Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,248 members, 7,860,573 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 12:52 PM

Simple Step To Industralizing Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Simple Step To Industralizing Nigeria (702 Views)

China Takes Major Step To Ban Islam / What To Do When A TANoid Posts His Lies-Simple Step / Newly Created Ministry Of Niger Delta A Secret Step To Scrap NDDC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Simple Step To Industralizing Nigeria by akinolasam: 2:52pm On Feb 26, 2010
IT GET ME BOTHERED SOMETIMES WHEN I HEAR HOW MUCH OF THE TAX PAYERS MONEY THE 'MEN' IN AUTHOURITY WASTED EACH YEAR TRYING TO INDUSTRALIZE THIS COUNTRY. IN MY HUMBLE I WANT TO POST HERE WHAT I CONSIDER THE SIMPLEST MOVE IF SOMEONE CAN PLEASE HELP TELL THEM AT THE TOP:

1. GET THE BEST OF OUR UNIVERSITY GRADUATES TO GO OUT AND SPEND THEIR OWN NYSC PERIOD IN INTERNATIONAL FIELD WHERE THEY CAN ACQUIRE PRACTICAL TRAINING IN THEIR AREA OF DISCIPLINE.

2. TO GET QUALIFY DEPENDS MAINLY ON THE OVERALL RESULT OF THE GRADUATE.

3. WITH THE FEDERAL GOVT PROVIDING THE SUPPORT WHEN GOING, THE BENEFICIARIES MUST BE MADE TO UNDERSTAND THAT ON RETURN TO THIS COUNTRY THEY ARE NOT TO LOOK FOR JOBS BUT TO CREATE JOBS.

4. THE RESPONSIBILITY OF STARTING OFF ON THEIR RETURN MUST BE 50% SPONSORED BY FG, 30% BY THE STATE GOVT, AND 20% LOCAL GOVT WHERE SUCH PERSON DECIDES TO SET UP HIS/HER BASE.

5. THIS COULD BE A NATIONAL PROJECT FOR THE NEXT 8 TO 10 YEARS.

IF NIGERIA WILL EVER JOIN THE LEAGUE OF NATIONS PRODUCING ANYTHING OR AT LEAST BECOME SELF RELIANCE, THEN THE GOVT BETTER LOOKING INTO CREATING A SOLID FUTURE IN THE UP COMING YOUTH AND NOT RECYCLING THE CORRUPT MINDS WHOSE ONLY GLORY IS ON HOW TO GRAB MORE.

I REST MY 'CASE'
Re: Simple Step To Industralizing Nigeria by oderemo(m): 3:00pm On Feb 26, 2010
I REST MY 'CASE'
better.
until the philosophy that hold one man superior to another
until the politics is aligned in favour of one man one vote
until the political structure is straightened out.
then you can talk of moving frwd.
every thing hinges on our politics.
get it right ,then we are on a winner.
Re: Simple Step To Industralizing Nigeria by RichyBlacK(m): 3:07pm On Feb 26, 2010
@OP,

Great suggestions, however, from what I know about that country called Nigeria, none of your suggestions will be implemented to the spirit.

Until we address the fundamental structure of Nigeria's polity in all sincerity and honesty, the match to nothingness remains our path.
Re: Simple Step To Industralizing Nigeria by Veritas09: 3:15pm On Feb 26, 2010
You've gone a few too many steps ahead.

Electoral reform first. End corruption. Then discuss development.
Re: Simple Step To Industralizing Nigeria by Fhemmmy: 3:17pm On Feb 26, 2010
So go out of Nigeria to do something and you think they will come back to Nigeria?
They come back to Nigeria and create a job and who will fund the project of creating a job?
No electricity - They will have to create a job using generator and u have an idea how much would cost to run such company?
No Security
No good roads - How long would it take to deliver goods to buyers
No Stability - With one unrest, all they have worked for could be destroyed and who will take care of all that.

I think there is a lot that has to be done before all those u listed could happen.
Re: Simple Step To Industralizing Nigeria by Fhemmmy: 3:17pm On Feb 26, 2010
Veritas09:

You've gone a few too many steps ahead.

Electoral reform first. End corruption. Then discuss development.

True that, however, let us be real, corruption cant end in Nigeria, but at least reduce it to the bearest minimum
Re: Simple Step To Industralizing Nigeria by Veritas09: 3:20pm On Feb 26, 2010
Speaking as someone out in diaspora, I have no doubt that Nigerians abroad would be open to creating new employment opportunities here -- but the lack of infrastructure within the country -- the very same that discourages foreign investment -- more or less guarantees that such an effort would be pointless.

