Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,220 members, 7,818,761 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:47 AM

O.A.U Vice President Emerald Speaks On O.A.U Union Brouhaha - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / O.A.U Vice President Emerald Speaks On O.A.U Union Brouhaha (1558 Views)

Outcry As University Of Uyo SUG Vice President Appoints 20 Special Advisers / How Can Be Wrong Name On O Level Result Be Corrected? / See What A U.S. University Says About Nigerians Studying There (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

O.A.U Vice President Emerald Speaks On O.A.U Union Brouhaha by Nobody: 12:52pm On Sep 08, 2017
EMERALD SPEAKS.

There was a Gang-up, I was detained against my will, taunted, over powered and severely beaten by Lamba (the Director of Socials) in the presence of the president of the students union and other union executives.

DONT NUMBER ME WITH THE THIEVES! I AM FIGHTING CORRUPTION AT MY LEVEL

First, I want to put it on record that the several physical assaults and political victimization that I have suffered against my person since the beginning of this administration and master minded by DR IBK (Students Union President) and his cohorts since we emerged as union officers has been for no other reason than the simple fact that we have different interests. My interest has and will always be that of Great Ife Students, however the other camp is neck-deep in self-serving interests.

THE TRAGIC EVENT OF TUESDAY NIGHT

A central executive meeting had been called and it was scheduled for 5pm. I arrived at some minutes past 5pm and was told that the meeting had been rescheduled for 6:30pm. I had written my last paper that day and didnt sleep well over the night as I was doing some final revision for the 8am paper. After finishing by 11am , I was of course a little tired and had to also attend to other activities I had outlined for the day; so hearing that that the meeting had been rescheduled made me complain that we needed to respect timing. I waited and the meeting started a few minutes to 7pm.

The major issue for discussion was how to spend the ₦3.8 million that was paid into the union account. All the deliberations pointed in the manner and character of the bus scandal, as there were all kinds of phantom projects being proposed and I was convinced that these projects were just white elephant projects for the diversion of funds. I disagreed with most of the deliberations on two grounds;
The nature of such capital projects required budgetary allocation and parliamentary vetting. Talking about money in this manner simply projected a picture of another shady and dodgy attempt to pilfer funds for personal aggrandizement.
If at all money was to be spent, I felt that a project like that of the freshmen getting their orientation package was a more realistic, expedient and resourceful use of funds, particularly since these freshmen had paid dues. A lot of noise has been made that I was seeking N1.4 million for the project and they have tried to mislead the public with the N1.4 million figure, but we are talking of printing the union constitution and preparing a magazine for well over 3,000 freshmen. If you break it down, it amounts to N406 per fresher for a constitution, magazine and a file jacket and it still doesnt cover the cost.

We are saying that the values, intelligence, vibrancy and ideological content of our union is waning, how else do we resuscitate these values if students dont even have a constitution? Or have a written medium through which they could further be educated containing robust essays, debates, the historical strides and heritage of the union, documented in the form of a magazine. Our unions documentation is poor and it has been the tradition of my predecessors in office to give such an orientation package as a way of closing the gap; only that this time I wanted a more even spread of these materials so that more freshmen could have these tools. These things are not my personal projects, it is the unions project and responsibility. It only falls under my constitutional responsibility as vice-president.

I disagreed with the deliberations on principle and this time I was going to be firm and show my plain displeasure. I also wanted it to be clear that my disagreement would go public because I didnt want my image soiled with the pack. It was clearly another bus scandal in the offing and I didnt want to be a part of it! At this point of disagreement, the arguments got so intense and seeing that I was alone, I told other members of the Executive Council that I wasnt going be a part of such a meeting anymore and so I got up to take my leave. Enraged by my audacity and the implications it portended, the Director of Socials (DOS) made for the door and blocked me from leaving. The insinuation that his move was friendly is not only false but an unfortunate story for the image of the union. I and the Director of Socials have not been in good terms for some time now because of my principled stands and he had even threatened very recently to beat me up any day we meet off campus as my own was becoming too much. His blockade was aggressive, provocative and very hostile. The president also instructed that all exits be locked and that I had to be a part of the meeting at all cost. I began to raise my voice that I was being held against my will. I insisted I was leaving and at that point feeling threatened and unsafe I got into a struggle with the DOS at the door. In other to make me comply, he pushed be aggressively several times and at some point hit me severally and pulled me back. While I was being rough handled, I became conscious that I was the only female in the room. These other union officers were all males and had an agreeing point and I was the only one opposing their plans in that meeting. They taunted me as the DOS was hitting me. I began to scream in alarm, people around the students union building premises heard my voice and made attempts to force their way in, but they were prevented by the president who told them that everything was okay and that a meeting was in session. At this point I became desperate and no longer felt safe at all. I began to look for anything around me to defend myself with. Everyone in the room made jest of me and the president said and I quote Leave them alone, it is two fighting. I say it boldly, it wasnt two fighting, I was being humiliated consciously. They saw my effort to get a weapon to defend myself with and asked what I could do even with it.

