Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,139 members, 7,818,430 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:23 PM

How To Earn Cash On Campus - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Earn Cash On Campus (490 Views)

The Ordeal And Triumph Of A Female Colleague On Campus / Unilag Student Survives Ritualist Attack On Campus ( Photo) / Bostwana Student Wears Towel To Campus (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Earn Cash On Campus by Nobody: 7:02pm On Sep 01, 2017
Is your request for your montly allowance always subjected to the 3rd degree? Questions like, what are you using your money for? Hope you're not spending your money on girls? Followed by statements like "I used only 200 Naira per semester when I was in the University".

The part about 200 Naira might be true,but parents/guardians always leave out the fact that the cost of living increased exponentially expensive over time and in case you have probably been living in a cave, we are in a recession!!!!

Personally, I am opportune to have experienced a massive increase in price of basic household goods over the few years I have been in the University.

During my 100 level days, I withdraw 4000 Naira weekly and also had 1000 Naira left for savings. I had more than enough to buy clothes and shoes I didn't even wear and gagdets I could do without and went on outings. 

Now I am in my 4th year, I spend more than 1,000 Naira a day and in a week I spend over 10,000 Naira. I no longer have enough savings to buy new clothes or even go to watch a movie. 

Some days ago, I was complaining to my friends that I couldn't afford to go on dates as I am constanly being reminded of how that 10,000Naira is someone's monthly salary.

The irony is that, in the last 3 years I have reduced the number of things I spend money on,so what changed?

Reality strikes you the first time you move from eating chicken and chips to soaking garri without even groundnuts.

Then the question on almost every university student's mind becomes "How do I make this money?" I have researched and compiled a short list of 5 businesses you can do on campus with little capital and still leave you enough time for school work. I have tried my hands on some of these businesses and the rest from collegues.

1. MAKE UP ARTISTRY

Initially I was confused when I started seeing MUA on the profiles of some of my female colleagues.

Isn't applying makeup just as easy as applying powder on your face? I used to think it was until I had a discussion with one of my female friends which lasted almost an hour on the complex physics in make up artistry. 

What my friend knew was how to expertly apply the make up which she did for free but what she didn't realise was the financial gains if she decided to get paid for "helping" friends and students to apply their make up. If only I had the patience to wield an eyeliner. 

One important tip though, start early, most preferably before your first year, customers tend to be draw to the big names more than skill, don't get me wrong skill is necessary.

2. PHOTOGRAPHY

Photography is another business venture that has a lot of potentials to earn extra cash, getting a professional camera may be expensive.

You can buy a fairly used one and if you have the right business mindset, it won't take you more than half a year to get back the money you spent on a camera. 

So why is photography a good business venture on campus.

Every year different departments, associations, halls organize events. 
Student politicians need pictures for campaign posters and if you're good enough, they won't bother calling an outsider to take pictures. Imagine being the only photographer in your class, department, faculty, hall, you're automatically getting the contract
Girls take tons of pictures, every girl I know has at least 3 photographers on her contact list (though not relevant to our discussion, photographer tend to date some of the hottest girls) some girls have this vanity that a phone camera cannot satisfy, here's where the photographer comes in.
Check sauceandsound next week for ''how to start a successful photography business on campus" featuring big campus photographers don't miss a thing. Submit your email to subscribe to our newsletter.

3. Entertainment 

I keep emphasizing that the best place to start your music career is on campus. Musicians are the big boys or girls on campus, comedians are adored, dance groups are on point the list goes on. 

There are so many shows on campus, hosted by the school down to your department and individuals. 

If you are an entertainer, your demand automatically increases, you get called for shows in and outside of school, you perform at dinners, parties and other events. 

Then if you have the right business mindset you can organize shows with other performers for the money. People will always turn up as long as there are girls.

Read 7 things every aspiring musician should know

4. GRAPHICS DESIGNING

Musicians may be the big boys but graphics designers are the ones making most of the money. 

I had to learn a bit of graphics designing after I was billed handsomely for one of my projects. I still don't know enough to start working for people but at least I can design what I want. 

If you take a walk round any university campus you see various sort of banners, adverts, election posters etc hanging on every available space. Students don't go outside of campus anymore to get their designs done, they would rather engage the services of a fellow student. You could earn tens of thousands from just one project alone.

5. Modeling

Most models on campus don't really earn cash although they get other forms of incentives. However modeling can also lurch you into pagentry which has a lot of goodies attached to it, you can earn money, become an ambassador of a product and kickstart a wonderful career from there. 

You need a good manager that can direct you on how to convert your talent into a career. Modelling agencies do that too.

Saucemoney is a project under sauceandsound that aims to assist campus entrepreneur achieve their dreams, we release weekly tips on how to run a successful business on campus. There is a difference between a professional and entrepreneur. 

www.sauceandsound.com

Re: How To Earn Cash On Campus by Lagboyinibadan(m): 6:11pm On Sep 03, 2017
Selling stuff too

(1) (Reply)

Auchi Polytechnic Post Utme Form Is Out / IELTS Vs. TOEFL: Which Should You Take To Study Abroad? / Learn Qur'an Easily Online

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.