Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,903 members, 7,952,641 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 08:06 PM

My New Cucumber Farm - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My New Cucumber Farm (18957 Views)

My Profitable Cucumber Farm . / My Cucumber Farm Dairy / Lady Shows Her Cucumber Farm In Anambra As She Goes For Harvest (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My New Cucumber Farm by Nobody: 4:06pm On Jan 25, 2018
jerryadindu123:
@Fluentinfor Sir I tried sending u a mail. Pls have u got signal. I really need a guide on marketing cucumber as I explain to you earlier. Thanks

I always reply all my mails. I responded to the first, and I have just replied the second. If you do not get it, nairaland email system may be having issues. Some users have complained about it too
Re: My New Cucumber Farm by domack99(m): 8:56pm On Jan 26, 2018
Itydee:
I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THE FARM. SECURITY ISSUES AND COMUNITY WORKERS WAHALA.

Sorry bro, Niger Deltans and their wahala, my friend in Warri ran away from his plantain farm three months ago, his wife was held hostage for some hours on the farm for some time before she was release.

Threat left right and center from those cult guys, dey no burn the guy well make him reach the farm again.
Re: My New Cucumber Farm by FarmTech(m): 2:01am On Jan 27, 2018
Sorry op, if u dont hav river go for drip. I didnt read well
Re: My New Cucumber Farm by ozochuks: 6:27am On Jan 29, 2018
fluentnfor pls pls wia are u,I actually want to go into cucumber farm and I need guidance 08060078399 pls just add me up make we take
Re: My New Cucumber Farm by Itydee(m): 4:37pm On Jan 29, 2018
This fluentinfor of a man you amaze me in many ways. You are so adamant and compassionate. I can see you feel my loss. You are such complex being. Flogging on one hand and soothing with compassion with the other hand. I wouldn't be able to come over to Ogun State to do farming for now.. . All the same I appreciate the gesture. I already have 20 hectres in Ogbomosho where they are doing plantain and cashew trees for me. I appreciate your concern for me and will also request you gently guide me. I will break even and failure has never been in my dictionary. So the irrigation story we were discussing will continue and we can assimilate the required parts for a seamless take off.
fluentinfor:
Deep inside me I feel your pain. I have worked in different parts of Nigeria. I closed one of my farms earlier this month myself. It feels not so good. It is not over.

Just that you are in PH...hmmm. I would have gladly invited you to a colleague's farm in Ogun State to use up to an acre. I know I can make my friend release one acre or more. Expenses will be reduced because water source is a clean river. But I always work with drip irrigation and I can welcome anyone who is willing to fix the farm like a modern farmer. You learn how to reduce cost of production, how to handle farm workers (they are parasites, where to pick up farm inputs, etc.) First trial might be tough, but with second attempt using good workers, one will easily breakthrough. Learn + Make Profit.

What can I say? I pray you recover your loss. AMEN!
Re: My New Cucumber Farm by Nobody: 6:31am On Jan 31, 2018
ozochuks:
fluentnfor pls pls wia are u,I actually want to go into cucumber farm and I need guidance 08060078399 pls just add me up make we take

We are extremely busy at this time. I have close to 15 farms under my supervision. And I have my personal farm of over 9 acres for just vegetables. Telephone signals can be terrible many times. Hence, I may be offline for 2 to 3 days.

Well, when I come online and talk to people, I really want to interact with people who are ready. Almost everyone I have talked to via nairaland has not impressed me. They all do not have cash to even buy just drip for one plot. I have no time to waste. People still come to ask what to do if there is no drip? I do not have such time at all.

Like I said, we are not ready to get Agric done in this part of the world. It is 2018, yet people want to farm like how farmers did it in 1900. And they want huge harvest. They buy expensive seeds, but want to use old methods to grow them. Instead of them to find cheap seeds and use modern methods to grow them. Lols..the way we think is just funny. Rich men who are sellers of products/services have a way to make users think in a way to make them richer. And it is what politicians do too.

Even the environment still encourages non mechanized farming. Like 70% of the farms I am presently in charged are all with artisans who use hoes and cutlasses; hence land preparation is taking forever. We cannot move in tractors cos it's only bike that can enter the farms, but we deliberately picked land with river because fuel scarcity can be terrible at times. Most land with river have bad road network. You see, we have to leave land that are close to the city with good road network because we are scared fuel scarcity can destroy our farms again like the experience we had last year December where we lost over N7 million naira sales. Yes, you heard it.

