Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,085 members, 7,814,757 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:09 PM

Car Models You Should Avoid As Second Or Third Handed Acquisition.... - Car Talk (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Car Models You Should Avoid As Second Or Third Handed Acquisition.... (54203 Views)

Car Models From The Same And Different Brands That Share The Same Platforms / These Are The Longest-ever Living Car Models / China To Ban Production Of 553 Car Models From Jan.1 To Fight Air Pollution (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Car Models You Should Avoid As Second Or Third Handed Acquisition.... by MichaelSokoto(m): 11:43am On Sep 23, 2017
1metre:
my point is, if u buy those cars brand new, u won't hv any cause for panic. Not everyone can afford a brand new car but instead of buying a ten years old car better be patient and go for something better.
Oga read topic of dis thread again..

1 Like

Re: Car Models You Should Avoid As Second Or Third Handed Acquisition.... by menstrualpad: 11:46am On Sep 23, 2017
Jakumo:
Avoid ANY car that is equipped with air suspension, or hydraulic suspension, all known as "Baloon" in Nigeria.

Mercedes cars made after the year 2000 lead the pack of offenders who created this demonic technology, and when it breaks down, be prepared to pay more than the cost of the entire car, just to fix the suspension.
Reminds me of the Renault with 607 V6 engine. Forgot the name
Re: Car Models You Should Avoid As Second Or Third Handed Acquisition.... by pafek(m): 11:47am On Sep 23, 2017
adanny01:

When a mechanic handles your car away from home, it will never be the same.

Even Golf 3 has serious electrical problems which if not handled we becomes a nightmare to the car owner. But it's widely used for commercial purposes.
are you now agreeing to the fact that its not the vehicle nor the manufacturer at fault here but the road side mechanic?
Re: Car Models You Should Avoid As Second Or Third Handed Acquisition.... by MichaelSokoto(m): 11:49am On Sep 23, 2017
one car in dis world I have known for long, Honda Accord Bullet..

I can confidently bet my left ball on dis one, my aunty bought it Belgium around 2003/2004 and now d son dey still flex am, d car still over dey kampe! cool

4 Likes

Re: Car Models You Should Avoid As Second Or Third Handed Acquisition.... by menstrualpad: 11:49am On Sep 23, 2017
pafek:

are you now agreeing to the fact that its not the vehicle nor the manufacturer at fault here but the road side mechanic?
VW are not known for dependable vehicles in the manner of Toyota though.

1 Like

Re: Car Models You Should Avoid As Second Or Third Handed Acquisition.... by Tecno66: 11:50am On Sep 23, 2017
menstrualpad:

Interesting I see golf three all around as taxis. Maybe he had a wicked Kazeem
I use Golf 3. I'll buy another one if I have the means. If you have a good car but a bad mechanic, he will frustrate you to sell off. I have seen a mechanic frustrate a car owner to sell off and the buyer got a good mechanic and he started enjoying the car to the envy of the man who sold the car to him.

3 Likes

Re: Car Models You Should Avoid As Second Or Third Handed Acquisition.... by Jakumo(m): 11:51am On Sep 23, 2017
Toyota trucks are notorious for suffering major steering failure without warning.

The Toyota 4 Runner is a notable example. I have seen a year 2004 Toyota 4Runner suffer multiple, sequential steering ball-joint failures that typically caused one of the front wheels to snap free, and turn sharply against the direction of travel, reducing the driver to the status of a hapless passenger in the blink of an eye.

I owned a Toyota 4WD pickup truck once, and experienced THREE steering failures that required a mechanic to remove the vehicle later. Those failures luckily happened at slow speeds, but such random luck is never guaranteed. In other words, fate does not like to be tempted too often.

When major steering failure occurs at highway speeds, vehicles can get airborne, and execute spectacular cart-wheels, spewing their occupants in the process, so, to reduce your chances of being one of such airborne passengers, do not buy, or travel aboard, a Toyota truck of any description.

4 Likes

Re: Car Models You Should Avoid As Second Or Third Handed Acquisition.... by Adaowerri111: 11:51am On Sep 23, 2017
muosky:
wetin Fx do you abeg?

Na useless motor wey nor fit stop to overheat
Re: Car Models You Should Avoid As Second Or Third Handed Acquisition.... by CaptPlanet(m): 11:53am On Sep 23, 2017
MichaelSokoto:

seriously? Honda? wat of Honda bullet?

ya village ppl has ya direct contact line in dia coven, bro grin

I swear! Them do me shege but I don change line...lol

Every honda from Discussion continues down na war. Unless say na brand new.

Nothing fit make me drive honda again unless say na dash.

1 Like

Re: Car Models You Should Avoid As Second Or Third Handed Acquisition.... by Nobody: 11:54am On Sep 23, 2017
adanny01:

You gave that particular one HIV.

As far as am concerned, no issues with EOD

One of most durable cars I have used: Honda EoD.

1 Like

Re: Car Models You Should Avoid As Second Or Third Handed Acquisition.... by CaptPlanet(m): 11:54am On Sep 23, 2017
GreatUniben:

Honda cars tire used to break easily

Not just the tire. The legs, gear box, sensor, electricals..etc.

