Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,329 members, 7,819,132 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:42 AM

A Call For Secession? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Call For Secession? (435 Views)

Biafra: Aisha Buhari, Igbo Women Say No To Calls For Secession / Biafra: INEC Speaks On Calls For Secession, Election Boycott / Opinion: Concerning Biafra And The Igbo Agitation For Secession (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Call For Secession? by bobofellaini(m): 11:19am On Sep 18, 2017
WHY ARE WE HERE?
I have been following the developments emanating from our political locale for quite a while now with extremely keen interest especially the continuous agitation for secession. I suppose, as a true Nigerian, who looks beyond the present situation we have directly and indirectly created for ourselves due to our much concern about political, religious and tribal differences, it is high time I unequivocally mentioned my own view and suggested panacea to the seemingly lingering problem.
To start with, we should stop dwelling on the fact that historically, it was late Sir Lord Luggard that brought this avoidable problem upon us which was supposedly born from the amalgamation he initiated in 1914. Need I say that God has the reason for bringing us together as an entity despite the arrays of our divides. Arguably, Luggard was just used by God to actualize such mission.
As a Yoruba man having Igbos as my closest friends, I have been privileged to visit a lot of major towns and cities in the North and South West- Rijiya Sambo and Dorowa in Sokoto, Sabongari in Kano, Monday market in Maiduguri, Victory road and Church road in Suleja, Orile and Surulere in Lagos just to mention a few. I am always proud of how Igbos happily transformed these areas among others to their abode not thinking they are not in the East. The aftermath of such transformation is visible socio-economic development in such cities.
Majority of the Igbos I know (though there are always ‘bad eggs’ even among all tribes in Nigeria) are naturally industrious, lively and adaptive (they can stay and do their businesses anywhere they know they can make ends meet). These are just three of the colossal qualities they possess. They do not rely on the politicians to dictate the way they survive for them. They troop out in millions to different destination across the country and beyond every year to look for greener pastures.
Why then should we subject ourselves to be used and wasted by the political big guns who care only about banking on our ignorance to achieve their personal aggrandizement? Why will somebody with overseas residence who can run away in the darkest part of the night when conflagration is hot use us to enrich his bank account with multimillion rewards from his Principals? How many of his relatives lost their lives in this struggle?
With these, we need to have a rethink as this will wake us up to the reality that our so-called political office holders, not only from the South East but across the country are our main problem. Do we bother to wage war against our non-performing Ministers, Governors, Senators, Chairmen, Traditional Rulers, Honourables etc . Just 40% of the fund they are pocketing from the National treasury alone can register our country in the comity of the advanced countries of the world.
To this end, I beg to ask- do we need to subject ourselves to avoidable loss of lives and property due to the ignorance that every so-called struggle in Nigeria, be it Boko Haram, IPOB, Niger Delta campaigns etc have political undertone? Our astuteness and discernment is urgently needed in this wise. Secession is not the solution to our problems. Restructuring would have been a better option but also at the mercy of our greedy politicians because they will enjoy more out of it. Until we learn and are ready to hold our egocentric leaders accountable for their misdeeds while holding political powers, our problem may have come to stay for unforeseeable future.
GOD BLESS US ALL AND MAY GOD ALMIGHTY CONSOLE THE FAMILIES OF THE PEOPLE WHO RECENTLY DIED IN THE STRUGGLES.
Source: crowndiet..com
Re: A Call For Secession? by bobofellaini(m): 11:19am On Sep 18, 2017
May God help us.
Re: A Call For Secession? by irenosen22(f): 2:04pm On Sep 24, 2017
bobofellaini:
May God help us.
Amen

(1) (Reply)

President Buhari Arrives New York For UN General Assembly (WATCH VIDEO) / Facts About The First And Only Igbo Party In Nigeria / Biafra: Fani-kayode Warns Buhari To Take Advice From Obasanjo, Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.