Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,939 members, 7,952,780 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 12:31 AM

What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? - Culture (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? (50479 Views)

Share Any Of Your Experience About Culture Shock In Nigeria / South Africa Culture Shock: 2 Scantly Dressed Women, Different Public Reactions / Shock As Men Steal Meat From Lions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Nobody: 5:58pm On Sep 23, 2017
qhutetomsel:
I was so African at my point of entry, kept on using "Ma and Sir" grin grin, It took a long while for me to get used to the norm here

I'm in MN

lol.. qhutetomsel , it's quite funny. When ever I visit Naija, I always thread with caution so as to avoid calling my uncle by his name.

alright. it seems you school there. I'll send a mail across .
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Nobody: 6:05pm On Sep 23, 2017
qhutetomsel:
Girl and its so annoying! At first I always smile back and say "Hi" till I realised the fakeness in the smile. Now when a random person smiles at me, I have that look of "keep your fake smile to yourself, I don't know you" undecided
Its probably a white/caucasian thing grin

Lool. The fakeness is real! I just put on my poker face or the "what the hell is wrong with this 1 look" Hopefully that makes them realise how dumb and ridiculous those smiles are. I mean it doesn't even reach their eyes! Why even smile, if it's going to look like you are in pain?!
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by qhutetomsel(f): 6:09pm On Sep 23, 2017
Chascop:

lol.. qhutetomsel , it's quite funny. When ever I visit Naija, I always thread with caution so as to avoid calling my uncle by his name.

alright. it seems you school there. I'll send a mail across .
I unconsciously say "Hi mum" when she calls, then I'll quickly add "Good evening ma" grin the struggle is real!

Yeah, I do
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by qhutetomsel(f): 6:16pm On Sep 23, 2017
lovelygurl:

Lool. The fakeness is real! I just put on my poker face or the "what the hell is wrong with this 1 look" Hopefully that makes them realise how dumb and ridiculous those smiles are. I mean it doesn't even reach their eyes! Why even smile, if it's going to look like you are in pain?!
Lmao! "smile as if they're in pain" is so true. The way the smile disappears from their face afterwards with no emotions is just so surprising shocked.. I don't condone it anymore, either take my face away or give them an indifferent face angry

Must be quite difficult learning the german language tho .. I don't think I can survive in a non speaking english country lipsrsealed
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Nobody: 6:29pm On Sep 23, 2017
qhutetomsel:

Lmao! "smile as if they're in pain" is so true. The way the smile disappears from their face afterwards with no emotions is just so surprising :o.. I don't condone it anymore, either take my face away or give them an indifferent face angry

Must be quite difficult learning the german language tho .. I don't think I can survive in a non speaking english country lipsrsealed

Lool

Was pretty young when we came here, so I just picked it up. My German is actually better than my English grin. It all depends on age. The older you get, the more difficult it becomes.
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Ishilove: 6:36pm On Sep 23, 2017
I was with my CEO when he called one of our American staff for something. The lady answered and called him by his first name.

She said 'hi, how are you?''

I was so shocked. I asked him "eh sir, does she know who she is talking to?"

and he answered "don't mind her, that's how they behave over there. The don't have home training."

My mind boggled.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Ishilove: 6:47pm On Sep 23, 2017
MRAKBEE:

U obviously ate the pooly prepared one.well prepared Fufu is better than garri and tuwo. I eat it for a living.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by tosyne2much(m): 7:28pm On Sep 23, 2017
Mobsync:

grin grin grin grin

Funny. Those girls are always looking for people to impregnate and marry them and my fellow corp member almost fell into one's trap.

He slept with a lady without cd and did not even bother to get her pills. He told me about it and I asked him whether he wanted to marry. That was when he realized the shit he was getting into.

It was already evening and we started looking for postinor and pregnancy strip. We had to borrow a teacher's bike to travel to a village about thirty minutes away just to get those stuffs. And there was no network there so we had to enter the village and started looking for the lady's house. It was funny and terrible at the same time. We finally found her, gave her the drugs and averted a catastrophe.

