Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,341 members, 7,811,991 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:18 AM

Exploring The Sights And Sounds Of Minna, Niger State - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Exploring The Sights And Sounds Of Minna, Niger State (1496 Views)

Beautiful sights and pictures from IBADAN city!!! / The Lagos Light Rail Project: The Sights, The Feels And The Vibes / Profiling The Beauty Of Lagos: The Sights And The Sounds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Exploring The Sights And Sounds Of Minna, Niger State by ladibright(f): 11:40am On Aug 28, 2017
Hi Everyone, would like you all to read my Travelogue, it happens to be my first attempt at writing. Do let me know what you think..

Exploring the Sights and Sounds of Minna, Niger State
By Yakubu Ladi

The excitement was in the air, I could barely sleep; rolling from one side of the bed to the other, I kept basking in the euphoria of my thoughts about the impending trip to Minna the second day. To be ure, it would be my first time at Minna, it was therestandable why I would be so excited.

The invitation was too good to be refused. My host thought I could benefit from a trip to check out Minna, the capital of Niger State and offered to facilitate it. This was a chance to be in the Power State, the home of two former Presidents of Nigeria - Generals Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida and Abdusalam Abubakar - and home to the country's major hydroelectric power centres. I lapped up the offer and was to be picked up at the Zuba Park in Abuja to kick off the trip. I got there at about 11am on the appointed day, but there was this agonizing wait for over an hour because they must have run into some traffic bottlenecks along the way. Mercifully, I had the constant calls from my host to offer apologies and to assure that they would soon be with me ..

Finaly, they came and the journey to Minna had began in earnest. I could not concede my excitement as we journeyed through; passing the beautiful and unique natural work of rock formation in Madalla. Of course, I am talking about the famous ZUMA ROCK! The giant rock is believed to possess certain powers that rendered enemies powerless and provided the natives with a good hiding place. Hence, it was used for defensive purposes by the Gwari natives against invading neighbouring ethnic groups during the inter ethnic wars. I had done my research in preparation for the trip and this was one of the iconic sight that I was looking forward to. It was a beautiful sight really and I was thrilled.

The journey to Minna was a smooth one, though long. Being that I was seated by the window side in the vehicle, I could watch the scenery rush by and was occasionally getting lost in day dreams of my planned stay in Minna.. However, with the help of Google Map, I could tell where we were, where we were heading and how long it would take us to get there. The place I couldn't find on the map, I would simply look out at sign posts along the road or ask from my host. The trip was proceeding smoothly and after about an hour into it, we had already left behind Suleja, Dikko, Izom, Lambata and heading to Gurara.

At this point, I was getting tired and kept asking if we were close. My host would often respond to assure me: 'very soon ma, it's the bad road o.' Truly the roads weren't that smooth since the better part of it was under construction and we had to be moving on at a regulated speed, dodging pot holes here and there, trying to stay safe. However, beam of hopes splashed on me when we got to Paiko junction and he told me we would be in Minna very soon . .. With a deep sigh, I mumbled "Alhamdulilah". Can't wait!

Few minutes later, the metropolis of Minna welcomed us in its beauty through the well proportioned boulevard. It was a sunny day and one could see the glitz, the elegant road lights, the smoothly tarred road with a green median strip separating the opposing lanes, the structures, among which are the WAEC building and the State College of Education. Billboards advertising different products/persons etc and how the people went about their normal activities with all seriousness left me intrigued. I had a sure feeling that my stay in Minna would be amazing . This foodie couldn't wait to start eating pounded yam since yam is extensively cultivated throughout the city and the State.

We drove to Nasfah Hotels around the southern turban of Minna in Tunga. The hotel is located in a quiet area and a stone throw to the ever busy Shehu Yagbari road. It is a three-star hotel with all the modern features. It has spacious parking facility where visitors could park their vehicles comfortably. I was checked in and guess what?? Wow!! The room is top class with some exceptional and stunning furniture. I just knew I was in the right place from which to have the serenity to explore the city.

I rested for a while and we drove out later same day to a super market to get some of the things I would be needing to make my stay comfy. On our way back, we stopped at the famous Mallam Garba's suya spot to buy balingu. They are known for making the best kinds of meat barbecue(suya). It's so easy to tell from the level of patronage they get. On reaching there, we met men on kaftans sitting on mats. some wore caps, gisting in Hausa probably with zero worries. They must have just finished praying, I thought to myself, while the others, presumably their boys, were attending to customers in turns. Moments later, I was back to the hotel, had dinner, top it with balingu and went to bed. Such a long day!

