Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,840 members, 7,813,826 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:15 PM

The Fight Against Tribalism By Odumi Anebira: We Can Do The Same Thing - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Fight Against Tribalism By Odumi Anebira: We Can Do The Same Thing (446 Views)

Is Abortion the same thing as Murder ? / Is Accepting Jesus Christ The Same Thing As Being Born Again? / How Adajinege An Ebira Man Fought Against Tribalism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Fight Against Tribalism By Odumi Anebira: We Can Do The Same Thing by 0temAtum: 11:58am On Sep 09, 2017
Who told you that Hausa, Yoruba and Igbo cannot live together in harmony by setting aside tribalism? I personally have my best friend in an Igbo guy. We don't do the tribalistic stuffs. We do the reality. I have two eyes, two hands, two feet, same as those in other tribes. So what's the need for seeing one another as enemies? See what happened to our ancestors. This is about Odumi who changed his own world. We can change ours too.
#SayNoToTribalism

DOCTUFOS: Otem Erectus 151: 1-35

Chapter One Hundred and Fifty-One
1. The children of Ayaki were Odumi, Ure and Ohongoa. Now Ayaki did not marry more than a wife. For he loved Onyeche very well.
2. Now Odumi was a name translated to mean 'my name', for the land where they dwelt was populated with the Igala tribes. And the costum of the land had demanded that the firstborn of anyone must be named in the Igala language.
3. Now Odumi was very good in the wrestling game. And he had won the former champion of the land who was an Igalite. And the homos of the land became jealous, saying, how does an Ebir come into our land to defeat us?
4. And they sought how they would kill Odumi.
5. Now some of the homos came and took Odumi away secretly. And they pushed him into the river called Ofu so that he would die.
6. And Odumi was held under water for ten minutes. And they left him and fled. And Odumi coughed out water all by himself. And he managed his way out of the water.
7. And he went home and became very calm. For some of his friends were among those who buried his head under water.
8. Now when Ayaki saw that his son was not active as he used to, he called him aside and asked him why. And Odumi said, I have seen the light. And my purpose of returning to the earth is not to strive and struggle with those who operate on a lower vision.
9. Now when Ayaki asked him for details further, he said, tribalism can turn a friend to an enemy overnight O father. And to fight against tribalism is the purpose for my return to the earth.
10. And Ayaki said, why do you speak of a return when you did not die in the first place? And Odumi said, I was dead ten hours ago. I was drowned by my friends and my enemies. Ikani was my friend as well as Agude. And they both led my enemies to the place where I was so that they could kill me.
11. And when I drowned, I saw the light. And the light revealed the past and the future to me at once. Now the past which it revealed to me is this: Ikani and Agude were true friends of mine until an elderly woman saw us together.
12. And when I have departed, the woman called them both and said, why do you children relate so closely with an Ebir boy? Do you not know that they are bad people?
13. And they said, we have been with Odumi since childhood and he has never done bad things to us. We know his parents also and they are good people.
14. How do you now accuse these people falsely? And the elderly woman laughed and said, you are very ignorant, young children. Sit down and I will tell you the truth about the Ebirs.
15. When they had sat down, the elderly woman began to tell them tales of the bad things the Ebirites had done to the Igalites. And she kept away the bad things any Igalite had ever done to the Ebirites.
16. And she said, the Ebirites are chameleons. For they shall change their attitudes towards you suddenly and do harm to you. They hate you but they pretend to love you.
17. Now when Ikani and Agude had digested the seed of hatred sown into their minds, they began to take action. And they made friendship with my enemies. And they plotted how they shall get rid of my life.
18. And they said to my enemies, we know where Odumi shall be at this hour of the day. For every time after breakfast, he always go to relax under a mango tree.
19. Now they led them there and took hold of me while I refreshed myself under the mango tree. And I could not wriggle myself off because they were many. And they took me to the Ofu and drowned me there. There I saw the light.
20. Father, here is the future which I saw. Ikani and Agude came to report the matter to you of how I got drowned while I was swimming. And you went with them to the river to look for my dead body but could not find it.
21. And the whole land thought that I had died. And on the day of the wrestling final, I appeared before them and there was confusion.
22. While Odumi was still talking, the door sounded. And Odumi said, father, they have come. And Odumi went to hide while his father went to open the door.
23. And Ikani and Agude entered and shook. And Ayaki asked, where is my son? For I have prepared myself to come to your house to seek him. For I have not seen him since the time I returned from the farm.
24. Now the two of them burst into tears. And they said, we went to swim in the morning and Odumi got drowned. When Ayaki heard it, he burst into tears. And the three of them shed false tears together.
25. Now Ayaki followed them to the river to search for the corpse of his son but did not find any. And he returned to his house. And so Ikani and Agude thought that Odumi was dead. And when they told the elderly woman about it, she was glad.
26. Now the day for the final wrestling game began. And a homo was chosen to represent Odumi whom they thought that he had died. And the homo would fight with one of the enemies of Odumi who drowned him.
27. Now when he who drowned Odumi had fought, he won easily. And while everyone cheered him up, Odumi appeared in front of him and said, I have come from the land of the dead to fight by myself.
28. And when that enemy saw him, he fainted. And Ikani and Agude fled also, because they thought him to be a ghost.
29. And many homos fled also.
30. And Odumi said, return for I was not dead neither am I a ghost. And he explained the thing which had happened to him. And Ikani and Agude accepted what he had said as true. And they said, it was the grandmother of Enefola who spoilt our mind towards our best friend.
31. And Odumi said, she told you that the Ebirites are chameleons, but today you have seen that neither the Ebirites nor the Igalites is a chameleon but you Ikani and Agude who changed from being a friend into being an enemy within a blink of an eye. Is this not the doing of a chameleon?
32. But I do not blame you but I blame the grandmother of the trouble maker and I blame tribalism also. For by telling bad stories of the past shall tribalism be fueled. But by ignoring the past evil tribal stories and dealing with the present homos of the other tribes peacefully shall peace reign.
33. When Odumi had ended his speech, the homos of Ebir and Igala came together in Ofu. And throughout the time of Ayaki and Odumi till the fifth generation, there was no tribalism in that land.
34. For they promoted the stories of Adajinege and those of Oricha and other stories of good relationships between the Ebirites and the Igalites rather than telling the stories of bad relationships.
35. And Odumi and his two friends became closer than before until their death.
Re: The Fight Against Tribalism By Odumi Anebira: We Can Do The Same Thing by Proudlyngwa(m): 12:02pm On Sep 09, 2017
Tribalism is a good thing.
Tribal bigotry is the problem.