Please, I have no time to start discussing how to use watering cans, cheap sprinklers, or install 1,000 liters tanks and connect to rain gun, etc.

Send me your plan. Let me know what exactly you intend buying and your budget. Use the email option provided by nairaland. I will respond to your email if I find your plan interesting.

I hope you understand my point. It's not arrogancy or pride. Too many people consult me. I am not interested in collecting one kobo for such at this time, but when it gets to a time that i cannot control it again, I will use money to push many away. And i am sure when 99% hear that pay N200,000 before I even say A, they will pick race. Even just N1,000 is able to push 70% away. Lol. For now, I can still manage the situation by not making myself available everytime.

And there are another set of people. You get to their farms, they will start controlling many things. I have tolerated many of such cos I usually do not ask for any money paid. I allow owners to be in charge of their finance and I give out the sources of purchase. Go there and buy for yourself. At first, you see them going to check prices everywhere to see if i add mine to it, but when they get comfortable, they start pushing some crazy errands on the nice guy. But in all honest truth, if i add to it, am I not justified? Let us be serious here. People just want free stuff forever in this country called Nigeria. It is even why we go for visitation and we do not even bother to buy a single pack of juice for our hosts. Terrible way of way. Our host must give us rice, big meat, red wine etc. We must surely eat in every marriage, child birth, funeral ceremony party. Lol. Anyway, I am done with those set of people.

Again, I tell people, when you setup properly, though, it is unavoidable at times to have challenges. Losses are part of the game. When they start going to mArket, they are full of laughter, but when challenges start coming in, they changed eyes and they do not care again that consultation is free to that point. Even, I put in my money to assist many at times like this, yet, they do not care afterward. The last one I did, just to encourage the owners, I went there to cultivate the farm 100% with my cash. And there were terrible issues again. Some locations are just under curse. Land there can never produce. It is why we must pray well and make proper investigations about locations before putting 1 kobo down. I have seen so much in this life. In this journey, I have met strong traditional powerful people, strong Christian prayerful people, and strong Muslim people too. Power dey. Miracle dey. Things dey happen..pests can be sent to anywhere, rain can be held, strange heat from the Sun can be sent to make it unbearable for any worker on the farm, strong wind can be used to destroy farms, etc. Even, I have seen where birds are chased away with supernatural power.. though, I will not start writing such experiences here cos it's science we are allowed to talk about professionally. But for my household and I, we will never depart from the house of the LORD. I do not engage in such, and I will never. Do not bother to ask me about such, cos I do not know.

There are more outside threats than inside weaknesses in farming. To learn veggie is even like 30% - 40% factor which determines your success. There are too many "road blockages" along the road of success in Agricultural business in Nigeria.

Is it adulterated agricultural inputs (both organic and inorganic)? Organic farmers use copper more than inorganic and I know there are too many fake products. One friend of mine told me that solution is soaking copper wire or plates in some chemical like that. I was like shocked I just told him to be careful. And he has to find a trusted dealer who showed him pure copper wire without additional of other bad chemicals. See, many have injured themselves in this business. And many agricultural products importers will rot in hell. It's not a curse, what they sow, they will reap it. And when it comes, they willl start running to GOs. Daddy Freeze will have more topics to address. grin

My brother/sister, I do not have time to start convincing you to buy this product or that product. Also, I do not have the zeal to start looking at the irrigation accesories you want to import from China. Infact, over 10 people sent me pictures of such from Chinese sellers. And i was shocked how sellers here have wounded buyers. I have pity on buyers but I cannot make recommendation based on pictures or serial numbers of products i know nothing about. What all of them did was to cut out the addresses and contacts of the sellers. Inside me, I just said, "see person asking for assistance and hiding the main info I could have used to help". If i was one of them, I would put the contact of the seller there so that enquiries can be made if the person assisting needed it. But all of them, I mean all.....they all removed the contacts. Trying to hide the sellers. Naija oooooo. I just dey laugh. 10 people contacted me, not a single person showed me the seller's contact there. I am sure some of them want to start selling drips to Nairaland users, so they want to use me to know quality products and then maybe advertise to me to come buy later. Lol. Only 2 of them, I found reasonable. One was even opened that he showed me a seed variety he felt is new. Instantly, i told him i know about the variety. And i even told him that the new variety he felt is a big issue, I know 3 farmers who cultivated it in Nigeria just last year. He was like....huhuhuhu. i can deal with someone like that. Hes eager to learn. No probs. We have farmer here oooo. Silent millionaires. Very silent. Just 1 hectare, they are controlling. We know ourselves.

