Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,066 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:44 AM

A Nairalander Explains Phonenumber Update Using ATMs For All Firstbank Customers - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / A Nairalander Explains Phonenumber Update Using ATMs For All Firstbank Customers (29328 Views)

Banks Lose Over N1bn As Hoodlums Wreck ATMs, Branches / NLC Strike! Long Queues At Atms As Customers Make Panic Withdrawals / Firstbank Reacts To Rumours That Its Elephant May Swallow Customers Money (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Nairalander Explains Phonenumber Update Using ATMs For All Firstbank Customers by Dfinex(f): 9:27pm On Sep 18, 2017
Mynd44:

Exactly!

If tade steal Sade's ATM card, he can go change her phone number straight. He wont even bother using the ATM card again, just start using the USSD service to move out her money.

These guys at First Bank did not think this through at all. Thats if they thought about it at all

Firstly in cases like this there's the probability of pin compromise which the bank is not liable for, however upon registration of the new phone number a one time password will be sent to the registered number which helps in confirming ownership.

Plus the registration takes effect within a space of 24 to 48 hours which is enough time for the customer to alert the bank of any foul play.

But then a great majority of the Nigerian populace are yet to be technologically savvy but we hope for less cases of frauds and scams which are the likely risks inherent in such advancements as this .....the bvn scams are still fresh in our memories.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Nairalander Explains Phonenumber Update Using ATMs For All Firstbank Customers by Dfinex(f): 9:30pm On Sep 18, 2017
WiseFool2:

How do I get a new OTP? I flashed my phone and downloaded another app. I tried registering again and was told the OTP was correct.

U don't register again, u activate.
Re: A Nairalander Explains Phonenumber Update Using ATMs For All Firstbank Customers by jammy1993(m): 10:16pm On Sep 18, 2017
SirKriz:
There's a vulnerability here. If somehow someone gets your Debit card, your pin and then changes your phone number, how will you even get to know on time to take actions?

What security measures are put in place to guard against scenarios like this?
If someone gets ur card and pin, he can also dry up ur accnt instantly using the ATM machine apart frm the phone number thing.
Being careful is the best security against scenarios like this.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Explains Phonenumber Update Using ATMs For All Firstbank Customers by Toscoas2(m): 2:43am On Sep 19, 2017
dingbang:
look I see no reason why we should kill ourselves over an issue that is not even existing.

Few banks have been on this mobile update matter using ATM its not a big deal. I only posted this thread because a lot of our customers aren't aware of this..

I just laugh when people compare banks..while dey are busy making their money in silent ways..
You don't argue with nairalander because you don't even know if d person is 10yrs old, you HV done what is right. Respond to issue and people with positive mind.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Nairalander Explains Phonenumber Update Using ATMs For All Firstbank Customers by 9cbaby(f): 3:39am On Sep 19, 2017
Can international number be allowed?
Re: A Nairalander Explains Phonenumber Update Using ATMs For All Firstbank Customers by jimmy212(m): 5:02am On Sep 19, 2017
Teeth whitening lightens teeth and helps to remove stains and discoloration. Whitening is among the most popular cosmetic dental procedures because it can greatly improve how your teeth look

More and more people like to buy cost-effective Teeth Whitening Products such as Teeth Whitening Kit & Teeth Whitening Strips & Teeth Whitening Pen, etc, instead of go to expensive dentist.Applicable Crowd:Teeth stain from coffee, tobacco, genetic, tetracycline, food coloring, aging and other kind things that yellow the teeth.

see more here: https://www./teeth-whitening-advanced-teeth-whitening-system-6787034.html
Re: A Nairalander Explains Phonenumber Update Using ATMs For All Firstbank Customers by dingbang(m): 5:21am On Sep 19, 2017
9cbaby:
Can international number be allowed?
no. Only national numbers
Re: A Nairalander Explains Phonenumber Update Using ATMs For All Firstbank Customers by MISSNORA(f): 5:23pm On Sep 19, 2017
ololadeking:
mee tooo,yu look dope btw
thanx thanx cheesy
Re: A Nairalander Explains Phonenumber Update Using ATMs For All Firstbank Customers by LifeIsGuhd(f): 12:08pm On Sep 20, 2017
Mr Dingbang, there's no network in sokoto

All the branches...

Biko escalate ehn...
Before I sue you people
Re: A Nairalander Explains Phonenumber Update Using ATMs For All Firstbank Customers by dingbang(m): 2:03pm On Sep 20, 2017
LifeIsGuhd:
Mr Dingbang, there's no network in sokoto

All the branches...

Biko escalate ehn...
Before I sue you people
lmao. What do you want to do
Re: A Nairalander Explains Phonenumber Update Using ATMs For All Firstbank Customers by LifeIsGuhd(f): 3:05pm On Sep 20, 2017
dingbang:
lmao. What do you want to do

Lol, wanted to withdraw o...
Large sum....

They just kept posting me...
I just left tho

Thanks for nothing undecided
Re: A Nairalander Explains Phonenumber Update Using ATMs For All Firstbank Customers by dingbang(m): 4:47pm On Sep 20, 2017
LifeIsGuhd:

Lol, wanted to withdraw o...
Large sum....

