Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,049 members, 7,810,875 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:31 PM

I Can Never Marry From That Tribe. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / I Can Never Marry From That Tribe. (2903 Views)

Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa / Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe / Beauty And The Neck! Meet The ‘giraffe’ Women Of Padaung Tribe In Burma (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Can Never Marry From That Tribe. by ChuksEpells: 6:21pm On Sep 14, 2017
Just thinking about the topic makes me laugh because it just shows how deliberately delusional anyone that makes such a statement is. It shows how backward-thinking that person is, because in this global age where many people are looking for ‘the way forward’, such a person is always on the lookout for seeming characteristics and reasons why being with a person from a particular ethnic group is never going to happen. You know, people sometimes say things that make you want to doubt their sanity. Over time, certain snide comments have been made so often that today in Nigeria, such comments are somewhat accepted and ‘set in stone’.
For the females: Yoruba girls are dirty; Edo girls are prostitutes and witches; Ibo girls are materialistic; Kogi girls are troublemakers; Ijaw women like parties and ‘enjoyment’; Itshekiri women like ‘Oyibo’; Calabar girls are good in bed; Tiv girls are sexually wayward plus they drink heavily; Isoko girls are stingy; Urhobo girls drink a lot. And for the guys, Yoruba guys are caring plus they scare easily; Hausa men are uncircumcised; Urhobo men are polygamous; Ibo guys can really take care of their women (only if she’s Ibo too); Isoko men are stingy; Tiv men will gladly give their women up as entertainment to their friend; Kogi men are touts; Ijaw men are flirts; Ibo guys can do anything for money… bla bla bla would you stop already??
Are tribal stereotypes 100% accurate? Or maybe 80%, 50%, 20%? Does your ethnic origin dictate your personality? For example if Ijaw men are flirts, automatically all the male flirts in this country are Ijaw men, right? Do you grow up to discover that your tribe is known for a particular trait and you naturally find yourself exhibiting that trait, or if you don’t have it yet, you make sure it becomes part of you? Is it also sometimes an excuse to behave abnormally? For example they say an Ibo man can do anything for money, so this young man goes to scary extremes just to get money and he says, “you know my people love money, so it’s not my fault”.
Personally I don’t care that a person is from a particular ethnic group before I become friends or even have a relationship with them. I deal more with personal qualities rather than tribal sentiments. The world is full of beautiful varieties, different cultures waiting to be educated about than for me to weigh myself down with some myopic so-called ‘ethnic traits’. That’s me, so what about you? Do you consider the said traits of a person’s tribe before you consider even saying, ‘hello’ how much more dating? Or maybe you have a list of tribes you would NEVER consider marrying from, regardless of
whether the person is a good person or not. If you do, just take a second to think how you would feel if someone you really, really like tells you ‘NO!” because you belong to a certain ethnic group they already decided they want nothing to do with.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Can Never Marry From That Tribe. by dingbang(m): 6:25pm On Sep 14, 2017
The prejudice is too much.....
Re: I Can Never Marry From That Tribe. by Tamass: 6:29pm On Sep 14, 2017
At least we still have very reasonable thinking people on this platform... Carry go brother!

1 Like

Re: I Can Never Marry From That Tribe. by BraniacX(m): 6:54pm On Sep 14, 2017
Well, events seen to continually reenforce the stereotypes

1 Like

Re: I Can Never Marry From That Tribe. by toniacan(f): 6:56pm On Sep 14, 2017
Ethnicity is never a yardstick for measuring character. I accept people because if their personality not where they come from.

1 Like

Re: I Can Never Marry From That Tribe. by whitebeard(m): 7:00pm On Sep 14, 2017
Is something wrong with OP..!!
Re: I Can Never Marry From That Tribe. by Nobody: 4:45am On Sep 15, 2017
hausas uncircumcised? are you lot ret arded down there? every muslim is required to be circumcised, where did that ridiculous stereotype come from?
Re: I Can Never Marry From That Tribe. by Iykmann(m): 2:40pm On Sep 15, 2017
They is nothing wrong in someone he/she won't marry from another tribe
Re: I Can Never Marry From That Tribe. by RedboneSmith(m): 3:09pm On Sep 15, 2017
Ersan:
hausas uncircumcised? are you lot ret arded down there? every muslim is required to be circumcised, where did that ridiculous stereotype come from?

Southerners observed that Hausa men squat to urinate in public (probably because they don't want bystanders to catch a glimpse of their junk, I don't know.) Someone perhaps then speculated that the squatting is because they want to hide an uncircumcised junk. Thus a myth is born.

3 Likes

Re: I Can Never Marry From That Tribe. by Nobody: 10:05pm On Sep 15, 2017
RedboneSmith:

Southerners observed that Hausa men squat to urinate in public (probably because they don't want bystanders to catch a glimpse of their junk, I don't know.) Someone perhaps then speculated that the squatting is because they want to hide an uncircumcised junk. Thus a myth is born.

lmao, the squatting is also islamic. it is to minimize spatter and avoid urine making your clothes impure. smh
Re: I Can Never Marry From That Tribe. by WeirdoNg: 6:50am On Sep 17, 2017
There are lots of crazy people in Nigeria, who told you Hausas are uncircumcised?

1 Like

Re: I Can Never Marry From That Tribe. by SlayerForever: 1:11pm On Sep 18, 2017
I used to see these things this way but over time experience has taught me better. Relating politely with a stranger from the another group is good,especially at the first instance. You don't go about being rude to people from other ethnicities,that is so wrong (I see THIS in Lagos a lot). Get to know the person's character first,everyone can't be bad. However,coming to marriage,my personal views on marriage has changed DRASTICALLY in the last few years. Marriage goes way beyond everyday interactions with members of other groups. Marriage is a union between two families. Tjat said experience in Nigeria has taught me that marriage within the group should be treasured and promoted. In essence,marriage should be kept within areas of cultural similarity (like in areas where intermarriage was high in precolonial times. Talking from my own group's perspective). Differences and clashes in culture and worldview in many marriages sometimes are never resolved. Again,the intermarriages has not fostered unity among the peoples. It has only created confused kids without strong sense of identity.

In summary,the Igbo should keep marriage within the Igbo or only as far as the neighbouring surrounding ethnicities. kponkwem.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

1562 ���a Slave Ship Called 'jesus' Of Lübeck.. Sir John Hawkins / Toyota Camry 2007 08106206317 / New Igbo Language Flag

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.