Anyway, you want me to assist, get ready to buy at least 1 acre drip. That is 4km to 6km. Except you have strong reasons and I can say ok...maybe 2km to start with. If your farm is far from you, it has to be minimum of 1 acre. I have a seller who I can send you to so I can avoid too many questions about drip. This person will give you full details too. Very accommodating man, and always willing to assist anyone.

1 Like

Re: My New Cucumber Farm by Nobody: 7:27am On Jan 31, 2018
I have decided to take a break from Nairaland for some few months so I can concentrate on the projects at hand, and so I can assist the people I have now. Therefore, I will not update here again for some months until I finish this year dry season farming which ends in June/July or August. Maybe, can just drop few posts on rare occasions.

When I return, I intend to open two threads.

1. Economic values and introduction to technical strategy of vegetable production using cucumber, okra and tomatoes as case studies.

2. Relationship between Farmers and Investors with the aim to achieve profit in vegetable production based on my year 2017 - 2018 experience using minimum of 2 scenarios from my diary.

Number 1 will be some kind of technical analysis which I know many consultants will not like out here. Bad market for them. While number 2 will be revealing. How 2017 was a lovely and at the same time a terrible year for me, and what I made up my mind to do. Then, how I do it which is what I am doing presently. Many people hurt me too much last year but in all, there are still very nice people who are still holding on to me and are very supportive. It may not be wise to be too good to people afterall. This was my conclusion for 2017, but I thank God that He had ministered to me to start updating nairaland before the end of 2017; else, I do not think i will be posting here about vegetable farming.

Please, send me email if you have anything to ask or tell me. If i find your content impressive, I will respond.

Blessings!
Re: My New Cucumber Farm by Itydee(m): 7:17pm On Feb 01, 2018
My friend you are not going anywhere.
Give me directions again to where I can buy my drip set. The discussions we had on Whatsaap got deleted by corrupt interaction of my phone by a friend. Send your number again to me so we can continue the discussions we had at hand.
fluentinfor:
I have decided to take a break from Nairaland for some few months so I can concentrate on the projects at hand, and so I can assist the people I have now. Therefore, I will not update here again for some months until I finish this year dry season farming which ends in June/July or August. Maybe, can just drop few posts on rare occasions.

1. Economic values and introduction to technical strategy of vegetable production using cucumber, okra and tomatoes as case studies.

2. Relationship between Farmers and Investors with the aim to achieve profit in vegetable production based on my year 2017 - 2018 experience using minimum of 2 scenarios from my diary.

Number 1 will be some kind of technical analysis which I know many consultants will not like out here. Bad market for them. While number 2 will be revealing. How 2017 was a lovely and at the same time a terrible year for me, and what I made up my mind to do. Then, how I do it which is what I am doing presently. Many people hurt me too much last year but in all, there are still very nice people who are still holding on to me and are very supportive. It may not be wise to be too good to people afterall. This was my conclusion for 2017, but I thank God that He had ministered to me to start updating nairaland before the end of 2017; else, I do not think i will be posting here about vegetable farming.

Please, send me email if you have anything to ask or tell me. If i find your content impressive, I will respond.

Blessings!
Re: My New Cucumber Farm by derecho(m): 5:42pm On Feb 02, 2018
Just stumbled on some of your posts earlier today.God bless you.I have learnt a lot.
fluentinfor:

Blessings!
Re: My New Cucumber Farm by ozochuks: 10:53pm On Feb 04, 2018
fleuntiful can't even find wia to get ur email address if u can just help me by adding me on 08060078399
Re: My New Cucumber Farm by Nobody: 10:14am On Feb 08, 2018
ozochuks:
fleuntiful can't even find wia to get ur email address if u can just help me by adding me on 08060078399

Click my profile. You will see "send email to...." click it and send me email. If there is need for chat after email, I use telegram.
Re: My New Cucumber Farm by Itydee(m): 11:18pm On Feb 16, 2018
I have rested enough. I will start the next phase of my farm
Re: My New Cucumber Farm by jidestroud(m): 8:09am On Feb 17, 2018
Itydee:
I have rested enough. I will start the next phase of my farm
God's speed Bro
Re: My New Cucumber Farm by stocklot(m): 4:33am On Feb 19, 2018
Practical cucumber and watermelon farming .

