Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,247 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:12 AM

Anambra Election: Ekwueme Warns Politicians Against Promoting Violence - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Anambra Election: Ekwueme Warns Politicians Against Promoting Violence (6673 Views)

Stay Away From My Adoration, Fr Mbaka Warns Politicians / 2019: Prophet Ituen Reveals What Will Happen If Buhari Wins, Warns Politicians / Nnamdi Kanu Greets Alex Ekwueme At His Residence In Enugu (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anambra Election: Ekwueme Warns Politicians Against Promoting Violence by OrientDailyNews: 12:48pm On Sep 04, 2017
By Francis Ekpone
Nigeria’s former vice president and one of the founding fathers of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), Dr. Alex Ekwueme, has warned politicians, political parties and their candidates participating in the forthcoming Anambra governorship election to desist from acts capable of promoting violence during the electioneering period.

Pa Ekwueme gave the warning over the weekend in a brief chat with Orient Daily in his country home, Oko, Orumba North local government area of Anambra state. He was playing host to a non-governmental organisation, Centre for Strategic Leadership and Youth Orientation (CENSTLEYO) and also urged candidates in the race for the state governorship to focus on selling their candidacy to the electorate through issue-based campaign and clear manifestoes rather than engaging in personality attacks and needless mudslinging.

“Our politicians should eschew violence, talk to the issues and not talk to persons. It is wrong for politicians to verbally attack their opponents, accusing them of all sorts of things that the person will start defending himself or herself instead of unveiling their manifestoes and how they intend to achieve that.”
The former number two citizen in the Second Republic, stressed that it was immature and baseless for politicians to accuse their colleagues unjustly for the purpose of scoring cheap popularity, saying that the state benefits nothing by instigating crisis and promoting violence.

“We should know that politics is not a do-or-die affair; do-or-die means getting results at all cost and that is not what politics is all about. What is important is to have a game played in a fair manner so that the best person who has the people’s support will win without being put into physical, mental or any other pressure, including spiritual.”

The octogenarian further suggested that an independent body should organise a well-structured debate for all the candidates to share their views and manifesto with the Anambra electorate for better assessment of their pedigree and programmes. He expressed regret that some candidates don’t actually have the interest of the state at heart but join the race for their own selfish agenda to acquire wealth and political power.

“In some countries, all the candidates should be subjected to debate where they will tell the electorate what they will do for the people. Their response will give the electorate the opportunity of electing who is more focused and with people-oriented programmes. Some of them have no agenda but only vying to amass public funds and wealth. So, we need to have issue-based campaigns where people articulate what they want to do for the state and how they want to do it,” he argued.

Ekwueme, however, commended the CENSTLEYO for their lofty programmes, especially on the health sector and quest for good governance. He pledged to give them moral support in their stakeholders’ leadership forum coming up in October.

“The programmes you are enunciating in health, good governance, are all laudable programmes which we need to support and we will give our moral support to encourage people like you” he promised.

Earlier, the leader of the team and founder of the group, Mr. Felix Imah explained that the essence of the stakeholders’ leadership forum was for “the stakeholders, irrespective of the party leaning, to come together to review the Anambra state of yesterday and today and then draw up the design of Anambra state that will be of interest of all.”

He noted that the programme, which will have the former chairman, Independent National Electoral commission (INEC), Prof Maurice Iwu, as keynote speaker, will feature community leaders, faith-based organisations, market men and women, religious leaders and the Nigeria Labour Congress, among other stakeholders.

Source: https://orientdailynews.com/anambra-poll-ekwueme-warns-politicians-against-promoting-violence/

Re: Anambra Election: Ekwueme Warns Politicians Against Promoting Violence by Mcanie: 2:05pm On Sep 04, 2017
Na so
Re: Anambra Election: Ekwueme Warns Politicians Against Promoting Violence by BuhariNaWah: 2:06pm On Sep 04, 2017
CHAI!

BUHARI NA WAH

Mcanie:
FTC . I wish Nigerians will here

Are you OK bro?
And let me assume the bolder is as a result of auto-correct
Re: Anambra Election: Ekwueme Warns Politicians Against Promoting Violence by Mcanie: 2:06pm On Sep 04, 2017
FTC . I wish Nigerians will here
Re: Anambra Election: Ekwueme Warns Politicians Against Promoting Violence by Odianose13(m): 2:09pm On Sep 04, 2017
I only pray Dr. Ekueme's wish comes to pass.
Re: Anambra Election: Ekwueme Warns Politicians Against Promoting Violence by digoster(m): 2:10pm On Sep 04, 2017
He has spoken well, it is now left for APC demons to adhere
Re: Anambra Election: Ekwueme Warns Politicians Against Promoting Violence by Atiku2019: 2:10pm On Sep 04, 2017
That means election will surely hold in November ;

God Bless Alex

1 Like

Re: Anambra Election: Ekwueme Warns Politicians Against Promoting Violence by positivelord: 2:15pm On Sep 04, 2017
I will vote on the 18th of November and then quickly go home to enjoy my ofe nsala.....If I dont come out to vote, Obiano will definitely thump print on my space and then announce result ....after announcing the result ,you are free to declare one-day-sit-at-home or close your shops,block road and burn a few motor Tyre, even shout on roof-top for Trump to hear you out....thats ok, its your human right to shout...its not going to change anything.

2 Likes

Re: Anambra Election: Ekwueme Warns Politicians Against Promoting Violence by 9jabull: 2:16pm On Sep 04, 2017
Were boycotting all elections in Biafra land, Anambra remains our litmus test.
Power belong to the masses & not few politicians.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anambra Election: Ekwueme Warns Politicians Against Promoting Violence by 9jabull: 2:17pm On Sep 04, 2017
18th Nov. remains #Ofe Nsala day.

