Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,853 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:41 AM

Nigeria Vs Biafra; A Dicey Game - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Vs Biafra; A Dicey Game (1175 Views)

The Nigeria Vs Biafra Story In Pictures; 1967 - 2017 - Pic / This CNN 1968 Documentary About Nigeria VS Biafra War Will Shock You [VIDEO] / Without The Sound Of The Barrel! Niger Delta Vs Biafra (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Vs Biafra; A Dicey Game by Hedriz(m): 8:44pm On Sep 22, 2017
NIGERIA VS BIAFRA; A DICEY GAME

BY; SHOTUNDE OLADIMEJI
Student;
LAGOS STATE UNIVERSITY

The Nigerian state came into existence by virtue of Lord Lugard's amalgamation proclamation speech; delivered on January 1, 1914. This brought the Southern and Northern protectorates together; forming a single entity called Nigeria. From this time, the entity has continued to function as a nation inhabited by people of diverse ethnic, tribal and religious backgrounds.

At different points in the country's history, issues of ethnic marginalization have risen. These have led to agitations for secession. However, these agitations; over the years, have not been successful as there has been reluctance on the part of the central government to accede to such demands.

One of such historic calls for disintegration was the agitation for the secession of the then Eastern region;which was spear- headed by Lieutenant Colonel Ojukwu on May 30, 1967 and brought about the historic civil war. It started on July 6, 1967 and lasted for three (3) years (1970). This civil war culminated in heavy bloodshed which saw the nation losing close to three (3) million indigenes ;mainly women and children. At the end, Lieutenant Colonel Ojukwu embraced the olive branch extended to him by the Federal Military Government of General Yakubu Gowon and this brought and end to the civil war.

It should be noted that the civil war of 1967-1970 was ignited on a roundtable and in the same vein, resolved on a roundtable. This implies that the bloodshed we witnessed then was uncalled for. Let me put this on record: Neither Ojukwu nor Gowon's family were at the battle front during that period as their immediate families were flown abroad for safety; leaving the children, youths and adults of the Nigerian state to bear whatever fallout thereafter.

Just recently, a serious agitation surfaced which involved those clamouring for the Sovereign Republic of Biafra been led by Mr. Nnamdi Kanu asking for a referendum and ultimately; the secession of South-Eastern Nigeria. The Federal Government is not willing to give in to Mr Kanu's demands and this has led to physical confrontations between the Nigerian Army and supporters of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) which is led by Kanu.

Within the purview of ongoing events, a referendum is literally impossible to serve as a means to achieving their aim as a number of Eastern lawmakers in conjunction with other lawmakers would work against the actualization of that state (BIAFRA). This shows that even within the Igbo circle; all is not well. Realizing this bitter truth, the only alternative available to this group is secession which they might or would not get.

Will the call for secession ease the problem we are currently facing? Will the actualization of the Sovereign State of Biafra, should their request be granted, take the Igbo people to the promised land or bring about a wave of internal crises especially when it is time to decide who and which part of the state will rule the new republic; Biafra?. If I can get cogent answers to these questions, then, I don't have any objection against the actualization of that state. However, if the answers are unconvincing and look self centred, I have no reservation in recommending that the Federal Government exercise its might by silencing those agitators therein.

From my observation so far, both parties are at fault in the way and manner they approached the issue. The federal government is displaying political immaturity by deploying military personnel to silence the agitators. This, in my own opinion, is not the right thing to do. Of what use is the military in civilian matters when we have the police force? Matters like this should not involve the military as it would only give prominence to the issue. The best thing the military has done so far is their enforcement of the "Operation Python Dance" and just recently want to introduce the "Crocodile Smile". This, I do not think, would solve the situation on ground.

I must not fail to fault the outlandish utterances of the Biafra leader; Nnamdi Kanu. His statements and wordings at times are subject to scrutiny and are capable of causing chaos in a sane society. Also, engaging Turkey to help them fight the battle is a step too far as he might not be able to control what he has started.

The most painful part of it all is seeing the Eastern youths display acts of illiteracy and showing incivility in their agitations. I just feel they might be used and dumped. During the 1967-1970 civil war, both Gowon and Ojukwu were never at the battlefield and their immediate families were never in the country at that time. Relating it to this similar event, Buhari and Kanu will not be on the battlefield. Instead, it would be the children of the masses, left at the mercy of sporadic shooting and hazardous weaponry. The Eastern youths should have a rethink. They should not allow themselves to be used by individuals who have their own personal agenda.