1 .Try to find good hybrid seeds . They are an important key
2. treat seeds with imidachloropid ( mix 5ml of imidachloropid in a liter of water and let the seeds soak for over 5 minutes before planting . This is essential so that the seeds are not being eaten by ants and insects in the soil .
3. Fungal disease easily attacks watermelons and cucumber plants . Every 15 days spray (mancozeb carbendazim (20 gms per tank)+ monocrotophus 10ml per tank for 8 weeks .If necessary add imidachloropid 10 ml per tank . The manual sprayer has a capacity of 16 lts . If you have a smaller sprayer mix the above in a bigger drum in the above ration and spray.
4.While land preparation apply 1 bag of DAP + 2 bags of super phosphate + 1 bag of urea +2 tons of farm yard manure.This is for an acre .
5. When weeding for the first time use a bag of NPK 17:17:17 and a bag of potash to top up . Make sure not to drop the fertilisers near the root . Potash is highly corrosive .
6. 3rd week spray boron 20 gms per tank
7. 4th week spray a mix of micro nutrients
8. When the melons or cucumbers have started fruiting and are the size of a coconut use a bag of calcium nitrate for the fruits to become big , soft and tasty .

That is all that is needed to know to grow cucumbers and melons successfully

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My New Cucumber Farm by Nobody: 6:52am On Mar 01, 2018
stocklot:
Practical cucumber and watermelon farming .

1 .Try to find good hybrid seeds . They are an important key
2. treat seeds with imidachloropid ( mix 5ml of imidachloropid in a liter of water and let the seeds soak for over 5 minutes before planting . This is essential so that the seeds are not being eaten by ants and insects in the soil .
3. Fungal disease easily attacks watermelons and cucumber plants . Every 15 days spray (mancozeb carbendazim (20 gms per tank)+ monocrotophus 10ml per tank for 8 weeks .If necessary add imidachloropid 10 ml per tank . The manual sprayer has a capacity of 16 lts . If you have a smaller sprayer mix the above in a bigger drum in the above ration and spray.
4.While land preparation apply 1 bag of DAP + 2 bags of super phosphate + 1 bag of urea +2 tons of farm yard manure.This is for an acre .
5. When weeding for the first time use a bag of NPK 17:17:17 and a bag of potash to top up . Make sure not to drop the fertilisers near the root . Potash is highly corrosive .
6. 3rd week spray boron 20 gms per tank
7. 4th week spray a mix of micro nutrients
8. When the melons or cucumbers have started fruiting and are the size of a coconut use a bag of calcium nitrate for the fruits to become big , soft and tasty .

That is all that is needed to know to grow cucumbers and melons successfully

Just wondering why you recommend mixing DAP and SSP as basal fertilizer. Looks strange. I hope you know the content of the two fertilizers.

Also, you need to guard against diseases building resistance to whatever you spray. Your method might be too risky.

Why focus on only boron? Just curious. Why not apply a micro nutrient formular? Some specific plants needs a significant amount of boron, and i am not aware cucumber is one.

Calcium + Pottasium will get your fruits nicer. And it is more of potassium than calcium. Then, you add magnesium.

In general, plant nutrition is same principle for all plants with just minor adjustment. There is no need for specific steps. Mere looking at the plabts, you can identify deficiencies. Better to do tissue test.
Re: My New Cucumber Farm by Nobody: 7:41am On Mar 01, 2018
Just one acre of cucumber can rake in some millions. I do not like to give figures but what I am writing here is very possible.

To achieve this, you need at least 3 months plan which must start now. So, you can sow your seeds by May/June. You will never have any problem selling 35 to 40kg bag at N4,500 to N7,000 at the time of sales.

Just one acre can take minimum of 10,000 plants. If your efficiency is 65% as a beginner and you make 3 fruits per plant (a good farmer should make about 5, and since weather is cool by May, 7 fruits are possible and usage of special nutrient can shoot it to 10 or more).

For beginner:
10,000 plants, 3 fruits per plant, 65% efficiency, 85 fruits per bag: 229 bags. This is very very possible.

Sales:
Remove 10% agent fee + 5% logistics
N1,072,500.
Note: my recommendation can get your agent fee reduced from 10% to around 6% to 8% (Only in Lagos) if your total harvest is huge, or if many people cultivate it at the same time to get huge harvest. Usually, I reserve this benefit for my close friends. grin

I have put even many people through on nairaland without taking one kobo from them. And I found out the most difficult task is sourcing for the right equipment to use. I do not buy for anyone except people I know well. I can only tell you what to buy.

