Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,717 members, 7,816,954 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:04 PM

See Why The United Nations Will Not Interfere in this IPOB issue - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / See Why The United Nations Will Not Interfere in this IPOB issue (3425 Views)

Yabagi Sani: South-East Leaders Treating IPOB Issue With Kid Gloves / We’ll Not Interfere In Your Election, Britain Tells Nigeria / Police Tells Saraki Not To Interfere In Investigation Of Gang Of Hired Assassins (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

See Why The United Nations Will Not Interfere in this IPOB issue by NASTYNASOSO: 11:57pm On Sep 13, 2017
You can't send police officers to quench a quasi-military camp, which is maintained by Nnamdi Kanu, who has aggressively vowed to tear apart a sovereign nation, Nigeria. Kanu made a serious mistake by parading a ragtag army; especially when you have a former General as the president, that was disrespectful.

I lived in Nigeria for more than two decades, Nigerian soldiers don't like to be disrespected; in fact, from working with soldiers in the United States (Michigan National Guard, Joint Forces Headquarters), I can tell you that, generally, soldiers don't like to be disrespected.

If someone, a civilian for that matter, maintains and parades militants (wearing a military uniform), he should not expect the government to roll in with police officers and patrol vans; he should reasonably expect army tanks.

Pursuant to the 1949 Geneva Conventions Article 3, your status changes once you start wearing an army uniform, for you have become an enemy combatant: A recognized army (the Nigerian Army, in this case) can use force to neutralize you and your fellow militants.

Let’s gaze into history here: When the 1791 "Whiskey Rebellion" happened in the United States, spearheaded by some civilians, President George Washington did not send in police officers, he brought in military tanks to quench the rebellion.

In the United States, when violence escalates, a governor, pursuant to Title 32 of the United States Code, can summon the army and their tanks to the street (didn’t you watch CNN at the height of the “Black Lives Matter movement;” didn’t you see numerous armoured personnel carrier (APC) on the street)?

Let's stop pretentiously invoking the violation of the rule of law, especially if you don't understand the rule of law and the rule of engagement. A military incursion, or rolling of tanks, into a street, in order to clear the illusion of outlaws, like Nnamdi and his cohorts, is not a violation of the rule of law, but an enforcement of the rule of law.

If Kanu is scared of a small deployment of soldiers, will he chicken out when battalions are deployed? To his supporters, we told you this: secession is not won on Facebook. Continue arguing about the violation of the rule. Listen, when hostility begins, the rule of law is suspended or amended. I hope we won't get there. Start listening.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: See Why The United Nations Will Not Interfere in this IPOB issue by darnley16(m): 12:02am On Sep 14, 2017
in Felas voice #IsorryForNigeria

1 Like

Re: See Why The United Nations Will Not Interfere in this IPOB issue by geraldmezi(m): 12:07am On Sep 14, 2017
Is this not an opinion
Re: See Why The United Nations Will Not Interfere in this IPOB issue by nkowaputa(m): 12:10am On Sep 14, 2017
NASTYNASOSO:

You can't send police officers to quench a quasi-military camp, which is maintained by Nnamdi Kanu, who has aggressively vowed to tear apart a sovereign nation, Nigeria. Kanu made a serious mistake by parading a ragtag army; especially when you have a former General as the president, that was disrespectful.

I lived in Nigeria for more than two decades, Nigerian soldiers don't like to be disrespected; in fact, from working with soldiers in the United States (Michigan National Guard, Joint Forces Headquarters), I can tell you that, generally, soldiers don't like to be disrespected.

If someone, a civilian for that matter, maintains and parades militants (wearing a military uniform), he should not expect the government to roll in with police officers and patrol vans; he should reasonably expect army tanks.

Pursuant to the 1949 Geneva Conventions Article 3, your status changes once you start wearing an army uniform, for you have become an enemy combatant: A recognized army (the Nigerian Army, in this case) can use force to neutralize you and your fellow militants.

Let’s gaze into history here: When the 1791 "Whiskey Rebellion" happened in the United States, spearheaded by some civilians, President George Washington did not send in police officers, he brought in military tanks to quench the rebellion.

In the United States, when violence escalates, a governor, pursuant to Title 32 of the United States Code, can summon the army and their tanks to the street (didn’t you watch CNN at the height of the “Black Lives Matter movement;” didn’t you see numerous armoured personnel carrier (APC) on the street)?

