Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,771 members, 7,809,974 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:05 PM

It Is Not A Big Deal To Monitor Social Media Accounts Of Nigerians – Garba Shehu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / It Is Not A Big Deal To Monitor Social Media Accounts Of Nigerians – Garba Shehu (1124 Views)

''We Have Exceeded Our Promises To Nigerians'' - Garba Shehu Says On PMB's Govt / FG Orders Security Agencies To Monitor Social Media Posts Of ‘prominent Nigerian / We Now Monitor Social Media For Anti-Government And Anti-Military Information – (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

It Is Not A Big Deal To Monitor Social Media Accounts Of Nigerians – Garba Shehu by nwakibie3(m): 1:00pm On Aug 29, 2017
The Senior Special Assistant to President Muhammadu Buhari on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, has said he does not believe it should be a big deal if the presidency monitors social media accounts of citizens as a measure to contain the rising spate of hate speech in the country.

Shehu stated this during an appearance on Channels Television’s ‘Politics Today’ which was anchored by Seun Okinbaloye.

According to the Presidential aide, it was not out of place if President Muhammadu Buhari mandated the military to monitor the social media as long as it was part of their “national security duties”.

While defending Buhari for his concern about the use of the social media for promoting extremism, Shehu said: “I know that this country, in fact, the whole world has a big problem with balancing free speech and what we call in this country hate speech.

“It has many faces depending on which country you are dealing with. In most of these European countries, (and) America, they are dealing with Islamic terror. In America, white extremism and all of that… All of it fed substantially by the Internet.

“I believe that people can justified that. A lot of countries are taking notes. If Nigeria does it, I don’t know. I’m in a position to say ‘yes’ or ‘no’. But if it happens in this country, it is not extraordinary, it is not unusual. Everybody is interested. Look, this thing about international terrorism is big and nobody is leaving it to chances.”

When asked if the government was monitoring the calls of Nigerians; Shehu responded: “I am not aware of that.”

Although Shehu is “not aware” of the monitoring of calls, he is quick to maintain that the Internet now feeds extremism.

http://dailypost.ng/2017/08/29/not-big-deal-monitor-social-media-accounts-nigerians-garba-shehu/

1 Like

Re: It Is Not A Big Deal To Monitor Social Media Accounts Of Nigerians – Garba Shehu by DaBillionnaire: 1:01pm On Aug 29, 2017
nwakibie3:
The Senior Special Assistant to President Muhammadu Buhari on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, has said he does not believe it should be a big deal if the presidency monitors social media accounts of citizens as a measure to contain the rising spate of hate speech in the country.

While defending Buhari for his concern about the use of the social media for promoting extremism, Shehu said: “I know that this country, in fact, the whole world has a big problem with balancing free speech and what we call in this country hate speech.

Mr. Garba,

Even if you have to defend the President, you need to try watch your speech amidst the present mood of nigerians.

do your job honourably and sincerely. grin
Re: It Is Not A Big Deal To Monitor Social Media Accounts Of Nigerians – Garba Shehu by Nobody: 1:03pm On Aug 29, 2017
they can equally use it to victimize nigerians when it come to federal recruitment
Re: It Is Not A Big Deal To Monitor Social Media Accounts Of Nigerians – Garba Shehu by evy1(m): 1:04pm On Aug 29, 2017
What a wow
Re: It Is Not A Big Deal To Monitor Social Media Accounts Of Nigerians – Garba Shehu by chinoxstock: 1:05pm On Aug 29, 2017
Anything you fools WANNA DO TO Nigerians please do.. The people residing in Nigeria are idiots.

1 Like

Re: It Is Not A Big Deal To Monitor Social Media Accounts Of Nigerians – Garba Shehu by DaBillionnaire: 1:05pm On Aug 29, 2017
Re: It Is Not A Big Deal To Monitor Social Media Accounts Of Nigerians – Garba Shehu by unohbethel(m): 1:08pm On Aug 29, 2017
hhmm shehu/APC and their lies..

the bitter truth is that nigerians now view anything from the presidency as containing 98% lies and only 2% truth..

the worst part is that they arent working to build this lost trust rather the most thing that occupies their mind is n. kanu and his arrest..wich means that kanu is really givin them sleepless nights..

we are biafrans..we are determined/resolute..no matter wat the fed gov do, we must get biafra..thanks

2 Likes

Re: It Is Not A Big Deal To Monitor Social Media Accounts Of Nigerians – Garba Shehu by GavelSlam: 1:20pm On Aug 29, 2017
Government should crack down hard on people who choose to use the Internet as a medium for scaremongering, hate speech and outright falsehood.