Note: I do not need to meet you to give you reommendation. And you do not need to visit my farm. If you are deligent, you will get it right. You can train yourself for 2 months using just 10 sacks to cultivate cucumber and keep it at your balcony or backyard. I do not subscribe to going into bush to suffer yourself learning cucumber. Do it with your hands and gain confidence before going to the field.

If you are deligent, if you use drip, mulch, fertigation, and follow the right procedure, 400 to 500 bags are possible. 800 to 1,000 may be tough but achievable.

There is huge cash in cucumber epecially at this time of the year that you aren't competing with the big boys from the north. If you "jam" those big boys who use 40ft container to load cucumber to market every 2 or 3 days from the north, you might sell yours at N1,500. grin

If you are willing to go for drip, mulch, fertigation and modern farm set up, I can always assist. Just send an email. It is expensive to set up. Please, if you do not have the cash, there is no need to contact me. I am about precision farming.

There is time for everything.
1. Time to sell cucumber at high price
2. Time to sell tomato at high price
3. Time to cultivate indigenious greens and make thousands
4. Time to think herbs

And finally, time to take vacation to Hawaii, Trinidad and Tobago, or explore historical places like Istanbul, Rome, Jerusalem, Mecca, Moscow, St. Petersburg, Budapest, etc. Or maybe Asia is your choice.

Learn precision veggie farming!

3 Likes

Re: My New Cucumber Farm by Itydee(m): 3:38pm On Mar 06, 2018
Lol,
Thank God our mentor is here again. Fluentifor please Send your number Let us talk business this time. I had walked away from my farm and have rested enough. I have the zeal to start afresh now that intense water and heat are no show stoppers for me.
Call 07034223432
Re: My New Cucumber Farm by Itydee(m): 3:44pm On Mar 06, 2018
Its you I contacted 2 years ago to help me out on my cucumber expedition. You told me you were in Ogbomosho with the guy selling Land there and wouldn't be available to help me in Port Harcourt.
I hope you will be available to help me now I'm very ready and available
jidestroud:

God's speed Bro
Re: My New Cucumber Farm by Beboy23(m): 9:14pm On Mar 06, 2018
Itydee:
Its you I contacted 2 years ago to help me out on my cucumber expedition. You told me you were in Ogbomosho with the guy selling Land there and wouldn't be available to help me in Port Harcourt.
I think it's me you contacted
Re: My New Cucumber Farm by jidestroud(m): 1:32pm On Mar 07, 2018
Itydee:

Sorry, I guess there is a mix up here. I can't remember such discussions ever taking place. About availability, I am presently very engaged with a project I'm working on at a College of Education.
Re: My New Cucumber Farm by stocklot(m): 6:33am On Mar 09, 2018
fluentinfor:

Just wondering why you recommend mixing DAP and SSP as basal fertilizer. Looks strange. I hope you know the content of the two fertilizers.

Also, you need to guard against diseases building resistance to whatever you spray. Your method might be too risky.

Why focus on only boron? Just curious. Why not apply a micro nutrient formular? Some specific plants needs a significant amount of boron, and i am not aware cucumber is one.

Calcium + Pottasium will get your fruits nicer. And it is more of potassium than calcium. Then, you add magnesium.

In general, plant nutrition is same principle for all plants with just minor adjustment. There is no need for specific steps. Mere looking at the plabts, you can identify deficiencies. Better to do tissue test.
The reason for mixing DAP and SSP is that some fertilisers are immediately mobile when applied and some take time to be absorbed by the plant . Some fertilisers like ammonia need to get converted to Nitrate for absorbtion by the plants .

Curcubits in general are more prone to diseases due to insect and pest activity . That is why I have asked to change the insecticide and not use the same insecticide repeatedly .

Boron helps with flowering and in watermelon especially Boron , Phosphorous and magnesium play a vital role in flowering .

Wrong use of micro nutrients or excessive use of micro nutrients can lead to more complications that without using them . Micro nutrients should at best be applied only as a foliar spray .

A link on fertilisers content ..

http://agritech.tnau.ac.in/agriculture/agri_nutrientmgt_fertilizers.html

you can also use the below link to study about watermelon cultivation in India

http://agritech.tnau.ac.in/horticulture/horti_vegetables_watermelon.html

A typical drip fed watermelon cultivation

https://discuss.farmnest.com/t/water-melon-a-winter-crop-for-summer-market-in-india/3666
https://www./water-melon-winter-crop-summer-market-south-india-thampalayagowder/

Re: My New Cucumber Farm by Nobody: 10:24am On Mar 09, 2018
stocklot:

The reason for mixing DAP and SSP is that some fertilisers are immediately mobile when applied and some take time to be absorbed by the plant . Some fertilisers like ammonia need to get converted to Nitrate for absorbtion by the plants .