I eventually got hold of a bottle because that was the only thing I could lay hold on in self-defence. People were banging at the door outside so as to come to my aid until the speaker of the parliament found a way to force his way into the room to salvage the situation. In the meantime, I had been butted in the head, the bottle had been collected from me in a rowdy manner that gave the DOS the opportunity to keep hitting me. My left arm almost got fractured, my legs were hit severally. I was hit on the face, on the chest seriously and battered all over. My nose was bleeding when I was being carried out of the scene and I couldnt support myself anymore and was rushed to the Health Centre. I was admitted immediately and given first aid and other attendant treatment. By the morning I was referred to Seventh Day Adventist Hospital (SDA) Ile-Ife because of the on-going NARD strike. I was admitted at the casualty ward of SDA. I was in severe pains from the brutality and my entire body was sore from intense aches as the doctors and nurses will bear witness. I was given several pain relievers to relieve the trauma but even at that, I was and I am still in pains even as I speak. I am still at the hospital at the time of making this release.

THE LIES THEY HAVE TOLD

That I stabbed the Director of Socials
This is a lie! I eventually couldnt use the bottle because I was overpowered while the DOS roundly dealt with me. The president in company of the DOS and other excos came to the health centre one hour after I had been admitted at the health centre and everyone present will testify to the fact that he had no injury on him whatsoever. He was bouncing around while they all teased at me. The injury on his arm is self-inflicted for propaganda sake.

That the DOS was hospitalized.

Another lie! On Wednesday someone reported the incident to the police and a policeman accompanied the complainant to effect an arrest on the DOS. He resisted arrest and argued that he was a union officer and that the issue was strictly a union affair being handled by the university security unit. The police contacted the university security unit which then said that the police should go ahead to exercise its jurisdiction. By the time the police got back to his place, he had absconded. If he was hospitalized, how was he able to do all these? Why was he at home? We all know that no one can be in two places at the same time. You cant be hospitalized on Wednesday as the media reports indicated and also be at home on the same Wednesday. It is a make believe to mislead,

That I started the fight and was aggressive.

Another lie! The fact speaks for itself. I am not a lunatic. I couldnt have just picked a bottle to injure somebody after he had made what they call a friendly gesture to persuade me to stay in the meeting. It just doesnt make sense. I was trying to get out of the room when the DOS rough handled me and insisted I will go nowhere. He pushed me, hit me and provoked me. I left the SUB with just my bra and my skirt as my cloth was torn. I was humiliated and it was all deliberate.

It should be on record that this is not the first time that the DOS has been alleged of brutally beating a woman; the alleged incidence of his girlfriend being severely beaten is popular on campus. He has also shown to me on certain occasions that he has an aggressive make-up and there is an urgent need in the present circumstances to run a BAC test on him for heavy alcohol content and substance abuse because his aggression that day was beyond normal.

That I and the DOS are on friendly terms.

There have been false reports that I and the DOS are on friendly terms because we are from the same town. I want to state categorically that everyone in the Central Executive Council were unknown to me until our election as union officers brought us together. I do not know the DOS Lamba (as he is popularly called) from Adam. He had threatened to beat me up in town recently and as a result even my going to the SUB had been curtailed to about 9am to 6pm so as to avoid any form of molestation. I have been working more from outside my office in the wake of recent tensions. But being an examination period I wanted to focus on my exams and not get distracted that is why I have not taken it up.

The violent content in our union is unbecoming of the Great Ife Students Union that we used to know where you can talk aggressively for all you want but must not make physical contact in aggression. Our values are gone and if we do nothing, we would all suffer for it.

VIOLENCE AND VIOLENT BEHAVIOUR MUST STOP IN O.A.U.!

