Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,306 members, 7,839,489 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 08:29 PM

An Atheist's Argument: Views On The Paradox Between Christian Beliefs / Actions - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / An Atheist's Argument: Views On The Paradox Between Christian Beliefs / Actions (1019 Views)

A Comparison Between Christian Doctrine And Mormon Doctrine / Difference Between Christian And Muslim Fast / What Are Your Views On Supernatural Occurrences? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Atheist's Argument: Views On The Paradox Between Christian Beliefs / Actions by InesQor(m): 5:54am On Feb 22, 2010
This was a letter that Ray Comfort (blogger at Atheist Central, known on the Way of the Master series with Kirk Cameron) received from an anonymous person who claimed to be an atheist, way back in the 90's.  smiley

Letter extracted from http://raycomfortfood..com/2008/07/letter-from-atheist.html

. . .
"You are really convinced that you've got all the answers. You've really got yourself tricked into believing that you're 100% right. Well, let me tell you just one thing. Do you consider yourself to be compassionate of other humans? If you're right, as you say you are, and you believe that, then how can you sleep at night? When you speak with me, you are speaking with someone who you believe is walking directly into eternal damnation, into an endless onslaught of horrendous pain which your 'loving' god created, yet you stand by and do nothing.

If you believed one bit that thousands every day were falling into an eternal and unchangeable fate, you should be running the streets mad with rage at their blindness. That's equivalent to standing on a street corner and watching every person that passes you walk blindly directly into the path of a bus and die, yet you stand idly by and do nothing. You're just twiddling your thumbs, happy in the knowledge that one day that 'walk' signal will shine your way across the road.

Think about it. Imagine the horrors Hell must have in store if the Bible is true. You're just going to allow that to happen and not care about saving anyone but yourself? If you're right then you're an uncaring, unemotional and purely selfish (expletive removed) that has no right to talk about subjects such as love and caring."
. . .
Re: An Atheist's Argument: Views On The Paradox Between Christian Beliefs / Actions by InesQor(m): 6:03am On Feb 22, 2010
My opinion of this anonymous atheist's perspective is that he/she expects Christians to feel the weight of the pending damnation to the extent that they wild-eyed, mad with rage to protect a human life, should accost everyone they encounter and yell at them until they submit to the Lordship of Jesus, much the same way a truly compassionate human will do anything at the risk of appearing insane to stop people from driving to their death over a cliff. 

This is like the same way Will Smith, in a ravingly mad conspiracy-inclined manner in I, Robot kept trying to tell people to stay clear of the evil NS-5 robot series, and he looked foolish, paranoid, and broke the law when it was necessary to do so, in order to protect the human race.  shocked

But it looks like the atheist is fighting with a fallacious argument, because it mocks whatever hard work may be behind the scenes on the part of that Christian. Besides there are no previous Biblical patterns: because neither Jesus nor his apostles acted as this man proposes, in as much as they felt the weight of the guilty souls around them. They did not go about it like chickens with their heads cut off.  undecided

And there are also a lot of assumptions bundled up into those accusations by the atheist: the nature of God, the nature and origin of hell, the form that salvation should take. I believe we cannot save anyone from hell like you'd save them from getting hit by a bus, "for it is by grace you have been saved, through faith–and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God" (Ephesians 2:8 ).   cool
Re: An Atheist's Argument: Views On The Paradox Between Christian Beliefs / Actions by InesQor(m): 12:35pm On Feb 22, 2010
Meaningful contributions are welcome from all and sundry in this discussion, no matter your viewpoint with respect to religion or God. Thanks. smiley
Re: An Atheist's Argument: Views On The Paradox Between Christian Beliefs / Actions by Nobody: 12:42pm On Mar 07, 2013
InesQor:
And there are also a lot of assumptions bundled up into those accusations by the atheist: the nature of God, the nature and origin of hell, the form that salvation should take. I believe we cannot save anyone from hell like you'd save them from getting hit by a bus, "for it is by grace you have been saved, through faith–and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God" (Ephesians 2:8 ).   cool
And what are these assumptions?