Curcubits in general are more prone to diseases due to insect and pest activity . That is why I have asked to change the insecticide and not use the same insecticide repeatedly .

Boron helps with flowering and in watermelon especially Boron , Phosphorous and magnesium play a vital role in flowering .

Wrong use of micro nutrients or excessive use of micro nutrients can lead to more complications that without using them . Micro nutrients should at best be applied only as a foliar spray .

A link on fertilisers content ..

http://agritech.tnau.ac.in/agriculture/agri_nutrientmgt_fertilizers.html

you can also use the below link to study about watermelon cultivation in India

http://agritech.tnau.ac.in/horticulture/horti_vegetables_watermelon.html

A typical drip fed watermelon cultivation

https://discuss.farmnest.com/t/water-melon-a-winter-crop-for-summer-market-in-india/3666
https://www./water-melon-winter-crop-summer-market-south-india-thampalayagowder/

Hmmmm! Well, I get what you are trying to do. However, what you need more are high phosphorus and moderate Nitrogen as basal. Minimal potassium may go in if soil test show terrible depreciation. Your mixture will work but it is not cost efficient in my opinion. DAP itself is the only nutrient you need if you want to do basal. If you need potassium, you add NPK. And its another ball game if you want to use SSP - different approach. Also, if you want to use NPK as basal, its possible...with some other kinds of fertilizer. Definitely, your approach will work but may not be cost effective. DAP is scarce in Nigeria, except in Akwa Ibom or so (not sure). My colleague gave me a quote N18,000 per bag and I want like...for what? I can mix some other kinds and do what I want to. The only issue is that one must be extremely good in formulation else, soil will be damaged and this is my fear with what you have mixed together. Soil can easily become acidic. But who am I to say you are wrong sir. If your approach gives better yield and does not destroy the soil, why not? Carry go, my brother. But please, try to find a way to check your ph. This way, you will be more cautious and be a better farmer.

Guy, basal preparation separates good farmers from fake ones. I just hate it when a farmer does not teach himself how to prepare soil for each crop he is doing. Different approaches for different crops.

Another advice is to use huge manure to reduce usage of fertilizer. I cannot but emphasize it. It is why a farmer must think how to move huge loads of manure to his farm. Many do not use manure cos the road network to their farm is terrible. Basal nutrient addition is just too good.

Many people are beginning to use internet in the right way. Your links are on point if you can interprete and manipulate the content or info to suit the climate of your place. I laugh at farmers who call modern farmers internet farmers. If not internet, who can easily have access to the kind of info we have. The issue is: do you understand the content? Can you interprete it? Would you be able to manipulate it to work your soil in your climatic condition? I am a proud internet farmer. Lol.

You are told that your seeds' optimum production is 28C but can tolerate max of 32C. What can you do to make it tolerate 36C in your place? You start thinking. Should I shade it? How much does shading cost? Will I get profit if I shade it? How long will it take to break even? Ok. Should I find a nutrient that can build the plant up to resist 2 more degrees? Will the nutrient get the job done? Should I try it on just 1/4 of a plot? Or can i just take the risk of 3 acres? And many more.

The point is that many here are just "let me get profit by all means". Rank Xerox people. grin No zeal to even try to improve at all. They are bros, let me download your step by step thing. Lol. I do not mind to give anyone step by step but you better be able to discuss well what I am giving you cos I will like to hear your opinion too. And i will ask you what you advise me to check in the steps. If you gat nothing to offer, you are off my list. You write me and I ignore you. Who wants to be radio katanga. Na me dem talk say make a just dey supply u info all the time? Lol

Bro, you are on the right track. Just make sure it is not just internet thing. Practice it yourself and fine tune it. But I know you will definitely remove some items from your basal as time goes on.

