Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,670 members, 7,827,458 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 12:22 PM

My Toyota Camry 2002 (2.4) Refuses To Start But I Cranking Fine (engine Turns) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Toyota Camry 2002 (2.4) Refuses To Start But I Cranking Fine (engine Turns) (1942 Views)

A Weird Cranking Noise Coming From The Engine Of RX 350 (2009) / Nisan Partfinder Cranking Can't Start / 06 Corolla Steady Cranking Issues (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Toyota Camry 2002 (2.4) Refuses To Start But I Cranking Fine (engine Turns) by Akgelo2k: 12:01pm On Sep 24, 2017
For the car gurus, while driving my car I heard a chirping sound so I parked the car and checked the bonnet..noticed my timing belt was slipping off, tried fixing it back and continued my journey only for the car to finally stop.called my mech checked it and noticed that one of the pulleys on which the timing belt rolls(the one reponsible for turning the engine) had broken..he replaced it..however 2 days later the exact same thing happened again...so they opened it up to find out what's making it break...turns out a small key which helps keep the pulley in place had worn out..so this was changed along side a new pulley...after coupling everything, they started the car and heard a cracking sound, on 2nd attempt, the engine could no longer turn...so they loosened everything again..noticed that one of the teeth of the sproket(thats what they called it) upon which the timing chain turns, had cut...4 valves had broken and another 4 were bent...so my engine top was brought down and sent to someone else to replace the valves and "ground" them(dunno what that means)....this was done and the engine coupled...it started but was shaky (couldn't rev smoothly)...the nozzles were cleaned, plugs changed and ignition coils checked(were fine) still the problem persisted..i scanned my car and it gave me P1349 error..they cam to a conclusion that it was from the valves (that the man did not "ground" them well)...so the system was loosened again and top taken to the man to finish his work......after coupling....now the car could not start but the engine was turning fine...

An electrician checked it out but could find the cause of the problem...he said there was no "current" entering the ignition coil/plug area...scanned the car again..this time it showed no error codes ( which is very odd coz long before now -2yrs ago I had error code for a faulty oxygen sensor which I intend rectifying by getting a new one)..he concluded by saying that the problem is either from my "starter sensor" or my "brain box"....pls how can I suddenly have a damaged brain box from all these...for a car that has never given me any problem since 2011 that I got it..
Meanwhile before he(electrician) came, we got another "starter sensor" from a toyota spider engine(same engine) and tried but the car still didn't start...
please I need help..would be grateful if any1 can offer a lasting solution now coz i'm so confused as to what to do
Thanks
Re: My Toyota Camry 2002 (2.4) Refuses To Start But I Cranking Fine (engine Turns) by mayor2013: 1:08pm On Sep 24, 2017
Akgelo2k:
For the car gurus, while driving my car I heard a chirping sound so I parked the car and checked the bonnet..noticed my timing belt was slipping off, tried fixing it back and continued my journey only for the car to finally stop.called my mech checked it and noticed that one of the pulleys on which the timing belt rolls(the one reponsible for turning the engine) had broken..he replaced it..however 2 days later the exact same thing happened again...so they opened it up to find out what's making it break...turns out a small key which helps keep the pulley in place had worn out..so this was changed along side a new pulley...after coupling everything, they started the car and heard a cracking sound, on 2nd attempt, the engine could no longer turn...so they loosened everything again..noticed that one of the teeth of the sproket(thats what they called it) upon which the timing chain turns, had cut...4 valves had broken and another 4 were bent...so my engine top was brought down and sent to someone else to replace the valves and "ground" them(dunno what that means)....this was done and the engine coupled...it started but was shaky (couldn't rev smoothly)...the nozzles were cleaned, plugs changed and ignition coils checked(were fine) still the problem persisted..i scanned my car and it gave me P1349 error..they cam to a conclusion that it was from the valves (that the man did not "ground" them well)...so the system was loosened again and top taken to the man to finish his work......after coupling....now the car could not start but the engine was turning fine...

An electrician checked it out but could find the cause of the problem...he said there was no "current" entering the ignition coil/plug area...scanned the car again..this time it showed no error codes ( which is very odd coz long before now -2yrs ago I had error code for a faulty oxygen sensor which I intend rectifying by getting a new one)..he concluded by saying that the problem is either from my "starter sensor" or my "brain box"....pls how can I suddenly have a damaged brain box from all these...for a car that has never given me any problem since 2011 that I got it..
Meanwhile before he(electrician) came, we got another "starter sensor" from a toyota spider engine(same engine) and tried but the car still didn't start...
please I need help..would be grateful if any1 can offer a lasting solution now coz i'm so confused as to what to do
Thanks

My first advice at this junction is to have your mechanic changed first. For him to have open timing chain area and reset timing chain and started the ride and the piston and valves clashed that means a pointer to say the timing was totally set wrongly. Second advice is to have that engine changed cos that engine can never be the same. Sorry about your loss

3 Likes

Re: My Toyota Camry 2002 (2.4) Refuses To Start But I Cranking Fine (engine Turns) by honmusa(m): 3:17pm On Sep 24, 2017
Akgelo2k:

Thanks
This is a long one ,I can't even take everything inside !!!,this is a peak of kazeemisation !!!
as mayor have said ,sack all kazeems,get another engine and do a fresh start !!
Word of advice :Don't ever let any kazeems touch your car again ,their fee might be peanut but their handworks can cost you the whole car!!!