And yeah, I'm going through your old threads.. smiley
Re: An Atheist's Argument: Views On The Paradox Between Christian Beliefs / Actions by Babadeen(m): 1:39pm On Mar 07, 2013
Jesus actually ran mad as the atheist suggested

-He went around with 12 men and no income, peaching (the son of man has no hole to lay his head)
-He sacrificed himself (suicide) to make people learn about forgiveness

The atheist has a point, the bible is a sick horror story. Just imagine for once that hell is real and the monster called Yaweh will send good bhuddists, atheists, pagans etc to the torture chamber called hell where his fallen angel can cast unspeakable horrors while they burn in hell.

It does matter if the pagan or atheist is good like Ghandi or Wole Soyinka, he will be kept in the same lake of fire as a murderer or r.apist.

Very chiling to think that this is what many christians think
Re: An Atheist's Argument: Views On The Paradox Between Christian Beliefs / Actions by Nobody: 2:43pm On Mar 07, 2013
Following...
Re: An Atheist's Argument: Views On The Paradox Between Christian Beliefs / Actions by ooman(m): 2:53pm On Mar 07, 2013
GOD CREATED THE HORRORS OF HELL, HE SHOULD FIND A WAY TO LET EVERYONE KNOW ABOUT HIM IN A WELL CONVINCING WAY RATHER THAN EXPECT US TO WORSHIP HIM ON BLIND FAITH
Re: An Atheist's Argument: Views On The Paradox Between Christian Beliefs / Actions by Babadeen(m): 3:27pm On Mar 07, 2013
ooman: GOD CREATED THE HORRORS OF HELL, HE SHOULD FIND A WAY TO LET EVERYONE KNOW ABOUT HIM IN A WELL CONVINCING WAY RATHER THAN EXPECT US TO WORSHIP HIM ON BLIND FAITH

Can you imagine that God left his message to be carried to Nigeria by slave traders?

So christian slave traders that repent will go to heaven while the shackled, whipped and rap.ed ancestors of ours that died pagan will go to hell.

Mtchew, our forefathers will be turning in their graves
Re: An Atheist's Argument: Views On The Paradox Between Christian Beliefs / Actions by Nobody: 3:34pm On Mar 07, 2013

If you're right, as you say you are, and you believe that, then how can you sleep at night? When you speak with me, you are speaking with someone who you believe is walking directly into eternal damnation, into an endless onslaught of horrendous pain which your 'loving' god created, yet you stand by and do nothing.

If you believed one bit that thousands every day were falling into an eternal and unchangeable fate, you should be running the streets mad with rage at their blindness.

Funny, if the theists do this, we (well I would) call them mad and ask that they be locked up in the closest sanitarium for psychiatric evaluation.

Anyways, I'm more interested in the 'assumptions' Inesqor made reference to.
Re: An Atheist's Argument: Views On The Paradox Between Christian Beliefs / Actions by Babadeen(m): 3:39pm On Mar 07, 2013
musKeeto:

Funny, if the theists do this, we (well I would) call them mad and ask that they be locked up in the closest sanitarium for psychiatric evaluation.

Anyways, I'm more interested in the 'assumptions' Inesqor made reference to.

That is not an objection to such a problem. The problem is that their belief is mad- claiming that we would lock them up as mad men if they followed their belief doesnt change the fact that the belief is mad.
Re: An Atheist's Argument: Views On The Paradox Between Christian Beliefs / Actions by Nobody: 3:42pm On Mar 07, 2013
Babadeen:

That is not an objection to such a problem. The problem is that their belief is mad- claiming that we would lock them up as mad men if they followed their belief doesnt change the fact that the belief is mad.

And my point is made wink

(1) (Reply)

Standing Tall And Strong Through Prayer / Why Does Christians Disturb Everyone With Blasting Music In The Morning / God Is A Ghanaian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.