Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,708 members, 7,816,909 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:57 PM

Reno Omokri Visits Cappadocia Caves Where Christians Hid From Persecution - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Reno Omokri Visits Cappadocia Caves Where Christians Hid From Persecution (28842 Views)

Pastor Victor Ativie: Osinachi Nwachukwu's Husband Hid Money Paid To Her (Video) / Physically Challenged Woman Hid Son & Lied To Extort Money From Prophet Fufeyin / Religious Persecution: US Places Nigeria On Special Watch List Of Countries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reno Omokri Visits Cappadocia Caves Where Christians Hid From Persecution by easymancfc(m): 6:09pm On Sep 11, 2017
where in the bible does it say Christians worshipped God on the Sabbath..
Re: Reno Omokri Visits Cappadocia Caves Where Christians Hid From Persecution by easymancfc(m): 6:26pm On Sep 11, 2017
[quote author=blueAgent post=60355302][/quote]

Historical Christianity as well as Protestant, Pentecostal and Evangelical Christians believe according to the Bible that Christians worshiped on Sunday.. not on the sabbath.. THAT IS AN ADVENTIST LIE

Can you provide historical OR BIBLICAL EVIDENCE THAT CHRISTIANS WORSHIPPED GOD ON SABBATH SPECIFICALLY OR SEQUENTIALLY,
Re: Reno Omokri Visits Cappadocia Caves Where Christians Hid From Persecution by 701ecilana: 7:05pm On Sep 11, 2017
easymancfc:

My dear either comprehension is
problem for you or you didn't read anything I posted.. read to understand not to reply

Yes they were identified by their location to specify which Church was being addressed.. The Church of Jesus Christ on earth is UNIVERSAL and that is what catholic means... so to specify which of the universal church is being spoken about.. you use the location...
Catholic Church can be any of the millions of catholic churches all over the world... but I say the EDO Catholic Church.. It is clearer... catholic means universal.. the location is used for specificity

Because you assume that A successor of the apostles cannot "name" a church but Nigerian "Men of God" can...

because you don't know church history.. Go and read early Church historian EUSEBIUS OF CAESAREA'S HISTORY OF THE EARLY CHURCH... WHICH RECORDS LETTER WRITTEN BY SUCCESSORS OF THE APOSTLES TO VARIOUS CHURCHES

LIKE I HAVE POINTED OUT.. John's seven letters are different from Ignatius's letters to the Churches and his friend and Bishop of Smyrna.. Polycarp

He called the church catholic because according to Jesus, his church was to spread throughout the whole world among all the nations, meaning universal, catholic means universal, according to the whole.
Yes Jesus did and anyone else who refers to the church as universal or for all nations

You claim i lacked comprehension yet you responded to my posts accordingly.

You people have a way of trying to wriggle things your way. It just like Islam trying to fix Muhammed into the Bible.

Sir, believe it or not, Catholicism began after the Roman Empire adopted the Church as a state religion and thought it could hijack the power and manifestation of the Holy Spirit.

And did these so called Church fathers also worshipped Mary and the dead Saints?

Listen, The Bible stands true and whatever is not recorded in it is a lie. When Christ comes we shall stand before him to recieve our rewards, be they good or bad. But believe me, the Bible shall be the hardstick for judgement.

Am done going back and forth with this.

Let's wait for Jesus.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reno Omokri Visits Cappadocia Caves Where Christians Hid From Persecution by 701ecilana: 7:06pm On Sep 11, 2017
blueAgent:

I Concur 100%,They are desperate to prove ther genuity as a true church by atrributing the origin of church to themselves.
My dear, the same thing the Muslims are doing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reno Omokri Visits Cappadocia Caves Where Christians Hid From Persecution by 701ecilana: 7:07pm On Sep 11, 2017
blueAgent:

True.

A look at The Book of Revelations chapter 1, shows that Jesus addressed the Churchs by their different names and location.

Paul also addressed his letters to the different Churches using their locations as their names.
Re: Reno Omokri Visits Cappadocia Caves Where Christians Hid From Persecution by 701ecilana: 7:14pm On Sep 11, 2017
easymancfc:

Am sorry to say.. but I think comprehension is the problem.. there is a difference between naming something and calling it by Its name... HISTORY SHOWS THE CHURCH TO BE CALLED CATHOLIC... WHOEVER NAMES IT DOESN'T MATTER.. WHAT MATTERS IS THAT IT WAS CALLED WHICH ANSWERS YOUR QUESTION DIRECTLY

Stop being Silly... like I pointed out earlier, John's letters in Revelation are different from Ignatius letters... Ignatius wrote to the Churches and his friend Polycarp in a different scenario than John did... John wrote to seven Churches

Ignatius's letters are
The Letter to the Ephesians ,
The Letter to the Magnesians ,
The Letter to the Trallians ,
The Letter to the Romans ,
The Letter to the Philadelphians ,
The Letter to the Smyrnaeans ,
The Letter to Polycarp, Bishop of Smyrna

John's Letters are to the Churches in
Ephesus
Smyrna
Thyatira
Pergamum
Sardis
Philadelphia
Laodicea

So the letters are different... The content were different... they were written at different times... the Occasion was different

And for your information... Any ordained bishop can write to any Church... Paul wrote to Ephesus... so did John in revelation... Paul wrote to Galatia.. so did Peter in his Epistles.. what matters is for the Churches to recognize you as a Leader of any of the Churches...

