Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,061 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:21 AM

How an Igbo's Son Had Since Blocked Igbo's Chance:a Case Of Myopic Foresight - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How an Igbo's Son Had Since Blocked Igbo's Chance:a Case Of Myopic Foresight (417 Views)

Ohanaeze Ndigbo Youths Commend Atiku For Choosing Igbo Son As Running Mate / Okorocha Uses Tinubu & Saraki To Explain To 'Myopic Imolites' About Son-In-Law / No Igbo Son Has Ever Killed Anybody In A Place Of Worship. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How an Igbo's Son Had Since Blocked Igbo's Chance:a Case Of Myopic Foresight by victorDanladi: 9:00am On Sep 14, 2017
This was Zik in his own voice:

Azikiwe: In 1953 the NPC under the leadership of my
good friend, the late Sardauna, threatened to secede
from the federation unless their 6-point proposals were
adhered to. I had to use personal diplomacy. We had
been personal friends since 1940. So, I saw Sir
Ahmadu Bello and prevailed upon him that the unity of
this country was greater than himself and myself and
the other people too helped so that the North shifted
grounds and agreed and so the country was saved.
That was in 1953.

Again, however, when the 1954 constitution conference
started, my good friend, Chief Obafemi Awolowo tabled
a motion to the effect that in the new constitution,
provision should be made that any state which feels
like seceding should do so. I was opposed to it and
said ‘no’ and said that once we have a federation, we
are indivisible and perpetual. That was when we began
to use that expression - ‘The Indivisibility and
perpetuity of the federation’ - and that to secede would
amount to treason. And so, a debate ensued.
The Secretary of State then was Oliver Littleton, later
Lord Chandos and he was very much interested and
that was his first time in saying that the people of
African descent were people actually debating at a
high level. So a full day was given to Chief Awolowo to
make his points. He spoke brilliantly as a lawyer. He
made his points why secession should be incorporated
in the constitution. He cited the case of the Soviet
Union which is a federation, and that secession is
written there so that any state in the Soviet Union can
secede at will.

He also cited the case of Western Australia and
eventually he finished his case and was applauded. We
adjourned. The next day, I had to reply. I availed
myself of the opportunity to, well, demolish the
arguments of my friend and I cited the case of United
States which based its constitution on that of the
Swiss Confederation. That is Switzerland. I pointed out
a case, I think, that of Texas versus White, where Mr.
Salmon Chase, the Chief Justice laid down the
principle - he was really an arbiter - that the union was
intended to be perpetual and indivisible and that any
attempt to divide the union by secession was
treasonable.

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/general/my-role-
in-the-civil-war-by-zik/119382.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How an Igbo's Son Had Since Blocked Igbo's Chance:a Case Of Myopic Foresight by Danladi7: 9:06am On Sep 14, 2017
The deludeds are coming for your head with insults,abuse and loads of replies with ewedu and demola ajayi picturesgrin

my own comment:Those deludeds will prefer to blame Awolowo for their problem!

if biafra is granted today,all other ECOWAS countries will become their enemy because they will always blame their backwardness on them and believe they are envying themgrin

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How an Igbo's Son Had Since Blocked Igbo's Chance:a Case Of Myopic Foresight by victorDanladi: 9:11am On Sep 14, 2017
Danladi7:
The deludeds are coming for your head with insults,abuse and loads of replies with ewedu and demola ajayi picturesgrin

if biafra is granted today,all other ECOWAS countries will become their enemies because they will always blame their backwardness on them and believe they are envying themgrin
Re: How an Igbo's Son Had Since Blocked Igbo's Chance:a Case Of Myopic Foresight by victorDanladi: 9:11am On Sep 14, 2017
Re: How an Igbo's Son Had Since Blocked Igbo's Chance:a Case Of Myopic Foresight by ObaKlaz: 9:17am On Sep 14, 2017
Who knew what Azikiwe was thinking then!

...Buhari is still a tyrant and 'Shuku Okeke Obioma' will lead us out of this 'zoo' through his 'fearless' servant, Mazi Dilector. grin
Re: How an Igbo's Son Had Since Blocked Igbo's Chance:a Case Of Myopic Foresight by NothingDoMe: 9:24am On Sep 14, 2017
Danladi7:

if biafra is granted today,all other ECOWAS countries will become their enemy because they will always blame their backwardness on them and believe they are envying themgrin
Grant it first na. Were you begged help do future analysis? ?I am tired of hearing that if Biafra is granted this or that will happen.

Just shaaraap and do it! Simple.
Re: How an Igbo's Son Had Since Blocked Igbo's Chance:a Case Of Myopic Foresight by victorDanladi: 10:03am On Sep 14, 2017
NothingDoMe:
Grant it first na. Were you begged help do future analysis? ?I am tired of hearing that if Biafra is granted this or that will happen.

Just shaaraap and do it! Simple.

for your information.I wish i'm the president.I will grant you on a platter of goldgrin

(1) (Reply)

Abia Tension : Kaduna Police Assure There’ll Be No Reprisal Attack / I Fought Yar 'adua And His Dead, Fought Jonathan And He's In Otueke-El Rufai / Kano State Govt. Uncovers N12.7m Salary Fraud

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.