Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,161 members, 7,860,155 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 06:57 AM

Why Are There More Atheist Men Than Women - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are There More Atheist Men Than Women (2082 Views)

See, Atheist Girls Do Not Even Want Atheist Men! / More Men Than Women Will Make The Rapture? / Why Is It Easier For Men To Be Humble Before Their Fellow Men Than Before God? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are There More Atheist Men Than Women by Uyi168: 5:44pm On Sep 04, 2017
Ranchhoddas:
If you can understand why women fall under the anointing more than men, you'll get your answer.
.I love this guy..
Re: Why Are There More Atheist Men Than Women by ModusOperandi(f): 5:45pm On Sep 04, 2017
this is purely observational and might be a slight overstatement.

i think there are just as many female atheists as there are male atheists, they just have less online presence. not many of them are willing to identify as atheist so they tend to be less vocal/opinionated, and hardly participate in online forums. however, they might be SLIGHTLY less, reasons being;

women are usually under more pressure to conform to traditional/societal stereotypes and certain gender roles. religion is very much interwoven with social and traditional values, going against that by declaring your non-belief might mean becoming "outcasts" especially in very conservative areas/families

women, since time immemorial, have been taught/conditioned from birth to always play the role of the submissive wife or daughter, shrink themselves and to submit to male authority. so there's usually a reluctance to turn their backs against God THE FATHER. but with the recent feminist movements, that's gradually changing and more women are rejecting these roles.

also, studies have shown a positive correlation between level of education and atheism. this point is self explanatory. (I hope)

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are There More Atheist Men Than Women by Nobody: 5:45pm On Sep 04, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

okay, I can work with that

what makes women less vocal about being irreligious than men?

maybe because they are judged more harshly

imagine a woman telling her in-laws she is an atheist, everything bad that happens in the family must be as a result of her satanic ways.

it's not hard for people to brand such person a witch or a marine spirit.

for example imagine having analice as a sister or mother in law

grin

1 Like

Re: Why Are There More Atheist Men Than Women by Nobody: 5:46pm On Sep 04, 2017
Samsimple:
madam nonentity wich one b ur own
sharap!
Re: Why Are There More Atheist Men Than Women by Nobody: 5:59pm On Sep 04, 2017
Proudgorgeousga:

so your faith is different from your reality?

I have seen a lot. Most popular ones are bimbo odukoya, mummy B, Helen ukpabio,

LoL.

No! But I was speaking of the academic aspect.

Are you not even happy wif my statement? undecided na wa o.

Ok. Men are more logical, innovative, creative, sensible, intelligent, smart et al than the ladies.

So take that back instead.
Re: Why Are There More Atheist Men Than Women by hopefulLandlord: 6:06pm On Sep 04, 2017
ModusOperandi:

i think there are just as many female atheists as there are male atheists, they just have less online presence. not many of them are willing to identify as atheist so they tend to be less vocal/opinionated, and hardly participate in online forums. however, they might be SLIGHTLY less, reasons being;

women are usually under more pressure to conform to traditional/societal stereotypes and certain gender roles. religion is very much interwoven with social and traditional values, going against that by declaring your non-belief might mean becoming "outcasts" especially in very conservative areas/families

women, since time immemorial, have been taught/conditioned from birth to always play the role of the submissive wife or daughter, shrink themselves and to submit to male authority. so there's usually a reluctance to turn their backs against God THE FATHER. but with the recent feminist movements, that's gradually changing and more women are rejecting these roles.

also, studies have shown a positive correlation between level of education and atheism. this point is self explanatory. (I hope)

very interesting
Re: Why Are There More Atheist Men Than Women by Ranchhoddas: 6:34pm On Sep 04, 2017
Proudgorgeousga:

idiooooooota
Re: Why Are There More Atheist Men Than Women by Ranchhoddas: 6:35pm On Sep 04, 2017
Proudgorgeousga:

idiooooooota
My dear lady,
While you might not with the agree with his presentation, you cannot fault the message.
Women are generally more unsuspecting, more gullible, more emotional and more naive
In every "Yin/Yang" distribution, the group of people who have these qualities are the ones more likely to be religious.
Blacks, the poor, the less educated, the less exposed etc.
There will always be exceptions, but the logic is correct.
Women are more likely than men to take the path of least resistance, which is what religion offers.
Re: Why Are There More Atheist Men Than Women by Ranchhoddas: 6:55pm On Sep 04, 2017
ModusOperandi:

Mind totally blown.
But I want to disagree a bit.
Willingness to be identified as an atheist is in my opinion an advancement in the atheism gradation.
A person who is willing to identify publicly is one who has been unshackled totally from the manacles of religion (something we all know is quite difficult to achieve).
Since they are more males in this category, it still follows that females are more enamoured by religion and all it offers.
There are closet females, but I bet you that there are far more closet male atheists.
The rest of your points are solid.
A breath of fresh air.
Re: Why Are There More Atheist Men Than Women by CoolUsername: 7:16pm On Sep 04, 2017
I've read that societal and to a lesser extent, biological factors predispose women towards agreeableness. This would go a long way towards making women take the path of least resistance on average.

1 Like

Re: Why Are There More Atheist Men Than Women by CoolUsername: 7:45pm On Sep 04, 2017
Ranchhoddas:
My dear lady,
While you might not with the agree with his presentation, you cannot fault the message.
Women are generally more unsuspecting, more gullible, more emotional and more naive
In every "Yin/Yang" distribution, the group of people who have these qualities are the ones more likely to be religious.
Blacks, the poor, the less educated, the less exposed etc.
Women are more likely than men to take the path of least resistance, which is what religion offers.

I agree with women being more emotional but I'm not sure about them being more naïve or gullible. You're mistaking that with pragmatism.

Due to their physical disadvantages, women on average are just more likely to avoid head-on conflict. That's why they use other means such as gossiping and back-biting rather than direct confrontation or physical combat to get the upper-hand.

I don't want to go too deep into evolutionary psychology and I'm not claiming all women or men behave in a particular way, I'm only speaking generally, here. I just want you to know that the misconception that women are simple-minded is what leads a guy into raising kids who aren't his.
Re: Why Are There More Atheist Men Than Women by Ranchhoddas: 8:02pm On Sep 04, 2017
CoolUsername:

I agree with women being more emotional but I'm not sure about them being more naïve or gullible. You're mistaking that with pragmatism.

Due to their physical disadvantages, women on average are just more likely to avoid head-on conflict. That's why they use other means such as gossiping and back-biting rather than direct confrontation or physical combat to get the upper-hand.

I don't want to go too deep into evolutionary psychology and I'm not claiming all women or men behave in a particular way, I'm only speaking generally, here. I just want you to know that the misconception that women are simple-minded is what leads a guy into raising kids who aren't his.
It is a special kind of naivete. The kind that is the opposite of pragmatism.
It is not derogatory or insultive.
It is the kind that makes them more predisposed than men to the machinations of the clergy.
I will never suggest that women are simple-minded.
Re: Why Are There More Atheist Men Than Women by 1Sharon(f): 8:18pm On Sep 04, 2017
Nutase:
Because fewer women are bums

I'm a woman but I disagree
Re: Why Are There More Atheist Men Than Women by 1Sharon(f): 8:20pm On Sep 04, 2017
obinna58:
Women tends to have weakness more than men
Both physically and mentally(infirmity), that's why they can easy be deceived grin

I'm female and agree. More emotìonal therefore more gullible

1 Like

Re: Why Are There More Atheist Men Than Women by CoolUsername: 8:21pm On Sep 04, 2017
Ranchhoddas:
It is a special kind of naivete. The kind that is the opposite of pragmatism.

At the risk of sounding like a conspiracy theorist or misogynist, that's what they want you to think. Men are naturally polygamous, women are naturally hypergamous. On average, women have an easier time breaking long-term relationships when a higher status man shows interest in them. That's why over 70% of divorces are initiated by the wife in western societies. That's why it is rare to see a household where the woman earns more than the man.

We believe that women are weaker emotionally but a man is three times as likely to commit suicide than a woman, men also have higher rates of PTSD after traumatic events. The risk-averse nature of women is very useful for self-preservation especially when you aren't physically dominant.
Re: Why Are There More Atheist Men Than Women by 1Sharon(f): 8:23pm On Sep 04, 2017
Proudgorgeousga:

maybe because they are judged more harshly

imagine a woman telling her in-laws she is an atheist, everything bad that happens in the family must be as a result of her satanic ways.

it's not hard for people to brand such person a witch or a marine spirit.

for example imagine having analice as a sister or mother in law

grin

grin Bwahhaaaha
Re: Why Are There More Atheist Men Than Women by Daeylar(f): 8:24pm On Sep 04, 2017
Ranchhoddas:

Can you prove this?