Secondly after the apostles died their successors also wrote letters to churches they could not go to...
Who is being silly between both of us?

Who was Ignatius to write Letters to a church he didn't form? Even The Apoatle John didn't do it. Who was Ignatius?

The Letters to those Churches, Jesus wrote them through John to His Churches. Who was Ignatius?

Apostles Paul wrote Letters to Churches becos he planted them, who was Ignatius am asking again?

All other Apostles wrote general letters, but your Ignatius had the affront to write a letter to the Church of Jesus?

Listen, am done here, go on with attempts at perverting the gospel of Jesus.

1 Like

Re: Reno Omokri Visits Cappadocia Caves Where Christians Hid From Persecution by easymancfc(m): 7:17pm On Sep 11, 2017
701ecilana:

You people have a way of trying to wriggle things your way. It just like Islam trying to fix Muhammed into the Bible.

Sir, believe it or not, Catholicism began after the Roman Empire adopted the Church as a state religion and thought it could hijack the power and manifestation of the Holy Spirit.

And did these so called Church fathers also worshipped Mary and the dead Saints?

Listen, The Bible stands true and whatever is not recorded in it is a lie. When Christ comes we shall stand before him to recieve our rewards, be they good or bad. But believe me, the Bible shall be the hardstick for judgement.

Let's wait for Jesus.

That's always the goto lines for you guys.. To lie against the catholic Church with Mary and "dead" saints.. Well I don't worship Mary and the saints.. The Church Catholic church worships only Jesus Christ, we just give honour and respect to whom it is due...
But you're right LET JESUS JUDGE..
Re: Reno Omokri Visits Cappadocia Caves Where Christians Hid From Persecution by 701ecilana: 7:20pm On Sep 11, 2017
easymancfc:

That's always the goto lines for you guys.. To lie against the catholic Church with Mary and "dead" saints.. Well I don't worship Mary and the saints.. The Church Catholic church worships only Jesus Christ, we just give honour and respect to whom it is due...
But you're right LET JESUS JUDGE..

Yeah? Do you think by saying you don't worship Mary and the dead saints will really mean you dont?
I was a Catholic and i said the exact same thing you are saying now.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reno Omokri Visits Cappadocia Caves Where Christians Hid From Persecution by easymancfc(m): 7:45pm On Sep 11, 2017
701ecilana:

Who is being silly between both of us?

Who was Ignatius to write Letters to a church he didn't form? Even The Apoatle John didn't do it. Who was Ignatius?
The Letters to those Churches, Jesus wrote them through John to His Churches. Who was Ignatius?
You are the one creating a rule that is unfounded and unbiblical.. there is no rule that says YOU MUST NOT WRITE TO ANY CHURCH YOU DID NOT FOUND...

701ecilana:

Apostles Paul wrote Letters to Churches becos he planted them, who was Ignatius am asking again?
Paul wrote to Churches he didn't plant also.. For example Paul wrote to the Colossians but according to the Bible.. it was Epaphras that evangelized the Colossians and the Laodiceans.. (see col. 1:3-7),.

Peter also wrote to some Churches which he did not found... (see 2 peter 1:1)..

James wrote generally to all Jewsih Christians regardless of which church they belonged to or who founded it.. see James 1:1 etc

701ecilana:

All other Apostles wrote general letters, but your Ignatius had the affront to write a letter to the Church of Jesus?
1. ALL APostles DID NOT WRITE GENERAL LETTERS.. THERE'S NO GENERAL LETTER BY
MATHIAS, BARTHOLOMEW, JAMES OF ZEBEDEE, THOMAS ETC..

My dear a letter is simply a means of communication.. Ignatius could write because he was a Bishop, A bishop who was ordained during apostolic times..
there are many other letters written by successors of the apostles to different Churches,
SO IT WAS NOT JUST IGNATIUS WHO WROTE BUT SOME OF THOSE BISHOPS WHO WERE SUCCESSORS OF THE APOSTLES... THEY COMMUNICATED WITH CHURCHES VIA LETTERS ALSO AFTER THE APOSTLES DIED...

READ EARLY CHURCH HISTORY BY EUSEBIUS OF CAESAREA

701ecilana:

Listen, am done here, go on with attempts at perverting the gospel of Jesus.
that's what you said before yet you made this comment... Am not perverting any gospel am just correcting your knowledge of history... The new testament did not cover past the year 100AD, BUT THE CHURCH CONTINUED FROM THAT TIME... AND HISTORY RECORDS IT...
Re: Reno Omokri Visits Cappadocia Caves Where Christians Hid From Persecution by easymancfc(m): 7:47pm On Sep 11, 2017
701ecilana:

Yeah? Do you think by saying you don't worship Mary and the dead saints will really mean you dont?
Yes ... because you don't know what the church really taught...
I know that I don't worship Mary and the Saints because worship is an act of the WILL, if you did then you were a Heretic and an idolater.. and the Church condemns such..
Re: Reno Omokri Visits Cappadocia Caves Where Christians Hid From Persecution by blueAgent(m): 4:54am On Sep 13, 2017
easymancfc:

Historical Christianity as well as Protestant, Pentecostal and Evangelical Christians believe according to the Bible that Christians worshiped on Sunday.. not on the sabbath.. THAT IS AN ADVENTIST LIE

Can you provide historical OR BIBLICAL EVIDENCE THAT CHRISTIANS WORSHIPPED GOD ON SABBATH SPECIFICALLY OR SEQUENTIALLY,

. Instead of abolishing the Sabbath, He
carefully taught how it should be observed.
( Matthew 12:1-13.)
38. He taught His disciples that they should do
nothing upon the Sabbath day but what was
“lawful” ( Matthew 12:12.)
39. He instructed His apostles that the Sabbath
should be prayerfully regarded forty years
after His resurrection. ( Matthew 24:20.)
40. The pious women who had been with Jesus
carefully kept the seventh day after His
death. ( Luke 23:56.)
41. Thirty years after Christ's resurrection, the
Holy Spirit' expressly calls it "the Sabbath
day,"( Acts 13:14.)
42. Paul, the apostle to the Gentiles, called it the
"Sabbath day" in A.D. 45. ( Acts 13:27.) Did
not Paul know? Or shall we believe modern
teachers, who affirm that it ceased to be the
Sabbath at the resurrection of Christ?
43. Luke, the inspired Christian historian,
writing as late as A.D. 62, calls it the
"Sabbath day." ( Acts 13:44.)
44. The Gentile converts called it the Sabbath.
( Acts 13:42.)
45. In the great Christian council, A.D. 49, in the
presence of the apostles and thousands of
disciples, James calls it the "sabbath
day." ( Acts 15:21)
46. It was customary to hold prayer meetings
upon that day. ( Acts 16:13.)
47. Paul read the Scriptures in public meetings
on that day. ( Acts 17:2, 3.)
48. It was his custom to preach upon that day.
( Acts 17:2,3.)
49. The Book of Acts alone gives a record of his
holding eighty-four meetings upon that day.
(See Acts 13:14, 44; 16:13; 17:2; 18:4. 11.)
50. There was never any dispute between the
Christians and the Jews about the Sabbath
day. This is proof that the Christians still
observed the same day that the Jews did.
51. In all their accusations against Paul, they
never charged him with disregarding the
Sabbath day. Why did they not, if he did not
keep it?
52. But Paul himself expressly declared that he
had kept the law. “Neither against the law of
the Jews, neither against the temple, nor yet
against Caesar, have I offended any thing at
all." Acts 25:8. How could this be true if he
had not kept the Sabbath?
53. The Sabbath is mentioned in the New
Testament fifty-nine times, and always with
respect, bearing the same title it had in the
Old Testament, “the Sabbath day.”
54. Not a word is said anywhere in the New
Testament about the Sabbath's being
abolished, done away, changed, or anything
of the kind.
55. God has never given permission to any man
to work upon it. Reader, by what authority
do you use - the seventh day for common
labor?
56. No Christian of the New Testament, either
before or after the resurrection, ever did
ordinary work upon the seventh day. Find
one case of that kind, and we will yield the
question. Why should modem Christians do
differently from Bible Christians?
57. There is no record that God has ever
removed His blessing or sanctification from
the seventh day.
58. As the Sabbath was kept in Eden before the
fall, so it will be observed eternally in the
new earth after the restitution. ( Isaiah 66:22,

You could also help yourself with more facts here

https://www.sabbathtruth.com/free-resources/article-library/id/928/100-amazing-facts-about-the-sabbath-and-sunday
Re: Reno Omokri Visits Cappadocia Caves Where Christians Hid From Persecution by blueAgent(m): 4:54am On Sep 13, 2017
701ecilana:
My dear, the same thing the Muslims are doing.

True.
Re: Reno Omokri Visits Cappadocia Caves Where Christians Hid From Persecution by blueAgent(m): 4:57am On Sep 13, 2017
701ecilana:

Let's wait for Jesus.

Good question. let him show us Bible verses where Paul and the apostles worshipped Mary.
Re: Reno Omokri Visits Cappadocia Caves Where Christians Hid From Persecution by blueAgent(m): 4:58am On Sep 13, 2017
easymancfc:

Yes ... because you don't know what the church really taught...
I know that I don't worship Mary and the Saints because worship is an act of the WILL, if you did then you were a Heretic and an idolater.. and the Church condemns such..

Story. Do you know prayer is an act of Worship?
Re: Reno Omokri Visits Cappadocia Caves Where Christians Hid From Persecution by blueAgent(m): 4:59am On Sep 13, 2017
701ecilana:

Spot on.
Re: Reno Omokri Visits Cappadocia Caves Where Christians Hid From Persecution by 701ecilana: 8:20am On Sep 13, 2017
blueAgent:

Spot on.
Oh, how Satan decieves people to keep them down.

BlueAgent come over to this thread and see how these people are trying to pass off paganism for Christianity.
https://www.nairaland.com/4042029/middle-path/12#60405179
Re: Reno Omokri Visits Cappadocia Caves Where Christians Hid From Persecution by easymancfc(m): 10:25am On Sep 13, 2017
blueAgent:

Story. Do you know prayer is an act of Worship?

Prayers is indeed an act of worship.. but prayer in itself is not worship..

