Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,860 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:26 PM

Fear Of Accident In My Children - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Fear Of Accident In My Children (1305 Views)

Nigerians Watched An Abandoned Baby Cry Herself To Death Becos Of Fear Of Police / A Call To Change "My Children Will Not Suffer What I Suffered" Syndrome / St Nicholas Hospital Lagos In Search Of Accident Victim’s Relative - Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fear Of Accident In My Children by adeg(m): 8:35am On Feb 15, 2007
I nearly had an auto-accident with my four children and Mum about a year ago. Since then the children always glue their eyes on the speedometer and start being fearful if it is above 50 kilometers per hour. I hardly exceed 100 km/h.

Please advise how do I eliminate/reduce their fear and reassure them
Re: Fear Of Accident In My Children by Ndipe(m): 8:41am On Feb 15, 2007
Pray before you leave home.
Re: Fear Of Accident In My Children by cuteass1(f): 5:03pm On Feb 15, 2007
That's sad. If your family is a religious one, then resolve to prayers, try to make them understand that an accident could happen to them no matter where they are, even at home. Make them understand that their lives are in God's hands and he'll surely continue to protect them just like he did the other time. Make them talk about their fears because that's the only way you can help them. You can also try children's therapy which might help as well. Don't worry, time is what they need to heal, it shall be well smiley
Re: Fear Of Accident In My Children by Seun(m): 10:11pm On Feb 15, 2007
Aww. Maybe they would feel more secure if they wear seatbelts and know that the car has airbags?
Re: Fear Of Accident In My Children by Badman888(m): 4:01pm On Feb 16, 2007
I know what they are going tru, the same thing happend to me when i was about 7 years old we were traveling then, and now involved in a car accident luckily no serious injury, i always enjoyed being in a fast car, but after that day i had to be forced to enter a car again. if the car goes too fast or trying to overtake i always have this fear in me and shout that they should slow down. It took me some years to recover from this. put still remember it all the time.

The best thing is just not drive too fast and drive safe am sure with time they would overcome the fear.
Re: Fear Of Accident In My Children by adeg(m): 4:41pm On Feb 16, 2007
Thanks Badman888. (funny sn lol, )

I am sure with time they should get over it. But I always feel guilty whenever they start fretting on speeding, and it's already a year ago!

@Ndipe & Cute-ass
Yes, we pray, but children,

Thanks all.
Re: Fear Of Accident In My Children by Seun(m): 8:53pm On Feb 16, 2007
But I always feel guilty whenever they start fretting on speeding,
What part of "don't speed" don't you understand? Of course, you need to feel guilty if you do overspeed! Is it by force to drive fast when they're in the car? Is there any demon of haste haunting you?

Before "thanking" Badman88, you need to first read what he wrote:
The best thing is just not drive too fast and drive safe
am sure with time they would overcome the fear.
(1) Don't drive to fast. (2) Drive safe (3) If 1 and 2 are followed, then they might overcome the fear with time.

Was I too harsh? Sorry about that. Seatbelts, airbags, attentive driving, slow driving, time = success, maybe. wink
Re: Fear Of Accident In My Children by adeg(m): 9:16am On Feb 19, 2007
@Seun
adeg:

, I hardly exceed 100 km/h.
Is that overspeeding on a highway
Re: Fear Of Accident In My Children by Seun(m): 2:42pm On Feb 19, 2007
If your children are not confortable with a particular speed, then it is over-speeding. wink
Re: Fear Of Accident In My Children by adeg(m): 3:08pm On Feb 19, 2007
@ Seun
smiley lol to the edits, though you didn't edit yours.
Re: Fear Of Accident In My Children by Seun(m): 6:59pm On Feb 19, 2007
Yeah. But "feeling guilty" is not enough; you need to stop doing what you're doing that is causing that guilt.
Re: Fear Of Accident In My Children by adeg(m): 11:21am On Feb 20, 2007
Seun:

If your children are not confortable with a particular speed, then it is over-speeding. wink
I guess I should move max 50 km/h on the highway based on your reasoning.

