Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,701 members, 7,820,448 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:05 PM

Kiswahili Should Be Made The Official African Language - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Kiswahili Should Be Made The Official African Language (9371 Views)

The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni / The Official Ukwuani Thread: Ukwuani Bu Ani Eze / The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kiswahili Should Be Made The Official African Language by ChinenyeN(m): 4:14am On Mar 07, 2010
The perception of the world isn't a good enough reason. As for family, I've already stated that Africans don't see each others' identity as synonymous with their own. We don't see each other as family. Simple. Try another argument.

How is loyalty to one's people not advisable? What is it exactly about the state of things in Africa that makes it not advisable?
Re: Kiswahili Should Be Made The Official African Language by ezeagu(m): 4:52am On Mar 07, 2010
ChinenyeN:

The perception of the world isn't a good enough reason. As for family, I've already stated that Africans don't see each others' identity as synonymous with their own. We don't see each other as family. Simple. Try another argument.

You're saying Africans don't see each other as a family, and you see that as a good thing because?

ChinenyeN:

How is loyalty to one's people not advisable? What is it exactly about the state of things in Africa that makes it not advisable?

Because when your community was being invaded by the British, which it probably was, there were probably people asking these questions instead of banding together with their fellow Africans and defending themselves against colonialism, and this is inside just one ethnic group. Fast forward to present day and this same thinking will give Chinas neo-colonialism an open doorway. While you may think your community's destiny has no link to that of another African community's (which is on the same land), we will see if desertification, neo-colonialism, unfair trade, even slave trading will elide your community simply because they do not 'follow' the African continent. The same thinking was the reason neighboring community's in Africa actually waged war on each other just to garner slaves for trade.
Re: Kiswahili Should Be Made The Official African Language by ChinenyeN(m): 5:35am On Mar 07, 2010
Who said I see this as a good thing? Stop making hasty assertions. I neither see it as a good or bad thing. Instead, to me it just is, and it can have both good and bad results. But it isn't necessarily a good or bad thing.

You're making too many hasty assertions, Ezeagu. First of all, my community, and people were not invaded. Colonized, yes, but not invaded. Second, our destinies are connected, but not the same. So my people are my priority. For that reason, I will make an effort to first secure my people before becoming concerened about other groups. Simple. That does not mean that I cannot work with other Africans. I have no problem working with Africans. I just won't do it simply because they're Africans.
Re: Kiswahili Should Be Made The Official African Language by lipuka(m): 6:53pm On Mar 08, 2010
We are talking about the official language for Africa,
Re: Kiswahili Should Be Made The Official African Language by ChinenyeN(m): 7:51pm On Mar 08, 2010
Africa has no official language.
Re: Kiswahili Should Be Made The Official African Language by asha80(m): 9:58pm On Mar 08, 2010
lipuka:

We are talking about the official language for Africa,

What is the official language of europe
Re: Kiswahili Should Be Made The Official African Language by lipuka(m): 9:19am On Mar 09, 2010
Believe me, I would have no problem if each country agreed on an official language of it's own, as is the case in Europe. Wgat I object to is the use of European languages in Africa. I have no problem learning Yourubas or Hausa, or Wollof, or Mandingo, Ewe, Asante, Zulu. Xosa etc. But I find it embarrassing that we in Africa have to communicate with each other in noin-African languages
Re: Kiswahili Should Be Made The Official African Language by ChinenyeN(m): 1:11pm On Mar 09, 2010
Okay, now you've really got my attention.
So keep going, what is your plan for kicking out European languages?
Re: Kiswahili Should Be Made The Official African Language by lipuka(m): 6:47pm On Mar 09, 2010
No problem Chinenyen. We all make mistakes. Friends?
Re: Kiswahili Should Be Made The Official African Language by ezeagu(m): 12:29am On Mar 10, 2010
lipuka:

I would have no problem if each country agreed on an official language of it's own