1 Like

Re: My Toyota Camry 2002 (2.4) Refuses To Start But I Cranking Fine (engine Turns) by timifakay(m): 9:32pm On Sep 24, 2017
Oga, you go buy engine oh.
On a more serious note.
First it was the Serpentine belt that was slipping off due to an imbalance which was due to the Crankshaft pulley key wear. The sprocket was broken by damaged Crankshaft.
This caused a timing reset which destroyed 8 out of 16 valves.
New valves were installed, old valves were ground (resurfaced to remove every carbon build up on them)
P1349 indicates Variable valve timing system malfunction: the oil control valve might have been damaged when the sprocket broke or while top cylinder was being worked on....
Now that the car doesn't start means atleast one of compression, Spark and right timing is absent.

Check the following:
OCV condition
Valves condition
Top cylinder and engine block for proper surface
Engine block if threads are still in good condition
Gasket
Timing chain
Timing chain adjuster
Crankshaft
Crankshaft pulley
Engine sump for metal particles...

On a more serious note, it will be better to have the engine replaced by a more reliable mechanic.

3 Likes

Re: My Toyota Camry 2002 (2.4) Refuses To Start But I Cranking Fine (engine Turns) by 9icetoo(m): 12:59pm On Sep 25, 2017
I guess this is what happened.
The serpentine belt is very close to the crankshaft sensor and must have eaten through the wire. This would have caused intermittent stops.
While fitting the pulley, your mechanic turned the crankshaft backwards. This messed up the timing and caused the chain to jump a teeth or two on the cams. When you turned over your engine, the chains seized up and damaged your cams and possibly the vvti solenoid.
After changing the top, timing wasn't set right. There is a precise way of setting timing on the 2AZFE engine.
It must be set right or the engine will run poorly.
I suspect the crankshaft timing sensor wire is frayed and has short somewhere during all this works.
The spider crankshaft sensor may not be compatible with your ecu even if it fits in your engine. You have to get a crankshaft sensor with the same part number as yours.
Or like the people above me have suggested and which I will advise, get a tokunbo engine and save yourself money and stress.
Are you in port Harcourt?

1 Like

Re: My Toyota Camry 2002 (2.4) Refuses To Start But I Cranking Fine (engine Turns) by Akgelo2k: 2:34pm On Oct 01, 2017
Thanks everyone fo your contributions
I think i'll go with the advice on changing engine because till now they still haven't been able to get the car started and running

@9icetoo i'm in Enugu...please would appreciate if I can get any contact for a good/grade A engine pls

Don't wanna change one and start having problems again

Thanks
Re: My Toyota Camry 2002 (2.4) Refuses To Start But I Cranking Fine (engine Turns) by OPUSDEI1(m): 5:39pm On Oct 01, 2017
Rescan the car once again but this time let them check the live data for the crankshaft sensor (starting sensor) signal. If absent, check the wiring and or replace the sensor exactly as it is.
If present, most likely the timing was not set properly.

But if you have finally decided to change your engine because of this, then change your mechanic first.

1 Like

Re: My Toyota Camry 2002 (2.4) Refuses To Start But I Cranking Fine (engine Turns) by obekediamondfuto(m): 3:58pm On Oct 02, 2017
OPUSDEI1:
Rescan the car once again but this time let them check the live data for the crankshaft sensor (starting sensor) signal. If absent, check the wiring and or replace the sensor exactly as it is.
If present, most likely the timing was not set properly.

But if you have finally decided to change your engine because of this, then change your mechanic first.

Bros how much is that engine@ mgbuka now... i. mean the 2àzfe
Re: My Toyota Camry 2002 (2.4) Refuses To Start But I Cranking Fine (engine Turns) by OPUSDEI1(m): 8:57pm On Oct 02, 2017
@ obekediamondfuto, baba I no dey sell engine, but budget about 300k for a complete 2AZ-FE engine.
Re: My Toyota Camry 2002 (2.4) Refuses To Start But I Cranking Fine (engine Turns) by obekediamondfuto(m): 5:07am On Oct 04, 2017
OPUSDEI1:
@ obekediamondfuto, baba I no dey sell engine, but budget about 300k for a complete 2AZ-FE engine.

I know... but since u r in nnewi - osha na ur axis, I say make I ask.. it's cheaper in lag tho, abt 250- 270 can get u a sharp one in ladipo ( bench tested as well)
Re: My Toyota Camry 2002 (2.4) Refuses To Start But I Cranking Fine (engine Turns) by gly2ken: 12:34pm On Oct 04, 2017
you brain box is fAULTY, try NOTHER BRAIN BOX And see if it will work
Re: My Toyota Camry 2002 (2.4) Refuses To Start But I Cranking Fine (engine Turns) by gly2ken: 12:38pm On Oct 04, 2017
check my page and contact me, i had similar experience with my rav 4 2004. it either brain box or faulty immobilizer

(1) (Reply)

How Gud Is Toyota Sequoia / Honda Pilot Radio Code / Is This Car Ideal For Transport Businesa?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.