Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,237 members, 7,957,560 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 02:36 PM

Restructuring: Why Buhari Directed Debate To National Assembly – Aide - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Restructuring: Why Buhari Directed Debate To National Assembly – Aide (855 Views)

EXCLUSIVE: Buhari Drops Ita Enang As National Assembly Aide, Picks Replacement / 2019 Budget Debate To Begin On Wednesday — Saraki / How Buhari Directed Me To Initiate Shehu Sani ‘s Recall From Senate – El-rufai (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Restructuring: Why Buhari Directed Debate To National Assembly – Aide by deji17: 11:28pm On Sep 17, 2017
Restructuring: Why Buhari directed debate to National Assembly – Aide

September 17, 2017

Premium Times

The Senior Special Assistant to President Muhammadu Buhari on National Assembly Matters (Senate), Ita Enang, said the president directed restructuring agitations to the legislature because of his belief in due process.
According to Mr. Enang, restructuring is a constitutional matter and the legislature deals with review of the constitution and should, therefore, handle any issue that calls for change of law.
Mr. Buhari had in his national broadcast on his return from medical leave in London said that the National Assembly and National Council of State were the legitimate and appropriate bodies to handle issues of restructuring.
The president directed all agitations to both bodies in line with statutory responsibilities they had.
Mr. Enang said at a News Agency of Nigeria Forum in Abuja that because restructuring meant different things to different people and groups, and may require constitutional amendment, only the National Assembly could deal with it.
He said that the legislature needed to receive the demands on different aspects of restructuring, debate on them and come out with the best recommendations.
“That is why the president said `look, we are a government sworn in under the constitution, anything you want done must necessarily be as required by the constitution.
“`I cannot as chief executive, as head of government, do a thing that is different from what the constitution says. I and have no power to amend the constitution.

“`The person who has power to amend the constitution is the legislature and they are handling the process.
“’Please whatever you want done I will do it so long as it will be done as approved by the legislature and it goes through the entire process that is needed by the constitution to amend it.’
“That is why the president said that all agitations for restructuring should go to the legislature,’’ he said.
The presidential aide said while some people saw restructuring as removing control over land from the governors and vesting it to the federal government, some saw it demand for state police.
“The man somewhere will say I want to have state police and that is restructuring, and another one will say you cannot have state police.
“His thought is that if you have state police you will use it against your citizens and the interests of the federal government.
“He believes that you may not have the interest of the entire people because you are run by a political party and you will only use it in one way or the other to suit you.’’
Mr. Enang added that some people also viewed restructuring as allowing states to exploit their resources and pay tax to the federal government.
According to him, the man in South-south will say that the restructuring I want is resource control. I want to control my petroleum resources.
“The man in the North will say no, you cannot control it because it is federal resources taken from the ocean which belong to all of us.
“Some will say they can control it because we have solid minerals in the North that they can also control.

“But, some will say no, don’t control because if you do, I will control the food I produced and I will use it to deal and bargain.’’
Mr. Enang, however, advised people with specific demands to forward it to the national assembly.
On why the legislature dropped restructuring in spite of the serious agitations, he said that nobody knew the type of restructuring demand that was presented.
“To my knowledge, most of the people who are quarreling that the legislature did not approve restructuring may not know the level of restructuring that was presented to it.
“However, any bill that was rejected can be represented. So, let any person who wants restructuring present what aspect of restructuring they want to the national assembly,’’ Mr. Enang said.
(NAN)

Re: Restructuring: Why Buhari Directed Debate To National Assembly – Aide by deji17: 11:28pm On Sep 17, 2017
Re: Restructuring: Why Buhari Directed Debate To National Assembly – Aide by tobillionaire(m): 11:34pm On Sep 17, 2017
sits... I'll com comment tomorrow
Re: Restructuring: Why Buhari Directed Debate To National Assembly – Aide by Nobody: 11:47pm On Sep 17, 2017
Passing the buck, kicking the can down the road. A process designed to lead to failure. Fulanis are indid very clever.

1 Like

Re: Restructuring: Why Buhari Directed Debate To National Assembly – Aide by aolawale025: 11:50pm On Sep 17, 2017
Nothing tangible can be achieved by the NA as presently composed. It's a big waste of time. The earlier a conference is composed the better

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Restructuring: Why Buhari Directed Debate To National Assembly – Aide by masseratti: 12:52am On Sep 18, 2017
Enag is clever by half

1 Like

Re: Restructuring: Why Buhari Directed Debate To National Assembly – Aide by deji17: 2:29am On Sep 18, 2017
aolawale025:
Nothing tangible can be achieved by the NA as presently composed. It's a big waste of time. The earlier a conference is composed the better

Why do we enjoy going in circles? Whatever is decided at the conference still has to be sent to NASS to be debated.
Re: Restructuring: Why Buhari Directed Debate To National Assembly – Aide by olamefun1990(m): 3:36am On Sep 18, 2017
It is surprising that people are demanding "restructuring" from the president. Today they accuse him of using executive power, tomorrow they accuse him of not using it. I bet that 99.9 percent of those clamoring for "restructuring" don't know what it means to begin with. I wait on anyone who can reasonably present his /er argument.

