Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,087 members, 7,828,822 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:38 PM

The Politics Of Islam: Who Made Sokoto Leader Over Yoruba? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Politics Of Islam: Who Made Sokoto Leader Over Yoruba? (2144 Views)

Gov Yahaya Bello Battles APC National Women Leader Over Aisha Buhari’s Interest / Police Arrest Benjamin Onwuka, Biafran Zionists Leader, Over Murder Case / Afenifere Leaders Visit Ooni Of Ife Over Yoruba/Hausa Clash(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Politics Of Islam: Who Made Sokoto Leader Over Yoruba? by MayorofLagos(m): 12:28am On Sep 20, 2017
An Islamic group has queried the widely-held claims that the Sultan of Sokoto is leader of Nigerian Muslims. The group also frowned at Sultan Abubukar Saad’s declaration of Friday as a work-free day, saying it undermines productivity.

The group, Oodua Muslim Progressive Council (OMPC), also dismissed as false the long-held view that the that the Sultan of Sokoto is the leader of Muslims in Nigeria.

The group’s position was contained in a statement signed by Mallam Abdulnasir Kadir Araoye in response to the call by Professor Ishaq Akintola, scholar and founder of Muslims Right Congress (MURIC), that Friday should be declared a work-free day.

The group also described as ill-thought the agitation to make Friday a work-free day in the country. It argued that the aspiration of the Yoruba in the 21st century is to go to space, build a Yoruba territory with cherished values, technological development, industrialization, peace and harmony. “To achieve this feat, we would want to see Yoruba people go to work every day, including Sundays and Fridays. It is a primitive idea to be fighting on Fridays being declared a work free-day.”

It said that Friday, as a working day, was not imposed on Nigerians by any Christian group, but by the British colonialists, who handed over power to a reactionary Muslim Fulani North.

This, said the OMPC, left the country with a legacy of Arabic inscriptions on Nigerian currency. The OMPC added that a demand to make Friday a work-free day will lead to the loss of jobs and dwindling employment opportunities for the Muslim population.

“If you ask Muslims not to work on Fridays, we can assure you that many private employers will not like to employ Muslims any longer even if this policy is restricted to the government employees. We also wish to know if we, as Muslims, will have to work on Christmas day and on Sundays. Will these elements also advocate for a change in the Western Calendar which is used in Nigeria? This is an irresponsible demand, a clear attempt to set the Yoruba nation and Nigeria on the cause of violence and disorder. We call on Yoruba people, especially youths to watch out for paranoid scholars who are using the name of religion for financial gains from some foreign countries at the expense of the poor Muslim population who desire happiness, justice, food and security.

The group described the Sultan as a usurper. “The Sultan cannot be the head of Yoruba Muslims. He is a usurper. He came to Nigeria in 1804 through violence, killings, looting and cold-blooded brigandage. How can the offspring of such a movement be the head of Nigerian Muslims? There was no record of the position of the Sultan until 300 years after Islam had been established in Yorubaland as a religion of peace.

Even the Sultan did not introduce Islam to the North. There was a Muslim ruler, Umme-Jilmi, who reigned between 1085 and 1097. He was converted to Islam by Sheik Mohammed Ibn Mani. In Hausaland, Islam was introduced by Wangarawa merchants. In Yorubaland, Islam came on before Mansa Musa of Mali (d.1337C.E).

Islam was a strong religion in Yorubaland from the time of Alaafin Ajiboyede (1560 to 1570 C.E). So how did Sultan become the head of Nigerian Muslims including Yoruba? Who made him the head? Where was the meeting held where he was chosen?
The idea of promoting the Sultan over several Yoruba Islamic scholars is a myth and a continuation of the political domination of Nigeria by the Fulani oligarchy. This is unacceptable to the Yoruba people,” said the statement.

The statement also warned Muslims to be wary of scholars, who receive foreign grants, including from the Islamic Movement of Egypt. He accused them of making demands on behalf of Nigerian Muslims solely to justify their receipt of such on the pages of newspapers

4 Likes

Re: The Politics Of Islam: Who Made Sokoto Leader Over Yoruba? by menstrualpad: 12:32am On Sep 20, 2017
Was asking myself this question too! Who made sultan the head of Nigerian Muslims? As rightly noted in history he is a newcomer to Nigerian Islamic affairs

6 Likes

Re: The Politics Of Islam: Who Made Sokoto Leader Over Yoruba? by slimfit1(m): 12:35am On Sep 20, 2017
Not my business
Re: The Politics Of Islam: Who Made Sokoto Leader Over Yoruba? by MalcoImX: 12:39am On Sep 20, 2017
Needless"
At least his title says Sultan of Sokoto, not Sultan of Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: The Politics Of Islam: Who Made Sokoto Leader Over Yoruba? by IJOBA2: 12:49am On Sep 20, 2017
menstrualpad:
Was asking myself this question too! Who made sultan the head of Nigerian Muslims? As rightly noted in history he is a newcomer to Nigerian Islamic affairs
YORUBA MUSLIMS MADE HIM THE SUPREME HEAD OF NIGERIAN MUSLIMS

