Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,768 members, 7,817,119 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:25 AM

Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? (5374 Views)

Spitting On Christians Is An Ancient Jewish Tradition (pics) / Hating Christians Is Fulfilment Of The Scripture / NL Christians , Is It Wrong For a Christian To EAT Sallah Meat ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by johnydon22(m): 8:57pm On Sep 08, 2017
701ecilana:

He is not out to have a discussion, but to scorn and malign. Don't feed him. Let the thread die.

We feed these people, without us, they die, let them die.

You cannot be so sure
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by Martinez19(m): 9:09pm On Sep 08, 2017
johnydon22:

LOL calm down abeg... una blood too dey hot here well well
lol. Why e no go hot. You know how many tithe and offering they don chop for my hand? grin

1 Like

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by Edenoscar2(m): 9:09pm On Sep 08, 2017
DoctorAlien:
I must note that this is a nice question.

The word "Law" denotes many things throughout the Bible. Sometimes it refers to the 10 Commandments/moral Law which was given on Mt. Sinai(Deut. 33:2). Other times it refers to the totality of the Laws given to Israel while they were encamped at Sinai(Gal. 3:13). It is also used to refer to the 5 Books of Moses i.e Genesis to Deuteronomy(Matt. 22:40).

The totality of the Laws given to Israel at Sinai is (roughly for now)divided into two parts: the moral Law/10 Commandments and the ceremonial law. The moral Law was written on a stone(which symbolizes durability) and is eternal(Exod. 31:18; Psa. 119:152). The ceremonial law was written in a book(easily perishable) and had to do with sacrifices and oblations and other sabbaths which actually pointed to Jesus Christ, the Lamb of GOD. It was never intended to last forever(Dan. 9:27).

So, in answer to the question: we are done with the ceremonial laws which pointed to Jesus' sacrificial works.

Happy Sabbath.

Which law does tithing fall under?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by DoctorAlien(m): 9:10pm On Sep 08, 2017
johnydon22:

Kill a proven non-virgin wife : Deuteronomy 22:13-21
Kill stubborn son: Deuteronomy 21:18-21
So are these ceremonial or moral codecs?

Good. In the first post I made on this thread, I stated something: "The totality of the laws given to Israel at Sinai is (roughly for now)divided into two parts..." I stated that, thinking that this argument won't go any deeper than that would suffice. But now, this argument is going deeper and your question now borders on another topic.

So I will, to the best of my ability, try now to divide the Laws given at Sinai into different parts which include: moral Law, ceremonial law, civil law, health law.

Another noteworthy point is that ancient Israel was, politically, a theocratic nation i.e. GOD was her King, the law of GOD(and especially the civil law) was her constitution and the law prescribes punishments for offences. You now understand the death penalties for offences.

Anyway, no nation right now is theocratic.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by Martinez19(m): 9:11pm On Sep 08, 2017
johnydon22:

which literally means the Law still stands and wasn't nullified?

well that isn't my problem, my problem is: If the Law stands then practise all of it, if not don't practise any of it. I hope they learn from it
According to the bible, the law still stands. No escape for Yahwehists wink
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by geoworldedu: 9:11pm On Sep 08, 2017
urahara:

And tithing to has not passed away.

Obviously it can't

How then will pastors eat and acquire midas wealth at the expense of their congregation.

tithe is excluded. Bring ye all the tithe into the warehouse. That there may be meat in my house cheesy
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by geoworldedu: 9:14pm On Sep 08, 2017
johnydon22:

Kill a proven non-virgin wife : Deuteronomy 22:13-21

Kill stubborn son: Deuteronomy 21:18-21

So are these ceremonial or moral codecs?
Lol. U want to add more terrorists to the world problem abi. The Girgasite, Amorites, Terabytes, Megabytes and the Kilobytes they killed those days isn't enough ba cheesy

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by johnydon22(m): 9:18pm On Sep 08, 2017
DoctorAlien:

Good. In the first post I made on this thread, I stated something: "The totality of the laws given to Israel at Sinai is (roughly for now)divided into two parts..." I stated that, thinking that this argument won't go any deeper than that would suffice. But now, this argument is going deeper and your question now borders on another topic.