These steps are hardly "Simple".
Re: Simple Step To Industralizing Nigeria by Fhemmmy: 3:23pm On Feb 26, 2010
Veritas09:

Speaking as someone out in diaspora, I have no doubt that Nigerians abroad would be open to creating new employment opportunities here -- but the lack of infrastructure within the country -- the very same that discourages foreign investment -- all but guarantees that such an effort would be pointless.

These steps are hardly "Simple".

Very true . . . .Imagine how many companies that are leaving Nigeria and setting up in Ghana.
Imagine if Nigeria has all it takes to be industrialized, India will have nothing on Nigeria, cos foreign nations will move to Nigeria in masses.
1. We speak english and well too.
2. We smart people
3. Our money is not that strong, so foreign coys will make good money
But who in their right mind will wanna move there with all the nonsense and lack of good things that are needed to survive.
Re: Simple Step To Industralizing Nigeria by akinolasam: 11:26pm On Feb 26, 2010
ACTUALLY,I WAS THINKING THAT THIS OUR GENERATION (30 - 50 YEARS) COULD WITNESS A LITTLE OUT OF THE EXPECTED BETTER NAIJA' OR WILL IT JUST BE A SONG NEVER LEARNT?
Re: Simple Step To Industralizing Nigeria by Veritas09: 11:31pm On Feb 26, 2010
akinolasam:

ACTUALLY,I WAS THINKING THAT THIS OUR GENERATION (30 - 50 YEARS) COULD WITNESS A LITTLE OUT OF THE EXPECTED BETTER NAIJA' OR WILL IT JUST BE A SONG NEVER LEARNT?

And I was thinking that my generation (20-30 years) could help build that future, but shouldn't we start with better hospitals first?
Re: Simple Step To Industralizing Nigeria by Eddeux(m): 3:21am On Feb 27, 2010
Corruption needs to be toned-down, but who ever said Nigeria couldn't industrialize w/ the huge amount of corruption already present? Indonesia, if I am correct, is what I consider a 'nigeria of the east'. It has a diverse population, had corrupt officials, lack of infrastructure (EU just now last yr. allowed Indonesian airliners to fly in & out of EU air space), and basically a lot of the problems Nigeria has. Yet despire the corruption the nation still moved forward. If you get what im trying to say.

The only way for Nigeria to become the China of Africa is IF your govt encourages FDI & takes the initiatives to improve your power supply & infrastructure. Last time I checked in order for Nigeria to break into the G20 it would need over $300 billion in investments in infrastructure during this decade. WHAT A HUGE OPPURTUNITY FOR AMERICAN COMPANIES.  I specifically say American b/c my country is the largest foreign investor in Nigeria at the moment, it just seems that most of that investment is in oil (Chevron). Imagine how fast Nigeria could develop if your govt allowed the private sector to control fields such as energy (it could pay off like the telecome industry!). I mean the economy is already roaring at above 6%, with more power it could get into the double digits (and really sustaining around 11% growth is the only way for Nigeria to accomplish the 2020 vision).  I was reading the news the other day and apparantly Jonathan is asking for the help of foreign companies to increase power supply in Nigeria (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704337004575059513069700470.html ). BASICALLY, IF YOU NIGERIANS HAVE GOTTEN THE MESSAGE I'VE BEEN TRYING TO CONVEY, FOREIGNERS ARE EAGERLY WILLING TO INVEST IN YOUR COUNTRY, AND EVEN SOME AMERICAN B-SCHOOLS ARE REACHING OUT INTO AFRICA FOR FUTURE STUDENTS, BUT OF COURSE THRE ARE STILL HURDLES TO GET PAST. But once they're clear then the sky is the limit for development! But beware, American corporations are known for abusing their foreign workers and paying very little.   cheesy
Re: Simple Step To Industralizing Nigeria by kcjazz(m): 7:30am On Feb 27, 2010
akinolasam:

IT GET ME BOTHERED SOMETIMES WHEN I HEAR HOW MUCH OF THE TAX PAYERS MONEY THE 'MEN' IN AUTHOURITY WASTED EACH YEAR TRYING TO INDUSTRALIZE THIS COUNTRY. IN MY HUMBLE I WANT TO POST HERE WHAT I CONSIDER THE SIMPLEST MOVE IF SOMEONE CAN PLEASE HELP TELL THEM AT THE TOP:

1. GET THE BEST OF OUR UNIVERSITY GRADUATES TO GO OUT AND SPEND THEIR OWN NYSC PERIOD IN INTERNATIONAL FIELD WHERE THEY CAN ACQUIRE PRACTICAL TRAINING IN THEIR AREA OF DISCIPLINE.

