Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,491 members, 7,816,161 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:52 AM

An Ikwerre Chief Destroys 50 Years Of Propaganda - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / An Ikwerre Chief Destroys 50 Years Of Propaganda (7978 Views)

Niger Delta Group Issuing Ultimatum Cant Tell An Ikwerre Man From An Igbo / Does Buhari Really Hate Igbos, Or Is It Just A Load Of Propaganda? / Is Rivers State On An Ikwerre Agenda? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Ikwerre Chief Destroys 50 Years Of Propaganda by Freemancipation: 12:53am On Aug 29, 2017
For lovers of truth and lovers of freedom please watch this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmnnYaB9NrY

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: An Ikwerre Chief Destroys 50 Years Of Propaganda by Nobody: 12:55am On Aug 29, 2017
Huh how?? grin
Re: An Ikwerre Chief Destroys 50 Years Of Propaganda by Nobody: 1:07am On Aug 29, 2017
Wow!

3 Likes

Re: An Ikwerre Chief Destroys 50 Years Of Propaganda by Nobody: 1:14am On Aug 29, 2017
Freemancipation:
For lovers of truth and lovers of freedom please watch this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmnnYaB9NrY
cc markfemi2, oladeebo, alcatraz005, we-the-south-south

28 Likes 5 Shares

Re: An Ikwerre Chief Destroys 50 Years Of Propaganda by laudate: 1:39am On Aug 29, 2017
Publish the transcript of the video here. What exactly did he say?

4 Likes

Re: An Ikwerre Chief Destroys 50 Years Of Propaganda by Freemancipation: 1:46am On Aug 29, 2017
laudate:
Publish the transcript of the video here. What exactly did he say?

I will highlight his key points later.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Ikwerre Chief Destroys 50 Years Of Propaganda by Freemancipation: 10:08am On Aug 29, 2017
The name ikwerre is not the real name of ikwerre people.

When the white man named "Harcourt" came to purchase land from his father and two other kings, the interpreter always asked the ihuoha people " unu kwerrela?" Meaning do you agree? And the people will answer "a kwerre lam", meaning I agree.

That's how they started calling them ikwerre people.

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: An Ikwerre Chief Destroys 50 Years Of Propaganda by Freemancipation: 10:16am On Aug 29, 2017
During state creation, The king said that Gowon government pressured them to disassociate from their igbo brothers.

In my opinion, Being that igbos lost the war they had no other choice but to survive. So they disassociated themselves from other igbos.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Ikwerre Chief Destroys 50 Years Of Propaganda by Freemancipation: 10:19am On Aug 29, 2017
He said that igweocha is the real name of port harcourt

Port harcourt wharf itself used to be know as olimiri-rebishi

Olimiri is the same as oshimiri which means river in anioma and ogbaru people dialect.

21 Likes

Re: An Ikwerre Chief Destroys 50 Years Of Propaganda by Freemancipation: 10:33am On Aug 29, 2017
Special note: the IPOB man interviewing the chief said that he is from akwa ibom.

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: An Ikwerre Chief Destroys 50 Years Of Propaganda by Freemancipation: 10:36am On Aug 29, 2017
The chief said that his mothers village is in the present day IMO state. During the war, they used to trek to her village.

There they will welcome him and his family and feed them.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Ikwerre Chief Destroys 50 Years Of Propaganda by Freemancipation: 10:44am On Aug 29, 2017
He also pointed out some linguistic and cultural similarities shared with igbos.

16 Likes

Re: An Ikwerre Chief Destroys 50 Years Of Propaganda by pazienza(m): 10:46am On Aug 29, 2017
Where in Ikwerre is the man from?

Is he really a king?
I watched the video and only got his name : Chief Richard Mgbechikwere Dike, LGA - Obio Akpor.

I didn't get the name of his Ikwerre community, and it would appear he is a Chief and not an Eze, so you might need to recaption your thread.

Btw, there are tons of anti Igbo you tube videos from Ikwerre persons out there, the latest being those of Celestine Omehia at the recent Ikwerre national convention in USA.
The likes of this Chief Dike are in the minority in Ikwerre, the majority and mainstream Ikwerre are hooked on the Bini origin and anti Igbo dope.
And would likely dismiss this Dike as an Aro man whose ancestors took root in Ikwerre.

I'm totally tired of this Ikwerre ish, and would be happy if my people would just let this issue be and move on.

38 Likes 5 Shares

Re: An Ikwerre Chief Destroys 50 Years Of Propaganda by Sprumbabafather: 10:47am On Aug 29, 2017
Inasmuch as I believe we have blood relationship with Ikwerres, (maybe) I cannot jubiliate just because one of them decides to grant an interview about it.