What logic is that?

1 Like

Re: Why Are There More Atheist Men Than Women by Daeylar(f): 8:27pm On Sep 04, 2017
CoolUsername:

Any thing that can prove the bolded?

I don't want to go too deep into evolutionary psychology and I'm not claiming all women or men behave in a particular way, I'm only speaking generally, here.

I just want you to know that the misconception that women are simple-minded is what leads a guy into raising kids who aren't his.
cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why Are There More Atheist Men Than Women by Daeylar(f): 8:29pm On Sep 04, 2017
CoolUsername:
I've read that societal and to a lesser extent, biological factors predispose women towards agreeableness. This would go a long way towards making women take the path of least resistance on average.

I've only seen societal factors, please any link to wherr you read about biological factors?

1 Like

Re: Why Are There More Atheist Men Than Women by Ranchhoddas: 8:42pm On Sep 04, 2017
Daeylar:

Can you prove this?

What logic is that?
It's observational but observation is also a part of the scientific method.
The logic that I quoted of my preceding post.
Re: Why Are There More Atheist Men Than Women by CoolUsername: 8:47pm On Sep 04, 2017
Re: Why Are There More Atheist Men Than Women by Daeylar(f): 8:48pm On Sep 04, 2017
CoolUsername:

Study of over 10,000 people:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/games-primates-play/201201/gender-differences-in-personality-are-larger-previously-thought?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C7227940946

Thanks, I've been looking for something like this,
Will study it now

1 Like

Re: Why Are There More Atheist Men Than Women by Ranchhoddas: 8:50pm On Sep 04, 2017
CoolUsername:

At the risk of sounding like a conspiracy theorist or misogynist, that's what they want you to think. Men are naturally polygamous, women are naturally hypergamous. On average, women have an easier time breaking long-term relationships when a higher status man shows interest in them. That's why over 70% of divorces are initiated by the wife in western societies. That's why it is rare to see a household where the woman earns more than the man.

We believe that women are weaker emotionally but a man is three times as likely to commit suicide than a woman, men also have higher rates of PTSD after traumatic events. The risk-averse nature of women is very useful for self-preservation especially when you aren't physically dominant.
The aversion to risk is what draws them to religion--an insurance policy against an unseen adversary, in this life and after.

You are not sounding like a misogynistic at all. You are sounding like a crazy fe****st.
Re: Why Are There More Atheist Men Than Women by CoolUsername: 8:53pm On Sep 04, 2017
Daeylar:

I've only seen societal factors, please any link to wherr you read about biological factors?

A study on the a average brain differences between the sexes shows us that women are less disposed towards aggression and are more emotive than men in general.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/hope-relationships/201402/brain-differences-between-genders?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C6052972620
Re: Why Are There More Atheist Men Than Women by CoolUsername: 9:21pm On Sep 04, 2017
Ranchhoddas:
The aversion to risk is what draws them to religion--an insurance policy against an unseen adversary, in this life and after.

The problem with that theory is that it fails to account for social dynamics. Throughout history, women have never been in the position develop communal laws. So, religion must have been formulated by societal leaders who were almost always men.

The hypothesis I'm running with deals with communal clashes. This hypothesis postulates that during such events, the primary casualties were men while women were inherited by the victorious clan.

It would have been evolutionarily beneficial for women to develop emotional safeguards against change that they had little control over. Hence, the lower rates of PTSD and the higher rates of Stockholm syndrome in women.

This manifests itself today in the ability for women to get over relationships easier than men. Hence, why they initiate more divorces, and why they commit suicide less.

It is advantageous for one's health and safety to avoid conflict and stay in line with whatever social climate you find yourself. This is why women are more likely to remain religious.

Ranchhoddas:

You are not sounding like a misogynistic at all. You are sounding like a crazy fe****st.

Really? Because I did not endorse the behaviours I just described in any way. I just stated the facts. And while I believe everyone should be treated equally by law, I would never say that the genders do not have general differences that stem from biology.
Re: Why Are There More Atheist Men Than Women by Ranchhoddas: 9:50pm On Sep 04, 2017
CoolUsername:

The problem with that theory is that it fails to account for social dynamics. Throughout history, women have never been in the position develop communal laws. So, religion must have been formulated by societal leaders who were almost always men.

