Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,468 members, 7,816,092 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:36 AM

How My Husband Plans To Sell Our Child To Pay Dowry' - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How My Husband Plans To Sell Our Child To Pay Dowry' (426 Views)

Am I Wrong To Think My Husband Is Overreacting Because Our Child Isn't His? / I Fainted When My Wife Said Our Former Neighbor Is The Father Of Our Child / Married Woman Disrupts Husband Secret Wedding, Brings Their Child To The Altar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How My Husband Plans To Sell Our Child To Pay Dowry' by ijustdey: 9:19pm On Aug 28, 2017
In a desperate bid to pay his wife’s bride price 10 years after impregnating her and luring her into cohabitation, Mr Ekwene Itba, is planning to sell one of his children to pay the bride price, a divorce-seeking woman, Esther Itba, told an Idi-Ogungun Customary Court at Agodi in Ibadan on Monday.

“My Lord, I kept on worrying him to pay my dowry until we had three children, but he refused until recently when he sought my approval to allow him sell one of our three children to pay the dowry and formalise our marriage,” she said.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Esther had approached the court seeking the dissolution of her 10-year-old “union” on the grounds of non-payment of dowry, ill-treatment and failure to carry out his responsibility.

Esther told the court that Itba made love to her sometimes in 2007 and also impregnated her with a promise to pay her dowry later.

“I thought he was joking but kept on asking me to allow him sell one of our kids if I wanted him to pay the money.

“Also I shouldered alone all the responsibilities for the feeding, school fees and other expenses of the three children.

“I, therefore, urged the court to dissolve the union because I can no longer trust him following his plan to sell one of our children,” she said.

The husband, Itba, denied the allegations, saying he had paid the dowry and also formalised his union with Esther.

He also denied any plan to sell one of his children for any purpose but described Esther as a troublesome woman, who never respected him as a husband.

He, however, objected to the dissolution of the marriage, saying “I do not want the children to suffer”.

The President of the court, Chief Mukaila Balogun, adjourned the case for a possible settlement.

He said the court was more interested in settlement of marriage disputes rather than dissolution, urging the couple to resolve their differences.

The case was adjourned until Sept. 6.

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/general/-how-my-husband-plans-to-sell-our-child-to-pay-dowry/211931.html

lalasticlala
Re: How My Husband Plans To Sell Our Child To Pay Dowry' by okawanyi(m): 9:30pm On Aug 28, 2017
Something must kill a man, either sickness or accident!
Re: How My Husband Plans To Sell Our Child To Pay Dowry' by dominique(f): 9:32pm On Aug 28, 2017
They were never married so what divorce is she looking for again?

In related news, bride price must be abolished. There's nothing dignifying about being bought like a piece of object.
Re: How My Husband Plans To Sell Our Child To Pay Dowry' by Mrjo(m): 10:10pm On Aug 28, 2017
That woman is wicked, see her statement and the man's onw u will kñw meanwhile madam hav u heard that tonto paid her pride prise?

(1) (Reply)

Young And Exceptional Inspirational Speaker And Life Coach. Follow On Instagram! / Man Denies Claim To Divorce Wife In Ondo / How To Be A Morning Person

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.