If they strongly feel they are part of us, they should identify with us in their numbers and from higher placed and notable Ikwerre people. Or they should stay on their own and enjoy their status as people who got their identity from state creation.

This noise about trying to attach to minorities should stop. All of them should either stay on their own or be the ones asking to be forgiven for their past sins.

I feel more related to an Eskimo than an Ikwerre man.

37 Likes

Re: An Ikwerre Chief Destroys 50 Years Of Propaganda by Okoroawusa: 10:48am On Aug 29, 2017
He is saying nothing new.

But who dat one help?

3 Likes

Re: An Ikwerre Chief Destroys 50 Years Of Propaganda by Freemancipation: 10:52am On Aug 29, 2017
pazienza:

Is he really a king?
I watched the video and only got his name : Chief Richard Mgbechikwere Dike, LGA - Obio Akpor.

I didn't get the name of his Ikwerre community, and it would appear he is a Chief and not an Eze, so you might need to recaption your thread.

Btw, there are tons of anti Igbo you tube videos from Ikwerre persons out there, the latest being those of Celestine Omehia.

You will always find anti Igbo elements in ikwerre land. I am not delusional about it but just like you like to highlight those that are anti Igbo, it is also important to give audience to those that are pro igbos.

The man said that his father is a king and was one of the three kings approached by the white man for land purchase. I don't know why he would lie about that.

32 Likes

Re: An Ikwerre Chief Destroys 50 Years Of Propaganda by FKO81(m): 10:53am On Aug 29, 2017
Freemancipation:
During state creation, The king said that Gowon government pressured them to disassociate from their igbo brothers.

In my opinion, Being that igbos lost the war they had no other choice but to survive. So they disassociated themselves from other igbos.
Only bitters souls and jealous tribes hates truth, they tried their best to cage Igbos but they couldn't, their agenda was to make Igbos poorest tribe they didn't succeed, today we are richest, most industrious, leading in education and produced more inventors in Africa. More will be reveal, success grab many friends. Those who planned our downfall are the ones doing gate-man, shoes maker, local herbal medicine sellers all over our streets, carrying loads in our markets etc.

43 Likes 5 Shares

Re: An Ikwerre Chief Destroys 50 Years Of Propaganda by pazienza(m): 10:58am On Aug 29, 2017
Freemancipation:

You will always find anti Igbo elements in ikwerre land. I am not delusional about it but just like you like to highlight those that are anti Igbo, it is also important to give audience to those that are pro igbos.

The man said that his father is a king and was one of the three kings approached by the white man for land purchase. I don't know why he would lie about that.

I think I heard Chief and not King

His father, the elder Dike was one of the three chiefs of his part of Ikwerre, that were involved in the PH land acquisition by the British.

Is Chief same as King?

Nevertheless, I appreciate Ikwerre men like him that are sticking to the truth despite the odds against them.

But my point is that we can learn to embrace men like him, without embracing the rest of Ikwerre.
The toxic Igbophobia emanating from Ikwerre mainstream is too harmful to our long term Igbo national interest.
Germany embraced an Austrian(Hitler) that embraced Germany.

What do you think ?

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: An Ikwerre Chief Destroys 50 Years Of Propaganda by pazienza(m): 11:01am On Aug 29, 2017
Sprumbabafather:
Inasmuch as I believe we have blood relationship with Ikwerres, (maybe) I cannot jubiliate just because one of them decides to grant an interview about it.

If they strongly feel they are part of us, they should identify with us in their numbers and from higher placed and notable Ikwerre people. Or they should stay on their own and enjoy their status as people who got their identity from state creation.

This noise about trying to attach to minorities should stop. All of them should either stay on their own or be the ones asking to be forgiven for their past sins.

This is the point I had gotten to with Igboid groups.

And I think in time. The rest of Igbo people will reach this same point too.

I remember that at a point, I was just like many other Igbos on this issue, desperately trying to reconnect all Igbo speaking people. It all gets too exhausting and tiring at some point, and then you stop caring.

14 Likes

Re: An Ikwerre Chief Destroys 50 Years Of Propaganda by Dicksonokeke(m): 11:03am On Aug 29, 2017
Brand new sumec Gen spg 3000 for sale at an affordable price. For Abuja residents only.
65k 08038441572.
Spec::;

Sumec Firman SPG 3000 Generator MANUAL NO KEY STARTER
AC Output: 220V 2.8kva Max, 2.5kva Rated
DC Output: 12V/8.3A
Phase No.: Single Phase
Engine -SPE200E, Max6.5HP, 4-stroke single cylinder, OHV, air cooled
Alternator- Brush, self-exciting, synchronous,2-pole,100% Copper Enameled Wire

Re: An Ikwerre Chief Destroys 50 Years Of Propaganda by Freemancipation: 11:07am On Aug 29, 2017
pazienza:

I think I heard Chief and not King

His father, the elder Dike was one of the three chiefs of his last of Ikwerre, that were involved in the PH land acquisition by the British.

