Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,941 members, 7,817,758 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:43 PM

Restructuring Don’t Worth It By Abdulrazaq O Hamzat - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Restructuring Don’t Worth It By Abdulrazaq O Hamzat (581 Views)

Saraki's 317 Votes, Quran 31:7 And Bible 31:7 By Abdulrazaq O Hamzat / How To Fix Nigeria In 72 Hours By Abdulrazaq O Hamzat / In Defense Of Abba Kyari By Abdulrazaq O Hamzat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Restructuring Don’t Worth It By Abdulrazaq O Hamzat by bilms(m): 1:35pm On Sep 27, 2017
Restructuring don’t worth it
By Abdulrazaq O Hamzat

In 1965, Nigeria was operating regionalism, in which every region was controlling its own resources when the first set of violent agitators picked up arms to express their grievances and confront the state violently. This was before the first military coup that eventually pushed the country into civil war.

While the military boys were scheming to topple the democratically elected government, it turned out that they were not alone. Some young people in Niger Delta were already warming up to confront the state due to what they perceived as marginalization within their own region.

The lost of hope, in the prospect of a better living, especially in the Niger Delta region ravaged by extreme poverty in midst of wealth propelled a young Ijaw activist named Isaac Boro into forming the first militant group to confront what he described as ‘’poor governance and economic deprivation of his people’’.

Niger Delta region at the time agitated for their own separate state without success, yet continued to feel suppressed by the leadership of the region. There was true federalism, without true governance.

In the declaration of what is today known as 7 days war, Boro stated that “Economic development of the area is certainly the most appalling aspect. There is not even a single industry. The only fishery industry which ought to be situated in a properly riverine area is sited about 80 miles inland at Aba. The boatyard at Opobo had its headquarters at Enugu … Personnel in these industries and also in the oil stations are predominantly non-Ijaw,”

He went further to state that, “most of the youths were so frustrated with the general neglect that they were ready for any action led by an outstanding leader to gain liberty…. we were clenched in tyrannical chains and led through a dark alley of perpetual political and social deprivation. Strangers in our own country! Inevitably, therefore, the day would have to come for us to fight for our long-denied right to self-determination”.

Boro and others recruited young men to their cause under the umbrella of an organisation known as Niger Delta Volunteer Force (NDVF). They eventually set up a military camp at Taylor Creek and on February 23rd 1966, the militants moved out from their Touton Ban camp with Boro, Onwonaru and Dick as their divisional commanders to confront the state.

The above history tells us that going back to the same regional structure or what some people described as true federalism that produced the first set of militant group will not bring forth anything different, if true governance that was missing in the first republic is not incorporated as well. The aspiration of the Nigerian people across all ethnic and religious background is not tied to the kind of structure we operate; but the kind of governance we deliver.

Whether restructuring or not, regionalism or true federalism, resource control or anything else, what is important is putting food on the peoples table and giving them reason to hope in a better tomorrow.

In recent time, we have seen highly placed individuals backing the call for restructuring.
Just few days ago, some colleagues requested to know my reaction to the call for restructuring by former Lagos Governor and APC national leader, Bola Tinubu.

They had also requested for my views on the same subject when former Vice President Atiku Abubakar declared his support for restructuring and they want to know whether or not, I find Atiku and Tinubu’s argument convincing enough to throw my full weight behind the call.

However, my position remains the same. Restructuring will not put food on the table. It will not stop the corruption; neither will it stop the impunity.

To the best of my understanding, structure is not our major challenge at this time, people’s orientation and attitude to leadership is. Restructuring will not change anything in Nigeria. What will change the situation is being discipline and responsible. Take out discipline and responsibility, restructuring becomes useless.

Restructuring will not prevent Goodluck Jonathan, Rotimi Amaechi, Allisson Madueke and others like them to lead South South cluelessly. The greed in the heart of Kalu, Ngige, Ohakim and their likes would not change in their leadership of South East. Atiku, Alimodu Sheriff, Goje etc would still be selfish leaders in North East. Elrufai, Yerima, Lamido etc would still be the same highhanded leaders of the North West. David Mark, Bukola Saraki, George Akume, Dino and others would still offer their slave and master kind of leadership in North Central, while Tinubu, Aragbesola, Fashola and Fayose would still be the less compassionate leaders in South West. What would change? Nothing.

