Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,449 members, 7,770,121 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 04:15 AM

Do Islam And Christianity Permit The Use Of Condoms? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do Islam And Christianity Permit The Use Of Condoms? (6334 Views)

The Difference Between RELIGION And CHRISTIANITY. / What Is The Use Of Fasting,when God still Answer prayers with Full Stomach? / Mention Few Common Practices Between Islam And Christianity. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Islam And Christianity Permit The Use Of Condoms? by Brymore(m): 2:47pm On Feb 15, 2007
Please, I'm doing a research on condom use in religion and I will love fellow Nairalanders to tell me what they think from a religious perspective.

Are condoms acceptable in relationships (dating/courting), and marriages?

Thanks for your sincere contributions.
Re: Do Islam And Christianity Permit The Use Of Condoms? by Seun(m): 5:43pm On Feb 16, 2007
It's better to fornicate with a condom than to fornicate without one,
so you don't concieve a child without a home.

It's better to commit adultery with a condom than to commit adultery without one,
so you don't transmit diseases to your spouse or have a child outside wedlock.

It's better to have sex with your wife using a condom if you have more than 2 kids
so that poverty will not become a permanent characteristic of your family.
(although, for married couples, there are many other better contraceptives available)

In summary, smart people use condoms in all relationships, including adultery, fornication and marriage.
If you must sin, sin with sense. Why must you suffer repercussions beyond what you should suffer?

To answer your question directly: in Islam and in Christianity, there's no mention of the word "condom".
Any priest or pastor that preaches against safe sex is a very bad person indeed. Sense is profitable!
Re: Do Islam And Christianity Permit The Use Of Condoms? by trinigirl1(f): 6:04pm On Feb 16, 2007
thank you Seun!

at least in this rare instance, I agree with ur opinion. grin

sensible sin. lol!!

I think what the gentleman is really doing research on is birth control and how religion views it.

Brymore, which religion are you referring to, and why specifically "condom" use?
Re: Do Islam And Christianity Permit The Use Of Condoms? by LadyT(f): 6:07pm On Feb 16, 2007
If you are talking in religious terms STRICT to the letter. Then you shouldn't use condoms while dating because you shouldn't be having sex!!! grin
Re: Do Islam And Christianity Permit The Use Of Condoms? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:13pm On Feb 16, 2007
Seun:

Any priest or pastor that preaches against safe sex is a very bad person indeed. Wisdom is profitable!

The pope will not be happy with your statement, Seun  tongue

In the states, you have people esp those of hispanic decent with numeous children, the reason being that majority of them are Catholic and the Catholic church is against contraceptives. It's funny, they remember that their church is against contraceptive but they DONT remember that it's also against fornication, I guess they try to make themselves feel better by believing "well the act wasnt premeditated, if i were to stop and wear a condom or whatver it would prove that I was in my sane mind when i decided to do this so why not lie to myself and my church by pretending that it was just in the heat of the moment, what does it matter if I end up with children around town or STDs.,.just as long as I believe it, everyone else will too"

*rolls eyes*
Re: Do Islam And Christianity Permit The Use Of Condoms? by debosky(m): 6:14pm On Feb 16, 2007
Seun:

Any priest or pastor that preaches against safe sex is a very bad person indeed. Wisdom is profitable!

Any priest or pastor that encourages promiscuity and infidelity in the name of 'safe sex' is an even worse person!

Everyone knows the safest sex is NO sex till you are good and ready to face the consequences.

@ topic, I don't know what Islam has to say about this matter, but I believe the catholic church doesn't support contraception,

but supports no sex before marriage, mutual fidelity and natural methods to avoid unwanted pregnancies
Re: Do Islam And Christianity Permit The Use Of Condoms? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:20pm On Feb 16, 2007
all this from debo the non-virgin
Re: Do Islam And Christianity Permit The Use Of Condoms? by LadyT(f): 6:21pm On Feb 16, 2007
LOL@TOH

Hey Debo is this true are you in double figures yet you nasty boy! LOL
Re: Do Islam And Christianity Permit The Use Of Condoms? by Brymore(m): 6:22pm On Feb 16, 2007
trini_girl:

thank you Seun!

at least in this rare instance, I agree with your opinion. grin

sensible sin. lol!!

I think what the gentleman is really doing research on is birth control and how religion views it.

Brymore, which religion are you referring to, and why specifically "condom" use?

I'm looking at both religions, Christianity and Islam. I am also not necessarily working on birth control but would not mind info along those lines too. There's been this talk about condoms promoting sex so I'm trying to question the "condom use" opinion. Is it frowned at or perpetuated by religion, where does religious guidelines end, and where does logic start?
Thanks for ur response Seun, it was poetic, entertaining and enlightening. Jah Bless
Re: Do Islam And Christianity Permit The Use Of Condoms? by debosky(m): 6:26pm On Feb 16, 2007
@ TOH and Lady T abeg oh!

I'm still a pure and untouched virgin!!