Prayer also means to petition or to request..
AND THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT WE DO.. WE REQUEST FOR THE PRAYERS F THE SAINTS IN HEAVEN,

OLD ENGLISH INTERCHANGES PRAYER WITH PETITION EVEN KJV
for example
2 cor 5:20Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we PRAY you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God.

PRAY HERE IS SIMPLY A REQUEST NOT THAT PAUL IS WORSHIPING THE CORINTHIANS
Other translations says
New International Version
We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We IMPLORE you on Christ's behalf: Be reconciled to God.

New Living Translation
So we are Christ's ambassadors; God is
making his appeal through us. We speak for Christ when we PLEAD, "Come back to God!"
EVEN IN COURTS ESPECIALLY IN BRITAIN AND BRITISH COLONIZED COUNTRIES USE THESE WORDS IN THEIR LAW COURT AND PARLIAMENT
, “I pray thee my lord"
According to Webster's dictionary.. Prayer means
1. ENTREAT, IMPLORE —often used
as a function word in introducing a
question, request, or plea

2. to make a request in a humble
manner
3. to address God or a god with
adoration, confession, supplication,
or thanksgiving...

EVEN IN CHRISTIANITY, THERE ARE DIFFERENT TYPES OF PRAYER TO GOD,
ADORATION and BLESSING
THANKS GIVING
PRAISE
PETITION
INTERCESSION..

petition simply means to ask... Sometimes when we petition GOD There is no worship involved..

For example..
"God please protect my children" there's no worship there... just like I can tell a policeman.. "please protect my children"..
NEITHER IS WORSHIP... WORSHIP COMES IN WHEN I ADORE AND BLESS AND GLORIFY GOD ALONG WITH MY PETITION...

SO I "PRAY" YOU TO NOTE THE DIFFERENCE..
Re: Reno Omokri Visits Cappadocia Caves Where Christians Hid From Persecution by easymancfc(m): 12:21pm On Sep 13, 2017
blueAgent:

. Instead of abolishing the Sabbath, He
carefully taught how it should be observed.
( Matthew 12:1-13.)
38. He taught His disciples that they should do
nothing upon the Sabbath day but what was
“lawful” ( Matthew 12:12.)

Amen.. It was lawful for the Jews to keep the Sabbath in the old covenant, the new covenant had not been established yet with Christ death on the Cross.. The Purpose of the Sabbath would be fulfilled in the New covenant with the LORD'S DAY..

blueAgent:

39. He instructed His apostles that the Sabbath
should be prayerfully regarded forty years
after His resurrection. ( Matthew 24:20.)
Jesus was talking about the awful horror and He used the Sabbath because they were still familiar with it.. the concept of the Lord's day had not being established yet...

blueAgent:

40. The pious women who had been with Jesus
carefully kept the seventh day after His
death. ( Luke 23:56.)

Amen.. they kept the Sabbath as good Jews as the law commanded.. The new covenant day of rest (THE RESURRECTION (LORD'S DAY) had come yet so they are right to do that..

blueAgent:

41. Thirty years after Christ's resurrection, the Holy Spirit' expressly calls it "the Sabbath day,"( Acts 13:14.)

Amen.. the Holy Spirit called the Sabbath day because that's what it is known as to the Jews.. As a Jew Paul went to the synagogue because his fellow Jews gathered there on the Sabbath, to evangelize them...
blueAgent:

42. Paul, the apostle to the Gentiles, called it the
"Sabbath day" in A.D. 45. ( Acts 13:27.) Did
not Paul know? Or shall we believe modern
teachers, who affirm that it ceased to be the
Sabbath at the resurrection of Christ?

The Sabbath remained the Sabbath for the Jews, it still had its significance to them... Paul as a Jew or anyone familiar with it can call It the Sabbath, the thing is For Christians, The Spiritual significance of the Sabbath moved to the LORDS DAY (THE FIRST DAY OF THE WEEK)...
(see acts 2:42, 20:7,)

blueAgent:

43. Luke, the inspired Christian historian,
writing as late as A.D. 62, calls it the
"Sabbath day." ( Acts 13:44.)
44. The Gentile converts called it the Sabbath.
( Acts 13:42.)
45. In the great Christian council, A.D. 49, in the
presence of the apostles and thousands of
disciples, James calls it the "sabbath
day." ( Acts 15:21)
meetings upon that day. ( Acts 16:13.)

Amen.. Again.. the Sabbath is the name given to the seventh day, but the spiritual importance of the Sabbath has been fulfilled for Christians on the Lord's day..

blueAgent:

47. Paul read the Scriptures in public meetings
on that day. ( Acts 17:2, 3.)

On that day he went to the Thessalonica and visited the Jewish synagogue there to evangelize them.. see acts 17:1
blueAgent:

48. It was his custom to preach upon that day.
( Acts 17:2,3.)

His custom was to seek out the Jews in every town he entered and preach Jesus to them.. and the time he could get them all in one place was on the Sabbath...

blueAgent:

49. The Book of Acts alone gives a record of his
holding eighty-four meetings upon that day.
(See Acts 13:14, 44; 16:13; 17:2; 18:4. 11.)

And in every case he goes to the synagogue because the Jews gathered on that day except in chapter 13 where he went to the river where prayer was to be made..
blueAgent:

50. There was never any dispute between the
Christians and the Jews about the Sabbath
day. This is proof that the Christians still
observed the same day that the Jews did.

