Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,497 members, 7,770,235 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 07:55 AM

The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. (82894 Views)

Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language / The Isoko People Of Delta State : Facts & Factlets / What Do You Know About Isoko People Of Delta State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by icezik1(m): 5:32pm On Mar 14, 2008
I'm an Isoko guy and noticed a lack of Isoko related threads, so I decided to start this one. If you're Isoko, post which LGA and village/town you are from.

I'm from Isoko North LGA and I'm from Ozoro town.

[size=16pt]Isoko Wadooo[/size]

2 Likes

Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by tpia: 5:45pm On Mar 14, 2008
you say you're not Urhobo?

I thought Wadoo is an Urhobo word?

I'm a curious person- no mind me.

1 Like

Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by echelon(m): 10:29am On Mar 15, 2008
Isoko kwenu! Eyaaa

1 Like

Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by liftedone(f): 10:17pm On Mar 15, 2008
i'm from isoko south.
@tpia, we have similarities with the urhobos in our language, so "wadoo" is one of those words.
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by tpia: 4:38am On Mar 16, 2008
liftedone:

i'm from isoko south.
@tpia, we have similarities with the urhobos in our language, so "wadoo" is one of those words.

thanks.

so many tribes in Delta state. And many of the languages are so similar one would think they're a dialect of some other major one.

1 Like

Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by ifyalways(f): 10:09pm On Mar 16, 2008
Isoko wa doo grin
lara omo ochare !
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by olanajim(m): 6:32am On Mar 17, 2008
What does that mean? Ify? You made me enter the tread. Can you teach the language?
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by icezik1(m): 10:28am On Mar 17, 2008
That's a major problem with most of the younger generation of Isoko people. We don't speak the language espeacially those of us in urban areas. I would love to learn as well. None of my Isoko friends can speak beyond the basics of the language.

tpia:

thanks.

so many tribes in Delta state. And many of the languages are so similar one would think they're a dialect of some other major one.

Nah, Isoko and Urhorbo maybe very similar but they are still different tribes kinda like the Spanish and Portuguese
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by ifyalways(f): 6:58pm On Mar 17, 2008
@Olajinam
am not perfect ooo,just learnt the basics from my granny cool
lara/vara omo ochare means come here boy.lol
dont know if i got the spellings though.

Now,wey all those Isoko bros dem dey?
Isoko wa doo cheesy
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by Nobody: 7:28pm On Mar 17, 2008
ify you're a true Nigerian.
mom from onitsha,grandma Isoko,dad Abia state.
make you marry awusa man complete the whole equation

1 Like

Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by ifyalways(f): 7:36pm On Mar 17, 2008
wonder where that statistics came from undecided
so incorrect it is too.
@topic,aseloboku vara hehe,my spellings na die grin
meko vara give me egusi pepersoup + tinko cheesy
where all the bonafide Isoko ppl dey sef ? sad
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by Nobody: 7:40pm On Mar 17, 2008
you said so yourself.
you said your mom was Onitsha and dad Aro
now grandma Isoko
your words not mine
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by ifyalways(f): 7:46pm On Mar 17, 2008
ME shocked Ifeoma told you that my granny is from Isoko
offline abi online
wonderful assumptions
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by liftedone(f): 11:15pm On Mar 17, 2008
I thot this was an Isoko thread? What's nwando, olanajim and ifyalways doing here (ify r u sure you know what you are saying? It looks more urhoboish than isoko to me. please confirm your granny's ethnicity, this one when u just dey murder whatever language for here.)

Ice_zik, unfortunately, isoko being a minority language, is dying quicker than most other languages because many parents are bringing up their children speaking english language. I can speak but can neither read nor write the language, which really pains me because I see my yoruba friends who can read their yoruba bibles and pray fluently in yoruba and say the grace in yoruba, which i cannot do. Imagine only being able to read and write in English when I no be oyinbo. I feel sad about it.
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by olanajim(m): 6:24am On Mar 18, 2008
Liftedone,
I am not Isoko. I thought the thread is to propagate Isoko language and culture? Or is it just for gossip?

We have friends among you and want to learn your languages too. The only way you can prevent the language from dying is to encourage non native to learn it. Isn't that how Hausa and Yoruba attained national spread?
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by olanajim(m): 6:25am On Mar 18, 2008
Ifyalways,
thanks you. What is "thank you" in Isoko?
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by icezik1(m): 9:56am On Mar 18, 2008
@olanajim

I'm not sure exactly what thank you is but I usually say our greeting if I receive anything from an elder. The greeting is "digwo" (not sure about the spelling) which is similar to "migwo" in urhobo (also not sure about the spelling).

