Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,958 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:58 AM

TV Continental (TVC) Treating Interns Like 'Slaves' - NewTelegraphOnline - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / TV Continental (TVC) Treating Interns Like 'Slaves' - NewTelegraphOnline (31474 Views)

Banks Turning Female Marketers To Sexual Slaves – Senator Ayo Akinyelure / Inner Galaxy Group Treating Nigerians Like Slaves / Coronavirus: TVC Slashes Staff Salaries - Politics Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: TV Continental (TVC) Treating Interns Like 'Slaves' - NewTelegraphOnline by enemyofprogress: 4:09pm On Sep 02, 2017
ayagha:

Dude u funny mehn, how do u tell xter from the looks of a lady's breast
don't you see the way her breasts are always shouting grab me grab me under her clothes?
Re: TV Continental (TVC) Treating Interns Like 'Slaves' - NewTelegraphOnline by zarza450: 4:11pm On Sep 02, 2017
A lot of Nigerias been complaining on how to open a PayPal account and how to make it big on fiverr.. drop your numbers now, so that we can get started
Re: TV Continental (TVC) Treating Interns Like 'Slaves' - NewTelegraphOnline by opeaceo: 4:21pm On Sep 02, 2017
nutigal:

Before you also quote me, you should be sensible to get your facts right ok? An interview is not conducted. They write a test which has to do with simple English, maths and the rest. Does writing a simple test equate excellence in writing and producing news they were supposed to learn in school? Obviously you are an aggrieved party and your posts have elements of ignorance in them, that is why you would slander someone (Morayo) you don't even know. Dem say Dem say. com

Aggrieved party? Now your rantings are beginning to drain common sense.

I'm an avid follower of her programme "your view". If you're one, you'll notice that at any slight opportunity, she complains about the interns working there - their lack of patience, lack of good attitude, yadi yadi yada. My honest question is this, If you don't treat your interns right, do you expect an excellent attitude from them?

Why would a news outlet conduct a simple English and maths teat for its interns? Na common entrance dem won write? Don't worry, its my fault that their selection process is faulty.

BTW, you need to check the meaning of slander again.

1 Like

Re: TV Continental (TVC) Treating Interns Like 'Slaves' - NewTelegraphOnline by opeaceo: 4:31pm On Sep 02, 2017
ayagha:

Oh! that explains her bias towards certain politicians.Its well with the ordinary Nigerian without a Godfather.

For that lady saying nonsense about me slandering. This is one I episode cant forget.

https://youtu.be/GbEWkNgna J8

Close up the spaces nawtygirl.

Whatever inclinations she have is none of my business, but calling out interns every time when you treat them like animals isn't good.

4 Likes

Re: TV Continental (TVC) Treating Interns Like 'Slaves' - NewTelegraphOnline by opeaceo: 4:33pm On Sep 02, 2017
enemyofprogress:
don't you see the way her breasts are always shouting grab me grab me under her clothes?

Is it her breasts you watch when the show is going on? You need a dose of common sense.
Re: TV Continental (TVC) Treating Interns Like 'Slaves' - NewTelegraphOnline by enemyofprogress: 5:41pm On Sep 02, 2017
opeaceo:

Is it her breasts you watch when the show is going on? You need a dose of common sense.
keep pretending as if you don't watch them
Re: TV Continental (TVC) Treating Interns Like 'Slaves' - NewTelegraphOnline by Nobody: 6:26pm On Sep 02, 2017
Rapsowdee01:
It's not only TVC that is like that !!

A middle class fabrication company i did my SIWES in also treated me and my friends that way....

Initially, they said they don't want IT students because IT students are stubborn and disrespectful... We didn't decipher this at first and just begged them because registration was almost closing.....

The first day of our internship, we got there 7am and the manager told us to "Please help us quickly sweep the office and workshop"... We thought the cleaner was sick or something.....

The sweeping went on and on and from "Please sweep" it became "Can't you people sweep"......

Like that wasn't enough, the toilet that they hadn't clean in over 8 months and their staffs weren't using again because it was too dirty, we were asked to wash and clean it.....