That's not going to happen anytime soon in Nigeria and a few other African countries.
Re: Kiswahili Should Be Made The Official African Language by lipuka(m): 8:57am On Mar 11, 2010
You arev right Ezeagu
Re: Kiswahili Should Be Made The Official African Language by lipuka(m): 9:01am On Mar 11, 2010
They may not speak their language, but they speak their language. Why don't you get it?
Re: Kiswahili Should Be Made The Official African Language by lipuka(m): 9:02am On Mar 11, 2010
We are all the same. Diversity is not difference
Re: Kiswahili Should Be Made The Official African Language by ChinenyeN(m): 12:53pm On Mar 11, 2010
lipuka:

No problem Chinenyen. We all make mistakes. Friends?
Lipuka, no worries. We were never enemies to begin with.
Re: Kiswahili Should Be Made The Official African Language by lipuka(m): 10:41am On Mar 14, 2010
Thanks I have been to Naija and the peopl there are very friendly, asomething to do with Nigerian hospitality
Re: Kiswahili Should Be Made The Official African Language by morpheus24: 3:07pm On Mar 16, 2010
Personally I think the languages should be regional as that would make more sense in terms of historical, cultural and language similarities.

For example Southern Africans have intonations that are difficult for West Africans to pick up easily (e.g incoporated click sounds) and likewise in East Africa pronunciations and vowel sounds are different as well.

Case in point it would be easier for me to pic up the twi language in Ghana than it would for me to pic up the Xhosa language in Southern Africa

Lets work on regional blocs first before screaming one African language no?
Re: Kiswahili Should Be Made The Official African Language by lipuka(m): 6:24pm On Mar 16, 2010
I believe that could also be the right way, as long as the regions agree to a neutral language which is not foreign to Africa
Re: Kiswahili Should Be Made The Official African Language by morpheus24: 7:03pm On Mar 16, 2010
lipuka:

I believe that could also be the right way, as long as the regions agree to a neutral language which is not foreign to Africa

don't forget language is dynamic and changes form as time goes on. Any language adopted will still have elements of outside influences.

Case inpoint. Amharic is semi asiatic but fully spoken in Ethiopia.
Re: Kiswahili Should Be Made The Official African Language by lipuka(m): 10:48am On Mar 17, 2010
Very true. But as long as it is Afreican in origini,
Re: Kiswahili Should Be Made The Official African Language by yemipretty(f): 4:23pm On Apr 01, 2010
I think poster needs to revamp her knowledge of geography. Africa is a continent made up of many countries. The reason why adopting kiswahili (sounds like that thing people do when they put 2 mouths together grin grin) is because AFRICA IS A CONTINENT.
France is a country, Germany is a country, italy is a country. same as all the examples mentioned by the poster. Africa is a continent.

1 Like

Re: Kiswahili Should Be Made The Official African Language by lipuka(m): 11:40am On Apr 03, 2010
Yermipretty, Geography was a subject I did and passed very well in school. And I know that the world is now a smaller place than it was before. Travelling is jusst a few hours and we communicate with each other all the time. So we need a common language in Africa, just as we use English inretnationally
Re: Kiswahili Should Be Made The Official African Language by ezeagu(m): 12:05am On May 04, 2010
yemipretty:

France is a country, Germany is a country, italy is a country. same as all the examples mentioned by the poster. Africa is a continent.

How does that translate to African countries: Nigeria: English, Angola: Portuguese, Ghana: English.
Re: Kiswahili Should Be Made The Official African Language by lipuka(m): 8:40am On May 04, 2010
Abd that is why we need our own indigenous languiage to communicate with each other. Else we will never be truly free
Re: Kiswahili Should Be Made The Official African Language by meobizy(f): 3:07pm On Jun 30, 2020
If you don't like English we'll speak West African pidgin. I know too many languages already to give myself a headache. Besides many Africans are quick to sell their brothers off so I'll prefer to experience a foreign land on my own.
Re: Kiswahili Should Be Made The Official African Language by RedboneSmith(m): 3:21pm On Jun 30, 2020
Lmao.

Let them keep that Arabic-tainted language of a formerly slave-trading caste there in Bantu Africa. Us in West Africa will have nothing to do with it. I'll pick Hausa a hundred times over before I even glance at Kiswahili.

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Would Like To Know Some About Igbo Traditions / . / Okete Abami Loje Ninu Awon Eranko

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.