@liftedone

I feel your pain. Who knows, maybe if we are lucky someone who can read and write in the language will come on this thread and teach us, at least the basics, that would be great. (I use this opportunity to ask someone out there to [b][size=16pt]PLEASE [/size][/b]help!!!!!!)
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by icezik1(m): 10:15am On Mar 18, 2008
@liftedone

By the way, you didn't say which town you were from? Maybe we're long lost cousins? grin
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by ifyalways(f): 7:09pm On Mar 18, 2008
lol
lifedone i always tot Urhoba and Isoko are same  cheesy
nyways i just love the lang. sha and wudnt mind learning from you guys.Yeah i know "migwo" is urhobo and the reply is "vre doo" lol
i have heard of the names "Ego" in your part,why ?any connection to igbo?
what about "biko" or "mego" for please?
"oyile" for a fair person(oyinbo) lol
. . . .love your lang,food and way of life kiss
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by TheSly: 7:12pm On Mar 18, 2008
I don't know none of those language embarassed
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by liftedone(f): 10:20pm On Mar 18, 2008
zik, leave that town matter. just know say na somewhere near oleh.
ifyalways, i fear you. which kind 'murder' you dey commit with my mother tongue? Na waoh.
olanajim, feel free to visit this thread o, it's not for any kind of gossip. i didn't see any gossip here sha.
Sly, me too I no send you o. No wonder you end up for Baghdad. Watch your back, mate.
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by ifyalways(f): 10:28pm On Mar 18, 2008
Liftedone i am begining to suspect that you don't even know how to speak the lang  cheesy
correct me now or what 
havent you heard of "oyile" "ego" as a name and "beko/meko"
i fear ooooooooooooooooooh murder this and that,you sef father the lang nah tongue
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by liftedone(f): 11:04pm On Mar 18, 2008
ifybabes, i talk say i fit speak, but all this your "meko/beko" when you dey write, na jingle bells for me sha. BTW, how u take know those words? Me too I dey hail you o! Igbo kwenu!!
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by ifyalways(f): 7:52pm On Mar 19, 2008
lol
Ok what is pls in your lang? lets start from there
what again do you call someone who is fair in complexion? grin

Migwo !

1 Like

Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by icezik1(m): 9:51am On Mar 20, 2008
@ifyalways

its digwo in Isoko! yeah,

@liftedone,

teach us everything u know!
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by ifyalways(f): 6:34pm On Mar 20, 2008
Oh really?thanks
where is liftedone now?come and teach us now. tongue
digwo cheesy
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by komekn(m): 8:19pm On Mar 20, 2008
Is Isoko a tribe or an area ? at the initial stage Isoko was called Eastern Uhrobo when a local government was created in the name Isoko, they than called them a tribe. After much fighting between Oleh and Ozoro for headquarters status
My view the divisions are not helpful,

1 Like

Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by liftedone(f): 11:14pm On Mar 20, 2008
@ifyalways, vredo. Babes, I no wan disgrace myself for here wink. When we meet ehn!
@komekn, I see we have a historian here. Can you enlighten us further? Not that it matters any which way, cos even some towns are now agitating for their own local governement areas as well. That has not solved the problem of development, though.
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by komekn(m): 5:02pm On Mar 21, 2008
liftdone,
In the political discourse at that time I am talking before independence, my father was an executive member of the Eastern Uhrobo union at the time; they did not consider Isoko a tribe but an area within Uhrobo land, just like Okpe, Etc.

Again if you look at the historical origins of the various villages, towns, and hamlets that make up Isoko/ Uhrobo land, some came from Benin Empire and some from the Igbo Kingdoms.

For instance Ehnwe in Isoko, in the days of my Grandfather, one section of the village or rather town was referred to the Igbo end. Indeed further research substantiates this as the founder Ehnwe was an Igbo prince from Onitsha. This prince was ostracised and banished from his kingdom, and subsequently created the settlement of Ehnwe.

Consider the amount of Isoko/ Uhrobo people with Igbo names tells the story in itself.

Therefore there is fusion in their origins and not separation.
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by olanajim(m): 11:48am On Mar 22, 2008
Interesting!
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by ifyalways(f): 9:24pm On Mar 22, 2008
thank you komken. i said it b4 cheesy.the Isokos bear names like EGO (though i guess it doesnt have the same meaning with igbo "ego"wink and some of their pronouncements sound igboish . . .i knew there must be some lirrrrle connection. tongue

liftedone no p.vredoooooooooooooooooooooooo grin
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by olanajim(m): 12:47am On Mar 23, 2008
Ify, do you mind using this medium to teach me the language? I promised myself to learn it and surprise my friend. Can you help?

What does this "wadoo" mean? What is the most courteus way to greet in isoko?

Let start from there. That is the greetings.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

131-year-old "Iya Orisa" Living Under Olumo Rock - Photos / The Koma People Of Adamawa State In Pictures / Ooni Ogunwusi Customizes His Rolls Royce Ahead Of Coronation (pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.