NO ITS NOT... There was no dispute because the Jews kept the Sabbath.. the Gentile Christians kept the Lord's day (acts 20:7, 1 cor 16:2).. Some christian Jews out of fear of being cut off attended temple also in addition to keeping the Lord's day.... So there was no dispute... Judaism is not Christianity so Christians or Jews don't need to dispute their day of worship.. if you chose to be a Jew and reject the new covenant day of rest then that's left for you...
blueAgent:

51. In all their accusations against Paul, they
never charged him with disregarding the
Sabbath day. Why did they not, if he did not
keep it?

Paul being a good Jew went to the temple on the Sabbath to preach Jesus to his fellow Jews.. since they could see him in the temple on the sabbath he kept it to them... But as a Christian he knew the spiritual significance of the Sabbath was fulfilled in Jesus on the day of the Resurrection.. the Lord's day.. Besides that.. We don't find any command from Paul to the Gentiles to keep the Sabbath, they all kept the Lord's day...

blueAgent:

52. But Paul himself expressly declared that he
had kept the law. “Neither against the law of
the Jews, neither against the temple, nor yet
against Caesar, have I offended any thing at
all." Acts 25:8. How could this be true if he
had not kept the Sabbath?

Paul was a good citizen.. so he obeyed the rules.. it does not mean that all Christians should keep the Sabbath because Paul a good Jew did.. There's no place in his epistles where he commanded or admonished gentile believers to keep the Sabbath.. but biblically they kept the Lord's day.... see acts 20:7, 1 cor 16:2, rev 1:10)

blueAgent:

53. The Sabbath is mentioned in the New
Testament fifty-nine times, and always with
respect, bearing the same title it had in the
Old Testament, “the Sabbath day.”

This doesn't prove anything... the new testament mentions a lot of things a lot of times.. does the new testament command gentile Christians to keep the Sabbath...
col 2:16Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:17which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

so unlike the Jews the Christians kept the Day of Christ.. the Lord's day as a fulfilment of the Sabbath obligation...

blueAgent:

54. Not a word is said anywhere in the New
Testament about the Sabbath's being
abolished, done away, changed, or anything
of the kind.
The Sabbath was not changed.. it was fulfilled in Jesus Christ's resurrection on the Lords Day... So Jesus is the essence... see col 2:16..
blueAgent:

55. God has never given permission to any man
to work upon it. Reader, by what authority
do you use - the seventh day for common
labor?
56. No Christian of the New Testament, either
before or after the resurrection, ever did
ordinary work upon the seventh day. Find
one case of that kind, and we will yield the
question. Why should modem Christians do
differently from Bible Christians?
Jewish Christians yes.. but not gentile Christians that command was never given to them...

blueAgent:

57. There is no record that God has ever
removed His blessing or sanctification from
the seventh day.
58. As the Sabbath was kept in Eden before the
fall, so it will be observed eternally in the
new earth after the restitution. ( Isaiah 66:22,

As Paul said in 1 cor 15, It is Christ's ressurrection that makes Christianity what it is.. and that moment of significance happened on the first day of the week and Christians gathered on that day...
THE REST FROM SIN IS THE ULTIMATE REST MAN HAS.. AND IT WAS ACHIEVED AT THE RESURRECTION ON THE LORD'S DAY.. FULFILLING THE PURPOSE OF THE SABBATH..
blueAgent:

You could also help yourself with more facts here

https://www.sabbathtruth.com/free-resources/article-library/id/928/100-amazing-facts-about-the-sabbath-and-sunday

thanks but I will stick to the Historic and general interpretation of scripture and the testimony of the early Christians....
Re: Reno Omokri Visits Cappadocia Caves Where Christians Hid From Persecution by easymancfc(m): 12:37pm On Sep 13, 2017
blueAgent:

I will go with historical Christianity than with the latter Day Adventist church..
here's what some early Christians had to say on the matter
The Didache
"But every Lord’s day . . . gather yourselves together and break bread, and give thanksgiving after having confessed your transgressions, that your sacrifice may be pure. But let no one that is at variance with his fellow come together with you, until they be reconciled, that your sacrifice may not be profaned" (Didache 14 [A.D. 70]).

The Letter of Barnabas​​​​​​​
"We keep the eighth day [Sunday] with joyfulness, the day also on which Jesus rose again from the dead" (Letter of Barnabas 15:6–8 [A.D. 74]). ​​​​​​​

Ignatius of Antioch​​​​​​​

"[T]hose who were brought up in the ancient order of things [i.e. Jews] have come to the possession of a new hope, no longer observing the Sabbath, but living in the observance of the Lord’s day, on which also our life has sprung up again by him and by his death" (Letter to the Magnesians 8 [A.D. 110]).

Justin Martyr​​​​​​​
"[W]e too would observe the fleshly circumcision, and the Sabbaths, and in short all the feasts, if we did not know for what reason they were enjoined [on] you—namely, on account of your transgressions and the hardness of your heart. . . . [H]ow is it, Trypho, that we would not observe those rites which do not harm us—I speak of fleshly circumcision and Sabbaths and feasts? . . . God enjoined you to keep the Sabbath, and imposed on you other precepts for a sign, as I have already said, on account of your unrighteousness and that of your fathers . . ." (Dialogue with Trypho the Jew 18, 21 [A.D. 155]).