We were they're errand boys. We'd go to buy food, wash clothes and even cars !!!!

We went there as Maintenance Engineers but they took away the ENGINEERING part and left us with the maintenance.....

The CEO treated us badly too.... We gave him our Logbooks to sign, he didn't sign it until the week we were going and he said until we cleared the grass and cleaned the whole workshop before he can sign it....... We sha did it and he signed our books and gave us #10,000 for the 3 months......

I'm not saying the money he gave us wasn't enough or whatever.... I'm just saying the way IT students are being treated is becoming another thing and the body responsible for it should see into it.....

WE ARE STUDENTS, NOT APPRENTICES !!!!!

©Rapsowdee

Yaba College Of Technology, Yaba, Lagos.
Which dept are you.. I know its only this year they did siwes for 3 months..
Re: TV Continental (TVC) Treating Interns Like 'Slaves' - NewTelegraphOnline by R3B3L(m): 8:15pm On Sep 02, 2017
DeBlackArabian:
please what are you talking about? Do even know what internship means? Does it include washing dishes and toilet? I guess those are part of the skills in your resume..... Mchewwww!
yes I know who an intern is and wat it entails. I'm saying it's a norm for d post to b an abusive one from d employers and not necessarily a Nigerian tin. People who apply der know they will b treated poorly but apply all d same because of d name of d coy and not d experience gotten der.
Re: TV Continental (TVC) Treating Interns Like 'Slaves' - NewTelegraphOnline by pokipoki: 8:43pm On Sep 02, 2017
comshots:
To think that tvc is established with looted funds,to now be maltreating the owners of such funds is outrageous.Oya vex well.
Looted funds? So you are now a judge advocate. I suggest you try and loot funds and set up your business. Then hire people to run it anyhow. Anyway, like i previously mentioned, if they don't like the working conditions, they should quite. Everyone knows what is happening in Nigeria!!!!
Re: TV Continental (TVC) Treating Interns Like 'Slaves' - NewTelegraphOnline by tobloj(m): 10:52pm On Sep 02, 2017
pokipoki:

Looted funds? So you are now a judge advocate. I suggest you try and loot funds and set up your business. Then hire people to run it anyhow. Anyway, like i previously mentioned, if they don't like the working conditions, they should quite. Everyone knows what is happening in Nigeria!!!!
People like you are our problem. Cus everyone knows what's happening makes it right abi. Your mumu don do.
Re: TV Continental (TVC) Treating Interns Like 'Slaves' - NewTelegraphOnline by NarnieSnyper(m): 12:14am On Sep 03, 2017
The truth is that, as an intern, payment isn't compulsory but only if the company wants to.

During my time, I was told I wasn't gonna be paid, I agreed, I told the MD that I was there for the experience and not pay because with the experience, I am sure it'll pay me in the future. He smiled and was impressed with that.....
But treating them as Janitors is a big no-no. That's a big scam.
They should even report to SIWES co-ordinators
Re: TV Continental (TVC) Treating Interns Like 'Slaves' - NewTelegraphOnline by Ugosample(m): 12:52am On Sep 03, 2017
nutigal:
This is just a deliberate attempt to malign the organisation. I work there and interns DON'T WASH TOILETS.
If u say they don't get remuneration for the period of their internship, that's true but the toilet? that's a malicious lie from the pit of hell.
See, internship is not by force. I also went through worse where I did mine. You have the choice to stay or leave. Those who are learning tailoring do not sit and just learn under their master, they run errands work related or not despite the fact that they pay to even learn.
It is so simple, if you can't stand the heat, then get out of the kitchen.

This is the typical Nigerian mentality tho
Treat those "beneath" you like trash.
As an intern, you should be trained on the job, running errands is secondary, and which in itself is not a crime, but when it is lorded over you, then e get as e be.

But do they have a choice?
They just have to endure till they get what they want, the price for being born in a Zoo undecided
Re: TV Continental (TVC) Treating Interns Like 'Slaves' - NewTelegraphOnline by Ugosample(m): 12:53am On Sep 03, 2017
NarnieSnyper:
The truth is that, as an intern, payment isn't compulsory but only if the company wants to.