They just kept posting me...
I just left tho

Thanks for nothing undecided
our apologies.... Network is going now.. You can visit an atm
Re: A Nairalander Explains Phonenumber Update Using ATMs For All Firstbank Customers by LifeIsGuhd(f): 6:34pm On Sep 20, 2017
dingbang:
our apologies.... Network is going now.. You can visit an atm
Yea, done!
Thanks
Re: A Nairalander Explains Phonenumber Update Using ATMs For All Firstbank Customers by dingbang(m): 9:31pm On Sep 20, 2017
LifeIsGuhd:

Yea, done!
Thanks
u see...after all the shouting grin oya what will you give me
Re: A Nairalander Explains Phonenumber Update Using ATMs For All Firstbank Customers by LifeIsGuhd(f): 9:39pm On Sep 20, 2017
dingbang:
u see...after all the shouting grin oya what will you give me

Lool
Oya comman take small stout grin
Re: A Nairalander Explains Phonenumber Update Using ATMs For All Firstbank Customers by dingbang(m): 4:48am On Sep 21, 2017
LifeIsGuhd:

Lool
Oya comman take small stout grin
where will I come?
Re: A Nairalander Explains Phonenumber Update Using ATMs For All Firstbank Customers by LifeIsGuhd(f): 8:16am On Sep 21, 2017
dingbang:
where will I come?

Sokoto na grin
Re: A Nairalander Explains Phonenumber Update Using ATMs For All Firstbank Customers by dingbang(m): 8:46am On Sep 21, 2017
LifeIsGuhd:

Sokoto na grin
you don't like me cheesy
Re: A Nairalander Explains Phonenumber Update Using ATMs For All Firstbank Customers by JohnDope(m): 9:20am On Sep 21, 2017
dingbang:
Good day esteemed First Bank Customers. My name is Ikenna Ihekweazu, a Digital Geek at First Bank Plc..

In line with the Bank's move in ensuring smooth and easy way of banking, FirstBank customers can now update their current phone number on the SMS alert platform to a new phone number easily using First Bank ATMs nationwide without coming to the bank to fill phone number update forms.

Oh yes!! This saves you a lot of stress. You may have lost your simcard years ago, your phone may have been stolen or lost together with your simcard and along the line, the stress of retrieving the line weighs you down. This causes you not to receive alerts anymore after each cash transaction you make. In your best interest, phone number update is now possible for all FirstBank customers through FirstBank ATMs nationwide.

STEPS IN UPDATING YOUR PHONE NUMBER

1. Visit any FirstBank ATM. Insert your ATM card and wait for a few seconds.

2. Three options display immediately for you to select. To change your phone number, press the button for the last option on the display menu which reads UPDATE PHONE NUMBER.

3. A message shows "Retrieving current phone number". In a few seconds, your current phone number will be displayed. You now have the option of changing it by pressing "CHANGE" and inputting your new phone number. Then press send.

You will get a message saying “Phone number change successful”. Voila. Your new phone number is automatically added to the SMS alert platform. Please note that it takes 24-48 hours for SMS alerts to be sent to your new phone number.

Remember, *894# and FirstMobile are other banking channels you can easily use to bank on the go.

Thank you for banking with us.

#YouFirst.

I had this registered number issue for a while now, I have gone to the ATM to do this but it keeps displaying " unable to retrieve current phone number, please try again later". I've done this umpteen times, what seems to be the problem??
Re: A Nairalander Explains Phonenumber Update Using ATMs For All Firstbank Customers by obinrinrere: 1:55pm On Sep 21, 2017
I have been on this issue long ago..
Thanks to the op, as I just did mine. Waiting for confirmation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Nairalander Explains Phonenumber Update Using ATMs For All Firstbank Customers by JohnDope(m): 4:52pm On Sep 21, 2017
How did you go about it? Its taking forever..
Re: A Nairalander Explains Phonenumber Update Using ATMs For All Firstbank Customers by JohnDope(m): 5:20pm On Sep 21, 2017
obinrinrere:
I have been on this issue long ago..
Thanks to the op, as I just did mine. Waiting for confirmation.
can you break it down, step by step how you did it. Thanks..Op not responding
Re: A Nairalander Explains Phonenumber Update Using ATMs For All Firstbank Customers by FromZeroToHero(m): 11:07am On Sep 22, 2017
dingbang:
Good day esteemed First Bank Customers. My name is Ikenna Ihekweazu, a Digital Geek at First Bank Plc..

In line with the Bank's move in ensuring smooth and easy way of banking, FirstBank customers can now update their current phone number on the SMS alert platform to a new phone number easily using First Bank ATMs nationwide without coming to the bank to fill phone number update forms.

Oh yes!! This saves you a lot of stress. You may have lost your simcard years ago, your phone may have been stolen or lost together with your simcard and along the line, the stress of retrieving the line weighs you down. This causes you not to receive alerts anymore after each cash transaction you make. In your best interest, phone number update is now possible for all FirstBank customers through FirstBank ATMs nationwide.