If you are not in the business of using the Internet for criminal acts you should be supportive of government's monitoring.

2 Likes

Re: It Is Not A Big Deal To Monitor Social Media Accounts Of Nigerians – Garba Shehu by pauljumbo: 1:23pm On Aug 29, 2017
It's better to monitor the this government than social media
Re: It Is Not A Big Deal To Monitor Social Media Accounts Of Nigerians – Garba Shehu by DOUBLEWAHALA: 1:24pm On Aug 29, 2017
after monitor what do you do next?
Re: It Is Not A Big Deal To Monitor Social Media Accounts Of Nigerians – Garba Shehu by Paperwhite(m): 2:28pm On Aug 29, 2017
Idiot,ewu,mumu,.............abeg someone give me more adjectives.Social media the APC used unrestricted for the most poisonous political campaign ever but now don't want to be served a dose of their own medicine? They have never pursue any policy that will make life bearable for the Nigerian masses but only inflicted unprecedented hardship, pain, anguish, starvation, suicide/attempted suicide among many ills.E no go better for Garba Shehu and anything APC.Coven of Satan.

1 Like

Re: It Is Not A Big Deal To Monitor Social Media Accounts Of Nigerians – Garba Shehu by richidinho(m): 2:40pm On Aug 29, 2017
***In BMC's voice***

GEJ also monitored social media so PMB is right to do same grin grin

Shameless govt!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: It Is Not A Big Deal To Monitor Social Media Accounts Of Nigerians – Garba Shehu by Paperwhite(m): 2:41pm On Aug 29, 2017
GavelSlam:
Government should crack down hard on people who choose to use the Internet as a medium for scaremongering, hate speech and outright falsehood.

If you are not in the business of using the Internet for criminal acts you should be supportive of government's monitoring.
Then let it start with the idiot that put up this press release and the useless government he is representing.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: It Is Not A Big Deal To Monitor Social Media Accounts Of Nigerians – Garba Shehu by GavelSlam: 2:42pm On Aug 29, 2017
Paperwhite:
Then let it start with the idiot that put up this press release and the useless government he is representing.

It is inevitable.

Government needs to be proactive.
Re: It Is Not A Big Deal To Monitor Social Media Accounts Of Nigerians – Garba Shehu by gurunlocker: 2:46pm On Aug 29, 2017
If they've been doing the right thing, fulfilling their promises and not denying them, not spending 40% of the year in diaspora. Then their won't be hate speech...
Re: It Is Not A Big Deal To Monitor Social Media Accounts Of Nigerians – Garba Shehu by Paperwhite(m): 2:47pm On Aug 29, 2017
[/b]"According to the Presidential aide, it was not out of place if President Muhammadu Buhari mandated the military to monitor the social media as long as it was part of their “national security duties”[b] So Buhari is above the sovereignty of the Nigerian constitution that guaranteed free speech whether It's pro or anti-government? See aboki warped reasoning To think that Garba Shehu was a one time president of the NUJ makes me wonder whether education is really important for those in the corridor of power. embarassed

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: It Is Not A Big Deal To Monitor Social Media Accounts Of Nigerians – Garba Shehu by rozayx5(m): 2:50pm On Aug 29, 2017
Silly govt

Buhari is a curse

Erunz I see u
Re: It Is Not A Big Deal To Monitor Social Media Accounts Of Nigerians – Garba Shehu by BlackBaron: 2:53pm On Aug 29, 2017
I have no problem with crackdown on hate speeches but the weaknesses of institutions in Nigeria. Where is the guarantee that the Head or staff in this institution would not then operate outside of their jurisdiction by abusing their power for other reasons.

Before we know it, it'll become another political tool or another self styled 'J. Hoover'-esque type of operation.
Re: It Is Not A Big Deal To Monitor Social Media Accounts Of Nigerians – Garba Shehu by Nobody: 2:54pm On Aug 29, 2017
One of the hallmarks of dictatorship is media black out,and silencing the voice of the masses.

Babangida killed the print media in the early 90s.

Social media is one thing Nigeria's current kleptomaniacs dont know how to handle.

APC wants to silence the masses and the opposition under the guise of monitoring hate speech.

How APC repackaged a former dictator and sold to Nigerians as a democrat is the 8th wonder of the world.

THE SUN MUST SET FORTH AT DAWN.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: It Is Not A Big Deal To Monitor Social Media Accounts Of Nigerians – Garba Shehu by bolubillionaire(m): 2:56pm On Aug 29, 2017
I really dont like d way dis administration addresses some issues.... They talk asif our opinions dont matter... Laughing over serious matters and all sorts.....
Re: It Is Not A Big Deal To Monitor Social Media Accounts Of Nigerians – Garba Shehu by Omeokachie: 3:00pm On Aug 29, 2017
Even the devil asked Jesus to jump from a mountain, as well as turn stones into bread.