Let's stop pretentiously invoking the violation of the rule of law, especially if you don't understand the rule of law and the rule of engagement. A military incursion, or rolling of tanks, into a street, in order to clear the illusion of outlaws, like Nnamdi and his cohorts, is not a violation of the rule of law, but an enforcement of the rule of law.

If Kanu is scared of a small deployment of soldiers, will he chicken out when battalions are deployed? To his supporters, we told you this: secession is not won on Facebook. Continue arguing about the violation of the rule. Listen, when hostility begins, the rule of law is suspended or amended. I hope we won't get there. Start listening.

Thanks for this. Pls show us where NK and his army wore military uniform.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: See Why The United Nations Will Not Interfere in this IPOB issue by TonyeBarcanista(m): 12:27am On Sep 14, 2017
It is never too late for Nnamdi Kanu to retrace his step.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: See Why The United Nations Will Not Interfere in this IPOB issue by abimbolayekeen: 12:34am On Sep 14, 2017
Government is superior over everybody . So , kanu and his cohorts should give peace a chance .

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: See Why The United Nations Will Not Interfere in this IPOB issue by cursedAbiola(f): 12:48am On Sep 14, 2017
[s]
abimbolayekeen:
Government is superior over everybody . So , kanu and his cohorts should give peace a chance .
[/s]
there can never be one Nigeria

Nigeria is gone and lost

only a bastard fool will be repeating the same thing and be expecting different results.

no siting president will allow this country to be restructured forget the gimmicks and political promises

in Nigeria you make your voice heard by making it loud

ND is enjoying their derivations today was because of the noise they made in which they lost people.
that's how things works on Nigeria
there's nothing like due proccess
if don't know that by now it means you're just an hypocrite

note: am in not and never support violently against innocent standby but trust me the whole issue is being hyped by government who seek to blackmail the struggle

that's their mode of operation since Niger Delta agitation (real agitation by boro and saro wiwa)

6 Likes

Re: See Why The United Nations Will Not Interfere in this IPOB issue by cursedAbiola(f): 1:00am On Sep 14, 2017
this government is a propaganda government

hisbah police is running a constitution outside Nigeria constitution and citizens are being judged and sentenced by the constitution (outside Nigerian constitution) is that not a parallel government?
yet Nigeria is not practicing state police (note they're police with different laws not vigilante)

between BSS and hisbah police who's committing treason?

be the judge stop hiding the truth to sound politically correct.

kiss the truth

cc
TonyeBarcanista

7 Likes

Re: See Why The United Nations Will Not Interfere in this IPOB issue by an0daGuy: 3:22am On Sep 14, 2017
NASTYNASOSO:

chai! op, you really made sense with this ya post

i remember reading about that time the civil war started, Gowon told the world that he would squash the biafran rebels under a few days tops, but in the end Gowon fought them for 3 years straight and the worst thing is that for Gowon to win he resorted to starving the innocent biafran women and children to death for the biafran rebel soldiers to be forced to surrender.

that one na over 50 years ago oh, so if buhari decide to start him own war now wey biafran rebels don plenty finish like dis ehn . . . be like say na 10 years this second civil war go last before e finish. the worst thing be say the country go still divide no matter who win this next war. and no forget say everybody go dey involved this time even you and me (or our families)

1 Like

Re: See Why The United Nations Will Not Interfere in this IPOB issue by laudate: 3:39am On Sep 14, 2017
NASTYNASOSO:

Thanks for your post. sad Even though I agree with most of the points you raised, I however disagree with your interpretation of Article 3 of the 1949 Geneva Convention. Article 3 merely compels both sides in an armed conflict (which is not an international one) to observe basic humanitarian laws. It talks about how both parties to a conflict, should ensure that non-combatants (and even ex-combatants) are treated in a humane manner. undecided Some scholars have however argued that Article 3 has a lot of limitations:

In fact, the common article 3 does not deny state’s right to take action against armed rebellion. In the view of Tom Farer, the following acts may be interpreted, as not amounting to violation of article 3:

(i) Although torture is prohibited, nothing in article 3 prevents the rebellions being hung for treason.
(ii) Civilians who inhabit areas where insurgents are active, are also subject to forms of detention normally garbed in euphemistic vestments, such as “relocation centers” or “fortified hamlets”, with respect to which article 3 contains no specific safeguards.

(iii) Civilians may also be compelled by the rebellions to serve in effect as slave labourers, and subjected to the process of conflict.