I later told my guy I would've attended his wedding if the lady got pregnant. Guy just laughed.

That your guys needs spanking ooo.. Why on earth will an educated person have an unprotected sex with a village girl? No be even him babe cheesy
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by qhutetomsel(f): 8:40pm On Sep 23, 2017
lovelygurl:

Lool

Was pretty young when we came here, so I just picked it up. My German is actually better than my English grin. It all depends on age. The older you get, the more difficult it becomes.
yeah, its easier to learn new languages as a child.
Enjoy your day, girl! smiley
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Nobody: 9:14pm On Sep 23, 2017
qhutetomsel:
yeah, its easier to learn new languages as a child.
Enjoy your day, girl! smiley

You mean evening grin

Time difference I guess but same to you wink cheesy
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by MRAKBEE(m): 9:27pm On Sep 23, 2017
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by MRAKBEE(m): 9:28pm On Sep 23, 2017
Pebcak:
How far? how much U wan sell dis ur small plot of land?
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Ranoscky(m): 1:11am On Sep 24, 2017
booked
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by kingui(m): 1:24pm On Sep 24, 2017
Henri8:

If you see it in real life, you will be throwing up continuously for one week. Even kilishi sef.
What kilishi
You see this is the same reason why I don't eat out, you can't be sure what happens in the kitchen.
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by UrennaNkoli(f): 6:00pm On Sep 24, 2017
Trunaijian:
In Japan they eat white rice without any sauce or stew.
sometimes they get a bowl of extremely watery soup with floating vegetables.

Meeen. Feeding was a challenge until I found KFC two streets down. Them tire for me there
lol.. u right tho. Floating veggies in a big bowl of ugly looking soup with half cooked meat/fish and caviar garnished with raw snail..

if ur in sapporro, you'll see lots of western restaurants with manageable delicacies.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Itshsb: 1:01am On Sep 25, 2017
Ermacc:
The Yorubas! When I was younger, I read that the yorubas are the most educated and enlightened tribe. Having spent a considerable time in the west ( Ibadan, Ogbomosho, Saki, Oyo town, Ife, Ore, Oshogbo, Akure, Ifaki and Iwo), I can boldly state that those days of being the most educated tribe are long gone.

You haven't mentioned anything that shocked you, so please elaborate...
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Malayy(m): 1:19pm On Sep 25, 2017
Dalek:

azin i weak o as yoruba it's normal thing, all my aunt's got a share of my grandparents properties. but them first they sell the daughters and disavow them

the case go worse if her husband dies, shave head, Drink the water used in washing the corpse et al
Shave hair drink corpse water?? Nollywood don format your brain..
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by chyima(f): 10:41am On Sep 26, 2017
PaperLace:

See what you're asking. We bought it all o. They told us they'll buy ours and theirs must be complete too. They showed my mum how big the bowl of fufu and pot of soup must be, that the soup must have enough BIG meat, the fufu mustn't be flat in the bowl _it should form a hill.

They fined my mum about 5k the day they finally came, because the soup didn't contain enough meat.

this is. very funny,Pls where is ur hubby from
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by chyima(f): 10:43am On Sep 26, 2017
Mobsync:

The school is located in Anchuna village has over 200 students coming from almost ten villages around the area. The people are dominantly Ikulu but there are about three Hausa families in the biggest of the villages and two Fulani families living in the forest.

4 of the over 200 students are Fulanis, 5 are Hausas, 1 is Hausa-Ikulu, 1 is Ibo, 1 is Idoma and 1 is Yoruba-Ikulu. The rest are Ikulu.

igbo we are sha every nook and corners of Nigeria.
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Mobsync(m): 5:21pm On Sep 26, 2017
chyima:

igbo we are sha every nook and corners of Nigeria.

That part is true. I met Igbos in every part of Kaduna. From Zaria to Kaduna town and even the remotest villages. The Igbo boy and his family are the only non-native people living in the village I'm talking about. And the village is so remote.
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Mobsync(m): 5:26pm On Sep 26, 2017
tosyne2much:
That your guys needs spanking ooo.. Why on earth will an educated person have an unprotected sex with a village girl? No be even him babe cheesy

“The problem is, God gave man a brain and a penis and only enough blood to run one at a time.”