"But Sunday is the day on which we all hold our common assembly, because it is the first day on which God, having wrought a change in the darkness and matter, made the world; and Jesus Christ our Savior on the same day rose from the dead" (First Apology 67 [A.D. 155]).

Tertullian​​​​​​​
"[L]et him who contends that the Sabbath is still to be observed as a balm of salvation, and circumcision on the eighth day . . . teach us that, for the time past, righteous men kept the Sabbath or practiced circumcision, and were thus rendered ‘friends of God.’ For if circumcision purges a man, since God made Adam uncircumcised, why did he not circumcise him, even after his sinning, if circumcision purges? . . . Therefore, since God originated Adam uncircumcised and unobservant of the Sabbath, consequently his offspring also, Abel, offering him sacrifices, uncircumcised and unobservant of the Sabbath, was by him [God] commended [Gen. 4:1–7, Heb. 11:4]. . . . Noah also, uncircumcised—yes, and unobservant of the Sabbath—God freed from the deluge. For Enoch too, most righteous man, uncircumcised and unobservant of the Sabbath, he translated from this world, who did not first taste death in order that, being a candidate for eternal life, he might show us that we also may, without the burden of the law of Moses, please God" (An Answer to the Jews 2 [A.D. 203]).

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reno Omokri Visits Cappadocia Caves Where Christians Hid From Persecution by Ubenedictus(m): 2:46pm On Sep 18, 2017
701ecilana:

No one removed Apostle John from Ephesus. He was there but he never planted any Church there.

Listen, this is not about Apostle John and if he were in Ephesus or not or whether or not he was a Church leader there.
This is about the naming of the Church 'Catholic?'
Who named the Church Catholic Church? And when?

Pls, do not insult my intelligence. Gone are the days i wait for my priest to tell me what the Pope approves for me to know and believe. I have a mind of my own and i read. I have 4 different Bible Translations, i read them. I read everything printed in English, so don't think i'm still a Catholic.

sorry dear but you have already singlehandedly insulted your own intelligence all by yourself.

you claimed that the church was named Catholic church after it was made a state religion by Constantine, you have been shown clear historic proof that the church was already called Catholic for over 200 years before Constantine instead of admitting you may have been wrong and taking correction like any wise person would you are busy splitting hairs.

you claimed that the church was named Catholic when it was made a state religion, I have shown it already had that name for over 200years before .

that is that, what you are doing above is slitting hairs
Re: Reno Omokri Visits Cappadocia Caves Where Christians Hid From Persecution by blueAgent(m): 6:39am On Sep 19, 2017
easymancfc:

I will go with historical Christianity than with the latter Day Adventist church..
here's what some early Christians had to say on the matter
The Didache
"But every Lord’s day . . . gather yourselves together and break bread, and give thanksgiving after having confessed your transgressions, that your sacrifice may be pure. But let no one that is at variance with his fellow come together with you, until they be reconciled, that your sacrifice may not be profaned" (Didache 14 [A.D. 70]).

The Letter of Barnabas​​​​​​​
"We keep the eighth day [Sunday] with joyfulness, the day also on which Jesus rose again from the dead" (Letter of Barnabas 15:6–8 [A.D. 74]). ​​​​​​​

Ignatius of Antioch​​​​​​​

"[T]hose who were brought up in the ancient order of things [i.e. Jews] have come to the possession of a new hope, no longer observing the Sabbath, but living in the observance of the Lord’s day, on which also our life has sprung up again by him and by his death" (Letter to the Magnesians 8 [A.D. 110]).

Justin Martyr​​​​​​​
"[W]e too would observe the fleshly circumcision, and the Sabbaths, and in short all the feasts, if we did not know for what reason they were enjoined [on] you—namely, on account of your transgressions and the hardness of your heart. . . . [H]ow is it, Trypho, that we would not observe those rites which do not harm us—I speak of fleshly circumcision and Sabbaths and feasts? . . . God enjoined you to keep the Sabbath, and imposed on you other precepts for a sign, as I have already said, on account of your unrighteousness and that of your fathers . . ." (Dialogue with Trypho the Jew 18, 21 [A.D. 155]).

"But Sunday is the day on which we all hold our common assembly, because it is the first day on which God, having wrought a change in the darkness and matter, made the world; and Jesus Christ our Savior on the same day rose from the dead" (First Apology 67 [A.D. 155]).

Tertullian​​​​​​​
"[L]et him who contends that the Sabbath is still to be observed as a balm of salvation, and circumcision on the eighth day . . . teach us that, for the time past, righteous men kept the Sabbath or practiced circumcision, and were thus rendered ‘friends of God.’ For if circumcision purges a man, since God made Adam uncircumcised, why did he not circumcise him, even after his sinning, if circumcision purges? . . . Therefore, since God originated Adam uncircumcised and unobservant of the Sabbath, consequently his offspring also, Abel, offering him sacrifices, uncircumcised and unobservant of the Sabbath, was by him [God] commended [Gen. 4:1–7, Heb. 11:4]. . . . Noah also, uncircumcised—yes, and unobservant of the Sabbath—God freed from the deluge. For Enoch too, most righteous man, uncircumcised and unobservant of the Sabbath, he translated from this world, who did not first taste death in order that, being a candidate for eternal life, he might show us that we also may, without the burden of the law of Moses, please God" (An Answer to the Jews 2 [A.D. 203]).