(iv) There is no reference in the Convention prohibiting the requisition / destruction of food and other essential goods, with a view to prevent them from falling into the hands of other party. http://www.commonlii.org/in/journals/ISILYBIHRL/2001/11.html

I believe Rule 6 of International humanitarian law in conjunction with Article 51(3) of Additional Protocol I to the Geneva Conventions of 1949, (i.e. Protection of Victims of International Armed Conflicts (Protocol I), 8 June 1977) is more in consonance with the thoughts you wanted to express. Rule 6 states that 'Civilians are protected against attack, unless and for such time as they take a direct part in hostilities.' There are some other rules and protocols that also address this aspect.

Pursuant to Article 13(3) of Additional Protocol II, civilians are immune from direct attack “unless and for such time as they take a direct part in hostilities”. In addition, this rule is set forth in other instruments pertaining also to non-international armed conflicts.

The rule that civilians are not protected against attack when they take a direct part in hostilities, is included in many military manuals which are applicable in (or have been applied in) non-international armed conflicts.

In the case concerning the events at La Tablada in Argentina, the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights held that civilians who directly take part in fighting, whether singly or as members of a group, thereby become legitimate military targets but only for such time as they actively participate in combat. https://ihl-databases.icrc.org/customary-ihl/eng/docs/v1_rul_rule6

However, every other thing you said was spot on! cheesy cool

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: See Why The United Nations Will Not Interfere in this IPOB issue by Nobody: 4:00am On Sep 14, 2017
cursedAbiola:
[s][/s]
there can never be one Nigeria

Nigeria is gone and lost

only a bastard fool will be repeating the same thing and be expecting different results.

no siting president will allow this country to be restructured forget the gimmicks and political promises

in Nigeria you make your voice heard by making it loud

ND is enjoying their derivations today was because of the noise they made in which they lost people.
that's how things works on Nigeria
there's nothing like due proccess
if don't know that by now it means you're just an hypocrite

note: am in not and never support violently against innocent standby but trust me the whole issue is being hyped by government who seek to blackmail the struggle

that's their mode of operation since Niger Delta agitation (real agitation by boro and saro wiwa)
Oga bloodykiller please cry me a river and be prepared to dance with pythonsgrin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: See Why The United Nations Will Not Interfere in this IPOB issue by crackerspub: 4:17am On Sep 14, 2017
[s]
NASTYNASOSO:

[/s]

All the things you said are thrash

1. First learn what the word army means

ar·my
ˈärmē/Submit
noun
an organized military force equipped for fighting on land.
"the two armies were in position"

Are those men armed?

2. learn what secessionist means

se·ces·sion·ist
səˈseSH(ə)nəst/Submit
noun
a person who favors formal withdrawal from membership of a federation or body, especially a political state.
"an ardent secessionist"
adjective
favoring formal withdrawal from membership of a federation or body, especially a political state.
"the leader of a secessionist movement"

Its not a crime what they are doing.

3. You were so fast to call USA, let me ask you do you know that California and Texas wants an independent country, how many times have you seen the US government sending troops to those areas.

What the Nigerian government is doing is 19th centuary barbaric thinking which will backfire against them.

5 Likes

Re: See Why The United Nations Will Not Interfere in this IPOB issue by kettykin: 4:23am On Sep 14, 2017
I hope ipob does not resort to guerilla warfare tactics and we start witnessing missing soldiers without any traces , I just pray for Peace to reign . sometimes it is difficult to find out if what is happening is because of the ipob and nnamdi KANU breaking the laws of the country or is it as a result of poor military strategies of the Nigerian military to declare operation Python dance

3 Likes

Re: See Why The United Nations Will Not Interfere in this IPOB issue by laudate: 4:24am On Sep 14, 2017
crackerspub:
All the things you said are thrash

1. First learn what the word army means

ar·my
ˈärmē/Submit
noun
an organized military force equipped for fighting on land.
"the two armies were in position"

Are those men armed?

2. learn what secessionist means

se·ces·sion·ist
səˈseSH(ə)nəst/Submit
noun
a person who favors formal withdrawal from membership of a federation or body, especially a political state.
"an ardent secessionist"
adjective
favoring formal withdrawal from membership of a federation or body, especially a political state.
"the leader of a secessionist movement"

Its not a crime what they are doing.

3. You were so fast to call USA, let me ask you do you know that California and Texas wants an independent country, how many times have you seen the US government sending troops to those areas.

What the Nigerian government is doing is 19th centuary barbaric thinking which will backfire against them.