In fact, i'm a monk-in-training right now grin grin grin

I support condom use in the confines of a marriage relationship, I don't believe there is any specific reference in the bible against contraception
Re: Do Islam And Christianity Permit The Use Of Condoms? by LadyT(f): 6:30pm On Feb 16, 2007
Brymore its all logic you dont hear Jesus talking about condoms in the bible do you?  I dont think they even have the sheep intestine condoms back then.  

Also surely the Catholic method of withdrawl is wrong did they miss this chapter in the bible Genesis 38:9 that guy pulled out and God killed him
Re: Do Islam And Christianity Permit The Use Of Condoms? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:56pm On Feb 16, 2007
untouched, riiight
Re: Do Islam And Christianity Permit The Use Of Condoms? by luzgarb(m): 6:59pm On Feb 16, 2007
THE BIBLE SAID; " LET THERE BE MARRIAGE AND THE BED UNDIFILED" THAT IS TO SAY AS A CHRISTIAN IF U ARE UNMARRIED THE USE OF CONDOM IS NOT ALLOWED; IT IS A SIN TO GOD, BUT IF MARRIED ; THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH IT.
Re: Do Islam And Christianity Permit The Use Of Condoms? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 7:00pm On Feb 16, 2007
someone point out the word "condom" in any of the Bible passages for me.

Thanks.
Re: Do Islam And Christianity Permit The Use Of Condoms? by exu(m): 7:02pm On Feb 16, 2007
The real question is whether Christianity or Islam permit the use of common sense?

The obvious answer would be no.
Re: Do Islam And Christianity Permit The Use Of Condoms? by debosky(m): 7:07pm On Feb 16, 2007
@ lady T, the withdrawal thing was because he disobeyed God by not fully accepting the woman as his wife, the sin was not the withdrawal, it was the fact that it symbolised his non acceptance of the lady, a much misinterpreted passage, thats a different issue all on its own.

what does exu define as common sense? shag when you want to with whom you want to?
Re: Do Islam And Christianity Permit The Use Of Condoms? by LadyT(f): 7:18pm On Feb 16, 2007
I see @ debo

exu:

The real question is whether Christianity or Islam permit the use of common sense?

The obvious answer would be no.

Thats the wrong view to take both religions clearly state that sexual relationships outside marriage is wrong and dangerous.  It is us so called modern civilised people who have become obsessed with sex.  We no longer see sex as a man and woman coming togther and showing their love and thus producing a child.  Sex is now about getting the best possible orgasm and getting as much sex as possible with as many people that you can fit in.  Contraception has aided sleeping around because you can now do it consequence free.  Why do you think we have more abortions now then ever?  Most people don't go into sex looking for children they are looking to get off.  In the end only God can judge I'm sure they will be protitutes and even gays in heaven and many of these bible bashing koran bombing people roasting in hell. 

Lets call a spade a spade.  We are all sinners. I think people like to condemn religion when they have commited acts that maybe classed as sin. Theres no need to do that.
Re: Do Islam And Christianity Permit The Use Of Condoms? by exu(m): 7:22pm On Feb 16, 2007
what does exu define as common sense? shag when you want to with whom you want to?

You just confirmed my answer/question with that statement.
Re: Do Islam And Christianity Permit The Use Of Condoms? by dennylove(m): 8:19pm On Feb 16, 2007
condom permition!!!,why not,if not grin grin cheesy cheesy shocked shocked
Re: Do Islam And Christianity Permit The Use Of Condoms? by debosky(m): 8:36pm On Feb 16, 2007
@ exu expatiate, I said that to seed the discussion.

Christian belief is that sex is confined to a marriage relationship as an expression of love and for procreation.

does this qualify as common sense to you?
Re: Do Islam And Christianity Permit The Use Of Condoms? by afamblondy: 8:48pm On Feb 16, 2007
do you mean in the bible or what?condoms where discovered few years ago so i dont think it has anything to do with religion.it is entirely a matter of neccesity.
Re: Do Islam And Christianity Permit The Use Of Condoms? by Lawijo(m): 9:05pm On Feb 16, 2007
I am of the opinion that issues should be dealt with from the perspective of the time and place they happen.
Sex and all it's associated issues is a multi-billion $ industry, you only need to look at bill-board ads, tv ads, listen radio jingles etc. Further, sex and promiscuity is as old as the human existence. The human race has never been exposed to sexual temptations as we are today and this trend is set to increase. If there has been so much time, effort and money spent on researches to establish the negative impacts of unsafe sex and at the same time, we have developed enough to come up with an invention that could serve as precautionary measure for a lot of otherwise mysteries resulting out of unsafe sex. Why not?
Anyway, this is a rather curious posting, because, from the point of view of Islam and Christanity, condoms do not exist (or is a non-issue).
Another point that needs to be made clear again, is that condoms are not solely invented to prevent the spread of diseases.  What do the anti-condom religious brigades, think of unwanted pregnancies and how this seriously impacts the lives of the unwanted children who have had no imput in the decision making that has brought them unbearable mysteries. Which otherwise could have been prevented.
Abstainance until marriage is a utopian approach. For those who are successful in achieving this, I say kudos. And for the other rational, objective group willing to take responsibities for their actions, I would say, rational decisions leads to the best results.
Re: Do Islam And Christianity Permit The Use Of Condoms? by Lawijo(m): 9:14pm On Feb 16, 2007
Lady T wrote:

"It is us so called modern civilised people who have become obsessed with sex. We no longer see sex as a man and woman coming togther and showing their love and thus producing a child. Sex is now about getting the best possible orgasm and getting as much sex as possible with as many people that you can fit in."