Blessings.
Re: My New Cucumber Farm by creedencity(m): 11:59pm On Mar 09, 2018
Even monsieur. I have read every post on this thread and all i can say is with people like @fluentinfor still existing, it means there is till hope for nigeria to be a better place. May you reap the fruit of your service to humanity.
My condolence to the op.
@fluentinfor, i am about delving in to market gardening, please i will like to join the bus of your mentee.
I have sent u an email, plz reply
Re: My New Cucumber Farm by Itydee(m): 8:19pm On Mar 10, 2018
Just finished acquiring my 40 plots for the new farming business. order for equipment and drip accessories next on the line. Another 20 plots to add on line
Re: My New Cucumber Farm by jidestroud(m): 8:04am On Mar 11, 2018
Itydee:
Just finished acquiring my 40 plots for the new farming business. order for equipment and drip accessories next on the line. Another 20 plots to add on line
Great. God's speed.
Re: My New Cucumber Farm by Itydee(m): 4:28pm On Mar 13, 2018
thanks
jidestroud:

Great. God's speed.
Re: My New Cucumber Farm by stocklot(m): 1:59pm On Mar 19, 2018
I can understand your reservations about DAP cost . Here it is the cheaper and for basal application i suggest Manure , DAP , SSP , Potash to be mixed and after 15 days apply the mixture as a basal fertiliser .
Attached are the pics of my farm

fluentinfor:

Hmmmm! Well, I get what you are trying to do. However, what you need more are high phosphorus and moderate Nitrogen as basal. Minimal potassium may go in if soil test show terrible depreciation. Your mixture will work but it is not cost efficient in my opinion. DAP itself is the only nutrient you need if you want to do basal. If you need potassium, you add NPK. And its another ball game if you want to use SSP - different approach. Also, if you want to use NPK as basal, its possible...with some other kinds of fertilizer. Definitely, your approach will work but may not be cost effective. DAP is scarce in Nigeria, except in Akwa Ibom or so (not sure). My colleague gave me a quote N18,000 per bag and I want like...for what? I can mix some other kinds and do what I want to. The only issue is that one must be extremely good in formulation else, soil will be damaged and this is my fear with what you have mixed together. Soil can easily become acidic. But who am I to say you are wrong sir. If your approach gives better yield and does not destroy the soil, why not? Carry go, my brother. But please, try to find a way to check your ph. This way, you will be more cautious and be a better farmer.

Guy, basal preparation separates good farmers from fake ones. I just hate it when a farmer does not teach himself how to prepare soil for each crop he is doing. Different approaches for different crops.

Another advice is to use huge manure to reduce usage of fertilizer. I cannot but emphasize it. It is why a farmer must think how to move huge loads of manure to his farm. Many do not use manure cos the road network to their farm is terrible. Basal nutrient addition is just too good.

Many people are beginning to use internet in the right way. Your links are on point if you can interprete and manipulate the content or info to suit the climate of your place. I laugh at farmers who call modern farmers internet farmers. If not internet, who can easily have access to the kind of info we have. The issue is: do you understand the content? Can you interprete it? Would you be able to manipulate it to work your soil in your climatic condition? I am a proud internet farmer. Lol.

You are told that your seeds' optimum production is 28C but can tolerate max of 32C. What can you do to make it tolerate 36C in your place? You start thinking. Should I shade it? How much does shading cost? Will I get profit if I shade it? How long will it take to break even? Ok. Should I find a nutrient that can build the plant up to resist 2 more degrees? Will the nutrient get the job done? Should I try it on just 1/4 of a plot? Or can i just take the risk of 3 acres? And many more.

The point is that many here are just "let me get profit by all means". Rank Xerox people. grin No zeal to even try to improve at all. They are bros, let me download your step by step thing. Lol. I do not mind to give anyone step by step but you better be able to discuss well what I am giving you cos I will like to hear your opinion too. And i will ask you what you advise me to check in the steps. If you gat nothing to offer, you are off my list. You write me and I ignore you. Who wants to be radio katanga. Na me dem talk say make a just dey supply u info all the time? Lol

Bro, you are on the right track. Just make sure it is not just internet thing. Practice it yourself and fine tune it. But I know you will definitely remove some items from your basal as time goes on.

Blessings.

Re: My New Cucumber Farm by Itydee(m): 5:24pm On Mar 19, 2018
I have gone back to my farm. Planted over 10 plots of cucumber and working the earth with knowledgeable people.
Re: My New Cucumber Farm by Nobody: 1:41am On Mar 20, 2018
stocklot:
I can understand your reservations about DAP cost . Here it is the cheaper and for basal application i suggest Manure , DAP , SSP , Potash to be mixed and after 15 days apply the mixture as a basal fertiliser .
Attached are the pics of my farm

Basal application 15 days after sowing? Please try to get your terms accurate.

