust the warning strike some issues cannot be addressed if government want to be sincere with our cause.
“We are doing this because we want Nigerians to come into the matter and ensure that these issues are given adequate attention they deserve
“Our lecturers are given 40 per cent of their salaries , which is just not encouraging, as this will lead to poor commitment in carrying out their jobs .
“I am sure nobody will like a 40 per cent university education or 40 per cent teaching of various courses including research development and output .
“That is why we have to take the matter before the National Assembly, which we believe , will come into the matter just like the Nigerian parents .’’.
is this true ?
Re: ASUU Strike Update: ASUU To Announce Continuation Or Suspension Today. by Mikee19(m): 2:10pm On Aug 27, 2017
So no-one knows the result of a meeting that held on Friday? today is Sunday! What in the world is going on

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike Update: ASUU To Announce Continuation Or Suspension Today. by Mikee19(m): 2:11pm On Aug 27, 2017
garlicrey:
is this true ?
Only on nairaland!
Re: ASUU Strike Update: ASUU To Announce Continuation Or Suspension Today. by Adewhunmiiii(f): 2:26pm On Aug 27, 2017
Why are they silent about yesterday's meeting then? ASUU should say something jare.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike Update: ASUU To Announce Continuation Or Suspension Today. by codedmelvin(m): 2:44pm On Aug 27, 2017
Sciencehigh1:
Old news jare!
We need a recent update pls
Re: ASUU Strike Update: ASUU To Announce Continuation Or Suspension Today. by PeterTersugh(m): 2:52pm On Aug 27, 2017
So nobody here has any information about yesterday meeting? angry
Re: ASUU Strike Update: ASUU To Announce Continuation Or Suspension Today. by Abelsconcept(m): 8:26pm On Aug 27, 2017
DISCLAIMER: This write is not authorized by anyone it is my research and conclusion.

Just called one of my lecturer, word reaching me is that the strike will be suspended within this week, when i pressed for a specific date i was told that the information is classified.

However, the outcome of friday and saturday NEC meetings were options to compromise on the part of ASUU which is against the general view of the majority of the lecturers who insist that the government must pay them what they are due. On the other hand, ASUU NEC sees things differently and has come to a compromise with the federal government.

Except an announcement soon for the suspension of ASUU 2017 strike.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike Update: ASUU To Announce Continuation Or Suspension Today. by CornelG(m): 9:58pm On Aug 27, 2017
Abelsconcept:
DISCLAIMER: This write is not authorized by anyone it is my research and conclusion.

Just called one of my lecturer, word reaching me is that the strike will be suspended within this week, when i pressed for a specific date i was told that the information is classified.

However, the outcome of friday and saturday NEC meetings were options to compromise on the part of ASUU which is against the general view of the majority of the lecturers who insist that the government must pay them what they are due. On the other hand, ASUU NEC sees things differently and has come to a compromise with the federal government.

Except an announcement soon for the suspension of ASUU 2017 strike.
I say a big Amen to this

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike Update: ASUU To Announce Continuation Or Suspension Today. by garlicrey(m): 7:26am On Aug 28, 2017
There are indications that the Academic Staff Union of Universities may meet with the Federal Government this week over the ongoing strike by the union.

The ASUU strike which started on Sunday, August 13, 2017 was announced by its National President, Prof. Biodun Ogunyemi, at a meeting of the National Executive Council of the union in Abuja.

It was learnt on Sunday that the union would present its position to the government on the offers made by the Minister of Labour and Employment, Dr Chris Ngige, during their meeting on August 17, 2017 in Abuja.

A source explained that the ASUU meeting, which held on Saturday at the University of Abuja, discussed whether to suspend the strike on the basis of the offers made by the government.

The FG had during the meeting with ASUU leadership in Abuja offered to pay N23bn and a monthly payment of N1.5bn pending the outcome of the forensic audit being carried out by the Ministry of Finance.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Adamawa SUG President: Policemen In Viral Video To Face Disciplinary Sanctions / 16 Pictures You Can Relate To If You're Attending A Nigerian University / Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.