Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,651 members, 7,809,457 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:58 AM

If You Find It Difficult To Write Better, One Of These May Be The Reason - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / If You Find It Difficult To Write Better, One Of These May Be The Reason (381 Views)

Two Pro Steps To Follow To Write Better And Faster / After These You Would Have Known How To Write Better / What Is The Most Difficult Book You've Ever Read? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

If You Find It Difficult To Write Better, One Of These May Be The Reason by marenx: 9:52am On Sep 18, 2017
If you find it difficult to write better, one of these may be the reason

I've ever said most successful, Nigerian digital writers don't make friends with Nigerian writers—they work with whites.

The reason could be:

First, they don't want to write for local audience alone: now the world is a global village.

Secondly, you can't write a good story if you're not reading one. This means, the quality of your writing depends on the quality of the writing you read.

Writing is like song. If you always listen to bad songs, you'll love them and take them as your favorite. If you love modern, local music, for example, you won't believe they're of low standard—though not all of them.

To write better I don't only read Nigerian writers like Chimamanda Ngozi Edichie, JP Clerk, Chinua Achebe, Wole Soyinka; I read European, American, Ghanaian and South African writers as well. These are apart from dozens of blogs I read about writing.

Thirdly, if you have a Twitter account, if you search for #writing, the result may be: whites appearance talking about writing are 98%.

Where are Nigerians?

Because—with oral tradition dominating everywhere—many Nigerians are still yet to love writing, you'll discover you've to make friends with whites to get the kind of recognition you deserve.

I'm not an exception. Almost all my friends on Twitter are white writers and publishers.

The fact is if you follow Nigerian writers on Twitter, sooner or latter you'll realise one is not consistent. Today he's a writer. Tomorrow he's a sport enthusiast. Next he's a political commentator. Assuming you follow him for updates about his writing journey—as white writers usually do—he's now no more important.

The final point is, local audience discourage aspiring writers because they too don't understand the difference between good and bad writing. If a blind man leads a blind man, you know, the result is...both will fall.

From“You can read to change the World. You can as well teach your Little Friends to read.” by Maren John Mafuyai

“When editing, remove all buts and ands from the beginnings of the sentence. After it rests, you’ll know whether you need them or not.” Maren John Mafuyai

“Write and keep away—write and keep away. Then read. Editing process comes last. Then throw away. Let it rest.” Maren John Mafuyai.

Follow him on Twitter to get more writing advice: https://mobile.twitter.com /account

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

The Message - Flash Fiction / ACROMOTOPHILIA (A Poem) By Dave90 / Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.