2. TO GET QUALIFY DEPENDS MAINLY ON THE OVERALL RESULT OF THE GRADUATE.

3. WITH THE FEDERAL GOVT PROVIDING THE SUPPORT WHEN GOING, THE BENEFICIARIES MUST BE MADE TO UNDERSTAND THAT ON RETURN TO THIS COUNTRY THEY ARE NOT TO LOOK FOR JOBS BUT TO CREATE JOBS.

4. THE RESPONSIBILITY OF STARTING OFF ON THEIR RETURN MUST BE 50% SPONSORED BY FG, 30% BY THE STATE GOVT, AND 20% LOCAL GOVT WHERE SUCH PERSON DECIDES TO SET UP HIS/HER BASE.

5. THIS COULD BE A NATIONAL PROJECT FOR THE NEXT 8 TO 10 YEARS.

IF NIGERIA WILL EVER JOIN THE LEAGUE OF NATIONS PRODUCING ANYTHING OR AT LEAST BECOME SELF RELIANCE, THEN THE GOVT BETTER LOOKING INTO CREATING A SOLID FUTURE IN THE UP COMING YOUTH AND NOT RECYCLING THE CORRUPT MINDS WHOSE ONLY GLORY IS ON HOW TO GRAB MORE.

I REST MY 'CASE'

And you think this will bring industrialization?

How workable is sending our youths to another country and have them agree to come back?
What we need is improve our power problem, social capital as well as adopt a new national policy for education.
Most of all we need a visionary leader.
Re: Simple Step To Industralizing Nigeria by Afam(m): 7:54am On Feb 27, 2010
Fhemmmy:

Very true . . . .Imagine how many companies that are leaving Nigeria and setting up in Ghana.
Imagine if Nigeria has all it takes to be industrialized, India will have nothing on Nigeria, cos foreign nations will move to Nigeria in masses.
1. We speak english and well too.
2. We smart people
3. Our money is not that strong, so foreign coys will make good money
But who in their right mind will wanna move there with all the nonsense and lack of good things that are needed to survive.

Honestly, the reason for businesses relocating to Ghana based on electricity is nonsense because there cheaper alternatives to the generators they depended upon as the sole alternative to steady power supply.

People, businesses and countries want to do business in Nigeria and yet those that are here are leaving for Ghana because of power supply.

Considering the fact that I cannot work without electricity and this is the 6th year I have run my office without a generator just relying on the inverter I built then any excuse hinged on lack of power is either as a result of shortsightedness or ignorance.

Most of these companies that complain see nothing wrong in spending on generators and diesel what they could spend on alternative source of energy in say 10 years in just 1 or 2 years. And that is because a lot of us claim to be experts even on issues we don't understand.
Re: Simple Step To Industralizing Nigeria by SapeleGuy: 11:36am On Feb 27, 2010
Afam - How much would a system equivalent to a 5 or 10kva gen cost? and what steps have you taken against fire proofing? Many thanks.
Re: Simple Step To Industralizing Nigeria by tonylegend: 6:40pm On Feb 28, 2010
what we need is to reconstruct the reasoning's of the position leaders,industrialization is not the first step to invest because we cant handle it when we lack the steps to it.emulation from the other develop and undeveloped countries is what we need.now may i know in what level is Nigeria,develop or undeveloped?.we have to know our stand before we know where to start the industrialization process.use what we have to get what we need that is the first industrialization to our self so that the investors will start from where we are.people in the country are slaves in what they have,while finner do what we have and suppose to do ,is inhuman.
Re: Simple Step To Industralizing Nigeria by riversman: 7:20pm On Feb 28, 2010
@poster - how can you base eligibiliity on the Results of the graduates, thats very unfair and the problem plaguing naija right now, NOt every1's result is a summary of thier abilities,

Most naija lecturers are on strike 40% of the time and the kids go thru desperated means just to pass the class and not understand the subject matter, For example, two naija boys that came from Ife, they were in my masters program, my Advisor waS impressed with thier coursework and results but unfortunately when he interviewed them, it was obvious they did not know squat about what was in thier transcript, Who is to blame? Naija Universities or the student or the lecturer, not an easy answer

(1) (Reply)

Should The Federal Allocation To States Be Stopped To Encourage Productivity? / Letter To Obama On General Babangida And Nigerian Elections In 2011 / President Umaru Musa Yar’adua : Why Obasanjo Forced Him On Nigeria, By

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.