Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,067 members, 7,810,992 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:10 PM

Share Any Of Your Experience About Culture Shock In Nigeria - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Share Any Of Your Experience About Culture Shock In Nigeria (1814 Views)

South Africa Culture Shock: 2 Scantly Dressed Women, Different Public Reactions / Shock As Men Steal Meat From Lions / What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Share Any Of Your Experience About Culture Shock In Nigeria by LeeSmart: 4:00pm On Feb 13
My first culture shock in nigeria was in benue state.
Visited a friend of mine and it was time for dinner, they brought swallow (fufu) and a bowl of water so we could wash our hands. I noticed that my friend will wash his hands inside the bowl every 2 minutes while eating, it became irritating to me i had to giveup eating lol. I was like na like so una dey do for this place?
It happens that almost every Tiv man does that.

Lets hear ur own culture shock experiences guys

@Dominique
@mynd44
@seun
@nlfpmod

5 Likes

Re: Share Any Of Your Experience About Culture Shock In Nigeria by Sirmwill: 4:04pm On Feb 13
One local government in one state where snakes can come inside the house anytime and people must not kill them

Who can guess the name of the state?

1 Like

Re: Share Any Of Your Experience About Culture Shock In Nigeria by LeeSmart: 4:18pm On Feb 13
Sirmwill:
One local government in one state where snakes can come inside the house anytime and people must not kill them

Omor this one loud oo. No vex oo na rubber snake abi na true-true snake?

3 Likes

Re: Share Any Of Your Experience About Culture Shock In Nigeria by Sirmwill: 4:21pm On Feb 13
LeeSmart:

Omor this one loud oo. No vex oo na rubber snake abi na true-true snake?

Real snake ooo

People that know the place know oo 🤣
Re: Share Any Of Your Experience About Culture Shock In Nigeria by illicit(m): 4:26pm On Feb 13
😶
Re: Share Any Of Your Experience About Culture Shock In Nigeria by almarthins(m): 4:26pm On Feb 13
Sirmwill:

Anambra
Re: Share Any Of Your Experience About Culture Shock In Nigeria by worldclass68(m): 4:31pm On Feb 13
Sirmwill:

U mean Anambra....well I grow up there and I dey kill snake wella..... (Umudioka compound, Ichide)
Re: Share Any Of Your Experience About Culture Shock In Nigeria by advanceDNA: 4:44pm On Feb 13
Indomie 300 naira / àtà gígún 950 naira

Bàyo....I no go forget u Lai Lai...

U nearly burn my taste buds with pepper ...

5 Likes

Re: Share Any Of Your Experience About Culture Shock In Nigeria by Sonnobax15(m): 4:50pm On Feb 13
lipsrsealed
Here in Delta state,there is one village called orogun here in Ughelli north LGA where our former DSP hails from,they worship the monitor lizard,i.e aligator...........As a matter of fact,it's regarded as their mother.....That whenever it visits your house,you must accord respect and entertain it cheesy. And if by mistake you kill it via an accident,you will be compelled to give it a befitting burial just like in the case of a human being..

And the funniest part is that these mammals can be seen roaming and strolling around the village and you dare not touch or tamper with them..

4 Likes

Re: Share Any Of Your Experience About Culture Shock In Nigeria by LeeSmart: 5:02pm On Feb 13
advanceDNA:
Indomie 300 naira / àtà gígún 950 naira

Bàyo....I no go forget u Lai Lai...

U nearly burn my taste buds with pepper ...

Lol ur 1st time for S.W i guess

1 Like

Re: Share Any Of Your Experience About Culture Shock In Nigeria by LeeSmart: 5:03pm On Feb 13
Sonnobax15:
lipsrsealed
Here in Delta state,there is one village called orogun here in Ughelli north LGA where our former DSP hails from,they worship the monitor lizard,i.e aligator...........As a matter of fact,it's regarded as their mother.....That whenever it visits your house,you must accord respect and entertain it cheesy. And if by mistake you kill it via an accident,you will be compelled to give it a befitting burial just like in the case of a human being..
Kai

1 Like

Re: Share Any Of Your Experience About Culture Shock In Nigeria by richiemcgold: 5:53pm On Feb 13
I was once in a riverine community in the south where the only place you can have your bath are the local rivers. A particular river is for males, while another one nearby is for female. On my first visit to the river, I saw nudes everywhere and nobody dey shy. At first, it was very hard for me to remove my clothes in the presence of many people. But I later got used to it.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Any Of Your Experience About Culture Shock In Nigeria by LeeSmart: 5:59pm On Feb 13
richiemcgold:
I was once in a riverine community in the south where the only place you can have your bath are the local rivers. A particular river is for males, while another one nearby is for female. On my first visit to the river, I saw nudes everywhere and nobody dey shy. At first, it was very hard for me to remove my clothes in the presence of many people. But I later got used to it.
Lol bros u sure say no be dis village adam nd eve first settled?

8 Likes

Re: Share Any Of Your Experience About Culture Shock In Nigeria by Nicepoker(m): 6:30pm On Feb 13
A village in a particular LGA of Akwa ibom state. They do not eat snails.