That would rather create more problem than solving what I face!!

What about travelling in a commercial vehicle with them in batches and watch their reactions? That just occured to me now.
Re: Fear Of Accident In My Children by Seun(m): 8:52am On Apr 05, 2007
You can make a deal with them and promise not to exceed 60km/hr.
After a month, increase it to 70km/h and stay there. To make them feel safe, make sure they use seat belts.
Personally, I think their concerns about your driving are not entirely in their minds. Please, be careful!
Re: Fear Of Accident In My Children by kobe(m): 8:55am On Apr 05, 2007
speed/no speed, accidents can and will happen anytime.
this thread almost brought me to tears.
Re: Fear Of Accident In My Children by ultrafem(f): 8:24pm On Apr 05, 2007
thank God you are all ok, try to reassure them, keep ur speed down, and try to use your seat belts, with time they will be fine.
Re: Fear Of Accident In My Children by spoilt(f): 8:29pm On Apr 05, 2007
i understand your fears. i have been in 2 accidents and both times i was driving . the first accident landed 2 men in hospital. i was without a scratch but i was traumatized to the point of hysteria. its hard to describe but when i drive now i have anxiety issues. i have panic attacks. i have overtaking anxiety, i have merging anxiety. just name it, i have it.

it will take a while for your children to get over it. but the only way you can reassure them is to be extra extra careful. even if it means you have to crawl to your destination.  grin . put on some music. try to distract them with other stuff. dont know if you are big on theraphy but that might help. you have to pray too. and take it one kilometer at a time. Good luck.  cheesy
Re: Fear Of Accident In My Children by adeg(m): 10:10am On Apr 10, 2007
@ All

Thanks all.

Just when I thought time the great healer had perfected its job, my first son looked at the speedometer just yesterday and said, "Dad that's on eighty!" I pretended that I didn't hear at first, but immediately had to explain and try to reassure him again all over.
With time. smiley

@Spoilt
grin You are really in for it! We all have to be very careful behind the wheels.
Well, will try crawling smiley
Re: Fear Of Accident In My Children by titilayomi(f): 3:47pm On Jun 05, 2007
Seun:

I'm so much in support of the above, especially when you're trying to win their trust back. I personally don't mind driving fast, mayb cuz i'm used to it as my dad was and is still a very fast driver but a very careful one too. But the very first day my fiance drove with me in the car on top speed, we had an accident, i lost my trust in his driving, i scream even when he is on 80km/hr on a high way, this is just natural. Overtime and due to realising i really hv to overcome this fear as it was begining to make us fight more often than not, i overcame the fear, by putting My trust in God, but kids might find it harder to deal with.

So you have to build the trust back gradually, not by ignoring ur kid telling u, u're on 80km/hr, tht will only make them more scared.
Re: Fear Of Accident In My Children by adeg(m): 7:07pm On Jun 05, 2007
@All

Went on a major journey of about 400 km about 2 weeks ago and there weren't too many challenges. Guess they had all been expecting the journey for long.
If it is the great healer that has done its job, then I am really relieved. BIG TIME.

But I did something though: I never exceeded 100km/h and we all really enjoyed the trip.

I am so relieved

Thanks all.
Re: Fear Of Accident In My Children by titilayomi(f): 11:36pm On Jun 05, 2007
i'm happy for you, keep it up. They'll soon outgrow it entirely, just rem to always keep the speedo at check. Reduce when u feel they're scared.
Re: Fear Of Accident In My Children by IGabriel(m): 9:29am On Jun 06, 2007
dear, u need to understand, fear is no just a response to external ocurance, it's a spirit.
But the bible says,'God has not given us the SPIRIT OF FEAR, but of power love and of a sound mind.(2nd Timothy1;7) u see that, it's a spirit thing.The word of God is the only thing that can drive away fear from the human heart.I will send some more thoughts about this via ur e mail. thank u.

(1) (Reply)

Would You Let Your Ageing Parents Live With You? / Travelling To Nigeria And Not Going To Ur Husbands Village / Kid Out Of Wedlock Or Abortion?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.