Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,076 members, 7,818,220 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:38 AM

What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? (30744 Views)

Izzi-Ezaa-Mgbo-Ikwo dialect cluster / Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning / How Well Do You Understand Other Dialect Of Your Language? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by dejavski(m): 8:17am On Sep 02, 2017
onuwaje:

Itsekiri will say Mo Wi nobon lol

How u see this one wen be my friend surname Ojobon lol

Ojobon? dat should be ojo obon( market day?) looool....he was probably born on a market day

but e funny sha...se dem nor go dey use am do true like dis
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by onuwaje(m): 8:21am On Sep 02, 2017
dejavski:

Ojobon? dat should be ojo obon( market day?) looool....he was probably born on a market day

Yes o..

1 Like

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by dejavski(m): 8:27am On Sep 02, 2017
fratermathy:

There is one singer called Waje. I don't know if you know her. Is she Itsekiri too?

waje's full name: Aituaje Iruobe
I think that's where she shortened. it to waje

According to my own understanding Aituaje suppose mean(we nor fit get second chance to spend our wealth)
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by Efewestern: 8:35am On Sep 02, 2017
dejavski:

I know someone bearing ojobon, in urhobo it means Edeki

why Me kpe ki means "I go market"

our language differs a lot, but urs is same with itseke

1 Like

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by rhektor(m): 10:20am On Sep 02, 2017
onuwaje:
Oga means goat in Ahoada (Rivers State)

Tht name dn almost put me for wahala

What part of Ahoada? Engenni or Ekpeye?
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by onuwaje(m): 10:32am On Sep 02, 2017
rhektor:

What part of Ahoada? Engenni or Ekpeye?

Ekpeye

1 Like

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by onuwaje(m): 10:33am On Sep 02, 2017
Atoto... Full meaning is Agbomitoto .

It's means a child who's brought up with water.

Person just tell me now

Itsekiri
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by rhektor(m): 12:57pm On Sep 02, 2017
onuwaje:

Ekpeye

OK, I remember my days in those communities
Although in Engenni communities
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by aniomafirstson: 10:16pm On Sep 03, 2017
igbodefender:
I repeat, 'Otofe' is a praise name used only to greet a married woman in Anioma, and it means 'ote ofe' or 'cooker of soup'. (The Anioma love soup so much, and cherish a woman who can cook it.)

The reason the 'e' in 'ote ofe' becomes swallowed when written is that the Igbo linguistic principle of Olilo Udaume is applied. It is like greeting someone with the words, 'Chairman!'

The greeting for married men is 'Ejeh'.

hmm good to know

greeting for elderly men is ajeh not ejeh
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by Phut(f): 1:03am On Sep 07, 2017
EZEIGBO1OFIMO:
it's actually udó, the verb phrase meaning to draw, which can be a noun phrase representing rope. udó(to draw [out]) idó(drawing [out]) -continuos tense
Do = Draw
Ido = To draw
Odo = One who draws

Udo = Peace
Udo can also mean rope (noun). Udo however does not mean, To Draw. Udo is not a verb
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by Eke40seven(m): 6:47am On Sep 07, 2017
rhektor:

OK, I remember my days in those communities
Although in Engenni communities
How was it?
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by rhektor(m): 6:56am On Sep 07, 2017
Eke40seven:

How was it?

It was fun o, Okarki Engenni to be precise. Oniso Buana. Wonderful people there good bit tough
But their names are always funny to me. South south people dey get funny funny names

Goodhead,
Fyneface
I was like which one be fine face? grin
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by onuwaje(m): 7:31am On Sep 07, 2017
rhektor:

It was fun o, Okarki Engenni to be precise. Oniso Buana. Wonderful people there good bit tough
But their names are always funny to me. South south people dey get funny funny names

Goodhead,
Fyneface

I have been to Okarki
D village dat demarcates Bayelsa from Rivers

Their fresh fish pepper soup still rings on my head (2013)
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by rhektor(m): 7:40am On Sep 07, 2017
onuwaje:

I have been to Okarki
D village dat demarcates Bayelsa from Rivers

Their fresh fish pepper soup still rings on my head (2013)

You are right bro, I used to tell my colleagues that that Okarki is politically rivers but geographically Bayelsa. Funny tho but true

1 Like

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by onuwaje(m): 9:22am On Sep 07, 2017
rhektor:

You are right bro, I used to tell my colleagues that that Okarki is politically rivers but geographically Bayelsa. Funny tho but true

Yea i see that place as Bayelsa

1 Like

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by Eke40seven(m): 12:55pm On Sep 07, 2017
rhektor:

Goodhead,
Fyneface
Yeah! Names like 'Fineboy' and 'Finegirl' are quite common, whether they live up to their names is a different matter.

In Ahoada West, I think there are three main languages, Ogbogolo, Engenni (Edoid language) and Ekpeye (Igboid).

1 Like

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by onuwaje(m): 5:18pm On Sep 09, 2017
Urhobo

Ajekwoyibo
(Make dem run from white men

Oyiboajeke
Na white men dem de run from

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Igbo Day In Abuja: Onu, Ezeife, Uwazuruike Attend (photos) / Photos: Killing Of Twins In Fct (Gwagwaladagist.com) / 10 Countries With The Most Languages 2023

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.