I heard nwi
Re: Car Models You Should Avoid As Second Or Third Handed Acquisition.... by Nobody: 11:56am On Sep 23, 2017
Jakumo:
Toyota trucks are notorious for suffering major steering failure without warning.

The Toyota 4 Runner is a notable example. I have seen a year 2004 Toyota 4Runner suffer multiple, sequential steering ball-joint failures that typically caused one of the front wheels to snap free, and turn sharply against the direction of travel, reducing the driver to the status of a hapless passenger in the blink of an eye.

I owned a Toyota 4WD once, and experienced THREE steering failures that required a mechanic to remove the vehicle later. Those failures luckily happened at slow speeds, but such random luck is never guaranteed. In other words, fate does not like to be tempted too often.

When major steering failure occurs at highway speeds, vehicles can get airborne, and execute spectacular cart-wheels, spewing their occupants in the process, so, to reduce your chances of being one of such airborne passengers, do not buy, or travel aboard, a Toyota truck of any description.

Does this include Hilux models?

1 Like

Re: Car Models You Should Avoid As Second Or Third Handed Acquisition.... by pafek(m): 11:58am On Sep 23, 2017
menstrualpad:

VW are not known for dependable vehicles in the manner of Toyota though.
true. but also remember that if u must marry a Yoruba lady, u should learn how to eat pepper or an igbo lady, u should be business oriented, or a hausa lady, should learn to be defensive even with ur life.., the choice boils down to preferences

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Car Models You Should Avoid As Second Or Third Handed Acquisition.... by Jakumo(m): 12:06pm On Sep 23, 2017
Watermelonman:

Does this include Hilux models?

Yes indeed, the Hilux Toyota pickup trucks are based on that same failure-prone ball-joint steering design, though I cannot say for sure whether the problem was ever rectified, and if so, what year that flawed steering design was discontinued in favor of a safer construction.
Re: Car Models You Should Avoid As Second Or Third Handed Acquisition.... by Reference(m): 12:11pm On Sep 23, 2017
nurey:
Avoid anything bugatti as their fuel economy isn't friendly, at high speed you have to buy fuel every 20 minutes.

Avoid anything Rolls-Royce as its a thug magnet and flirt magnet. You get flirt from the opposite sex at any free contact. You can't Park in peace as hoodlums would mob you begging for this and that.

Avoid anything Bentley as the parts are not readily available. Even a mud flap plastic bolt has to be booked a Month from the manufacturer.

Avoid anything Lamborghini, the ground clearance is too low, any even road would hit the under continously.

Avoid anything Ferrari as the color is mostly red, people would say you got blood on your hands.

Avoid anything Porsche as it scares people away from you and they always feel you are pompous.

Please stay away from the massarati Marque the electronic technicalities in that car is for future generations.

To those of you who will ask if I have used all these cars, the answer is...

.....hearsay...
Re: Car Models You Should Avoid As Second Or Third Handed Acquisition.... by Nobody: 12:12pm On Sep 23, 2017
Adaowerri111:

Where is d fx? I will fix it for you
Re: Car Models You Should Avoid As Second Or Third Handed Acquisition.... by menstrualpad: 12:16pm On Sep 23, 2017
Adaowerri111:

Beware of anyone promising you a fix on Nairaland. If he/she is not established here. Avoid stories that touch o. Some are just after your hard-earned money...once you enter their trap, it's over.

For Nissan problems kindly contact Costee. He is on Nairaland here. And has been assisting members... check his posts out.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Car Models You Should Avoid As Second Or Third Handed Acquisition.... by goodvision12(m): 12:22pm On Sep 23, 2017
menstrualpad:

Do you want to spend your lifetime correcting a factory deliberate errors or just drive your car to achieve your goals?
I just want to use it for sometime before i think of selling it off
Re: Car Models You Should Avoid As Second Or Third Handed Acquisition.... by menstrualpad: 12:23pm On Sep 23, 2017
goodvision12:
I just want to use it for sometime before i think of selling it off
OK.
Re: Car Models You Should Avoid As Second Or Third Handed Acquisition.... by goodvision12(m): 12:26pm On Sep 23, 2017
menstrualpad:

OK.
should i upload the picture of the motor for yu to see it
Re: Car Models You Should Avoid As Second Or Third Handed Acquisition.... by menstrualpad: 12:33pm On Sep 23, 2017
goodvision12:
should i upload the picture of the motor for yu to see it
I know it. From a close experience. Sell is still my advice. Unless you have a very competent Mech. Cut your losses.
Re: Car Models You Should Avoid As Second Or Third Handed Acquisition.... by goodvision12(m): 12:36pm On Sep 23, 2017
menstrualpad:

I know it. From a close experience. Sell is still my advice. Unless you have a very competent Mech. Cut your losses.
Like how much will you advice me to sell it
Re: Car Models You Should Avoid As Second Or Third Handed Acquisition.... by 1metre: 12:38pm On Sep 23, 2017
menstrualpad:

Lol... Well include a variable like predominance of kidnappers....
lol..u funny. By the way, why bearing this horrible moniker....it's hard to pronounce
Re: Car Models You Should Avoid As Second Or Third Handed Acquisition.... by 1metre: 12:40pm On Sep 23, 2017
platinumricky:
I disagree with you. the First Generation Audi AllRoad and Land Rover Freelander were labeled notorious Lemons abroad. There are dedicated web pages listing known issues of these two particular vehicles - the issues of these two are as a result of poor design/quality control , that's why they seem to be mostly found in their natural habitat... Mechanic Workshops. Buy at ur own peril!
noted
Re: Car Models You Should Avoid As Second Or Third Handed Acquisition.... by mamajaz(f): 12:58pm On Sep 23, 2017
menstrualpad:

Not by force to log into your toolbox.... Don't take it personal... it's just a matter of principle... and discipline.

Lest I forget... Jeep Grand Cherokee... Naija used... Your village People will be happy... please avoid if you cannot verify if it has been abused by previous owners.
We wanted to get Mitsubishi sometimes ago, but my uncle who's a Mech engine... called me and said "bishi" o kin se eru omode o, in fact, avoid all wired cars as second hand by all means.

1 Like

Re: Car Models You Should Avoid As Second Or Third Handed Acquisition.... by Reference(m): 1:08pm On Sep 23, 2017
luxy44:

You dey mind dem? Educated that seeks the opinion of Kazeem on what car to buy.

I partly disagree. One thing education delivers is the respect for knowledge even if the bearer is of a lower social status. Observe I said respect for knowledge because all the mental resources of the world are not domiciled with the dedicated alone. Some of the great advancements in history have been made by uneducated but knowledgeable folks who were just inspired to do things.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Car Models You Should Avoid As Second Or Third Handed Acquisition.... by menstrualpad: 1:38pm On Sep 23, 2017
goodvision12:
Like how much will you advice me to sell it
do a survey of similar vehicles... but one thing I know is that the earlier you dispose of it the better
Re: Car Models You Should Avoid As Second Or Third Handed Acquisition.... by chronique(m): 1:54pm On Sep 23, 2017
Naturallyme:
I have read All replies here. You people don't know anything about vehicles. You want your mechanic to do all the thinking despite your education. These mechanisms are not rocket science as its something anybody can understand. I became a mechanic to myself because I research about problems I encountered on my vehicle. I tell my mechanic Wat to do. I do the troubleshooting myself. I am not undermining their experiences but there is limit to what there thinking could get to. Some are shallow thinkers. Every vehicle brand has its own problems. I have pictures of broken-down vechles of many brands. Problem starts when you allow your timing belt to cut. It's takes God's grace to get it back to normal. Some of you use inferior car chargers and complain your vehicle has electrical problem. You park your car with the mechanic and leave. You don't know what happens afterwards. Over maintenance is what is killing some of us. Mechanics using defective tools to work. Not respecting fit and tolerances, avoiding specified oil grades because of cost. Some are Ill advised by mechanic. These are our major problem. I have been using Volvo s80 for 3+ years i have not encountered any big problem . I hardly get flat tires and i use tokunbo tires with special selection. It's always a serious problem changing my tyres because I hardly loose the nuts . I change my tyre when the groove is less not when it has been patched severally. We need to have good maintenance culture and be knowledgeable about cars we use. I laughed at all these comments here. You guys are naive. My site is coming up soon. Www.mymaintenanceadvisor.com.ng

You are a car owner. Ordinary OBD II car scanner you no get and your are driving 3M worth of car.. Ordinary multi meter you no get let alone having a small tool box. Most of these faults are small faults o but when your mechanic start tampering with other vehicle parts, they hardly restore them back to original position. Be wise my people and develop problem solving skills

You dey mind them?
Re: Car Models You Should Avoid As Second Or Third Handed Acquisition.... by menstrualpad: 1:58pm On Sep 23, 2017
chronique:

You dey mind them?

dont be intolerant and quit being insultive to people like you have a low self esteem.
Re: Car Models You Should Avoid As Second Or Third Handed Acquisition.... by bisi16(m): 2:02pm On Sep 23, 2017
Mutuwa:

3 and 4.
I had witnessed how Golf 4 wiring issues messed my friend up.

For u to have mentioned Golf 3, u know absolutely nothing abt MKs. U're making ur assumptions on hear-say. Car that only took me to mechanic once in 3 to 4 months for servicing only, u are blabbing what u don't know abt. Abeg park well!
Re: Car Models You Should Avoid As Second Or Third Handed Acquisition.... by goodvision12(m): 2:27pm On Sep 23, 2017
menstrualpad:

do a survey of similar vehicles... but one thing I know is that the earlier you dispose of it the better
ok thanx

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

2007 Toyota Avalon or 2007 Toyota Corolla: Which Should I Buy? / This N720m Limousine Can Move On Land And On Water – Its Awesome! / Would You Take This Dirty Lamborghini Or A Very Clean Toyota Camry?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.