Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,849 members, 7,820,961 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:22 AM

What Does BBC News Have Against Black Presenters? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Does BBC News Have Against Black Presenters? (3830 Views)

Arab Racism Against Black Africans By NAIWU OSAHON / Sahara Reporters And On Line News Have A Share In What Happened In The North / Is Hiv Aids A Biological Weapon Against Black People ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does BBC News Have Against Black Presenters? by redsun(m): 9:25pm On Feb 25, 2010
A few years ago,there use to be some prominent black newscasters and presenters on prime time British Broadcasting Corporation news,presenters like Darren Jordan and Moira Stuart but these days not even a black reporter features on prime time BBC news presentations,except for an entertainment reporter that reports once in a while.

It got me thinking.Is it because black presenters just like black models in fashion world,black actors and actresses in movies don't sell that actually prompted BBC to systematically eliminate all the top of the league black presenters in their corporation?

Just like in the british police,i can smell a strong reign of institutional racism in BBC or could there be any cogent reason why there are no black presenters on BBC news crew?
Re: What Does BBC News Have Against Black Presenters? by Fhemmmy: 9:27pm On Feb 25, 2010
Call BBC and ask them now . . . .I am sure they will respond.

1 Like

Re: What Does BBC News Have Against Black Presenters? by oderemo(m): 9:35pm On Feb 25, 2010
at least westwood is black. oops just joking. grin grin grin grin
Re: What Does BBC News Have Against Black Presenters? by redsun(m): 9:35pm On Feb 25, 2010
Fhemmmy:

Call BBC and ask them now . . . .I am sure they will respond.

I don't really have to do that,but doesn't it really occure to you?Or you probably don't see things that way?

There are more to game than see the ordinary eye,that is why is so  annoyingly appalling that blacks are their own enemies.
Re: What Does BBC News Have Against Black Presenters? by Fhemmmy: 9:36pm On Feb 25, 2010
redsun:

I don't really have to do that,but doesn't it really occure to you?Or you probably don't see things that way?

There are more to game than see the ordinary eye,that is why is so  annoyingly appalling that blacks are their own enemies.

You have said it all yourself, so then, why bother?
Re: What Does BBC News Have Against Black Presenters? by redsun(m): 9:43pm On Feb 25, 2010
Unite Kingdom is suppose to be a developed,civilize,multicutural and equal opportunities for all society,init?
Re: What Does BBC News Have Against Black Presenters? by snowdrops(m): 10:08pm On Feb 25, 2010
My exact thoughts over the years. BBC do have black/ethnic minority presenters but not on prime time, and if they appear its to present the weather.
Sky is even better when it comes to giving BEM community airtime with Lukwesa and the other lady.
In addition the tax-payer owned BBC and other mainstream media tend to focus on negative aspects of the BEM such as terrorism for asians and gangterism, crime and drugs for blacks. It really makes me sick.
There are too many hurdles placed on the climb to the top for black people. They are more often than not frustrated out of the job.
I guess this is the same reason you have an almost all white Police and Political Elite.
Re: What Does BBC News Have Against Black Presenters? by redsun(m): 10:14pm On Feb 25, 2010
And that is exactly what affects young black youths negatively in this country,they hardly see black role models in actions,even in black dominated schools 99 percent of their teachers and teaching assistants are whites.
Re: What Does BBC News Have Against Black Presenters? by snowdrops(m): 10:18pm On Feb 25, 2010
redsun:

And that is exactly what affects young black youths negatively in this country,they hardly see black role models in actions,even in black dominated schools 99 percent of their teachers and teaching assistants are whites.
Exactly. Nevertheless, blacks of carribean origin have not helped matters. They dont take education seriously and indulge in various unsavoury activities. I believe this trend is changing with the second generation African[especially] Nigerian community.
Re: What Does BBC News Have Against Black Presenters? by 4Play(m): 10:19pm On Feb 25, 2010
What percentage of the UK population is black? In an overwhelming white country, you shouldn't expect to see lots of prominent black people.
Re: What Does BBC News Have Against Black Presenters? by redsun(m): 10:30pm On Feb 25, 2010
4 Play:

What percentage of the UK population is black? In an overwhelming white country, you shouldn't expect to see lots of prominent black people.

It is not about lots but about proportional representations in strategic positions in a country that prides herself as a multicultural society and equal opportunities for all,written even on job applications.
Re: What Does BBC News Have Against Black Presenters? by snowdrops(m): 10:51pm On Feb 25, 2010
4 Play:

9% from the 2001 census are Blacks and ethnic minorities. The number has risen from unofficial figures. Yet the percentage of blacks and ethnic minorities on prime time BBC programme is less than 1%.
Re: What Does BBC News Have Against Black Presenters? by DisGuy: 11:03pm On Feb 25, 2010
snowdrops:

9% from the 2001 census are Blacks and ethnic minorities. The number has risen from unofficial figures. Yet the percentage of blacks and ethnic minorities on prime time BBC programme is less than 1%.

and what percentage of those go on to university?
What percentage of those that go into university go for 'presenting' courses

the BBC cant force people on to their screens you know
the BBC has a lot of ethnic minorities behind the cameras, just because we don't see them in front of the camera
we cant conclude they are being racist, it will take a lot of time and investment before they come through!
there's a black international reporter that's usually presenting new 24 and there's a nigerian too
by the time those guys making cameo appearance gather enough experience other companies would snap them up
making it look as if they are more diverse than the beeb
Re: What Does BBC News Have Against Black Presenters? by ezeagu(m): 11:07pm On Feb 25, 2010
Why don't the black people in the UK create their own thing (proper thing) isntead of whining in the ear of a white corporation, or can white people not have their own BET? grin
Re: What Does BBC News Have Against Black Presenters? by DisGuy: 11:10pm On Feb 25, 2010
ezeagu:

Why don't the black people in the UK create their own thing (proper thing) isntead of whining in the ear of a white corporation, or can white people not have their own BET? grin

well they will also complain of not getting enough revenue from white companies and black companies advertising with them always ask for a discount or credit cheesy
Re: What Does BBC News Have Against Black Presenters? by snowdrops(m): 11:19pm On Feb 25, 2010
Dis Guy:

and what percentage of those go on to university?
What percentage of those that go into university go for 'presenting' courses

the BBC cant force people on to their screens you know
the BBC has a lot of ethnic minorities behind the cameras, just because we don't see them in front of the camera
we cant conclude they are being racist, it will take a lot of time and investment before they come through!
there's a black international reporter that's usually presenting new 24 and there's a nigerian too
by the time those guys making cameo appearance gather enough experience other companies would snap them up
making it look as if they are more diverse than the beeb
I think this problem extends beyond the BBC. The BBC is only an example of BEM trying to suceed in government establishments. As i explained above, we have the media in general, police, the mainstream parties, executive positions in the NHS, etc etc.

I agree with you, there are blacks working behind the cameras on the BBC but not as cameramen as you might think but in the canteens serving food and cleaning dishes and as cleaners and security guards. This issue has been put before the BBC on several occasions one i remember clearly on radio 5live drive programme by a former white male BBC presenter who accused the BBC of being racist during an interview with peter Allen.

If you bothered to read my comments above, i pointed out that some of the blame lies with blacks people who had refused to be educated especially amongts the carribean community. However the Asian community is renowned for its keeness on education but we dont see them equally represented on our screen to reflect their percentage in the population.

I am saying this from first hand experience in the UK and talking with top ranking civil servants of black and asian descents about the challenges they and their counterparts have and are facing.

The solution starts with better education for BEM groups. The UK is a class driven society. Most BEM are in the working class cadre. They need a level playing field to get the most of resources for education right to the university level. This issue of institutional racism needs to be addressed head on. We dont need cynicism from people like you or from the right wing media shouting that its playing the race card. It is real and palpable and denying people of opportunities.
Re: What Does BBC News Have Against Black Presenters? by xterra2(m): 12:27am On Feb 26, 2010
Maybe you applied for a job they rejceted the offer you were frustrated and decided to brand them as anti-blacks:
lol grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: What Does BBC News Have Against Black Presenters? by snowdrops(m): 12:37am On Feb 26, 2010
xterra2:

Maybe you applied for a job they rejceted the offer you were frustrated and decided to brand them as anti-blacks:
lol grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Thats so amusing in the world of the paranoid schizophrenics. tongue
Re: What Does BBC News Have Against Black Presenters? by DisGuy: 2:26am On Feb 26, 2010
snowdrops:

I think this problem extends beyond the BBC. The BBC is only an example of BEM trying to suceed in government establishments. As i explained above, we have the media in general, police, the mainstream parties, executive positions in the NHS, etc etc.

I agree with you, there are blacks working behind the cameras on the BBC but not as cameramen as you might think but in the canteens serving food and cleaning dishes and as cleaners and security guards. This issue has been put before the BBC on several occasions one i remember clearly on radio 5live drive programme by a former white male BBC presenter who accused the BBC of being racist during an interview with peter Allen.
And there are many white people doing the same all over the country, they dont specifically hire blacks to do the dirty jobs, there are many ethnic minorities in the BBC working as researchers, writers etc etc, where do you think al jazeera, sky news and some other international broadcasters get some of their staff- tehy are not enough but thats the reality, you cant expect institutions like these to change over some years just like that

If you bothered to read my comments above, i pointed out that some of the blame lies with blacks people who had refused to be educated especially amongts the carribean community. However the Asian community is renowned for its keeness on education but we dont see them equally represented on our screen to reflect their percentage in the population.how i wish we cant get access to their records to compare it to national population figures- i remember one senior executive saying the bbc and other stations are going overboard trying too hard to 'represent'

I am saying this from first hand experience in the UK and talking with top ranking civil servants of black and asian descents about the challenges they and their counterparts have and are facing.in the bbc or in UK in general? we all know where we stand in the country and no one expect things to change overnight, the system is more rigid than USA and changes will certainly not happen overnight not especially with thousands of black teenagers foregoing higher education

The solution starts with better education for BEM groups. The UK is a class driven society. Most BEM are in the working class cadre. They need a level playing field to get the most of resources for education right to the university level. This issue of institutional racism needs to be addressed head on. We dont need cynicism from people like you or from the right wing media shouting that its playing the race card. It is real and palpable and denying people of opportunities.
I agree, but i really don't see the government making laws specifically targeting BEM, best they will do is offer more money accessible to EVERYONE and we know what some segment of the BEM do with it , Nike, adiddas, gold tooth, another little addition to the 'family' etc etc
Re: What Does BBC News Have Against Black Presenters? by MCLOVIN: 9:15am On Feb 26, 2010
Thank God for Aljazeera. . .
Re: What Does BBC News Have Against Black Presenters? by Nobody: 9:24am On Feb 26, 2010
@ OP
Now we have identified the problem can you just give us the solution so we move on to better things.

(1) (Reply)

List Of Corrupt Nigerian Politicians And Govt Officials / Wikileaks Names Atiku,late Yar'adua As Top Oil Thefts / Ferma Has A New Management

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.