How do we know that your Church did not forge that Letter? the only credible word we can accept is those of the Bible and the bible says God's day of rest was never changed.
Re: Reno Omokri Visits Cappadocia Caves Where Christians Hid From Persecution by blueAgent(m): 6:43am On Sep 19, 2017
easymancfc:

Amen.. It was lawful for the Jews to keep the Sabbath in the old covenant, the new covenant had not been established yet with Christ death on the Cross.. The Purpose of the Sabbath would be fulfilled in the New covenant with the LORD'S DAY..

Jesus was talking about the awful horror and He used the Sabbath because they were still familiar with it.. the concept of the Lord's day had not being established yet...

Amen.. they kept the Sabbath as good Jews as the law commanded.. The new covenant day of rest (THE RESURRECTION (LORD'S DAY) had come yet so they are right to do that..

Amen.. the Holy Spirit called the Sabbath day because that's what it is known as to the Jews.. As a Jew Paul went to the synagogue because his fellow Jews gathered there on the Sabbath, to evangelize them...

The Sabbath remained the Sabbath for the Jews, it still had its significance to them... Paul as a Jew or anyone familiar with it can call It the Sabbath, the thing is For Christians, The Spiritual significance of the Sabbath moved to the LORDS DAY (THE FIRST DAY OF THE WEEK)...
(see acts 2:42, 20:7,)

Amen.. Again.. the Sabbath is the name given to the seventh day, but the spiritual importance of the Sabbath has been fulfilled for Christians on the Lord's day..

On that day he went to the Thessalonica and visited the Jewish synagogue there to evangelize them.. see acts 17:1

His custom was to seek out the Jews in every town he entered and preach Jesus to them.. and the time he could get them all in one place was on the Sabbath...

And in every case he goes to the synagogue because the Jews gathered on that day except in chapter 13 where he went to the river where prayer was to be made..

NO ITS NOT... There was no dispute because the Jews kept the Sabbath.. the Gentile Christians kept the Lord's day (acts 20:7, 1 cor 16:2).. Some christian Jews out of fear of being cut off attended temple also in addition to keeping the Lord's day.... So there was no dispute... Judaism is not Christianity so Christians or Jews don't need to dispute their day of worship.. if you chose to be a Jew and reject the new covenant day of rest then that's left for you...

Paul being a good Jew went to the temple on the Sabbath to preach Jesus to his fellow Jews.. since they could see him in the temple on the sabbath he kept it to them... But as a Christian he knew the spiritual significance of the Sabbath was fulfilled in Jesus on the day of the Resurrection.. the Lord's day.. Besides that.. We don't find any command from Paul to the Gentiles to keep the Sabbath, they all kept the Lord's day...

Paul was a good citizen.. so he obeyed the rules.. it does not mean that all Christians should keep the Sabbath because Paul a good Jew did.. There's no place in his epistles where he commanded or admonished gentile believers to keep the Sabbath.. but biblically they kept the Lord's day.... see acts 20:7, 1 cor 16:2, rev 1:10)

This doesn't prove anything... the new testament mentions a lot of things a lot of times.. does the new testament command gentile Christians to keep the Sabbath...
col 2:16Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:17which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

so unlike the Jews the Christians kept the Day of Christ.. the Lord's day as a fulfilment of the Sabbath obligation...

The Sabbath was not changed.. it was fulfilled in Jesus Christ's resurrection on the Lords Day... So Jesus is the essence... see col 2:16..

Jewish Christians yes.. but not gentile Christians that command was never given to them...

As Paul said in 1 cor 15, It is Christ's ressurrection that makes Christianity what it is.. and that moment of significance happened on the first day of the week and Christians gathered on that day...
THE REST FROM SIN IS THE ULTIMATE REST MAN HAS.. AND IT WAS ACHIEVED AT THE RESURRECTION ON THE LORD'S DAY.. FULFILLING THE PURPOSE OF THE SABBATH..

thanks but I will stick to the Historic and general interpretation of scripture and the testimony of the early Christians....

Heresy .
Re: Reno Omokri Visits Cappadocia Caves Where Christians Hid From Persecution by easymancfc(m): 6:04pm On Sep 19, 2017
blueAgent:

Heresy .
According to who?? Seventh Day Adventist... I laugh in Swahili...
Re: Reno Omokri Visits Cappadocia Caves Where Christians Hid From Persecution by easymancfc(m): 6:13pm On Sep 19, 2017
blueAgent:

How do we know that your Church did not forge that Letter? the only credible word we can accept is those of the Bible and the bible says God's day of rest was never changed.
Because Historical sources like encyclopedia Britannica and Wikipedia and Prestigious Academic institutions have verified them...
Secondly.. Non Catholic and even anti catholic Christian who have good knowledge of history agree...

here are some examples
https://www.gci.org/law/sabbath/hanson

www.bible.ca/7-history-sabbath.htm

There are many more..
Note all of these guys are as anti Catholic as the Adventists..
Re: Reno Omokri Visits Cappadocia Caves Where Christians Hid From Persecution by blueAgent(m): 11:11pm On Sep 19, 2017
easymancfc:

Because Historical sources like encyclopedia Britannica and Wikipedia and Prestigious Academic institutions have verified them...
Secondly.. Non Catholic and even anti catholic Christian who have good knowledge of history agree...

here are some examples
https://www.gci.org/law/sabbath/hanson

www.bible.ca/7-history-sabbath.htm

There are many more..
Note all of these guys are as anti Catholic as the Adventists..