So I will, to the best of my ability, try now to divide the Laws given at Sinai into different parts which include: moral Law, ceremonial law, civil law, health law.

Another noteworthy point is that ancient Israel was, politically, a theocratic nation i.e. GOD was her King, the law of GOD(and especially the civil law) was her constitution and law prescribes punishments for offences. You now understand the death penalties for offences.

Anyway, no nation right now is theocratic.

This doesn't seem to satisfy the purpose and question this thread brings to the table. The question bothers on the status of the Law.

I gave several examples of Old testament Laws still used to judge till this day, for example: Jehovah Witnesses do not eat Pork because the Law forbids it, the person i quoted on the OP brought up the levitical law against tattoo. (Clearly these two are not explicit parts of the 10 commandments)

Now on the same page, many christian sects eat pork with the excuse that the law no longer holds, still they pay tithe and back this practise up with the old testament laws.

This is a doctrinal, theological contradiction if you will.

If the law no longer holds then it no longer does, meaning you can be okay with having a tattoo or being gay as much as you can be with eating pork or wearing clothing of different materials.

But if you chose to obey some part of this old laws and not the others then it falls to the dishonesty practise of cherrypicking.

If we are not to have tattoos because the law is against it, if we are expected to pay tithes because the law expects it then we might as well keep every other part of the law.

So the question is; Do we or do we not?

Or is the cherrypicking the way?

3 Likes

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by johnydon22(m): 9:20pm On Sep 08, 2017
Martinez19:
lol. Why e no go hot. You know how many tithe and offering they don chop for my hand? grin

Hahahahahaha that is no ones fault, you gave it to the Lord
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by johnydon22(m): 9:20pm On Sep 08, 2017
geoworldedu:

Lol. U want to add more terrorists to the world problem abi. The Girgasite, Amorites, Terabytes, Megabytes and the Kilobytes they killed those days isn't enough ba cheesy

Just adding verses and chapters to it brother
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by DoctorAlien(m): 9:25pm On Sep 08, 2017
Edenoscar2:
DoctorAlien:
In the first post I made on this thread, I stated something: "The totality of the laws given to Israel at Sinai is (roughly for now)divided into two parts..."...

These are the parts of the Law given at Sinai which I can state off my head right now.

Remember, tithing predated Sinai. Abraham gave the tithe to Melchizedek(Gen. 14:18-20). Tithing is clearly a commandment which a Christian would happily keep to show his gratitude to GOD for blessing him and also to show support for GOD's work on earth. You could see see tithing a direct consequence of Commandment 1 in the moral law.

1 Like

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by Martinez19(m): 9:25pm On Sep 08, 2017
Edenoscar2:

grin grin grin grin walai, sheeples are very confused set of people. Romans 3:31 says it all.
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by felixomor: 9:26pm On Sep 08, 2017
Johnnydon22

Firstly,
I hope you understand what the word "Christian" means before you opened this this thread?
And I hope you are not confusing the Constitution of Israel in the bible with the ten commandments and then lumping all together as law.....

Secondly,
Virtually, there is no sin you want to commit right now that the words of Jesus Christ doesnt address.....
Its only when you dont know Christ that you get tied up in arguments of the law.
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by Nobody: 9:30pm On Sep 08, 2017
DoctorAlien:
I must note that this is a nice question.

The word "Law" denotes many things throughout the Bible. Sometimes it refers to the 10 Commandments/moral Law which was given on Mt. Sinai(Deut. 33:2). Other times it refers to the totality of the Laws given to Israel while they were encamped at Sinai(Gal. 3:13). It is also used to refer to the 5 Books of Moses i.e Genesis to Deuteronomy(Matt. 22:40).

The totality of the Laws given to Israel at Sinai is (roughly for now)divided into two parts: the moral Law/10 Commandments and the ceremonial law. The moral Law was written on a stone(which symbolizes durability) and is eternal(Exod. 31:18; Psa. 119:152). The ceremonial law was written in a book(easily perishable) and had to do with sacrifices and oblations and other sabbaths which actually pointed to Jesus Christ, the Lamb of GOD. It was never intended to last forever(Dan. 9:27).