I implore president Muhammad Buhari and the leader of IPOB; Nnamdi Kanu to exercise care, thread with caution and be quick to realize that if this situation degenerates further and leads to war, they will bear the curses of future generations as this situation requires logical thinking, articulate enunciation and utmost display of sagacity.

Irrespective of what President Buhari and Nnamdi Kanu might have in mind, they should not forget the bloodshed that followed the civil war of between 1967-1970 which claimed millions of innocent lives. They should not kick-start a situation they may not be able to control. They should employ all possible means to pervert any war and acrimony that might want to rear its ugly head at this critical time in the history Nigeria. Nigeria is too complex to handle matters with levity. When two elephants fight, the grass is made to suffer. I hope the masses won't be at the receiving end of this struggle. What we need now is good governance and not restructuring or secession. God bless Nigeria!

Thanks for reading.
Shotunde Oladimeji

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Biafra; A Dicey Game by Oladimeji07(m): 9:45pm On Sep 22, 2017
Great piece.
Re: Nigeria Vs Biafra; A Dicey Game by Oladimeji07(m): 9:49pm On Sep 22, 2017
Re: Nigeria Vs Biafra; A Dicey Game by BALLOSKI: 10:03pm On Sep 22, 2017
Summary:

Neither Ojukwu nor Gowon's family were at the battle front during that period as their immediate families were flown abroad for safety; leaving the children, youths and adults of the Nigerian state to bear whatever fallout thereafter.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Biafra; A Dicey Game by Oladimeji07(m): 10:19pm On Sep 22, 2017
BALLOSKI:

Summary:

great comment.
Re: Nigeria Vs Biafra; A Dicey Game by expialidocious: 10:35pm On Sep 22, 2017
BALLOSKI:

Summary:

Wrong. Ojukwu's dad, Chief Louis Odemegwu Ojukwu (purportedly the richest black man of his time) died in Biafra....
Re: Nigeria Vs Biafra; A Dicey Game by BALLOSKI: 10:50pm On Sep 22, 2017
expialidocious:

Wrong. Ojukwu's dad, Chief Louis Odemegwu Ojukwu (purportedly the richest black man of his time) died in Biafra....
I'm hearing this for the first time. Are you sure Ojukwu senior was not dead before biafra?
Re: Nigeria Vs Biafra; A Dicey Game by expialidocious: 10:57pm On Sep 22, 2017
BALLOSKI:
I'm hearing this for the first time. Are you sure Ojukwu senior was not dead before biafra?
Nope. He died during the war. very sure
Re: Nigeria Vs Biafra; A Dicey Game by Oladimeji07(m): 2:23am On Sep 23, 2017
expialidocious:

Nope. He died during the war. very sure

Hearing this for the first time
Re: Nigeria Vs Biafra; A Dicey Game by Oladimeji07(m): 6:19am On Sep 23, 2017
BALLOSKI:

Yes. His death was not pertaining to the war
Re: Nigeria Vs Biafra; A Dicey Game by BALLOSKI: 10:13am On Sep 23, 2017
Oladimeji07:

Yes. His death was not pertaining to the war
OK .
Re: Nigeria Vs Biafra; A Dicey Game by Oladimeji07(m): 1:57pm On Sep 23, 2017
Yes
Re: Nigeria Vs Biafra; A Dicey Game by Oladimeji07(m): 5:07pm On Sep 23, 2017
Re: Nigeria Vs Biafra; A Dicey Game by Oladimeji07(m): 10:25pm On Sep 23, 2017
A united Nigeria is very much ideal.
Re: Nigeria Vs Biafra; A Dicey Game by Oladimeji07(m): 3:35am On Sep 24, 2017
Sentiments aside. We need each other to grow.

(1) (Reply)

Opinion: Buhari Vs. Atiku - Who Will Win? / ‘my Face Is Burning!’- Human Ken Doll Rodrigo Alves (photos) / Rochas Okorochas With Newly-elected President Of Liberia George Weah [photo]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.