I woke up the next morning feeling strong and well rested from the journey to the city yesterday. The reflection of the sun into the room through the window was a sure indication that we were already hours into the morning. It was a bright morning actually. I had planned to visit the Nasfah Guest House. To get to the Guest House, we drove through major streets in Minna. From the Shehu Kangbari road to a roundabout connecting us to the ever busy Bosso road. Along that road were the Central Bank, famous Mobil Park, Gionee large mobile shop and other catchy outlets. We made a diversion from Bosso road to Yakubu Lami road which leads to the Government House.

The Government House was a sight to behold. The blue and white painted structure had these "no nonsense" looking security men at the entrance. And yes! I could see it from a far.! Going further down the road was a by pass to London Street which finally leads us to the Guest House. The Guest House has a beautiful view because it's sited on a hill. One can virtually see the whole of Minna from just peeping through the window there. In Bruno Mars voice "Lucky for me that's what I like ". I spent some time there and was back to the hotel later at night to sleep .

The next morning felt brand new and the next place to visit was the Gurara Waterfalls. It was on a Monday and the sun was already out there in the sky. After much preparation, we set out at noon. We drove round the city once again for me to catch some other major parts of Minna before going to Gurara ; amongst which were the General Hospital that is adjacent to the hospital for children, and the Kure market; a popular large market located along the Old Airport road - it is a modern market with infrastructure, space and security, and it has several entrances and up to 20 gates. It was built and commissioned by former Governor Abdulqadir Abdullahi Kure, hence its being named after him.

The temporary campus of FUT, Minna on Bosso Road was also another exciting sight. Prior to the relocation to their permanent site, all academics activities were taking place there. It is significant that the campus is still much functional as I learnt that it houses at present some Faculties and the School of Postgraduate Studies. The Air Force Cantonment was by the road side on the way to the airport. It should be expected that they would be on the same lane and be close to themselves given the commonality of air transport. We didn't need to go inside the airport because it has not been fully functional for some time except for private planes and helicopters on charter.

And then there was the main campus of FUT Minna at Gidan Kwano. It was such a beautiful sight to behold, with students going in and out about their normal activities. I had the urge to go inside the campus and explore the various faculties but time wouldn't let me enjoy that privilege as we were still going to the waterfalls that same day.. Another thing that caught my attention was the students lodges scattered along the road to the main campus. They had such awkward but intriguing names amongst which are, SMS lodge, Sambisa Quartez, Boko Haram Villa, Sai Baba lodge etc. Funny right? I thought so too! But I'm not shocked though, students are so like that!

And it was time to be on our way to Gurara. We stopped by a lady roasting corn for sale by the road side to get some to take along to Gurara. She's in her early twenties, dark in complexion and welcomed me with such an infectious smile.

"Aunty welcome o, you want buy corn? Na fifty naira for one, how many? Make I quickly warm this ones for you " she said in pidgin with so much enthusiasm pointing at the corns hanging on the hot braai. Her free spirit towards her business left me dumbfounded for a while.. as I couldn't utter a word except smiling back at her.

"Aunty but you too fine o, Black Beauty! I wish say I be man, I for marry you" she added and continued to rotate the corn on the barbecue to prevent them from getting burnt. But then that wasn't all, "I go like make you marry my brother o" she said but this time she wasn't smiling, perhaps to prove she's serious and looked up to gaze at me in the face as though she was expecting a reply.. Not knowing what to say I replied jokingly "Your brother get money"? And that was it! She bursted into laughter... I paid for the corn and smiled back to the car still thinking about her.

We continued on the road going on 80km/hour speed, cruising with our roasted maize and water while we identified and discussed various monuments and sights along the way. -so very interesting! I have always wanted to visit Gurara. It’s a quiet town located on the North of Niger and whenever people talk about Gurara, one image that comes to the mind is the Gurara waterfalls.