Left for me, I will still do away with both Tribalism, language and culture as, I feel they have outlived their usefulness

1 Like

Re: The Fight Against Tribalism By Odumi Anebira: We Can Do The Same Thing by 0temAtum: 8:57pm On Sep 17, 2017
Proudlyngwa:
Tribalism is a good thing.
Tribal bigotry is the problem.

Left for me, I will still do away with both Tribalism, language and culture as, I feel they have outlived their usefulness
You mean you won't speak your dialect?
Re: The Fight Against Tribalism By Odumi Anebira: We Can Do The Same Thing by Proudlyngwa(m): 10:05pm On Sep 17, 2017
0temAtum:
You mean you won't speak your dialect?

Of course, I do speak my dialect,, but outside cultural preservation, what does my dialect have to offer
Re: The Fight Against Tribalism By Odumi Anebira: We Can Do The Same Thing by 0temAtum: 10:09pm On Sep 17, 2017
Proudlyngwa:

Of course, I do speak my dialect,, but outside cultural preservation, what does my dialect have to offer
It's not about what it has to offer. It's about you making it have something to offer. Package your dialect well and sell it out. Don't be surprised when you see foreigners trying to learn your dialect because you make it interesting to them.
Re: The Fight Against Tribalism By Odumi Anebira: We Can Do The Same Thing by Proudlyngwa(m): 10:18pm On Sep 17, 2017
0temAtum:
It's not about what it has to offer. It's about you making it have something to offer. Package your dialect well and sell it out. Don't be surprised when you see foreigners trying to learn your dialect because you make it interesting to them.

No the age of multiple languages, should be coming to an end.

I prefer a universal language, where someone will not be judged by his mother tongue, but by his actw, where language will be learnt for fun and not for affinity.
Re: The Fight Against Tribalism By Odumi Anebira: We Can Do The Same Thing by 0temAtum: 10:21pm On Sep 17, 2017
Proudlyngwa:

No the age of multiple languages, should be coming to an end.

I prefer a universal language, where someone will not be judged by his mother tongue, but by his actw, where language will be learnt for fun and not for affinity.
Well, it's your taste and you may settle for that, but I wish everyone knows how to speak his mother tongue well. A universal language could just be a lingua franca and that's not bad to have as extra.

(1) (Reply)

Our Daily Manna Devotional September 10th 2017 / List The Names Of Churches In Your Street. / Please Answer ,urgent Question ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.