Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,424 members, 7,819,530 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:37 PM

Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? (20081 Views)

What Are The Worst Ways Of Learning Programming? / Which Laptop Is Most Suitable For Learning Programming For Beginners? / Uh? Learning Programming With Phone?! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by naijaswag1: 5:11pm On Feb 20, 2010
Is it late to start learning programming @ 28 years?
Re: Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by Akebulan: 6:33pm On Feb 20, 2010
What netghost said.
Re: Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by naijaswag1: 7:18pm On Feb 20, 2010
To use it to make a living?
Re: Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by iarm(m): 7:42pm On Feb 20, 2010
I know fairly good programmers that began coding at 40 >.

It's never too late to learn a skill, take your time with it, and run at your own pace.
Re: Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by Ghenghis(m): 11:12pm On Feb 20, 2010
hmm, its never too late like everyone says, but age matters because programming requires patience and time.

I can assure you'd still be learning tricks by 38, if you're okay with that then programming is for you. grin
Re: Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by tommyneo: 4:08am On Feb 21, 2010
you should start with an open mind, a desktop (so u can sit one place without running around) and python (the PL software, not the snake). with good devotion, u'll be shockd at yourself.

or at best marry a programmer FWIW. if u divorce, it means you may never be able to learn it.

IMO even a child at 10 wont learn if he doesnt have interest in it?
Re: Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by iGuru1(m): 4:31am On Feb 21, 2010
Abeg oh make i ask this question.
How old are you guys, apart from the poster.
Or at what age did each of you start learning programing.
Make una no vex oh na ?
Re: Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by dazz4me: 12:43pm On Feb 21, 2010
I started programing at about 30 and i'm making a living from it

1 Like

Re: Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by iGuru1(m): 3:28pm On Feb 21, 2010
@dazz4me
Do you work before you started programing or are you working and still programing?

I'm currently studying c++, i started this year and am just 20, am still looking for mentor.
Re: Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by lojik(m): 6:39pm On Feb 21, 2010
i could write algorithms and flow charts b4 twenty but left off to resume programming fully at 25.
30 now and making a beautiful living out of programming.

1 Like

Re: Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by dazz4me: 10:46pm On Feb 21, 2010
After looking for job and couldn't get one then i saw an opportunity to become a programmer
and went for it. I didn't even know much about IT then. I use VB.NET
Re: Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by slideshow(m): 12:45pm On Feb 22, 2010
Hello guyz, i luv nd hav alwayz dreamed of bein a programmer. But ther is no institution whr i am nd i can't leav due 2 my job. So plz is ther any way one learn online? If yez, whch sites? How do i start?
Re: Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by naijaswag1: 3:09pm On Feb 22, 2010
Reasonable and encouraging responses.I just wanted to answer a question that keeps on prompting inside of me.Currently written Oracle OCA exam and going to write OCP this week but just realized that getting entry level DBA jobs are quiet difficult in Nigeria because of lack of existing databases.The employment available are for experienced people,but I realized that developers vacancies are everywhere so,i went for java to complement.Many a times,its good to let those questions down in the Soul out so that one that be reassured while pushing ahead.
tommyneo:

you should start with an open mind, a desktop (so u can sit one place without running around) and python (the PL software, not the snake). with good devotion, u'll be shockd at yourself.

or at best marry a programmer FWIW. if u divorce, it means you may never be able to learn it.

IMO even a child at 10 wont learn if he doesnt have interest in it?

Am spending some three months outside Nigeria in one of the West African countries where i will have access to electricity 24hrs.
Re: Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by Nobody: 3:10pm On Feb 22, 2010
Of course not.
Re: Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by zandreadi: 3:14pm On Feb 22, 2010
visit http://zandreadi..com to learn programming on a fast scale
Re: Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by iGuru1(m): 8:15pm On Feb 22, 2010
slideshow:

Hello guyz, i luv nd hav alwayz dreamed of bein a programmer. But ther is no institution whr i am nd i can't leav due 2 my job. So plz is ther any way one learn online? If yez, whch sites? How do i start?
You should first think of what programing language you want to be developing on, get a good computer, then come back to NL for tutorials.
Re: Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by visualtutorng: 5:30am On Feb 23, 2010
@ topic poster. As a matter of priority, you must:
1. Identify which area of programming interests you. Is it software application, website application, support etc.
2. Identify what sells where you live, Since you want to make a living from programming.
3. identify that study materials are available, accessible and affordable considering your financial capability and environmental factors.