You seem to have poor watermelon germination rate or mortality is high during vegetative stage. You should give your plants wider space next time bro.
Re: My New Cucumber Farm by Itydee(m): 9:31pm On Mar 20, 2018
fluentinfor:
Deep inside me I feel your pain. I have worked in different parts of Nigeria. I closed one of my farms earlier this month myself. It feels not so good. It is not over.

Just that you are in PH...hmmm. I would have gladly invited you to a colleague's farm in Ogun State to use up to an acre. I know I can make my friend release one acre or more. Expenses will be reduced because water source is a clean river. But I always work with drip irrigation and I can welcome anyone who is willing to fix the farm like a modern farmer. You learn how to reduce cost of production, how to handle farm workers (they are parasites, where to pick up farm inputs, etc.) First trial might be tough, but with second attempt using good workers, one will easily breakthrough. Learn + Make Profit.

What can I say? I pray you recover your loss. AMEN!
my good friend can we explore this option deeper?. I have given it a deep thought. Let's talk please. Send me your number. I lost ur number with my last phone
Re: My New Cucumber Farm by Nobody: 2:28pm On Mar 21, 2018
Itydee:
my good friend can we explore this option deeper?. I have given it a deep thought. Let's talk please. Send me your number. I lost ur number with my last phone

I have left the farm. I only asssited my friend there. I thought you are in the midst of professionals now. Do you want me to tell you the honest truth, I do not give my number out easily. Also, when I give it out, anyone who deleted me will have to live with it like that. I dont delete people like that cos I learned how to tame my temper more and more daily. I remember our chat very well and it is still on my phone. You deleted it, not that you lost it. And that is it.

Please, leave it and move on. Whatever, I can do, I will do it here for you. Just post the pictures of your farm. When I am online, I will make comments.

I receive mails daily the number of people my posts have helped. I can count up to 200 people who have ordered drip directly from China, US, India (more from china) with the help of my post on drip irrigation and set up. I explained all that is needed there.

I do not need anyone to train under me. Presently, I have 10 people undergoing free online training. I call it "Do it yourself". All from nairaland. Anyway, the training is the only one I will do this year. They bought seeds and nutrients themselves. I just felt like doing good.

All I hope is that those 10 people will develop the heart of humanitarianism, and not turn to "over billing consultants". I do not do more than I can chew. Those 10 only for this year. Maybe next year I will take more. The quality they get and how they can interprete the procedures are what will make them become excellent farmers.

You need to learn it well. It is not when you open 10 plots or go inside forest "Makibamtolo" one becomes a good farmer. Just using 10 sacks at home, that is enough. Then, go to farm and fimd out the challenges of farmers. I have listed many out. You cannot do beds yourself. Can you? So, you do not need to learn it. Outsource it. The only skill required is how to supervise it. Thats all. And mere reading how it is done can give you idea what you need to ask laborers do for you.

Make sure you finish installing bamboos, and other staking materials before you sow seeds.

There are modern tech one can use to reduce the tedious labor on cucumber farms. And there are steps one needs to take. If done well, one will have good yield. Staking is one. Manual training of crops to lines stressed the plants. Almost everyone uses manual style in Nigeria but when I tell what to do, most cannot afford it. But the result is super and the long term cost of production is so low.

Cucumber is money now in South West, South East and South South. Why? Cucumber and other vegetable kings from the north are keeping it cool now. They are boucing back.in November. Get yourself to the farm, make some cash now. Enter your shell in November and let the big boys operate then.

I could have suggested people coming together to farm but I cannot do that. Partnership or group.work always fail in Nigeria. So, do it yourself.
Re: My New Cucumber Farm by stocklot(m): 3:19pm On Mar 21, 2018
No , the germination rate was good . The problem was i read some where that milk helps in preventing fungal diseases . The seeds were soaked in milk prior to planting . The insects found the seeds to be tasty and ate the seeds up before they could germinate . The reason for planting is to try out high density farming . Currently we also have gherkins planted in the same method , but without dipping the seeds in milk . When i am at my farm I can get the pics for reference . Mine was more of research into various methods to help prevent fungal diseases . The 15 days mentioned is the time required for the manure and fertilisers to be mixed before applying on the farm prior to planting of the seeds or seedlings . Hope that clears the doubt .

fluentinfor:

Basal application 15 days after sowing? Please try to get your terms accurate.

You seem to have poor watermelon germination rate or mortality is high during vegetative stage. You should give your plants wider space next time bro.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Akwa Ibom Government Boosts Cocoa Farming With 500,000 Seedlings / Mushroom Cultivation Simplified / Pawpaw Hybrid Seed For Planting?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 151
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.