Did you even take time out to read and understand what he wrote up there? From his findings, any civilian that fights against the army or attacks it, is treated as a combatant and punished as one! Civilians lose their right to protection once they engage the army, in a fight. Please read up the Geneva Conventions and the International Law of Armed Conflict including the additional protocols. If you throw stones, bottles or harmful objects at the army, it can be interpreted as an attack. undecided

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: See Why The United Nations Will Not Interfere in this IPOB issue by asorocker: 4:33am On Sep 14, 2017
The funny thing is that people do not want the UN to intervene but they want US to supply weapons , fighter planes, helicopter gunships to fight unarmed ipob.

During the civil war the same people wishing UN don't intervene were getting Soviet union , Britain , Egypt, Sudan, chad , Cameroon to join them in the so called civil war which was actually a semi world vs Biafra

1 Like

Re: See Why The United Nations Will Not Interfere in this IPOB issue by crackerspub: 4:36am On Sep 14, 2017
laudate:

Did you even take time out to read and understand what he wrote up there? From his findings, any civilian that fights against the army or attacks it, is treated as a combatant and punished as one! Civilians lose their right to protection once they engage the army, in a fight. Please read up the Geneva Conventions and the International Law of Armed Conflict including the additional protocols. If you throw stones, bottles or harmful objects at the army, it can be interpreted as an attack. undecided

Kindly show me a video or evidence that the said group attacked the military before the said convention would take effect.

Do you know why the American government initially denied selling arms to Nigeria, because of bad history of the Nigerian army mistreating innocent civilians?

The front page contains a thread were Nigerian army forced the same group inside a dirty water, please from the analysis of the video those group were inside a bus travelling, so how come they were treated that way. In your reasoning, they attacked the soldiers on the road.

Dude you guys are making up stories that Ipob are attacking the soldiers so that you guys would justify the reason for killing innocent civilians

Before you jump and quote me again, I have a general in the army and a captain, they are my blood relations and I know so many retired and active officers in Nigerian army so in normal case I suppose to be siding them.

4 Likes

Re: See Why The United Nations Will Not Interfere in this IPOB issue by laudate: 4:40am On Sep 14, 2017
crackerspub:
Kindly show me a video or evidence that the said group attacked the military before the said convention would take effect.

Do you know why the American government initially denied selling arms to Nigeria, because of bad history of the Nigerian army mistreating innocent civilians?

The front page contains a thread were Nigerian army forced the same group inside a dirty water, please from the analysis of the video those group were inside a bus travelling, so how come they were treated that way. In your reasoning, they attacked the soldiers on the road.

Dude you guys are making up stories that Ipob are attacking the soldiers so that you guys would justify the reason for killing innocent civilians

Before you jump and quote me again, I have a general in the army and a captain, they are my blood relations and I know so many retired and active officers in Nigerian army so in normal case I suppose to be siding them.

Oga you are the one living in denial, if you claim you have not heard of the IPOB youths throwing all kinds of stones and missiles at the armed forces security personnel. sad Do a Google search right now and educate yourself. Even on NL alone, there are a couple of threads on this issue. undecided I also have friends and relatives in the military, so cut the hype.

I am not making up stories, so stop your drama! shocked

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: See Why The United Nations Will Not Interfere in this IPOB issue by Nobody: 5:24am On Sep 14, 2017
AFONJAS will wake up, only to masturbate on biafra.

BIAFRA honestly must be scaring shit out of this peeps..

TonyeBarcanista cc..

KANU is on the right track.. no surrender..no retreat..

IPOB will continue with it's non violence movement..

the zoo can continue with dia dirty propagandists games.. with uwazurike boys to set ipob up..

Acting and uploading YouTube.. just a waste of dia precious time.. we've been around "IPOB " for years without history of oppression and violence..then suddenly..boom! not even deaths and killing by nigeria will deter the movement.

only when you fools understand that the "SPIRIT is ALive" and nothing... mean no man born of a woman can stop the sun from rising..

then you will start seeing the futility of federal government gimmicks.. and the unnecessary wailing of the AFONJAS.. and Anti ipob..

All this will pass away.. and the Sun will still rise.

dem even know..believe me.. buhari is only battling to survive..

He's well informed..
when OBASANJO was calling dem to stop KANU by any means.. una think say he don't know what's he's saying.

the FEAr is real..
Re: See Why The United Nations Will Not Interfere in this IPOB issue by GavelSlam: 5:46am On Sep 14, 2017
bonnylight003:
AFONJAS will wake up, only to masturbate on biafra.