― Robin McLaurin Williams

That quote sums it up. grin grin grin
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by acenazt: 2:44am On Sep 27, 2017
Dalek:

pls is that the name, cuz me don't know the name and watin dey use do am. i just dey chop am grin
that's the name. I can't remember the ingredients either. But I sure loved them
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Trunaijian: 6:37am On Sep 27, 2017
UrennaNkoli:

lol.. u right tho. Floating veggies in a big bowl of ugly looking soup with half cooked meat/fish and caviar garnished with raw snail..

if ur in sapporro, you'll see lots of western restaurants with manageable delicacies.

sapporo. one of my in Japan was from sapporo. she said its extremely cold there.

Dont worry, when I enter japan again I go holla u. wetin u dey do there sef?
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by RoyalPearl(f): 8:29am On Sep 28, 2017
makydebbie:
I don't give a rat ass what you think and I'll advice you not to mention me in the nearest future. If you're so pained that I'm a Ghanaian, then kill yourself. Stop trying so hard to be noticed. Girl360 come see the rubbish this one is saying here. undecided

You don't give a rats ass yet you still bothered to quite me. When V0lv0 kept saying you were fake I was a bit sceptical but the more and more trash you spew from your mouth esp regarding Ghanaians shows that you a fake wannabe. How can any true Ghanaian say that we don't serve food for our wedding. This is not the first time you have said such rubbish.

I will keep coming for you whenever you decide to talk trash and untruths about Ghana. Nkwasiasem
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by RoyalPearl(f): 8:34am On Sep 28, 2017
Girl360:

Royalpearl?

Oh but she's not always like that

I guess it's because too many fake people have been parading as Ghanaians

I even thought it was the Achimotan guy

Lol don't mind her

I ain't like that so it means am telling you the truth. Don't be fooled by that girl trust me.. Its very obvious she is not who she claims to be and am laughing at all the fools who keep following her up and down like sheep's.

Which normal person will intentionally spew false krap about their own country. Its only fake people that to so. Same thing with that kwame guy who was actually a south African pretending to be a ghanaian. Anyways 2 be honest if she wants to pretend to be an alien from space idgaf but as long as she keeps spewing fake trash about my country I will continue to call her/him/it out. Mtchew
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by makydebbie(f): 8:59am On Sep 28, 2017
[s]
RoyalPearl:

You don't give a rats ass yet you still bothered to quite me. When V0l0 kept saying you were fake I was a bit sceptical but the more and more trash you spew from your mouth esp regarding Ghanaians shows that you a fake wannabe. How can any true Ghanaian say that we don't serve food for our wedding. This is not the first time you have said such rubbish.

I will keep coming for you whenever you decide to talk trash and untruths about Ghana. Nkwasiasem [/s]
Keep trolling since you're jobless and obsessed with me. Oh please shut the hell up. I cant count how many times I've gotten banned defending my country here. If I was fake, I wouldn't even follow Ghanaians on this forum so I wouldn't be made out. And here I'm following anybody I notice to be a Ghanaian.

You can also do well to refer me to other threads where I've "spewed thrash" against Ghana. At least lethalbeast sees most of my posts and he can help you with that if there's any. You're quick to show how lethargic you're when most ghanians on this forum have seen me defending Ghana. I said I've been to three weddings and they didn't share food so why is your pussy leaking all over my posts? Why am I even explaining to someone with a dead brain, you're obviously stupid and pained.
I wouldn't be surprised you're not a Ghanaian yourself just someone who's obsessed with Maky. Even my moniker is enough to tell you as Maky stands for Makafui.
Keep coming for me na, jobless cretin. When you find a job at least you'll be able to get pad and put your leaking pussy in check.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by leathalbeast: 11:32am On Sep 28, 2017
RoyalPearl:

I ain't like that so it means am telling you the truth. Don't be fooled by that girl trust me.. Its very obvious she is not who she claims to be and am laughing at all the fools who keep following her up and down like sheep's.