During my time, I was told I wasn't gonna be paid, I agreed, I told the MD that I was there for the experience and not pay because with the experience, I am sure it'll pay me in the future. He smiled and was impressed with that.....
But treating them as Janitors is a big no-no. That's a big scam.
They should even report to SIWES co-ordinators

precisely my point
Re: TV Continental (TVC) Treating Interns Like 'Slaves' - NewTelegraphOnline by Ugosample(m): 12:54am On Sep 03, 2017
Ishilove:

Just because a mode of doing things has become a culture of sort does not make it right. A person went there to get practical training, not do menial jobs that have nothing to do with why they are there in the first place.

If you went through worse then it shows there is something deeply wrong with the Nigerian system, which is why we are where we are today because if undergraduates of Mass Comm spends close to one year making tea, sweeping, mopping and washing plates instead honing their skills, then, how on earth do you expect them to learn? Why do you think saner and more developed countries will always remain 'more developed' than us Nigerians?

Look, madam, there is no excuse for how these people treat interns. We are our own worst enemies.

Please tell her again
Re: TV Continental (TVC) Treating Interns Like 'Slaves' - NewTelegraphOnline by Omakh: 3:46pm On Sep 03, 2017
Okay. I just rounded up my 6months internship with TVC NEWS.
And here are the facts.

It depends on who you are working with.
The person I worked with is someone who is extremely professional and not one to allow her interns participate in any form of menial job. This staff makes sure to carry along and tutor his interns in the art of news and tv production. I learnt alot from him and for that I'll be forever grateful to him.

But however, There are alot of interns at TVC who are not as fortunate as I was.
They were never asked to watch toilets, But they were put through a whole lot of other crap. Such as

-Washing of dishes

-running of ridiculous errands such as buying of food for staff(sometimes under the rain), going grocery shopping, washing of server racks, cleaning of programms set, fixing coffee and tea etc...

-Rude and intimidating actions from the staff- most staff take pleasure in insulting and intimidating interns.

-Sexual harassment by some male staff on the female interns(This is very common by the likes of Mr Tolu- a senior business news correspondence/anchor -i'm sure you've seen him countless times on TV, he usually reads business news on TVC news). This guy should be sued.

-Uncomfortable working conditions- TVC NEWS suffers from shortage of office chairs, and because of this there are barely enough chairs in the Newsroom. So most times interns are made to stand or sit on tables(with the risk of been yelled at by a staff for not sticking to work place rules)

-Unpleasant work hours. Despite the fact that interns are not being paid by TVC, they are made to work ridiculous hours, with the new WAKE UP NIGERIA programm on TVC entertainment, interns in that department are made to resume as early as 6:30am and most times close as late as 6-7pm. Some interns even work on weekends and public holidays.

-"interns are nothing" perspective of the TVC management. This is a very common thing in alot if organizations, but its worse in Tvc. Interns in Tvc are not even given reasonable I.D cards, rather they are given silly worn out tags(some with bad card rope, while some are made of paper). And if for any reason these tags are misplaced by an intern, he/she is required to pay N1000 for them. TVC doors are operated by key cards, these doors provide connection to the work areas of TVC, there's no way you would work at TVC and not use these doors at least 10 times a day. And Yes interns are not given these key cards, and in-between running errands, an average intern at TVC uses this doors at least 20 times a day. So without key cards, they are meant to stand at the door hoping a staff will walk by and perhaps open the door for them.

These actions and many more makes TVC a terrible place to consider doing your iT, unless you are one of the lucky few who is assigned to a reasonable person. And even with that u still have to deal with other issues like the sexual harrasment and "interns are nothing" syndrome.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: TV Continental (TVC) Treating Interns Like 'Slaves' - NewTelegraphOnline by DeBlackArabian: 6:42pm On Sep 03, 2017
Omakh:
Okay. I just rounded up my 6months internship with TVC NEWS.
And here are the facts.