BIAFRA honestly must be scaring shit out of this peeps..

TonyeBarcanista cc..

KANU is on the right track.. no surrender..no retreat..

IPOB will continue with it's non violence movement..

the zoo can continue with dia dirty propagandists games.. with uwazurike boys to set ipob up..

Acting and uploading YouTube.. just a waste of dia precious time.. we've been around "IPOB " for years without history of oppression and violence..then suddenly..boom! not even deaths and killing by nigeria will deter the movement.

only when you fools understand that the "SPIRIT is ALive" and nothing... mean no man born of a woman can stop the sun from rising..

then you will start seeing the futility of federal government gimmicks.. and the unnecessary wailing of the AFONJAS.. and Anti ipob..

All this will pass away.. and the Sun will still rise.

dem even know..believe me.. buhari is only battling to survive..

He's well informed..
when OBASANJO was calling dem to stop KANU by any means.. una think say he don't know what's he's saying.

the FEAr is real..

Since the python started dancing the term Afonja has been used less frequently.

Thanks for rekindling the tempo.

2 Likes

Re: See Why The United Nations Will Not Interfere in this IPOB issue by Childofaking: 5:46am On Sep 14, 2017
What were Nnamdi Kanu and his Ipob gang expecting?They should be prepared for this. Because if he tells me he was doing all those things and did not know they will come for him, then he lacks intelligence. I actually expected this to have happened before now. The delay was probably because of buhari's illness.

Unfortunately, the majority of Ipob supporters are shadowy men and women who sits behind their lap tops or lie on the bed with their phone and tails between their legs. They only fight for Biafra on the social media, they will never risk their life on the streets.

3 Likes

Re: See Why The United Nations Will Not Interfere in this IPOB issue by okway2: 5:49am On Sep 14, 2017
It's laughable that Ibos actually think ICC and UN are gods grin grin

They start trouble and then run to the headmaster.

1 Like

Re: See Why The United Nations Will Not Interfere in this IPOB issue by starstunna1313(m): 6:57am On Sep 14, 2017
laudate:

Oga you are the one living in denial, if you claim you have not heard of the IPOB youths throwing all kinds of stones and missiles at the armed forces security personnel. sad Do a Google search right now and educate yourself. Even on NL alone, there are a couple of threads on this issue. undecided I also have friends and relatives in the military, so cut the hype.

I am not making up stories, so stop your drama! shocked

Oga!!!!... Can you just shut your mouth.. You are making a hell of noise!!!... When last did this your government started observing even the Nigerian Constitution wholeheartedly not to talk of other forms of constitution... Just lets us hear word.. You have made your point
Re: See Why The United Nations Will Not Interfere in this IPOB issue by ItzChinnex(m): 7:29am On Sep 14, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:

Shut up...

2 Likes

Re: See Why The United Nations Will Not Interfere in this IPOB issue by laudate: 9:51am On Sep 14, 2017
starstunna1313:
Oga!!!!... Can you just shut your mouth.. You are making a hell of noise!!!... When last did this your government started observing even the Nigerian Constitution wholeheartedly not to talk of other forms of constitution... Just lets us hear word.. You have made your point
What is your problem? shocked If you don't like what I wrote, abeg waka pass. No be by force to comment, o! Better for you to shut up rather than spew crap! angry Just park well!
Re: See Why The United Nations Will Not Interfere in this IPOB issue by IgboSubmarine: 9:55am On Sep 14, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:

Unity is not by force

United Nations law on Self Determination is Biafran legal right

Nigeria is becoming a terrorist nation for going against UN law on Self Determination
Re: See Why The United Nations Will Not Interfere in this IPOB issue by starstunna1313(m): 1:28pm On Sep 14, 2017
laudate:

What is your problem? shocked If you don't like what I wrote, abeg waka pass. No be by force to comment, o! Better for you to shut up rather than spew crap! angry Just park well!

If I call you Zombie now.. You will start wailing.. Let me pretend as if you have sense
Re: See Why The United Nations Will Not Interfere in this IPOB issue by laudate: 1:31pm On Sep 14, 2017
starstunna1313:
If I call you Zombie now.. You will start wailing.. Let me pretend as if you have sense

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Is Adeleke's Deputy Doing? / Learn From The Yorubas- Joe Igbokwe Tells Igbo Brothers / Signs Of Buhari Second Tenure Might Shake Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.