Restructuring will not stop the monitization of election. They will still be buying and selling elections. It will not stop rigging. It would not stop the corruption, mismanagement of public funds and abuse of offices. Restructuring will not stop tribalism; neither will it stop religious sentiments and nepotism. Additionally, restructuring will not stop agitation; neither will it bring good governance.

Meanwhile, if for any reason, there becomes need to restructure Nigeria. The kind of restructure that may be impactful is a restructuring that will change our bicameral legislature to unicameral, thereby scraping the wasteful senate. This will help reduce cost of governance.

Another impactful restructuring, will be to replace state of origin with state of residence. That will enhance unity and allow people to freely make every part of the country home without any form of hindrances. Then again, we can restructure to give more power to the local government than the state. This will allow rapid development at the local level, thereby reducing over population in the city, since most of the advantages derived in the cities would be available at the local level, with more opportunities.

Provided these are not what advocates of restructuring mean, restructuring don’t worth it

Abdulrazaq O Hamzat is the Executive Director of Foundation for Peace Professionals
Re: Restructuring Don’t Worth It By Abdulrazaq O Hamzat by Financialfree: 1:36pm On Sep 27, 2017
ftc
Re: Restructuring Don’t Worth It By Abdulrazaq O Hamzat by Flets: 1:40pm On Sep 27, 2017
The north have been very vocal against restructuring and they have not hidden their sentiments on this subject even when its obvious to even an infant that Nigeria has no option than restructure.

What i don't understand is why any southerner would justify the status quo and continue to stay averse to restructuring even when its obvious that it is their only hope to prosperity.

4 Likes

Re: Restructuring Don’t Worth It By Abdulrazaq O Hamzat by Bayajidda1: 1:46pm On Sep 27, 2017
grin
Re: Restructuring Don’t Worth It By Abdulrazaq O Hamzat by ITbomb(m): 2:13pm On Sep 27, 2017
Restructuring will stop all these or at least make leaders responsible

When a leader knows that he can do anything in Abuja and get away with it without the citizen from Ijebu holding him responsible, he will be corrupt
But if the leader is near, people will find it more easy to hold him accountable and he will be forced to sit up

Restructuring will not stop the monitization of election. They will still be buying and selling elections. It will not stop rigging. It would not stop the corruption, mismanagement of public funds and abuse of offices. Restructuring will not stop tribalism; neither will it stop religious sentiments and nepotism. Additionally, restructuring will not stop agitation; neither will it bring good governance.

All I want is a system where leaders can be held accountable, legislatures can be recall, source of every penny can be publicized and equitable share of resources

1 Like

Re: Restructuring Don’t Worth It By Abdulrazaq O Hamzat by bilms(m): 2:18pm On Sep 27, 2017
hum
Re: Restructuring Don’t Worth It By Abdulrazaq O Hamzat by bilms(m): 2:19pm On Sep 27, 2017
Flets:
The north have been very vocal against restructuring and they have not hidden their sentiments on this subject even when its obvious to even an infant that Nigeria has no option than restructure.

What i don't understand is why any southerner would justify the status quo and continue to stay averse to restructuring even when its obvious that it is their only hope to prosperity.

If i may ask, what will restructuring do for us, that we can't get with the current structure?
Re: Restructuring Don’t Worth It By Abdulrazaq O Hamzat by bilms(m): 2:20pm On Sep 27, 2017
ITbomb:
Restructuring will stop all these or at least make leaders responsible

When a leader knows that he can do anything in Abuja and get away with it without the citizen from Ijebu holding him responsible, he will be corrupt
But if the leader is near, people will find it more easy to hold him accountable and he will be forced to sit up

All I want is a system where leaders can be held accountable, legislatures can be recall, source of every penny can be publicized and equitable share of resources

How will restructure do these for us?