The hypothesis I'm running with deals with communal clashes. This hypothesis postulates that during such events, the primary casualties were men while women were inherited by the victorious clan.

It would have been evolutionarily beneficial for women to develop emotional safeguards against change that they had little control over. Hence, the lower rates of PTSD and the higher rates of Stockholm syndrome in women.

This manifests itself today in the ability for women to get over relationships easier than men. Hence, why they initiate more divorces, and why they commit suicide less.

It is advantageous for one's health and safety to avoid conflict and stay in line with whatever social climate you find yourself. This is why women are more likely to remain religious.

Really? Because I did not endorse the behaviours I just described in any way. I just stated the facts. And while I believe everyone should be treated equally by law, I would never say that the genders do not have general differences that stem from biology.
I take your points.
What you are hypothesising is that women being more religious is an evolutionarily honed defence mechanism right?
How is it at odds with what I'm saying?
Re: Why Are There More Atheist Men Than Women by CoolUsername: 10:03pm On Sep 04, 2017
Ranchhoddas:
I take your points.
What you are hypothesising is that women being more religious is an evolutionarily honed defence mechanism right?
How is it at odds with what I'm saying?

Exactly, we aren't at odds in that matter. We are only at odds when talking about the reason, you see women from an idealist point of view where their nature is weak but pure while I see them from a cynical point of view where their nature is self-serving and opportunistic and is the true way viewing both sexes.
Re: Why Are There More Atheist Men Than Women by Ranchhoddas: 10:22pm On Sep 04, 2017
CoolUsername:

Exactly, we aren't at odds in that matter. We are only at odds when talking about the reason, you see women from an idealist point of view where their nature is weak but pure while I see them from a cynical point of view where their nature is self-serving and opportunistic and is the true way viewing both sexes.
I doubt many women will agree with you on this.
I try to put my trust in my observations above all else. I don't believe that women are generally opportunists.
Manipulative? Perhaps
Self-serving? Absolutely not.
Re: Why Are There More Atheist Men Than Women by CoolUsername: 11:16pm On Sep 04, 2017
Ranchhoddas:
I doubt many women will agree with you on this.
I try to put my trust in my observations above all else. I don't believe that women are generally opportunists.
Manipulative? Perhaps
Self-serving? Absolutely not.

This isn't about whether they agree or not, these are just facts. For example, as an atheist, I don't like the fact that atheists are more likely to suffer depression than religious people but I accept the evidence that it is true.

Furthermore, I'm not saying that only women are self-serving and opportunistic, I'm saying that we all are. That is the fact of our nature. It is the reason we haven't gone extinct.

8,000 years ago, for each man that reproduced, about 17 women did. Today, this number has reduced to 4 or 5 women for each man.

http://www.psmag.com/nature-and-technology/17-to-1-reproductive-success

This clearly shows that women instinctively go for the dominant men while the vast majority of men have to use their hands.

How did these dominant males become dominant? Through violence and conquest.

All I'm trying to show is that there is no weaker or 'fairer' sex.
Re: Why Are There More Atheist Men Than Women by obinna58(m): 12:05am On Sep 05, 2017
Proudgorgeousga:

you said women

fooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooL
Seems like you find insult pleasing
Re: Why Are There More Atheist Men Than Women by obinna58(m): 1:00am On Sep 05, 2017
vaxx:
I think there should be clear scientific evidence on the topic. it is an issue that most be resolved to address gender inequality.

since there is no credible scientific evidence known to me for now. I shall base my findings on observation and assumption.

in physical strength. men appear more stronger than women in the area of size and muscle but in general physical qualities like agility and balance ,immune system and emotions women outperform men.

I also observe women live longer and the reason I accredit to this is that women are bilogically better survivors from the day they’re born.

Statistically, baby girls are more robust than boys, which makes mortality rates among babies a little skewed in favour of girls.

And for reasons that scientists don’t fully understand, throughout their lives women tend to survive the same diseases that kill men.
I think we both being on the same side just that you a being fair with words wink

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Pastor In A Serious Boxing Combat With A Demon Posses Man - Full Video / Do You Believe The Story Of Ham's Curse? / God Did Not Create Leprosy!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.