According to history, the Gurara falls and river were named after two gods once worshipped by Gwari people: Gura and Rara. The community around the waterfalls used to worship the falls. If they had any problems, they used to go to the waterfalls to pray and make sacrifices. However, when some Europeans discovered the falls in 1925, they turned it into a recreational area, and so the sacrifices were stopped. Interesting story!

After about an hour or so on the road, I presumed we were already at the Gurara Waterfalls entrance as our car came to a wobbled halt, where we had to pay to gain access. I was excited! Gurara Falls, here I am! The waterfalls was one of the most popular tourist sites in Nigeria but I have not been here before, so you can imagine if not understand my anticipation. There were only a few persons in sight, perhaps because it was Monday, people mostly tour on weekends because they would be busy in their various offices/businesses during the weekdays.
I wanted to see everything and of course there was a tour guide to show us round. How can I describe what I saw? I can’t, its impossible. You just have to experience it! To gaze in wonder at that magnificent cliff over which the waters tumbled, forming a massive pool about 50 metres below. The waters, running rapidly over rocks, appeared to be boiling underneath. Consistent rains gave the waterfall volume and strength I guess and that intrigued me. I was scared to go close. It wasn't hydrophobia,. I was only trying to avoid a story that touches the heart.

The roaring sound of the waterfall, let alone the strong force of the running water over rocks, which resembled the motion of a diesel truck run amok, was enough to intimidate and scare even the daredevil adventurer. Yes, it was that massive! Nevertheless, to warn reckless fun seekers, there are sign posts erected in the arrival area and in the waters forbidding tourist from swimming. It would simply be suicidal. The tour guide led us down other parts of the falls, we trekked on a rough path, climbing hills and going down slopes.. but the sight that awaited us was more than worth the effort!

I really liked the view, the rocks and the water in between , Gurara Waterfalls is also a fantastic place for bird watching. Of course I took pictures, so many pictures, made videos featuring the view of the water and how it's boiling in the pool. I could stay there all day; I didn't want to leave but Minna was about another one hour drive from Gurara Falls, so we have got to get going.. It's getting late, but one thing was sure: I had fun! I think everyone should visit Gurara waterfalls at least once in their life to experience its unique wonder.

We drove back to Minna at the same speed while talking about my experience back there.. We got back safely, bought dinner from 'Aroma' restaurant along Shehu Yagbari road and went straight to the room at the Hotels. It had been such a long and exciting day.

IBBUL was the next on my Niger State tour list. We set out before noon and it was about an hour journey from Minna to Lapai where the Ibrahim Badamosi Babangida university was located. IBBUL is a beautiful school, the structure and plan are all on point. Each department has it's own parking lot. I had the opportunity to see the Head of Department of Mass Communication, Dr Ende. He was a humble man with a strict look. He has good communication skills but of course he should, he's a communicator. He took me to the Department library where we had a brief discussion about the Department before coming back to his office. The campaign poster of students soliciting to be voted in for different positions could be seen littered all over the Department, an indication that the Department has an active Students Association.

All of a sudden, it was already a week, though it was an exciting week I must say! And knowing that my trip to Minna was coming to an end brought me mixed feelings. I didn't want to leave but I had to. It was time to call an end to the exciting trip to Minna and Niger State, to bid goodbye to Nasfah Hotels, but not without finally accommodating going through Minna uphill to see the residences of General Babangida and Abubakar. Arriving at the Abdusalam Abubakar Park for the journey out of Minna, the cliched expression was completely and fittingly true for me: the more you travel, the more you realize how much more you have to see. I couldn't believe how much it has been exciting for me to take in the sights and sounds of Minna and its environs. As they say, the time between meeting ...and finally leaving is sometimes called falling in love, and so it has been for me: sure that I would want to return because of this!

*Ladi Yakubu is of the Department of Mass Communication, Kogi State University, Anyigba.
Re: Exploring The Sights And Sounds Of Minna, Niger State by highbee24(m): 8:07am On Mar 31, 2018
nice write-up. it was really informative
Re: Exploring The Sights And Sounds Of Minna, Niger State by spiralwedge(m): 12:25am On Apr 01, 2018
Bookmarked.
Reading this first thing when i wake up. Now 00:24.good night

(1) (Reply)

10 Most Dangerous Waters in the World / Your Experience With Virgin Nigerian And Other Nigerian Airlines / Have You Gone To Bayelsa State Before?.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.