1 Like

Re: Restructuring: Why Buhari Directed Debate To National Assembly – Aide by Paperwhite(m): 4:35am On Sep 18, 2017
Nobody needs any futher explanation to grasp that the present Nigerian structure is defective and dangerously tilting towards the cliff. undecided So what Nigeria needs to do to avoid this impasse is a sovereign national conference devoid of any governors or NASS interference.This is because this useless entities are the major beneficiary of a United Nigeria hence will do everything possible to maintain the status quo while the ordinary Nigerian continues to suffer.After all they never really care. cry cry
Re: Restructuring: Why Buhari Directed Debate To National Assembly – Aide by Nobody: 6:24am On Sep 18, 2017
userious country
Re: Restructuring: Why Buhari Directed Debate To National Assembly – Aide by fergie001: 6:25am On Sep 18, 2017
A very good call by a Government that obeys the constitution.

Sir,
Why is the proscription of a particular group as terrorists not before the NA?

Sir,the Fulani herdsmen known as International terrorists, according to Dambazzau are freedom fighters,should that also be in for the NA?

Sir,can you help us with the antiterrorism act,2011 as amended,chapter 2(c),what it means?

Sir,you have been working assiduously for the harmonisation of the FG and NA,but should the amount recovered by the EFCC not before the NA?

Sir,I saw something about Saraki been wrong(surprised it was on NL front page),based on some contradictory statements by a divisive individual,what is your take as a former Senator,Sir?

Sir,terrorism is the unlawful use of violence and intimidation to harm a group of people especially civilians.
The group(whose leader should be allowed his day in court for speeches that have overwhelmed the police)says they are a violent-free group,which was pooh-poohed by the S/E Governors and Army hierarchy,what is your personal take as a politician with morals?

Sir,lastly,can you in your position as SA to the President on NA matters,confirm or deny if a receipt has been sent to a Judge by the IG,FG or Attorney-General of the Federation on behalf of the proscription as articulated in 2(c)?

Thank You,Sir.
May God Bless you,and grant you the Grace to guide the President wisely.
Re: Restructuring: Why Buhari Directed Debate To National Assembly – Aide by aolawale025: 8:27am On Sep 18, 2017
deji17:

Why do we enjoy going in circles? Whatever is decided at the conference still has to be sent to NASS to be debated.

Doesn't have to be that way.
Re: Restructuring: Why Buhari Directed Debate To National Assembly – Aide by moninuola65: 9:05am On Sep 18, 2017
olamefun1990:
It is surprising that people are demanding "restructuring" from the president. Today they accuse him of using executive power, tomorrow they accuse him of not using it. I bet that 99.9 percent of those clamoring for "restructuring" don't know what it means to begin with. I wait on anyone who can reasonably present his /er argument.
The problem of Nigeria is ignorant,
Nigerian believe ignorant end with illiterate,
but no, those who can read and write were more ignorant than those illiterates.
Don't be deceived by the tittle of.. Dr. PhD or Prof.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Restructuring: Why Buhari Directed Debate To National Assembly – Aide by moninuola65: 9:15am On Sep 18, 2017
Paperwhite:
Nobody needs any futher explanation to grasp that the present Nigerian structure is defective and dangerously tilting towards the cliff. undecided So what Nigeria needs to do to avoid this impasse is a sovereign national conference devoid of any governors or NASS interference.This is because this useless entities are the major beneficiary of a United Nigeria hence will do everything possible to maintain the status quo while the ordinary Nigerian continues to suffer.After all they never really care. cry cry
why you people refused the lawful process,
are we no longer in Democracy?
No political trick or wayo can give you any thing in politics,
you go through due process!
other wise it's anarchy!
i. Constitution
ii. People's mandate.
why American didn't always organise conference for any issue arriving?
the same way kanu carry out his agitation,
can't we learn for once?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Restructuring: Why Buhari Directed Debate To National Assembly – Aide by moninuola65: 9:23am On Sep 18, 2017
aolawale025:
we having nothing more to do in this country than conference?
if you didn't trust National Assembly,
Can't you have people's mandate through any political party you trusted that have Restructuring manifesto?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Restructuring: Why Buhari Directed Debate To National Assembly – Aide by aolawale025: 9:29am On Sep 18, 2017
moninuola65:

we having nothing more to do in this country than conference?
if you didn't trust National Assembly,
Can't you have people's mandate through any political party you trusted that have Restructuring manifesto?

APC (I didn't vote for then because I saw thru the lies) has Restructuring in its manifesto). Where are we today?
Re: Restructuring: Why Buhari Directed Debate To National Assembly – Aide by moninuola65: 9:37am On Sep 18, 2017
aolawale025:

APC (I didn't vote for then because I saw thru the lies) has Restructuring in its manifesto). Where are we today?
But Atiku is the father of restructure in Nigeria, can't you voted him into power to restructure Nigeria for you, when Apc didn't have restructure agenda?
Trump had American mandate to sweep Obama care into dustbin!
that's Democracy!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Restructuring: Why Buhari Directed Debate To National Assembly – Aide by moninuola65: 9:38am On Sep 18, 2017
Danielmoore:
userious country
you people think you can force your failed manifestos on Buhari?

1 Like

Re: Restructuring: Why Buhari Directed Debate To National Assembly – Aide by deji17: 3:05pm On Sep 18, 2017
Paperwhite:

Which law will back that conference? You cannot do things outside the constitution..

(1) (Reply)

Buhari Arrives UNGA For Opening Ceremony And Debate [PHOTOS] / Fayose Number One Destroyer Of PDP – Senator Kashamu / Let Me Shock You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.