7 Likes

Re: The Politics Of Islam: Who Made Sokoto Leader Over Yoruba? by IJOBA2: 12:52am On Sep 20, 2017
HE CALLED HIM GREAT AND EXEMPLARY LEADER... WHAT ELSE DO YOU WANT TO HEAR OP grin

5 Likes

Re: The Politics Of Islam: Who Made Sokoto Leader Over Yoruba? by IJOBA2: 12:54am On Sep 20, 2017
MalcoImX:
Needless"
At least his title says Sultan of Sokoto, not Sultan of Nigeria.
CHAI grinangry
Re: The Politics Of Islam: Who Made Sokoto Leader Over Yoruba? by Acjohn(m): 12:54am On Sep 20, 2017
this all boils to the fact that the Sultan doesn't support restructuring and the Yorubas are bent on having it.
I said it once and I will say it again, only the Yorubas has what it takes to be on their own in Nigeria. they have start displaying it.
I tell you the Oni and other top Yoruba Muslims will join this call cos they have one voice. all that remains is for the middle belt to find their voice and the Hausa man will understand the value of others

7 Likes

Re: The Politics Of Islam: Who Made Sokoto Leader Over Yoruba? by konoplyanka: 12:56am On Sep 20, 2017
IJOBA2:

keep looking for Yoruba threads to masturbate on. your people are endangered species and your supreme leader is no where to be found yet you are not bothered.

i dont know how wishing a traditional ruler a happy birthday equals to making him the head of Muslims.

7 Likes

Re: The Politics Of Islam: Who Made Sokoto Leader Over Yoruba? by konoplyanka: 12:58am On Sep 20, 2017
many Muslims I know don't even know if the emir exists in the first place.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Politics Of Islam: Who Made Sokoto Leader Over Yoruba? by IJOBA2: 12:58am On Sep 20, 2017
Acjohn:
this all boils to the fact that the Sultan doesn't support restructuring and the Yorubas are bent on having it.
I said it once and I will say it again, only the Yorubas has what it takes to be on their own in Nigeria. they have start displaying it.
I tell you the Oni and other top Yoruba Muslims will join this call cos they have one voice. all that remains is for the middle belt to find their voice and the Hausa man will understand the value of others
THIS MAN BELOW CAN NEVER GO AGAINST SULTAN OF SOKOTO

5 Likes

Re: The Politics Of Islam: Who Made Sokoto Leader Over Yoruba? by IJOBA2: 1:00am On Sep 20, 2017
konoplyanka:

keep looking for Yoruba threads to masturbate on. your people are endangered species and your supreme leader is no where to be found yet you are not bothered.

i dont know how wishing a traditional ruler a happy birthday equals to making him the head of Muslims.

https://www.google.com.ng/amp/punchng.com/mosques-demolition-well-make-ekiti-ungovernable-says-muric/amp/
Re: The Politics Of Islam: Who Made Sokoto Leader Over Yoruba? by konoplyanka: 1:07am On Sep 20, 2017
Re: The Politics Of Islam: Who Made Sokoto Leader Over Yoruba? by wickyyolo: 1:08am On Sep 20, 2017
Once a slave always a slave.

5 Likes

Re: The Politics Of Islam: Who Made Sokoto Leader Over Yoruba? by Adebola02(m): 1:29am On Sep 20, 2017
It's depressingly hilarious that in Nigeria when the south westenters are clamouring for National unity and peaceful coexistence and the easterners agitating for restructuring and constitution review

Some set of lazy and self centered northern leaders are planning to declare Friday as a work free day ..

They can't impose the Middle East practices and beliefs in this western part of the world

We know those who want this country to move forward
We surely do
Many are all over the country begging for alms
Oh shame cry

6 Likes

Re: The Politics Of Islam: Who Made Sokoto Leader Over Yoruba? by ProDNA: 4:06am On Sep 20, 2017
Check my signature for reliable DNA paternity testing services.
Re: The Politics Of Islam: Who Made Sokoto Leader Over Yoruba? by menstrualpad: 4:59am On Sep 20, 2017
IJOBA2:
He doesn't speak even for his household talkless of his town or Yoruba race

3 Likes

Re: The Politics Of Islam: Who Made Sokoto Leader Over Yoruba? by menstrualpad: 5:00am On Sep 20, 2017
wickyyolo:
Once a slave always a slave.
We shall flush those slaves out of Yoruba land

2 Likes

Re: The Politics Of Islam: Who Made Sokoto Leader Over Yoruba? by menstrualpad: 5:02am On Sep 20, 2017
IJOBA2:
Not in anyway! That comedian speaks only for a scattered few sponsored to expand radical Islam
Re: The Politics Of Islam: Who Made Sokoto Leader Over Yoruba? by Nobody: 5:07am On Sep 20, 2017
Confused cleric, you have your sarkin musulumi Wetin bring Sokoto inside this one.