It depends on who you are working with.
The person I worked with is someone who is extremely professional and not one to allow her interns participate in any form of menial job. This staff makes sure to carry along and tutor his interns in the art of news and tv production. I learnt alot from him and for that I'll be forever grateful to him.

But however, There are alot of interns at TVC who are not as fortunate as I was.
They were never asked to watch toilets, But they were put through a whole lot of other crap. Such as

-Washing of dishes

-running of ridiculous errands such as buying of food for staff(sometimes under the rain), going grocery shopping, washing of server racks, cleaning of programms set, fixing coffee and tea etc...

-Rude and intimidating actions from the staff- most staff take pleasure in insulting and intimidating interns.

-Sexual harassment by some male staff on the female interns(This is very common by the likes of Mr Tolu- a senior business news correspondence/anchor -i'm sure you've seen him countless times on TV, he usually reads business news on TVC news). This guy should be sued.

-Uncomfortable working conditions- TVC NEWS suffers from shortage of office chairs, and because of this there are barely enough chairs in the Newsroom. So most times interns are made to stand or sit on tables(with the risk of been yelled at by a staff for not sticking to work place rules)

-Unpleasant work hours. Despite the fact that interns are not being paid by TVC, they are made to work ridiculous hours, with the new WAKE UP NIGERIA programm on TVC entertainment, interns in that department are made to resume as early as 6:30am and most times close as late as 6-7pm. Some interns even work on weekends and public holidays.

-"interns are nothing" perspective of the TVC management. This is a very common thing in alot if organizations, but its worse in Tvc. Interns in Tvc are not even given reasonable I.D cards, rather they are given silly worn out tags(some with bad card rope, while some are made of paper). And if for any reason these tags are misplaced by an intern, he/she is required to pay N1000 for them. TVC doors are operated by key cards, these doors provide connection to the work areas of TVC, there's no way you would work at TVC and not use these doors at least 10 times a day. And Yes interns are not given these key cards, and in-between running errands, an average intern at TVC uses this doors at least 20 times a day. So without key cards, they are meant to stand at the door hoping a staff will walk by and perhaps open the door for them.

These actions and many more makes TVC a terrible place to consider doing your iT, unless you are one of the lucky few who is assigned to a reasonable person. And even with that u still have to deal with other issues like the sexual harrasment and "interns are nothing" syndrome.

Thank you very much... With all this testimony from different people... Some people are still saying this is a sponsored post.. God bless you o jare!
Re: TV Continental (TVC) Treating Interns Like 'Slaves' - NewTelegraphOnline by pokipoki: 6:55pm On Sep 03, 2017
tobloj:

People like you are our problem. Cus everyone knows what's happening makes it right abi. Your mumu don do.
Hahahaha. You lack common sense, probably due to do the home videos you have been watching. My advice do more research with the internet and forget social media.
Re: TV Continental (TVC) Treating Interns Like 'Slaves' - NewTelegraphOnline by tobloj(m): 1:08pm On Sep 07, 2017
pokipoki:

Hahahaha. You lack common sense, probably due to do the home videos you have been watching. My advice do more research with the internet and forget social media.
Once again, your mumu don do

1 Like

Re: TV Continental (TVC) Treating Interns Like 'Slaves' - NewTelegraphOnline by pokipoki: 2:50pm On Sep 09, 2017
tobloj:

Once again, your mumu don do
Hahahaha. Be a "human" and argue with sense.
Re: TV Continental (TVC) Treating Interns Like 'Slaves' - NewTelegraphOnline by tobloj(m): 9:05pm On Sep 09, 2017
pokipoki:

Hahahaha. Be a "human" and argue with sense.
See u with sense, telling me to argue with sense when m not even arguing at all. Your zombiesm is beyond imagination walahi.
Don't expect me to reply u again. And pls, stay off my mention. Finally, before i forget,
your mumu don do. grin grin
Re: TV Continental (TVC) Treating Interns Like 'Slaves' - NewTelegraphOnline by Nobody: 9:37pm On Sep 09, 2017
Damn!