STEPS IN UPDATING YOUR PHONE NUMBER

1. Visit any FirstBank ATM. Insert your ATM card and wait for a few seconds.

2. Three options display immediately for you to select. To change your phone number, press the button for the last option on the display menu which reads UPDATE PHONE NUMBER.

3. A message shows "Retrieving current phone number". In a few seconds, your current phone number will be displayed. You now have the option of changing it by pressing "CHANGE" and inputting your new phone number. Then press send.

You will get a message saying “Phone number change successful”. Voila. Your new phone number is automatically added to the SMS alert platform. Please note that it takes 24-48 hours for SMS alerts to be sent to your new phone number.

Remember, *894# and FirstMobile are other banking channels you can easily use to bank on the go.

Thank you for banking with us.

#YouFirst.

I change my phone number since on Tuesday but i haven't received any sms. I withdrew yesterday and there was no alert.
Re: A Nairalander Explains Phonenumber Update Using ATMs For All Firstbank Customers by Nobody: 5:39pm On Sep 22, 2017
ayodijex:

calm down, ask if u don't know. with Gtbank, they send a text message to the current registered one that your card has been used to request for a change in phone number and they give a number to call if it isn't you. i believe first bank will do the same.

I just went to a GTBank ATM to change my registered phone number and it didn't send any code to my old number (which I lost) nor to my preferred number which I just submitted. All it did was asking for my pin twice and that was all. Though, I once changed my phone number on the ATM and it did send a code to my preferred number, not to the initial number.

If codes are sent to the initial phone numbers, then the ATM procedure will be somewhat useless as one of the major reasons for changing alert number is "lost of sim card"

To tackle what you guys fear, GTBank allows a distinct and different code for using the USSD banking service.

As for withdrawal with your ATM card, what else is there to have when someone has your card and pin at the same time?

Please, let people enjoy this service. I hate the banking stress

By the way, who knows if I can change the number on my BVN coz I can't access the initial number again?
Please, very important
Re: A Nairalander Explains Phonenumber Update Using ATMs For All Firstbank Customers by JohnDope(m): 6:36am On Sep 23, 2017
Do *565*0# on you phone, your Bvn will be displayed. Service costs 10 naira.
Re: A Nairalander Explains Phonenumber Update Using ATMs For All Firstbank Customers by emmayayodeji(m): 8:23pm On Sep 23, 2017
FromZeroToHero:
I change my phone number since on Tuesday but i haven't received any sms. I withdrew yesterday and there was no alert.

Same here almost 4 days now no alert

Cc dingbang
Re: A Nairalander Explains Phonenumber Update Using ATMs For All Firstbank Customers by JohnDope(m): 8:27pm On Sep 23, 2017
Pls what is the procedure?
Re: A Nairalander Explains Phonenumber Update Using ATMs For All Firstbank Customers by freeman67: 10:29am On Sep 24, 2017
As Nigeria we are we do not easily accept change...we have also witnessed lots of scam issues so everyone is alert and security conscious. In this case I think the originators have try to consider some security situations too by doing certain things like ....

1) Putting some time lag between when request is made and when action is taken.. 24- 48 hours is a very long time to frustrate a scammer.. It is also enough time to contact your bank for a missing ATM card except it was stolen and you had no idea of it. (In a case of stolen ATM, even if it happened weekends you can always call or mail their customer care.)
2) By sending a notification to the number you wish to switch from... It then means if you the real owner is not the one authorizing the switch you can act on the instruction in the notification before the change can be effected. Except of course if the person intending to scam you is your buddy...

In all its still very OK for people to raise concerns in this type of issues because that the major way for people to know the likely flaws and how to avert them...
Re: A Nairalander Explains Phonenumber Update Using ATMs For All Firstbank Customers by JohnDope(m): 6:40pm On Sep 24, 2017
Keeps telling me "current phone number can not be retrieved this time, please try again later" for the past 4 days now. Wetin come be the problem??
Re: A Nairalander Explains Phonenumber Update Using ATMs For All Firstbank Customers by Eddodoh(m): 9:02pm On Sep 24, 2017
ECOBANK will never innovate ways to enhance their service and ease customers the stress of going up & down to sort out simple issue. The bank is only innovative at deducting money from customers account.

To change my unused phone number with ECOBANK. I was asked to bring National ID & other papers. I presented my NIMC Slip, it was rejected. Since then, I left my account dormant with d bank.
Re: A Nairalander Explains Phonenumber Update Using ATMs For All Firstbank Customers by WALEXYY(m): 7:57am On Sep 25, 2017
Eddodoh:
ECOBANK will never innovate ways to enhance their service and ease customers the stress of going up & down to sort out simple issue. The bank is only innovative at deducting money from customers account.

To change my unused phone number with ECOBANK. I was asked to bring National ID & other papers. I presented my NIMC Slip, it was rejected. Since then, I left my account dormant with d bank.

Whao!

Try to send them an email @ engcontactcentre@ecobank.com, I believe you will get a quick response.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

CBN Suspends New Cashless Policy / Jim Ovia Earns N1.52 Billion As Top Bank Chiefs Earn N2.3bn In Interim Dividend / Transfers From GTB Savings Account To Other Banks Is Now Enabled

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.