Same response he gave is what I have for you Garba Shehu (Mr Rodents)..."get thee behind me devil".
Re: It Is Not A Big Deal To Monitor Social Media Accounts Of Nigerians – Garba Shehu by Iamzik: 3:04pm On Aug 29, 2017
chinoxstock:
Anything you fools WANNA DO TO Nigerians please do..
The people residing in Nigeria are idiots.

The only idiot I see here is the brainless one who typed the trash up there

1 Like 1 Share

Re: It Is Not A Big Deal To Monitor Social Media Accounts Of Nigerians – Garba Shehu by Iamzik: 3:06pm On Aug 29, 2017
GavelSlam:

You need to build bigger cell and prisons cos una go crack down taya

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: It Is Not A Big Deal To Monitor Social Media Accounts Of Nigerians – Garba Shehu by chinoxstock: 3:06pm On Aug 29, 2017
Iamzik:

The only idiot I see here is the brainless one who typed the trash up there

Are you sure you are okay? Your useless leaders are eating away your future and you are here fooling yourself.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: It Is Not A Big Deal To Monitor Social Media Accounts Of Nigerians – Garba Shehu by Iamzik: 3:14pm On Aug 29, 2017
chinoxstock:

Are you sure you are okay? Your useless leaders are eating away your future and you are here fooling yourself.

Falacy of generalization...
Who is the fool between me and you??

Start by telling us your present country of residence unless you are typing from heaven at the right hand of God

1 Like 1 Share

Re: It Is Not A Big Deal To Monitor Social Media Accounts Of Nigerians – Garba Shehu by GavelSlam: 3:15pm On Aug 29, 2017
Iamzik:

You need to build bigger cell and prisons cos una go crack down taya

Why build more when you can all be cramped like sardines into a the present infrastructure?
Re: It Is Not A Big Deal To Monitor Social Media Accounts Of Nigerians – Garba Shehu by Jesusloveyou: 3:16pm On Aug 29, 2017
If idiotic pig's of Biafra are not afraid why the fear
Re: It Is Not A Big Deal To Monitor Social Media Accounts Of Nigerians – Garba Shehu by Arrester171(m): 3:17pm On Aug 29, 2017
After Nigerians will be insulting north Korea
Re: It Is Not A Big Deal To Monitor Social Media Accounts Of Nigerians – Garba Shehu by chinoxstock: 3:19pm On Aug 29, 2017
Iamzik:

Start by telling us your present country of residence unless you are typing from heaven at the right hand of God

You don't have sense. It is goats like you that defend the stupidity and foolishness of useless administrations even to your own detriment. Peddler of lies and stupidity! Devils!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: It Is Not A Big Deal To Monitor Social Media Accounts Of Nigerians – Garba Shehu by Iamzik: 3:20pm On Aug 29, 2017
GavelSlam:

Why build more when you can all be cramped like sardines into a the present infrastructure?

Please go ahead.

Buhari will be the first to get locked up.

Shall we bring up the history of his hate speeches?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: It Is Not A Big Deal To Monitor Social Media Accounts Of Nigerians – Garba Shehu by Iamzik: 3:26pm On Aug 29, 2017

chinoxstock:

You don't have sense. It is goats like you that defend the stupidity and foolishness of useless administrations even to your own detriment. Peddler of lies and stupidity! Devils!

Usual modus operandi of people who talk before they think.

Feel free to call whatever name you want to call.

Simple question you can't answer.
What is your present location? Abi the country no get name?

You called everyone in Nigeria Idiot.
If I disagree with you then it means I'm defending the government? Very warped logic

Like I said it takes a person who has donated his brain to type the trash you typed up there
Re: It Is Not A Big Deal To Monitor Social Media Accounts Of Nigerians – Garba Shehu by Iamzik: 3:28pm On Aug 29, 2017

Iamzik

chinoxstock:

Usual modus operandi of people who talk before they think.

Feel free to call whatever name you want to call.

Simple question you can't answer.
What is your present location? Abi the country no get name?

You called everyone in Nigeria Idiot.
If I disagree with you then it means I'm defending the government? Very warped logic

Like I said it takes a person who has donated his brain to type the trash you typed up there

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria Soldiers Used Trucks To Run Over IPOB Members / Obasanjo Finally Writes, Blasts Presidency (pics) / Poverty Rate In The North Alarming, Says Sanusi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.