Interest, purpose and state of the mind supersedes the number of years you have live. IMHO you are just a young guy smiley.
Goodluck.
Re: Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by newmusic: 12:57pm On Feb 23, 2010
Nothing is late in life.Better late than never.
Re: Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by MKAN: 1:03pm On Feb 23, 2010
IT/Computing/Technology is like the best industry in the world.

You can jump in or out at any age because its always changing.

guys who learnt programming at 15 or 16 probably still have to
learn the new languages today.

Just pick an interesting language and enjoy. you'll still have to learn
another one in 5 years time like everyone else and start all over again.

So, YES, YOU CAN
Re: Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by Nobody: 1:20pm On Feb 23, 2010
Kinda in the same shoes with Poster, but don't feel any age is too old or too young. So far a 98 year old man can regisster ina pry school to learn how to read and write. Just think of it. Would love to know it just for the knowledge.
Re: Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by oluponpin: 2:18pm On Feb 23, 2010
Age is just ordinary number go ahead with what ever u want do, best of luck grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by Nobody: 2:22pm On Feb 23, 2010
@poster i feel you bro. have always been fascinated by the internet and computers. if i had seriously started horning my programming skills back then in 2003 i would have gone far by now. but i guess we should never say never.
Re: Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by ilosiwaju: 2:55pm On Feb 23, 2010
It's a matter of interest my brother. I started programming since my early teenage. Does that mean i am better than some friends who started some 3-4 years ago? Not necessarily.
You can start programming at any age once you have the interest and zeal. Again, resilience and patience is vital too cos of the some demons called errors and bugs. Some programming languages even plan to frustrate starters most notably oga C++, but with good materials(wey even yapa for net) and someone who also programs(not necessarily a guru), you can do anything.
all the best. wink
Re: Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by vercetti(m): 3:09pm On Feb 23, 2010
i-Guru:

@dazz4me
Do you work before you started programing or are you working and still programing?

I'm currently studying c++, i started this year and am just 20, am still looking for mentor.

i-Guru, dont think that 20 is a really early age to start programming. Its unfortunate that the state of things in this country has made learning IT at an early age almost impossible. Few have access to 24 hours of power, even fewer can afford to have access to a PC. Im saying this because I have encountered many teenage GURU programmers online, and it just shows how far behind we are in this country.

naija_swag:

Is it late to start learning programming @ 28 years?

Its never too late my brother. All it takes is passion, and practice, practice, practice.  wink
Re: Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by neily(f): 3:27pm On Feb 23, 2010
Life is a process. Nothing is too late. Do whatever u want.
Re: Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by frostmarvl: 4:23pm On Feb 23, 2010
You just need to have the focus. In africa, 20 might even be considered early.

start with something easy, and make sure you practice everyday lest you lose your touch. you need to set yourself tasks and make sure you complete them.

i started self tutoring with c++, found it a tad too complicated and then switched to python. gave me the all the techniques i required much more easily.
you need to be careful, lest you get frustrated.

goodluck.
Re: Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by cruworld(m): 4:41pm On Feb 23, 2010
Going to 21 Just started programming with C/C++ will soon get my personal Lapi for practising, searching for mentor within Abuja, still waiting for admission, Still lacking Creativity to be a Successful programmer.

1 Like

Re: Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by MsTom(f): 4:48pm On Feb 23, 2010
It is never late to learn new things. I am 30+ and still learning new programming languages and I know I would still need to learn newer ones.
Re: Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by deb(m): 4:58pm On Feb 23, 2010

go to www.w3schools.com I learnt php from this site in two weeks. And am currently learning ASP
Re: Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by iGuru1(m): 9:53pm On Feb 23, 2010
@all,
For those of you that says learning programing @ 28 is good, you should always note that there is a different btw guru and amateur.
Am not saying that its bad oh, but learning new programing language is different from starting programing (basic level)
Re: Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? by tonyobj(m): 8:41am On Feb 24, 2010
I started learning programming at the age of 30. It's been fun all these years. It's filled with challenges and once solved makes you feel like a guru.
Guess what? I'm still learning. No one knows enough. So if u love challenges and you love learning, then go for "IT"!

(1) (2) (Reply)

[Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" / Female OAU Graduate Wins N1m In iROKOtv Programming Contest / Were Can A Computer Science Do SWIES / IT

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.