The president of the Students Union all the while did nothing to stop the whole brouhaha, he pleasured himself with the scene, tactically ensuring I was humiliated. On two occasions he led a team of other union officers and student thugs to taunt me at the university health centre and the SDA. His insensitivity and indiscretion as the union president cannot be excused especially after the display of hooliganism at the SDA. He could not control his student thugs to the point that they put the Hospital Management under duress to allow them into the casualty ward where I was receiving treatment. It was the masterful handling of the Acting Chief Medical Director that there was breakdown of law and order, though there was an aggressive scene that put the entire hospital complex in an opprobrium and fear for several minutes. What excuse could the president ever have for such show of indiscretion?

They planned to concoct a good story and flood the press while I was still in shock, so that by the time I would be coming back I would be on the defensive. This is what they have done and the public must be discerning enough not to be misled. I have been medically unfit to give any comprehensive statement until now, and even now it is a big struggle, but I had to force this out even in great physical, emotional and psychological trauma. This violence must not be covered up! I was the only woman in that meeting and was powerless against the pack. I was intimidated, threatened and an opportunity was created for the DOS to vent his pent-up grievances on me through assault and brutal battery.

URGENT DEMANDS

I request that the press/media be more fair and balanced in its reportage. I have had to grant several press interviews from my hospital bed even in serious physical discomfort so that the narrative can change, the danger of a single and persistently re-cycled story is grave and inimical to justice, equity and an egalitarian society. The first person to get to the press should not be given the stage absolutely and there is a need for Editors of Newspaper houses to screen the efforts of their student reporters, as many of them are still learning the rudiments of professional journalism and do not know the place of patience in handling casualty cases of this nature. A lot of balance could have been brought to the reports if they listened to impartial eyewitnesses apart from the members of the central executive council or at least getting sufficient information from.

That the general public and relevant authorities take an interest in the matter.
That the university authorities take a principled approach to the matter by setting up a panel of enquiry to probe into the issues and to deal punitive measures for such aggressive and violent abuse.

That proscription of the union is defeatist and an unprincipled way of treating the misbehaviour of a few bad eggs as against the over twenty-five thousand (25,000) students whose interests the union and its three arms represent. Instead punitive measures should be taken to curb and curtail such unbecoming crude and crass behaviour of members of just one arm of the union.

That the security unit of the university be more professional in its handling of security issues especially as they relate to student leaders. The nature of calls I have received, impressions and carriage of certain members of the security unit to my mind doesnt inspire sufficient confidence. The leadership of the security unit visited me at the hospital and in fairness to them, they helped in facilitating some of the processes at the hospital; but there are two things I will quickly state here as pointers to my impression. First during the visit of the unit to the hospital, there was no visible initiative on their path to take forensic evidence even if it is photographs, but I later learnt that they were led by the president to the presidents office where they took photographs of the scene of the incidence under the guide of the president who is a party linked to the circumstances in question. Secondly, many of these students who have shown persistent verbal and physical threats have been reported and are known to them, yet they hobnob in an unprofessional manner with some of these persons. Yes, a student environment has its peculiar challenges and terrain, especially O.A.U with its very vocal approach to issues of public interest and the often flashpoints of controversies that often come up, however, there are clear-cut instances of pure hooliganism by certain bands of people that they turn a blind eye to.

That the president of the union is complicit in this matter in holding me in his office against my will even when I raised alarm, expressed my displeasure against the hostage made frantic efforts to leave.

Signed:
Tosin Jacob Grace (Emerald), vice-president of the students union
Cc:
The General Nigerian Public and Obafemi Awolowo University Community (Staff and students)
The Vice-Chancellor through the Division of Students Affairs, Obafemi Awolowo University
Division of Students Affairs, Obafemi Awolowo University
Security Unit of Obafemi Awolowo University
Students Representative Council of Obafemi Awolowo University
Students Judicial Council of Obafemi Awolowo University
Area Commander of the Nigeria Police, Ile-Ife
National and Campus Press and Media Houses

CC: lalasticlala
Re: O.A.U Vice President Emerald Speaks On O.A.U Union Brouhaha by Florblu(f): 2:12pm On Sep 08, 2017
Hmmmm......
What a nice script
Re: O.A.U Vice President Emerald Speaks On O.A.U Union Brouhaha by HeyHey(f): 2:27pm On Sep 08, 2017
That Lamba is a serial woman beater. Ask his ex girlfriends, how he locked and tortured them. That spineless thief called Dr IBK only used him to do his dirty work.

She carried bottle out of self defence, she was even bleeding from her nose..

(1) (Reply)

See 10 Best Private Universities In Nigeria With Pictures / JAMB To Conduct Mop Up Exams For Candidates Who Missed Their Exams / Federal Government Now Spends As High As N1.1m On The Average UNILAG Graduate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.