, Could this be part of the so-called evolution? Same as we are now able to travel to other planets and chat with people around the world in a fraction of minutes? Could it also be that religions need to modernise and keep up with mordern developments. I think they can achieve this without losing their core values.
Re: Do Islam And Christianity Permit The Use Of Condoms? by LadyT(f): 9:21pm On Feb 16, 2007
Lawijo I dont think that is the answer. I mean where will the modernisation of religion stop? Its like lying to ourselves we are changing a set of rules given to us. So one day we will cut out chapters in the bible stating being Gay is wrong or incest is wrong just to move with the times? In order to function in this already lawless world rules and regultions are needed. Adapting the rules to suit ones needs is wrong. You either live by them or you dont simple. Everyone has free will.
Re: Do Islam And Christianity Permit The Use Of Condoms? by gbogboade(f): 10:02pm On Feb 16, 2007
during my second year in school a pastor came to my dept and said,God forbid condom,he also said that God told him the full meaning of condom.

C=CURSE
O=ON
N=NATION
D=DESTROYERS
O=OF
M=MEN

is this true grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Do Islam And Christianity Permit The Use Of Condoms? by Lawijo(m): 10:05pm On Feb 16, 2007
For the Niaralanders among us who are versed and have extensive know of Islam or Christianity.
, Does any of these religions condone or allow the use of condoms in a marriage?
Thanks.
Re: Do Islam And Christianity Permit The Use Of Condoms? by LadyT(f): 10:08pm On Feb 16, 2007
Lawijo:

For the Niaralanders among us who are versed and have extensive know of Islam or Christianity.
, Does any of these religions condone or allow the use of condoms in a marriage?
Thanks.

Thats the wrong question to ask shouldnt you ask whether birth control is premitted? Whatever the method?
Re: Do Islam And Christianity Permit The Use Of Condoms? by olat(m): 11:26pm On Feb 16, 2007
From the Islamic point of view. :As we all know, adultery and fornication are sins. As such, using condom as a weapon against HIV/AIDS between unmarried partners is null and void!
Howeve, the withdrawal method between married partners is NOT disallowed in Islam. Following that spirit using condom between married parners could be permissble.
I hope this answer the question from the Islamic view point.
Re: Do Islam And Christianity Permit The Use Of Condoms? by hammah(m): 1:28am On Feb 17, 2007
I must state it clearly that none of these two religions specifically stated anything on the use of condom but it can be coined out that Islam doctrines do not subscribe to the use of condom which can be liken from the founder's personal precept of unfaithfulness of his followers and the cultural trend at the period of 'islam''s birth,ofcourse AIDS and STIs were not pevalence at that time and the prophet had really encouraged procreation because of followership!
For catholics, forbidden due to the numbers of catholic conferences to frame guiding constitutions to suit sectarian desires and urges!protestants will definitely be temperamental on the issue due to her dynamisms which had been the the bedrock of her origination.
Re: Do Islam And Christianity Permit The Use Of Condoms? by texazzpete(m): 8:52am On Feb 17, 2007
The position of the Catholic church is that there are natural methods of birth control, and such are the only allowed methods!

For EVERY christian denomination worth its salt, pre-marital sex is frowned upon as fornication which is a sin in the eyes of God. If you don't indulge in pre-marital sex/fornication/adultery the question of 'safe sex' won't come up.

i'm not a woman/female and i can't claim to know all but i think there's always a safe period where any married couple could make love and there'd be very minimal chance of pregnancy. Such is the natural birth control method advocated, i think.
If i'm wrong, someone let me know!

I agree with the person who said that abstinence before marriage is an utopian ideal, some do it, kudos to them. But the fact that most of us can't maintain those strict standards doesn't mean that it isn't wrong from a religious point of view.
Re: Do Islam And Christianity Permit The Use Of Condoms? by abohrandy: 11:23am On Feb 17, 2007
SEX is not for please so no condom!!
i got expelled from a catholic skul for giving a girl a condom as a brthday present
so i want to believe catholics hate that stuff
Re: Do Islam And Christianity Permit The Use Of Condoms? by agnesoseka: 1:24pm On Feb 17, 2007
well, i feel its safer to use one doesnt matter d religion practiced,

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Want To Join A Brotherhood For Wealth / Pastor Ajanaku Confirmed Dead, 27 Ogboni Fraternity Visit His Home / Religion Section Reference Library (sticky)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.