That's not fresh from tvc. Currently doing my intern at a federal organization and i only go to office once a week.

Dem neva born person wey go turn me to boi-boi cos of IT.
Re: TV Continental (TVC) Treating Interns Like 'Slaves' - NewTelegraphOnline by JazzMode: 10:50pm On Sep 09, 2017
Isnt it Tinubu's TVC?
Re: TV Continental (TVC) Treating Interns Like 'Slaves' - NewTelegraphOnline by pokipoki: 11:08pm On Sep 09, 2017
tobloj:

See u with sense, telling me to argue with sense when m not even arguing at all. Your zombiesm is beyond imagination walahi.
Don't expect me to reply u again. And pls, stay off my mention. Finally, before i forget,
your mumu don do. grin grin
Hahahaha. Calling names won't change anything. Don't run away. I still insist that you put up a strong argument.
Re: TV Continental (TVC) Treating Interns Like 'Slaves' - NewTelegraphOnline by LaLuminous: 5:38am On Sep 13, 2017
opeaceo:

If you want to support something, please be commonsensical about it. This isn't about money ish. How many companies pay their intern? Very few. With what you wrote up there, I sincerely hope you're not an editor with the said company.

They can't write a simple story, but an interview is conducted before employment? Easy with the lies abeg.

I am sad that it took this long before I caught wind of this nonsensical story being posted about TVC. It really is! I was privileged to be at TVC as an intern for round about 8 weeks and I have this to say "it was the best experience in my entire four years as a Mass Communication student in the University of Lagos". To those yarning gibberish about TVC, I've really got to ask you guys, what value did you bring to the table or you expect that as an intern who wants to learn you are excused from having common sense about what you want to learn about. TVC was the best place I could have interned and I keep telling 300,200 and 100 level students in my department the same thing. There, just like anywhere you want to excel, you are faced with the choice of detwrmining your own fate. While I was there, I was attached to a programme (Trends) and I worked with an outstanding young man who oversaw the production of the show (Damilola Oduolowu). Trends airs on Tuesdays, I resumed work on a Tuesday (Dec. 13,2016) and to my initial surprise, he sat me down, opened some of the previous scripts for the show and told me to write the script for that day. Even though I had written scripts for several productions in school, this was new, scary, knowing that I was about to write a script for a programme that did not just air in Nigeria but all over Africa and in the UK and some other countries, I sat for hours on a script for a show that only lasted about 45 minutes. He came back to meet me around 12. I was expecting him to trash it. He said "this is good!!!" And that's how we began. He only made minor corrections. Within the same week, I helped another producer scribble something for her show. I did voice overs and before I left, I edited some of the episodes for rerun and online. I was never asked to buy anything. In fact, the only time I went to help someone, I offered! She was sick yet she couldn't just ask me. There was respect. There always is respect for potentials. If Miss or Mr A did not go there with an empty head, they won't be used to do house chores. I know about wake up Nigeria and it's a premium show that started after I left. The only reason they will ask you to wash tea cups is for them to serve guests while they are in the green room like they do for the breakfast show. And that is something I will gladly do and get back on set. Develop yourself and don't just go to TVC to be a slay queen or King. TVC is for brains. Don't go there emptt headed. You won't learn nada. A dead brain can't actually assimilate nada, so please make sure your brain is not defunct! As for the media house that reported this, I hope you are not a major news outlet because if you are, i fear for the future of journalism in this country save for organisations like TVC, Channels and some finger countable organisations. I drop my pen here. And unlike those who will hide under the comfort of anonymity and be keypad warriors, I will put my name to it. Coz it's from my brain i typed this dope stuff.
It is Joseph Odeh (400 level, Department of Mass Communication, University of Lagos)
Come to school in case you doubt, I'm quite popular. Pheew!
Re: TV Continental (TVC) Treating Interns Like 'Slaves' - NewTelegraphOnline by opeaceo: 7:56pm On Sep 14, 2017
LaLuminous:

I am sad that it took this long before I caught wind of this nonsensical story being posted about TVC. It really is! I was privileged to be at TVC as an intern for round about 8 weeks and I have this to say "it was the best experience in my entire four years as a Mass Communication student in the University of Lagos". To those yarning gibberish about TVC, I've really got to ask you guys, what value did you bring to the table or you expect that as an intern who wants to learn you are excused from having common sense about what you want to learn about. TVC was the best place I could have interned and I keep telling 300,200 and 100 level students in my department the same thing. There, just like anywhere you want to excel, you are faced with the choice of detwrmining your own fate. While I was there, I was attached to a programme (Trends) and I worked with an outstanding young man who oversaw the production of the show (Damilola Oduolowu). Trends airs on Tuesdays, I resumed work on a Tuesday (Dec. 13,2016) and to my initial surprise, he sat me down, opened some of the previous scripts for the show and told me to write the script for that day. Even though I had written scripts for several productions in school, this was new, scary, knowing that I was about to write a script for a programme that did not just air in Nigeria but all over Africa and in the UK and some other countries, I sat for hours on a script for a show that only lasted about 45 minutes. He came back to meet me around 12. I was expecting him to trash it. He said "this is good!!!" And that's how we began. He only made minor corrections. Within the same week, I helped another producer scribble something for her show. I did voice overs and before I left, I edited some of the episodes for rerun and online. I was never asked to buy anything. In fact, the only time I went to help someone, I offered! She was sick yet she couldn't just ask me. There was respect. There always is respect for potentials. If Miss or Mr A did not go there with an empty head, they won't be used to do house chores. I know about wake up Nigeria and it's a premium show that started after I left. The only reason they will ask you to wash tea cups is for them to serve guests while they are in the green room like they do for the breakfast show. And that is something I will gladly do and get back on set. Develop yourself and don't just go to TVC to be a slay queen or King. TVC is for brains. Don't go there emptt headed. You won't learn nada. A dead brain can't actually assimilate nada, so please make sure your brain is not defunct! As for the media house that reported this, I hope you are not a major news outlet because if you are, i fear for the future of journalism in this country save for organisations like TVC, Channels and some finger countable organisations. I drop my pen here. And unlike those who will hide under the comfort of anonymity and be keypad warriors, I will put my name to it. Coz it's from my brain i typed this dope stuff.
It is Joseph Odeh (400 level, Department of Mass Communication, University of Lagos)
Come to school in case you doubt, I'm quite popular. Pheew!

Who cares if you're a student from the university of Lagos, who cares if you're in your 400level, who effing cares if you're popular?

You left a comment that puts a credence to this post above and replied mine because

Honestly, your rants are Bl_ood-y depressing. muah, should go to the university of Lagos to search for one Joseph because? Chineke aju!
Re: TV Continental (TVC) Treating Interns Like 'Slaves' - NewTelegraphOnline by TTIS: 7:57pm On Sep 14, 2017
Lets help develop your skills in various

vocational course such as

Electrical and electronics repair,

Vehicle electrical fault diagnosis and

non vocational course such as

finance and accounting,

finance and auditing

currency trading

real estate management with focus on materials supply in various building projects.

These areas have high demand for services and are not subject to market forces....

We will provide free business plan, execution and connect your proposed business to crowdfunding organizations

We will teach you how to leverage existing businesses in providing quality services for your clients

Everyone cries no money but customers will pay to get their electronics fixed, generators repaired, their cars repaired and their house renovated and built.

Meaning you will always get paid providing these services.

Hard work and lifelong skills will breed tremendous success and keep you there....

So reach us today on

tegfordfinancial@gmail.com or via whatsapp on 08054775938
Re: TV Continental (TVC) Treating Interns Like 'Slaves' - NewTelegraphOnline by oyindatella(f): 12:29pm On Sep 27, 2018
Its true what's happening in TVC, But its not TVC as a company that enslaves interns, Its the people working there. The people there can make your life miserable!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Corporal Fauzziyah Shoney Detained For Resigning From The Police / Happy To Finally Resume My Aircraft Maintenance Engineering Licence Course / Nigerians React To The FRSC Commander Who Cut Female Staff's Hair

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.