So, in answer to the question: we are done with the ceremonial laws which pointed to Jesus' sacrificial works.

Happy Sabbath.

from your explanation non payment of tithe, ladies wearing jeans, eating pork and crayfish is not sinful while not keeping the Sabbath is sinful because it is among the ten commandments which is not ceremonial right?
I like your explanation
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by johnydon22(m): 9:31pm On Sep 08, 2017
felixomor:
Johnnydon22

Firstly,
I hope you understand what the word "Christian" means before you opened this this thread?
And I hope you are not confusing the Constitution of Israel in the bible with the ten commandments and then lumping all together as law.....

Secondly,
Virtually, there is no sin you want to commit right now that the words of Jesus Christ doesnt address.....
Its only when you dont know Christ that you get tied up in arguments of the law.

This still doesn't help
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by felixomor: 9:33pm On Sep 08, 2017
johnydon22:

This still doesn't help

Because you dont know Christ.
Its that simple brah.
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by johnydon22(m): 9:36pm On Sep 08, 2017
felixomor:

Because you dont know Christ.
Its that simple brah.

LOL okay brother, thanks anyway
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by felixomor: 9:37pm On Sep 08, 2017
johnydon22:

LOL okay brother, thanks anyway

You are welcome
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by Nobody: 9:37pm On Sep 08, 2017
felixomor:
Johnnydon22

Firstly,

Secondly,

Since the ten commandments is still relevent for Christians why do they worship on Sundays is Sunday the Sabbath?

2 Likes

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by DoctorAlien(m): 9:44pm On Sep 08, 2017
Johnydon22,

I have shown you that the word "Law" is used to denote many things in the Bible. I have also enlightened you on the different parts of the totality of the Law which was given at Sinai. I also told you that some parts of the Law are no longer in force right now(the ceremonial laws and the civil laws which governed Israel as a theocratic state). You have an obligation to ask questions like an enlightened man now.

If you're asking whether the OT is still authoritative, I say yes(2 Tim. 3:15-16). Tattooing is obviously classed under the health laws. Apart from the fact that it doesn't project one in the best light possible, all of us know the risks of infection associated with tattooing. So, GOD forbade tattooing in His wisdom, and any wise Christian would avoid tattooing.

The same applies to the food. GOD forbade man from eating somethings(e.g. pork) because they are not the best for him. Since GOD, in His love, prescribed wholesome foods for man, I have no problem abiding by His laws.

1 Like

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by GoodMuyis(m): 9:47pm On Sep 08, 2017
johnydon22:

Honestly!!! I do not appreciate the hypocrisy one bit

Are you upset for low response? what if they are busy somewhere else.

The proposition that Law is no longer valid is a "Defensive Mechanism" for some who fail in morality, we are not done with Tue law not yet.

The Law in its entirety, has subdivision just as DoctorAlien had explained, Moral, Ceremonial, Laws for Nazarite, Priest, Pregnant women and those in period, virgin etc

If you look at the and count its about 600 or almost, but then they are not all applicable to everyone. for example am a man but I can't be practising ceremonial law for pregnant women impossible.

there some law that are SPECIFIC to the Israelite and is not applicable to other e.g. Laws for Passover.

If we continued the breakdown, one will realise that a lot of the law is not applicable to Christian. But those one regarding morality is applicable to all.

This is where many Christian are confused.
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by GoodMuyis(m): 9:51pm On Sep 08, 2017
Proudgorgeousga:

Since the ten commandments is still relevent for Christians why do they worship on Sundays is Sunday the Sabbath?

