Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,817 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:40 AM

Magnus Carlsen Vs Femi Balogun - Chess Cup Match 2017 - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Magnus Carlsen Vs Femi Balogun - Chess Cup Match 2017 (24532 Views)

Iranian Teen Shocks Chess Grandmaster Magnus Carlsen To Win $14,000 Prize / See How Salah Was Surprised On His Birthday After Losing World Cup Match. Photos / Mikel Obi Leads Super Eagles Players For Team Walk Ahead Of World Cup Match.PICS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Magnus Carlsen Vs Femi Balogun - Chess Cup Match 2017 by Nobody: 5:29pm On Sep 03, 2017
We should organize a nairaland chess tournament someday.. With small contributions and all

1 Like

Re: Magnus Carlsen Vs Femi Balogun - Chess Cup Match 2017 by Basic123: 5:30pm On Sep 03, 2017
Omonoba1:
It's a walkover for Carlsen though...but the Balogun guy has made a reputation for himself.
What if he eventually beat carlsengrin
Re: Magnus Carlsen Vs Femi Balogun - Chess Cup Match 2017 by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 5:37pm On Sep 03, 2017
yorex2011:
Booked for my own history tongue tongue grin grin

I started playing chess when I was 9 but due to lack of coaching and steady play, I didnt really improve so much. I cudve been a GM by now if i had access to a good teacher and good books.. grin grin grin

I generally like tactics but recently had to start learning to be positional.
my favourite openings as white are the ruy lopez and fischer variation of the sicilian and as black i like playing the dragon sicilian, najdorf sicilian or the Queen's Gambit Decline (if offered).

I'm generally better in classical chess than blitz

My favourite parts of the game are the middle and end games.

I dont have an official rating but will prolly put myself at maybe 1700

If you're still 1700 then there's no way you would ever have become a GM even with coaching.
Re: Magnus Carlsen Vs Femi Balogun - Chess Cup Match 2017 by Franky826: 5:37pm On Sep 03, 2017
Just hate when opponents exchange their queens. That's where the real game starts. With queen you can be guarding everywhere feeling like a Lil boss. When she's gone you better learn how to defend your territory with your wits else a skilled player flying with their Knights can just sneak in and checkmate you. You'd swear you were sleeping with your eyes wide open grin

3 Likes

Re: Magnus Carlsen Vs Femi Balogun - Chess Cup Match 2017 by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 5:41pm On Sep 03, 2017
KevinDein:
I love chess but I'm not really good at it, reason being I grew up in an environment where no one plays it.

Guys in the house, is it possible for a grown up to learn it and be really good at it? Can anyone recommend tutorial centres/apps/books one can use to help with the learning...

I'd really appreciate a response. smiley

What do you mean by 'good' ? If you're aiming to become an IM or GM, no way.
If you're playing to improve and for pleasure, yes. Hundreds of resources online. Fastest way is to join a club. There's one in most major cities.
Re: Magnus Carlsen Vs Femi Balogun - Chess Cup Match 2017 by WarriAproko: 5:42pm On Sep 03, 2017
Franky826:
Just hate when opponents exchange their queens. That's where the real game starts. With queen you can be guarding everywhere feeling like a Lil boss. When she's gone you better learn how to defend your territory with your wits else a skilled player flying with their Knights can just sneak in and checkmate you. You'd swear you were sleeping with your eyes wide open grin
grin
Franky826:
carsen made femi to fall for the trap by sacrificing queen. pls what's d score
Re: Magnus Carlsen Vs Femi Balogun - Chess Cup Match 2017 by yorex2011: 5:44pm On Sep 03, 2017
IamaNigerianGuy:

If you're still 1700 then there's no way you would ever have become a GM even with coaching.

Shey grin grin?
Re: Magnus Carlsen Vs Femi Balogun - Chess Cup Match 2017 by Omonoba1: 5:49pm On Sep 03, 2017
Basic123:

What if he eventually beat carlsengrin
lol..Mission impossible,, chess is a game of tactics and strategy not luck.. How can he beat a man who had a draw with Kasparov at the age of 13?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Magnus Carlsen Vs Femi Balogun - Chess Cup Match 2017 by uglodoh(f): 5:55pm On Sep 03, 2017
yorex2011:

Shey grin grin?
I beg , is the game still on, if not who won.
Re: Magnus Carlsen Vs Femi Balogun - Chess Cup Match 2017 by KevinDein: 5:55pm On Sep 03, 2017
IamaNigerianGuy:

What do you mean by 'good' ? If you're aiming to become an IM or GM, no way.
If you're playing to improve and for pleasure, yes. Hundreds of resources online. Fastest way is to join a club. There's one in most major cities.
Thanks grin
Re: Magnus Carlsen Vs Femi Balogun - Chess Cup Match 2017 by alex81(m): 5:56pm On Sep 03, 2017
WarriAproko:
nairaland need better web for it to be possible

not on nairaland.

1 Like

Re: Magnus Carlsen Vs Femi Balogun - Chess Cup Match 2017 by alex81(m): 5:57pm On Sep 03, 2017
SmartyPants:

I'm very very interested in this...
Would we create a private tournament on a site like chess.com or something?

exactly! create a private tournament online. all players must be on chessdotcom.
Re: Magnus Carlsen Vs Femi Balogun - Chess Cup Match 2017 by SmartyPants(m): 6:29pm On Sep 03, 2017
alex81:

exactly! create a private tournament online. all players must be on chessdotcom.