1 Like

Re: Anambra Election: Ekwueme Warns Politicians Against Promoting Violence by DIKEnaWAR: 2:18pm On Sep 04, 2017
Nigeria's most respected politician. After him; GEJ and Shehu Shagari and Yar'adua.

The rest are like Buhari; win it or toss it. They won't accept NO or defeat.
Re: Anambra Election: Ekwueme Warns Politicians Against Promoting Violence by greatface(m): 2:19pm On Sep 04, 2017
Unbiased thought.
Re: Anambra Election: Ekwueme Warns Politicians Against Promoting Violence by Jamiubond009(m): 2:22pm On Sep 04, 2017
K
Re: Anambra Election: Ekwueme Warns Politicians Against Promoting Violence by muykem: 2:23pm On Sep 04, 2017
The president of Republic of Biafra has cancelled that election. I will surprise to see up to 10000 turn out that day.

2 Likes

Re: Anambra Election: Ekwueme Warns Politicians Against Promoting Violence by Dollabiz: 2:23pm On Sep 04, 2017
Ok
Re: Anambra Election: Ekwueme Warns Politicians Against Promoting Violence by AdonaiRoofing(m): 2:24pm On Sep 04, 2017
So many money bags,throwing their money about seeking for recognition

Contact us for all your roiofi g jobs and roof maintenance etc
Re: Anambra Election: Ekwueme Warns Politicians Against Promoting Violence by omenkaLives(m): 2:30pm On Sep 04, 2017
This man lost my respect a long time ago. When an elder like him should advice and caution that Mavrodi, he was busy taking pictures with him.

1 Like

Re: Anambra Election: Ekwueme Warns Politicians Against Promoting Violence by AnaCheks(m): 2:30pm On Sep 04, 2017
9jabull:

18th Nov. remains #Ofe Nsala day.
No carry yourself come outside that day,cos u will not go back home...just siddon for your house they boycott

1 Like

Re: Anambra Election: Ekwueme Warns Politicians Against Promoting Violence by callidon: 2:38pm On Sep 04, 2017
i think formal vp is in right direction.let all the politicians in Anambara state be warn against inciting violence and untold hardship on their people in name of election.
Re: Anambra Election: Ekwueme Warns Politicians Against Promoting Violence by callidon: 2:40pm On Sep 04, 2017
i think formal vp is in right direction.let all the politicians in Anambara state be warn against inciting violence and untold hardship on their people in name of election.calliidon.
Re: Anambra Election: Ekwueme Warns Politicians Against Promoting Violence by TheShopKeeper(m): 2:53pm On Sep 04, 2017
The Igbo Elder has spoken...
Re: Anambra Election: Ekwueme Warns Politicians Against Promoting Violence by Yyeske(m): 3:10pm On Sep 04, 2017
Our great sage has spoken very well and that's we love him but sir, please warn those blockheads IPOB miscreants to stay their lane that day
Re: Anambra Election: Ekwueme Warns Politicians Against Promoting Violence by Tkester: 3:34pm On Sep 04, 2017
muykem:
The president of Republic of Biafra has cancelled that election. I will surprise to see up to 10000 turn out that day.

Honestly when I hear people say they want to vote or that people will vote or maybe when I see politicians campaigning for votes online, I begin to wonder which Anambra are they referring to. Is it the same Anambra Onitsha I visited last month where everyone I talked to told me pointedly that they ain't voting. In fact, the mood of the people there is one of courage and hope. Many people are too hopeful of Nnamdi Kanu's Biafra that even if you tell them to jump into the river that Biafra will come, they will gladly do it. Well, I too will be surprise if up to 10k people vote that day.
Re: Anambra Election: Ekwueme Warns Politicians Against Promoting Violence by EagleScribes: 3:37pm On Sep 04, 2017
He that has an ear, let him hear
Re: Anambra Election: Ekwueme Warns Politicians Against Promoting Violence by burkingx(f): 4:14pm On Sep 04, 2017
grin
Re: Anambra Election: Ekwueme Warns Politicians Against Promoting Violence by burkingx(f): 4:14pm On Sep 04, 2017
cool
Re: Anambra Election: Ekwueme Warns Politicians Against Promoting Violence by burkingx(f): 4:18pm On Sep 04, 2017
muykem:

1 Like

Re: Anambra Election: Ekwueme Warns Politicians Against Promoting Violence by babyfaceafrica: 4:53pm On Sep 04, 2017
muykem:
the result will be based on the 10,000 that turn out
Re: Anambra Election: Ekwueme Warns Politicians Against Promoting Violence by biafran1stson(m): 6:45pm On Sep 04, 2017
No more election in Biafraland until FG do the needful.

All hail Biafra

1 Like

Re: Anambra Election: Ekwueme Warns Politicians Against Promoting Violence by NSK4U(m): 8:44pm On Sep 04, 2017
booked......

Do your Registration and Training for all INTERNATIONAL EXAMS including TOEFL, IELTS, GMAT, SAT1, GRE, PTE, SAT2. @

GLOBAL VISION INTERNATIONAL
EDUCATION & TRAVELS.

We accept ZERO DEPOSIT { ie Get your VISA to America, Canada, France, UK, etc from us before you pay} from our clients that wish to go on vacation, work, or visit any of the aforementioned countries and more. for further info, call/whatsap us via 08145705687.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Enugu Guber Candidates Endorse Gov. Ugwuanyi’s Re-election / See The Biggest Bridge Constructed By Ex-president Jonathan / Nnamdi Kanu: Yorubas Confess. 60% Real Estate In Lagos Owned By Igbos. Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.