Akinola installed as new Aare Musulumi of Yorubaland

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/12/akinola-installed-as-new-aare-musulumi-of-yorubaland/
Re: The Politics Of Islam: Who Made Sokoto Leader Over Yoruba? by Nobody: 5:31am On Sep 20, 2017
IJOBA2:
likewise you can not be against aboki christians danjuma and gowon that massacred your ancestors in million.

4 Likes

Re: The Politics Of Islam: Who Made Sokoto Leader Over Yoruba? by menstrualpad: 5:45am On Sep 20, 2017
abdelrahman:
likewise you can not be against aboki christians danjuma and gowon that massacred your ancestors in million.
Wrong analogy. I wonder why you read the Koran when you have the sultan

6 Likes

Re: The Politics Of Islam: Who Made Sokoto Leader Over Yoruba? by Nobody: 5:48am On Sep 20, 2017
menstrualpad:

Wrong analogy. I wonder why you read the Koran when you have the sultan
see this idiot,is sultan the owner of Quran?
Re: The Politics Of Islam: Who Made Sokoto Leader Over Yoruba? by Flyingngel(m): 6:52am On Sep 20, 2017
Pay day is coming. We the Christians will wait to see....
Re: The Politics Of Islam: Who Made Sokoto Leader Over Yoruba? by AustineE1: 7:11am On Sep 20, 2017
ding!ding!dong!......the bogeyman is by the corner,the evil date is fast approaching.
'who will love my country'!!!
Re: The Politics Of Islam: Who Made Sokoto Leader Over Yoruba? by freeze001(f): 7:17am On Sep 20, 2017
This statement about making Friday a work free day was made a long time ago. Did yoruba muslim association just wake up? Did they just realise there was no meeting making d sultan head of all muslims? It's d same thing Nnamdi Kanu and all sensible people know of Nigeria, that it is not organic neither is it the product of any agreement among component units but rather an imposed union by the British which must be taken apart and renegotiated! Dem follow dey call am terrorist.

Well, any time dem wake up na morning.
Re: The Politics Of Islam: Who Made Sokoto Leader Over Yoruba? by Bari22: 7:29am On Sep 20, 2017
I see ipob handwriting here
Re: The Politics Of Islam: Who Made Sokoto Leader Over Yoruba? by Nobody: 7:38am On Sep 20, 2017
Seriously? Yoruba Muslims speaking up against their slave master? Someone wake me up. Am I dreaming? I need to go back to bed and wake up on the right side of the bed.

This is good news if true, but I strongly doubt this. Yoruba Muslims (the inferior Muslims) don't have it in them to speak up against the hausa fulani (the superior Muslims)

The Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (NSCIA) cedes the first two top positions to the hausa fulani. The President is the sultan and the deputy presidemt is the shehu of born - both fulani. No SW muslim can ever aspire to this positions. NEVER! despite being funded by tax payer's money. Prof Ishaq Oloyede (The Yoruba Muslim extremist ) known for his pro-hasua fulani stance is just a mere Secretary. No matter how he kowtows to the hausa fulani, he can never be able to sight the moon talk more of aspiring to the position of the President or vice president.

1 Like

Re: The Politics Of Islam: Who Made Sokoto Leader Over Yoruba? by menstrualpad: 7:41am On Sep 20, 2017
abdelrahman:
see this idiot,is sultan the owner of Quran?

Ouch I definitely touched a nerve! Good..... about that name-calling... I am NOT your father.... He has exclusive right to the name. In doubt? Check his birth certificate!

2 Likes

Re: The Politics Of Islam: Who Made Sokoto Leader Over Yoruba? by Nobody: 7:48am On Sep 20, 2017
Yoruba muslims don't know what they are saying. They better accept their fate as a second class inferior muslims.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Politics Of Islam: Who Made Sokoto Leader Over Yoruba? by babyfaceafrica: 7:56am On Sep 20, 2017
This news get as he be.. But na.Muslim matter..so he no concern me...Jehovah is Lord
Re: The Politics Of Islam: Who Made Sokoto Leader Over Yoruba? by BlakKluKluxKlan(m): 8:11am On Sep 20, 2017
IJOBA2:

False allegation.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Flash! One Of The Fraudulent Insertions In The Electoral Bill Busted. / Adamawa: PDP Leads APC In 17 Out Of 21 Lgs Officially Declared / Two Men Caught On Camera Slapping A Lady Nonstop For Raining Insults On Them

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.