Is Chief same as King?

Nevertheless, I appreciate Ikwerre men like him that are sticking to the truth despite the odds against them.

But my point is that we can learn to embrace men like him, without embracing the rest of Ikwerre.
The toxic Igbophobia emanating from Ikwerre mainstream is too harmful to our long term Igbo national interest.
Germany embraced an Austrian(Hitler) that embraced Germany.

What do you think ?

I totally agree with everything you said. Knowing the contemporary history of ndi ikwerre and their attitude towards the rest of igbos, its is always important to approach any interaction or relationship with caution.

But I also want ndigbo to embrace people like that man and not treat them like the rest of the scums. The pro-Igbo ikwerre might be the silent majority that we often don't hear from because we give too much attention to the ones that hate us.

****I have changed the title to chief

13 Likes

Re: An Ikwerre Chief Destroys 50 Years Of Propaganda by attackgat: 11:09am On Aug 29, 2017
Freemancipation:
The name ikwerre is not the real name of ikwerre people.

When the white man named "Harcourt" came to purchase land from his father and two other kings, the interpreter always asked the ihuoha people " unu kwerrela?" Meaning do you agree? And the people will answer "a kwerre lam", meaning I agree.

That's how they started calling them ikwerre people.

With the discovery of huge deposits of Coal at Enugu in 1909, the British needed a port to be built to ship the Coal to Europe. Thats when the then British colonial secretary , Vernon Harcourt, approached Diobu Chiefs to buy the land known as "Igu-Ocha" which upland Igbos call 'Igweocha'. After the port was built, it was renamed Portharcourt after Vernon Harcourt and the entire area adopted the name.

As for Ikwerre being Igbo or not, it remains ever controversial since an Ikwerre man like late Elechi Amadi will say "Ikwerre are not Igbo!"

Then another Ikwerre man like former Governor Chibuike Amaechi will say "I hope nobody will deny me my Igbo heritage"

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: An Ikwerre Chief Destroys 50 Years Of Propaganda by dokiOloye(m): 11:19am On Aug 29, 2017
Once worked in Elele in Rivers state,and sometimes when I need to take d biodata of a patient,when it reaches to d aspect of tribe,when I ask some if they're Igbo,some will shake their head vehemently and say they're Ikwere and I'd laugh sometimes to d hearing of d patient cos dude is speaking d Imo dialect of Igbo language and nothing else.
Hausa/Fulani and their Yoruba conductor propaganda coalition have done these ones a strong thing.
As someone stated earlier,they are d only group in d world who seem to have gotten their identity from state creation.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: An Ikwerre Chief Destroys 50 Years Of Propaganda by pazienza(m): 11:21am On Aug 29, 2017
Freemancipation:

I totally agree with everything you said. Knowing the contemporary history of ndi ikwerre and their attitude towards the rest of igbos, its is always important to approach any interaction or relationship with caution.

But I also want ndigbo to embrace people like that man and not treat them like the rest of the scums. The pro-Igbo ikwerre might be the silent majority that we often don't hear from because we give too much attention to the ones that hate us.

****I have changed the title to chief
Good

5 Likes

Re: An Ikwerre Chief Destroys 50 Years Of Propaganda by Eastfield1: 11:30am On Aug 29, 2017
pazienza baba.
you got a point.
let us ignore them.
they will run to us when the PH Issue with the Ijaw land Grabbers hit up.
since Tonyebarcanister showed hop@hand the concocted Novel of how Ikwerrre lost PH to Ijaw.
We hardly see anti Igbo comments from him nawadays

13 Likes

Re: An Ikwerre Chief Destroys 50 Years Of Propaganda by Obi1kenobi(m): 11:40am On Aug 29, 2017
To be honest, I'm not sure why people are bothered by it. In a quest for land and resource control, their elders for decades have successfully fed the Ikwerre masses a steady diet of Igbophobia and they are well indoctrinated in it. Self-determination of their identity is their inalienable right. Continuing the dispute over their identity only feeds their fears of Igbo imposition and dominance as well as feeding their feelings of self-importance. If Ikwerres were an Igboid group in poor, rural communities in Benue or Ebonyi denying their Igbo heritage, we wouldn't give a shiiit, and they'll be less likely to to aggressively deny their Igboid roots in the irrational fear we want to steal their land and "oyel".

Props to the political foresight of the North. We love to insult the Northerners as illiterates, but their deft political manoeuvres have successfully balkanized the East of the country. This division in the South is why the North will continue to be the dominant political players in Nigeria.