Show me in the Bible where God command, that Sabbath day is for worship
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by Martinez19(m): 9:51pm On Sep 08, 2017
johnydon22:

This still doesn't help
are you minding them? They don't even know their bible. Romans 3:31 says it all. I have been a christian for years and I have been through many denominations. I can tell that the sheeples are very confused set of people who don't know their bible. Too many denominations and interpretations.
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by DoctorAlien(m): 9:52pm On Sep 08, 2017
Proudgorgeousga:
from your explanation non payment of tithe, ladies wearing jeans, eating pork and crayfish is not sinful while not keeping the Sabbath is sinful because it is among the ten commandments which is not ceremonial right?
I like your explanation
DoctorAlien:
In the first post I made on this thread, I stated something: "The totality of the laws given to Israel at Sinai is (roughly for now)divided into two parts..." ...

I have addressed tithing on this thread. The law on dressing can be classed as a civil law. This law was to protect Israel from the corrupting influences of the surrounding nations. The laws on kosher(clean, fit) food are obviously health laws prescribed by GOD in His Wisdom. The Weekly Sabbath is a part of the moral Law which is eternal.

1 Like

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by Nobody: 9:53pm On Sep 08, 2017
GoodMuyis:

remember the Sabbath day and keep it holy.
how do you keep it holy?
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by Nobody: 9:53pm On Sep 08, 2017
GoodMuyis:

remember the Sabbath day and keep it holy.
how do you keep it holy?
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by felixomor: 9:57pm On Sep 08, 2017
Proudgorgeousga:

For those in Christ, everyday has become Sabbath
Every minute is Sabbath....

They are to adorn themselves as the temple of God
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by Nobody: 9:58pm On Sep 08, 2017
DoctorAlien:

I have addressed tithing on this thread. The law on dressing can be classed as a civil law. This law was to protect Israel from the corrupting influences of the surrounding nations. The laws on kosher(clean, fit) food are obviously health laws prescribed by GOD in His Wisdom. The Weekly Sabbath is a part of the moral Law which is eternal.

so tithing isn't compulsory, failure to tithe doesn't lead to hell right?
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by Nobody: 9:59pm On Sep 08, 2017
felixomor:

For those in Christ, everyday has become Sabbath Every minute is Sabbath....
CC doctoralien what do you think?
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by Nobody: 9:59pm On Sep 08, 2017
felixomor:

For those in Christ, everyday has become Sabbath Every minute is Sabbath....
CC doctoralien what do you think?
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by Martinez19(m): 10:03pm On Sep 08, 2017
felixomor:

For those in Christ, everyday has become Sabbath
Every minute is Sabbath....

where is your scriptural backup? Romans 3:31

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by johnydon22(m): 10:03pm On Sep 08, 2017
GoodMuyis:

Are you upset for low response?

Nope just the act of cherrypicking upsets me thus the need for me to create this thread.

what if they are busy somewhere else.

Yeah probably on a thread with full frontal confrontation, and word banters.

The proposition that Law is no longer valid is a "Defensive Mechanism" for some who fail in morality, we are not done with Tue law not yet.
Pauline Christianity: Grace above actions

The Law in its entirety, has subdivision just as DoctorAlien had explained, Moral, Ceremonial, Laws for Nazarite, Priest, Pregnant women and those in period, virgin etc

fair enough

If you look at the and count its about 600 or almost, but then they are not all applicable to everyone. for example am a man but I can't be practising ceremonial law for pregnant women impossible.

All right?

there some law that are SPECIFIC to the Israelite and is not applicable to other e.g. Laws for Passover.

First council of Jerusalem was to debate whether gentile who become Christians are supposed to be circumcised or not. In other words is whether they should be brought under the law or not.

[That is in fact the origin of "the law no longer holds" in christianity]

Severing christiandom from the law was one of the acts that fully divorced the growing christian cult from Judaism. It was at some point just bunch of Judaic adherents who believed Jesus was the messiah and Son of God.

If we continued the breakdown, one will realise that a lot of the law is not applicable to Christian. But those one regarding morality is applicable to all.

Stoning a non-virgin bride clearly hinges on morality.

This is where many Christian are confused.

Probably

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Atheism Is An Act Of Ignorance , True Of False Or ? / The Science Agenda To Exterminate Blacks / Pastor Chris: Love Without Limits

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.