I have looked into it...it requires premium membership.

I'll see if i can get that and then ill open up a thread and tag you and others in it. Conversely, if you or others can sign up for premium membership, that person could just take the lead on this
Re: Magnus Carlsen Vs Femi Balogun - Chess Cup Match 2017 by KinSlayer: 6:30pm On Sep 03, 2017
whoz on chess.com ??
Re: Magnus Carlsen Vs Femi Balogun - Chess Cup Match 2017 by yorex2011: 6:32pm On Sep 03, 2017
KinSlayer:
whoz on chess.com ??

I am

1 Like

Re: Magnus Carlsen Vs Femi Balogun - Chess Cup Match 2017 by einsteine(m): 6:33pm On Sep 03, 2017
Lol. Femi Is 500 elo lower than Carlsen. He can never be world champion, maybe West African champion.

mercy87:
Femi tried but Magnus is a genuis. He may not rule for long. Another gem is somewhere deeply studying his moves and one day he will succumb to a Champion who probably may be Femi.
Re: Magnus Carlsen Vs Femi Balogun - Chess Cup Match 2017 by KinSlayer: 6:37pm On Sep 03, 2017
yorex2011:

I am
genghis01 lets play
Re: Magnus Carlsen Vs Femi Balogun - Chess Cup Match 2017 by yorex2011: 6:43pm On Sep 03, 2017
KinSlayer:
genghis01 lets play
says you're not available for live games
Re: Magnus Carlsen Vs Femi Balogun - Chess Cup Match 2017 by alex81(m): 6:46pm On Sep 03, 2017
SmartyPants:

I have looked into it...it requires premium membership.

I'll see if i can get that and then ill open up a thread and tag you and others in it. Conversely, if you or others can sign up for premium membership, that person could just take the lead on this

u can share ur idea here. am sure there are lota premium members in this thread.

https://www.nairaland.com/178041/nairaland-official-chess-thread
Re: Magnus Carlsen Vs Femi Balogun - Chess Cup Match 2017 by jc4real(m): 6:51pm On Sep 03, 2017
@ yorex2011 ur such a good commentator!!

I know next to nothing about the game of chess,but ur commentaries make every really interesting like I'm watching it live.

Cheers!!!

6 Likes

Re: Magnus Carlsen Vs Femi Balogun - Chess Cup Match 2017 by SmartyPants(m): 6:52pm On Sep 03, 2017
alex81:

u can share ur idea here. am sure there are lota premium members in this thread.

https://www.nairaland.com/178041/nairaland-official-chess-thread

thanks mate
Re: Magnus Carlsen Vs Femi Balogun - Chess Cup Match 2017 by alex81(m): 6:56pm On Sep 03, 2017
einsteine:

Lol. Femi Is 500 elo lower than Carlsen. He can never be world champion, maybe West African champion.

never say never. change is the only constant thing in life.

1 Like

Re: Magnus Carlsen Vs Femi Balogun - Chess Cup Match 2017 by KinSlayer: 7:00pm On Sep 03, 2017
yorex2011:

says you're not available for live games

my bad
i am now
, throughout tonight
whats your username
Re: Magnus Carlsen Vs Femi Balogun - Chess Cup Match 2017 by yorex2011: 7:03pm On Sep 03, 2017
KinSlayer:

my bad
i am now
, throughout tonight
whats your username

will add shortly...
Re: Magnus Carlsen Vs Femi Balogun - Chess Cup Match 2017 by yorex2011: 7:21pm On Sep 03, 2017
KinSlayer:

my bad
i am now
, throughout tonight
whats your username

you there
Re: Magnus Carlsen Vs Femi Balogun - Chess Cup Match 2017 by Nobody: 7:23pm On Sep 03, 2017
✳️
Re: Magnus Carlsen Vs Femi Balogun - Chess Cup Match 2017 by KinSlayer: 7:24pm On Sep 03, 2017
yorex2011:

you there
yup
ur ranking tho
Re: Magnus Carlsen Vs Femi Balogun - Chess Cup Match 2017 by Omonoba1: 7:51pm On Sep 03, 2017
einsteine:

He can be World Champion someday bro..Never say Never..
Re: Magnus Carlsen Vs Femi Balogun - Chess Cup Match 2017 by yorex2011: 8:06pm On Sep 03, 2017
Heres a photo from the official site of CarlsenBalogun Game 1

2 Likes

Re: Magnus Carlsen Vs Femi Balogun - Chess Cup Match 2017 by Megadon109(m): 8:22pm On Sep 03, 2017
Don't know much about the ranking, but going by the list of contestants in that tournament, Balogun is the least ranked, (FM) others are GM, with few IMs and he was drawn against the best of the GMs, wish him luck next time

1 Like

Re: Magnus Carlsen Vs Femi Balogun - Chess Cup Match 2017 by Justycxx(m): 8:51pm On Sep 03, 2017
following..

But when will I get to become atleast an IM. Despite all my hard work, reading every chess book that I can lay my hands on, playing chess against computers every now and then and still I don't think my rating is up to 1700 on the ELO scale

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Adegoke Adelabu: Super Eagles lack tactics, toying with our emotions / AFCON 2021 Draw Today At 7pm / Orla Melissa Sloan Admits Stalking Mason Mount After He Broke Up With Her

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.