12 Likes 5 Shares

Re: An Ikwerre Chief Destroys 50 Years Of Propaganda by pazienza(m): 12:56pm On Aug 29, 2017
Eastfield1:
pazienza baba.
you got a point.
let us ignore them.
they will run to us when the PH Issue with the Ijaw land Grabbers hit up.
since Tonyebarcanister showed hop@hand the concocted Novel of how Ikwerrre lost PH to Ijaw.
We hardly see anti Igbo comments from him nawadays

I don't even think we need to meddle into the Ijaw-Ikwerre PH ish.

What we need is a sea access, Ikwerre can't give us that, as that route pass through Bonny area, currently controlled by Ijaws . Even with Ikwerre, we would still have the Obuaku current bottle neck. We would need to negotiate international treaties to bypass those bottlenecks.

Ijaws themselves are cornering the entire coastline of the better south, from Edo (Gelegele) to Akwaibom( they are claiming Ibeno and Eastern Obolo, as Andoni is currently aligned to Ijaw).

They are spread too thin and can't maintain those coastlines post Nigeria with their meagre population and bitter determined neighbors.

I had sat down and analyzed these variables and found out that we are better off staying off the Ijaw move for PH.

If we play our cards well and stay off this Ikwerre-Ijaw issue, we can make use of those conditions to secure for ourselves the sea access we need.

Ndiigbo need to let the Ikwerres be. It's strategic to do so. Ijaws are not our enemies, anymore than Ikwerres are, emotionalism need to give way to pragmatism for the Igbo nation to progress.
Peeps are not emotionally hindered from using us to play games to get what they want, we should also be ruthless enough to use peeps to play games to get what we want.
This is survival 101, and it's about time Ndiigbo started taking a crash program on it.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Ikwerre Chief Destroys 50 Years Of Propaganda by Abagworo(m): 1:05pm On Aug 29, 2017
pazienza:

I'm totally tired of this Ikwerre ish, and would be happy if my people would just let this issue be and move on.

I totally agree with you. Ikwerre is distinct and that should be respected by Igbos no matter how similar the language.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Ikwerre Chief Destroys 50 Years Of Propaganda by cumbak60: 1:06pm On Aug 29, 2017
Obi1kenobi:
To be honest, I'm not sure why people are bothered by it. In a quest for land and resource control, their elders for decades have successfully fed the Ikwerre masses a steady diet of Igbophobia and they are well indoctrinated in it. Self-determination of their identity is their inalienable right. Continuing the dispute over their identity only feeds their fears of Igbo imposition and dominance as well as feeding their feelings of self-importance. If Ikwerres were an Igboid group in poor, rural communities in Benue or Ebonyi denying their Igbo heritage, we wouldn't give a shiiit, and they'll be less likely to to aggressively deny their Igboid roots in the irrational fear we want to steal their land and "oyel".

Props to the political foresight of the North. We love to insult the Northerners as illiterates, but their deft political manoeuvres have successfully balkanized the East of the country. This division in the South is why the North will continue to be the dominant political players in Nigeria.
The Brit sold the idea to them. The British are masters of divide and rule. Most Ikwerre people don't deny their Igbo heritage, its just that they don't like shouting about it like others. From Igwuruta upwards, most don't even know about this Bini migration theory, except of recent.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: An Ikwerre Chief Destroys 50 Years Of Propaganda by freshest4live: 1:07pm On Aug 29, 2017
Sprumbabafather:

we are all Nigerians in the end, whether Ikwere, fulani, Edo, Hausa, etc. Its our Zoo, one Zoo one people one love.

2 Likes

Re: An Ikwerre Chief Destroys 50 Years Of Propaganda by Tkester: 1:10pm On Aug 29, 2017
pazienza:

Is he really a king?

Btw, there are tons of anti Igbo you tube videos from Ikwerre persons out there, the latest being those of Celestine Omehia at the recent Ikwerre national convention in USA.
The likes of this Chief Dike are in the minority in Ikwerre, the majority and mainstream Ikwerre are hooked on the Bini origin and anti Igbo dope.
And would likely dismiss this Dike as an Aro man whose ancestors took root in Ikwerre.

I've de same concern with you. Sometimes I wish we can just let this Ikwerre people and other minority groups in the ND be. We just need to identify core Igboids group in ND and work with them for a referendum. These mushroom groups are making things difficult for us in getting our so much desired referendum.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

IPOB: Federal Government Girls' College Umuahia Refuses To Sing National Anthem / Photos Of Cars Burnt As APC Thugs Clash With Igbo Traders At Dei Dei Market, Abu / BREAKING: APC Leading In 12 States, Labour Party 4 (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.