Laughable .

Is a know fact Catholic is the mystery Babalyon no matter how you deny it
Re: Reno Omokri Visits Cappadocia Caves Where Christians Hid From Persecution by blueAgent(m): 11:15pm On Sep 19, 2017
easymancfc:
According to the word of God(the Bible)
Re: Reno Omokri Visits Cappadocia Caves Where Christians Hid From Persecution by blueAgent(m): 11:16pm On Sep 19, 2017
easymancfc:
Re: Reno Omokri Visits Cappadocia Caves Where Christians Hid From Persecution by 701ecilana: 11:27pm On Sep 19, 2017
Ubenedictus:

sorry dear but you have already singlehandedly insulted your own intelligence all by yourself.

you claimed that the church was named Catholic church after it was made a state religion by Constantine, you have been shown clear historic proof that the church was already called Catholic for over 200 years before Constantine instead of admitting you may have been wrong and taking correction like any wise person would you are busy splitting hairs.

you claimed that the church was named Catholic when it was made a state religion, I have shown it already had that name for over 200years before .

that is that, what you are doing above is slitting hairs
Who is this one. Show me where tje Church of Jesus Cbrist was called Catholic Church? You dey learn talk? Abeg turn to that side, i don't talk to people who just blow steam with nothing inside.

If i decide not to continue the argument it's not because they are right.

Now move along. when you die Mary shall welcome you to hellfire because i know the marry you worship is not the mother if Jesus.
Re: Reno Omokri Visits Cappadocia Caves Where Christians Hid From Persecution by easymancfc(m): 5:52am On Sep 20, 2017
blueAgent:

According to your Adventist interpretation of the Bible... Which every other Christian Denomination reject and interpret correctly.. According to the Bible.. The Jews had the Sabbath... but the Christians had the First day of the week, the day of the resurrection.. the Lord's day..

1 Like

Re: Reno Omokri Visits Cappadocia Caves Where Christians Hid From Persecution by easymancfc(m): 5:57am On Sep 20, 2017
blueAgent:

Laughable .

Is a know fact Catholic is the mystery Babalyon no matter how you deny it

What are you laughing at...
You asked how I knew that the Catholic Church didn't forge those writings AND I ANSWERED now you are saying that I am denying what you never said?
Go and Learn how to read.

As for mystery Babylon... that has been disproved and rebutted more times than I can count... And I bet you don't know the origin of that accusation too.. you just picked it up and your church has told you many funny things ...

LEARN HOW TO ACCEPT DEFEAT WITH HUMILITY AND STOP MOVING FROM ONE ACCUSATION TO THE OTHER WHEN YOU LOSE AN ARGUMENT...
Re: Reno Omokri Visits Cappadocia Caves Where Christians Hid From Persecution by Ubenedictus(m): 10:06am On Sep 20, 2017
701ecilana:

Who is this one. Show me where tje Church of Jesus Cbrist was called Catholic Church? You dey learn talk? Abeg turn to that side, i don't talk to people who just blow steam with nothing inside.

If i decide not to continue the argument it's not because they are right.

Now move along. when you die Mary shall welcome you to hellfire because i know the marry you worship is not the mother if Jesus.
now who is blowing hot steam.

you claimed the church was named Catholic after it was made a state religion, we have shown clearly that you are wrong and the church was already called Catholic over 200 years before it was even a free religion, instead of admitting you made a mistake you are busy shifting the goal post and making new accusations.

in case you are expecting me in hell don't hold your breath, you subscribe to a modern day endtime heresy unknown for 1900 years of Christianity,you should be worried about your eternal destiny.
Re: Reno Omokri Visits Cappadocia Caves Where Christians Hid From Persecution by blueAgent(m): 11:21pm On Sep 21, 2017
easymancfc:

What are you laughing at...
You asked how I knew that the Catholic Church didn't forge those writings AND I ANSWERED now you are saying that I am denying what you never said?
Go and Learn how to read.

As for mystery Babylon... that has been disproved and rebutted more times than I can count... And I bet you don't know the origin of that accusation too.. you just picked it up and your church has told you many funny things ...

LEARN HOW TO ACCEPT DEFEAT WITH HUMILITY AND STOP MOVING FROM ONE ACCUSATION TO THE OTHER WHEN YOU LOSE AN ARGUMENT...

How has your Church disproved it?

https://m.youtube.com/results?client=mv-google&gl=NG&hl=en&search_type=search_all&q=Catholic+church&submit=Search

You can watch any of those youtube videos and tell me why your Church has too many occultic symbols and Rites.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Ever Happened To You? (Weird Coincidences, Synchronicity, Law Of Attraction). / Is Dancing ' Azonto & Kukere ' In Church Appropriate ? / God Using Buhari To Punish Nigerians – Archbishop Chukwuma

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 151
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.