3 Likes

Re: Share Any Of Your Experience About Culture Shock In Nigeria by Sonnobax15(m): 8:02pm On Feb 13
Nicepoker:
A village in a particular LGA of Akwa ibom state. They do not eat snails.
Same as ozoro in Delta state....they don't eat snails as well... while another community don't a certain vegetable

2 Likes

Re: Share Any Of Your Experience About Culture Shock In Nigeria by NPFLADMIN(m): 9:19pm On Feb 13
So 9ja get this kind shock? And person no know?
Re: Share Any Of Your Experience About Culture Shock In Nigeria by U09ce: 9:34pm On Feb 13
Cultural shock for me was seeing adults bathing naked in the open at NYSC camp

2 Likes

Re: Share Any Of Your Experience About Culture Shock In Nigeria by Switinthemiddle(m): 10:04pm On Feb 13
People from my village here in makeke at akoko edo in edo state, we do not do money rituals it never works for us and it always reverses

3 Likes

Re: Share Any Of Your Experience About Culture Shock In Nigeria by TheMensch(m): 10:17pm On Feb 13
Dah
The greatest cultural shock in my life was when I went to North to find out that there are really human beings in this Nigeria that DO NOT understand or speak English, not even pidgin! lipsrsealed

13 Likes

Re: Share Any Of Your Experience About Culture Shock In Nigeria by bummyla(m): 11:04pm On Feb 13
I am an Igbo man I wash my hands more than 10 times before I finish eating my swallow! It is not a cultural thing! It is habit!

LeeSmart:
My first culture shock in nigeria was in benue state.
Visited a friend of mine and it was time for dinner, they brought swallow (fufu) and a bowl of water so we could wash our hands. I noticed that my friend will wash his hands inside the bowl every 2 minutes while eating, it became irritating to me i had to giveup eating lol. I was like na like so una dey do for this place?
It happens that almost every Tiv man does that.

Lets hear ur own culture shock experiences guys

@Dominique
@mynd44
@seun
@nlfpmod

1 Like

Re: Share Any Of Your Experience About Culture Shock In Nigeria by bummyla(m): 11:05pm On Feb 13
You did not live in the hostel while in Uni! And You did not attend boarding school!

U09ce:
Cultural shock for me was seeing adults bathing naked in the open at NYSC camp

5 Likes

Re: Share Any Of Your Experience About Culture Shock In Nigeria by U09ce: 11:16pm On Feb 13
bummyla:
You did not live in the hostel while in Uni! And You did not attend boarding school!

It wasn't practised in my university. Infact, it's weird for someone to expose their unclothedness even to a same gender, except if there's a marital relationship

2 Likes

Re: Share Any Of Your Experience About Culture Shock In Nigeria by bummyla(m): 11:21pm On Feb 13
I served in Kogi state! This particular lady was always inviting corpers to come and dine in her place. The first day I decided to go! I was served food, as I properly trained man, I said "Thank You Ma"

To thank you host for a meal is considered an insult to the host according to the lady! I did not know! Nobody told me!

3 Times I thanked her she pretended not to hear me.

After I finished eating the fufu, I needed water to wash my hand, I tried calling her attention, but she ignored me, after a while I washed my hand inside the soup bowl, and all hell let loose!

She was very mad, that I came to her house to disrespect her, by saying "Thank Yous" And to crown up the insult, I washed my hand inside the bowl of soup!

She nearly attacked me physically.

To wash your hands inside the plate means "The food was horrible"

6 Likes

Re: Share Any Of Your Experience About Culture Shock In Nigeria by ezegenigbonine: 11:35pm On Feb 13
Sirmwill:

MACHINA local government area YOBE STATE.
So irritating that you can't kill even poisonous cobra

Then some villages in Anambra and IMO state, but their's were small pythons which is not poisonous

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Any Of Your Experience About Culture Shock In Nigeria by bummyla(m): 11:36pm On Feb 13
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy I never saw my siblings unclothedness, because we all had our room, but I went to boarding school, we all had a common bathroom, in Uni stayed off campus, we had a very large bathroom that 10 people can comfortably had their bath, so we were always sharing the bathroom, but when I went to marry my ex-wife, they were about 11 in their house, 3 ladies and 8 young men , their parent are late and they share a room and parlor! Shame no dey gree me enter inside their house, because they were all nudist if they accept you as one of them. Somebody was always naked. Which was part of the problem we had in our marriage, she never closed the windows when she was changing her clothes, she still wants to be naked around her siblings.

U09ce:

It wasn't practised in my university. Infact, it's weird for someone to expose their unclothedness even to a same gender, except if there's a marital relationship
Re: Share Any Of Your Experience About Culture Shock In Nigeria by Gadafii: 11:54pm On Feb 13
Reading comments

2 Likes

Re: Share Any Of Your Experience About Culture Shock In Nigeria by LenaJon(f): 1:05am On Feb 14
bummyla:
I am an Igbo man I wash my hands more than 10 times before I finish eating my swallow! It is not a cultural thing! It is habit!

Why please, if I may ask?

I'll understand if it's two or three times. But 10 times or even more, is just too much for me though.

5 Likes

Re: Share Any Of Your Experience About Culture Shock In Nigeria by poshestmina(f): 1:20am On Feb 14
First shock was seeing those Army officers with padlocks on their lips and you dare not bring any of your hands down (During that Niger Delta crisis period).

My Benue friend made soup with dry hibicups (Zobo leaves) embarassed but it was nice though.
Re: Share Any Of Your Experience About Culture Shock In Nigeria by Ekpekus(m): 4:54am On Feb 14
Sonnobax15:
lipsrsealed

And the funniest part is that these mammals can be seen roaming and strolling around the village and you dare not touch or tamper with them..
Iguana nai you dey call monitor lizard abi alligator??
Bros... na Iguana

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Are Yoruba People Jealous Of Igbo People? / 'i'm Proud Of My Ph.d In Yoruba Language' 33-year-old French National. Pics. / Ooni Of Ife: Abobaku Allegedly Runs Away

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.