Which normal person will intentionally spew false krap about their own country. Its only fake people that to so. Same thing with that kwame guy who was actually a south African pretending to be a ghanaian. Anyways 2 be honest if she wants to pretend to be an alien from space idgaf but as long as she keeps spewing fake trash about my country I will continue to call her/him/it out. Mtchew
why are you getting so worked up about this! she is a Ghanaian who has lived some part of her life in Nigeria, surely she will have some aspects of her that may look Nigerian-like but this doesn't prove she is fake. I have seen her defend Ghana several times even before we became friends. she is a Ghanaian so the earlier you accept it the better for you. until you bring any concrete proof that she isn't plz desist from that.
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by RoyalPearl(f): 11:35am On Sep 28, 2017
makydebbie:
[s] Keep trolling since you're jobless and obsessed with me. Oh please shut the hell up. I cant count how many times I've gotten banned defending my country here. If I was fake, I wouldn't even follow Ghanaians on this forum so I wouldn't be made out. And here I'm following anybody I notice to be a Ghanaian.

You can also do well to refer me to other threads where I've "spewed thrash" against Ghana. At least lethalbeast sees most of my posts and he can help you with that if there's any. You're quick to show how lethargic you're when most ghanians on this forum have seen me defending Ghana. I said I've been to three weddings and they didn't share food so why is your pussy leaking all over my posts? Why am I even explaining to someone with a dead brain, you're obviously stupid and pained.
I wouldn't be surprised you're not a Ghanaian yourself just someone who's obsessed with Maky. Even my moniker is enough to tell you as Maky stands for Makafui.
Keep coming for me na, jobless cretin. When you find a job at least you'll be able to get pad and put your leaking pussy in check.

Not surprised by all this uncouth and vulgar words from your mouth. Lmao talking about a jobless cretin when you spend your whole life on Nairaland. I didn't bother to read your ish cos I got put off by all the vulgar words.

If and when you continue to spew trash about Ghana and I happen to see it I will continue to call you out whether you like it or not.

Do have yourself a good day smiley cheesy grin smiley wink
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by RoyalPearl(f): 11:41am On Sep 28, 2017
leathalbeast:
why are you getting so worked up about this! she is a Ghanaian who has lived some part of her life in Nigeria, surely she will have some aspects of her that may look Nigerian-like but this doesn't prove she is fake. I have seen her defend Ghana several times even before we became friends. she is a Ghanaian so the earlier you accept it the better for you. until you bring any concrete proof that she isn't plz desist from that.

I am not getting worked up. If someone constantly spews fake trash about Nigeria all the time am sure you will say something about it.

If she spent most of her life in Nigeria as you say and she is not familiar with the Ghanaian culture then she must try to desist from making ridiculous and false comments wrt topics that she has no clue about.

This has been happening for so long and have not said anything. I guess this time around I wanted to put the record straight. I really don't see any harm in that to be honest. If someone keeps going about misleading people then surely its not a crime to set things straight is it?
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by buzzmania(m): 11:43am On Sep 28, 2017
Come on! You girls should calm your tits down grin.No need to trade words over such a trivial issue. @makydebbie, royalpearl
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by RoyalPearl(f): 11:44am On Sep 28, 2017
buzzmania:
Come on! You girls should calm your tits down grin.No need to trade words over such a trivial issue.
grin grin grin. Honestly I am cool. You know I hardly comment on such stuff, even the time when she was spewing rubbish about Ghanaian men I didn't say anything. But some idiot went to make an idiotic comment misrepresenting Ghanaian culture and instead of she (the Ghanaian to set the record straight ) she is rather misleading Ppl more which kinda irked me.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Micheal Ameh Oboni Dies! The Attah Of Igala Is Dead / Machete Passes Through Man's Stomach, During Cultural Display In Akwa Ibom State / French Speakers And French Learners On Nairaland!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.