I wish to learn from you sir.

Thanks
Re: Restructuring Don’t Worth It By Abdulrazaq O Hamzat by atiku2019manager: 2:29pm On Sep 27, 2017
this man is a topical aboki northerner. with fulani cow sense. every other region have nothing to lose from restructuring why is it only the north that have so much to lose. it means the scale is not balance.

any region that want to be corrupt and don't want to move ahead. is not any way other region business. state that will not be corrupt are still very plenty.

2 Likes

Re: Restructuring Don’t Worth It By Abdulrazaq O Hamzat by ITbomb(m): 2:42pm On Sep 27, 2017
bilms:

How will restructure do these for us?

I wish to learn from you sir.

Thanks
States will no longer hide under the guise of low allocation from Abuja
States will need to improve their IGR and this will force them to engage technocrats to produce and implement sound policies
States would want to tax people more, and this will force citizens to ask questions about how their tax is managed, holding govt to account.
The people that tax you are in your state, not in faraway Abuja, no more passing the buck to some inaccessible officer hundreds of miles away

For your info, state officials and legislatures now gets arrogant because they know their power is from Abuja, no matter how much they want to please their citizen, if the Abuja powers says no to them, they are gone, so if it were you, who would you be loyal to; your people or your kingmaker? Disrupt that Abuja connection and the leaders would know that the people holds the key to their power and would listen to htme more

Restructuring will also cut down bureaucracy, for instance,

I spend 3 hours on a trip that would have taken 30 minutes between 2 states, my state governor says it is fed road.
I have to travel to Abuja to see who is in charge, the Director says the minister will handle it and the minister is out of the country
By the time the minister is back, it takes 5 days to get an appointment only to be told, the President will discuss at next FED meeting. In the fed exco meeting, hundreds of competing projects from over 900k km2 is on the queue, the it is now who is closer to the president that gets his project across.

Restructuring will break that down into manageable area of concentration for rapid development, it will no longer be who is closer to Abuja but which project is more economically viable.

3 Likes

Re: Restructuring Don’t Worth It By Abdulrazaq O Hamzat by Desyner: 3:11pm On Sep 27, 2017
bilms:

If i may ask, what will restructuring do for us, that we can't get with the current structure?
You must be kidding.
How do you think we can ever put an end to the situation of unending cycle of ghost workforce if not restructuring? In Niger state a LGA was discovered to have less than 10 vehicle but over 40 drivers on payroll. That's one.
What about the situation of governors having over a thousand aides? Will that be the case if there was no free oil money?

Ok, check this out. When the North and south Nigeria where merged the main excuse was that of a backward north - educationally, economically etc - today what we have is same northerner prefering use of 'scarce' fund to build mosques, rejecting education and promoting Islam at expense of education.
There are a thousand other reasons to restructure.

2 Likes

Re: Restructuring Don’t Worth It By Abdulrazaq O Hamzat by Bari22: 3:34pm On Sep 27, 2017
Booked
Re: Restructuring Don’t Worth It By Abdulrazaq O Hamzat by Flets: 3:40pm On Sep 27, 2017
ITbomb:

States will no longer hide under the guise of low allocation from Abuja
States will need to improve their IGR and this will force them to engage technocrats to produce and implement sound policies
States would want to tax people more, and this will force citizens to ask questions about how their tax is managed, holding govt to account.
The people that tax you are in your state, not in faraway Abuja, no more passing the buck to some inaccessible officer hundreds of miles away

For your info, state officials and legislatures now gets arrogant because they know their power is from Abuja, no matter how much they want to please their citizen, if the Abuja powers says no to them, they are gone, so if it were you, who would you be loyal to; your people or your kingmaker? Disrupt that Abuja connection and the leaders would know that the people holds the key to their power and would listen to htme more

Restructuring will also cut down bureaucracy, for instance,

I spend 3 hours on a trip that would have taken 30 minutes between 2 states, my state governor says it is fed road.
I have to travel to Abuja to see who is in charge, the Director says the minister will handle it and the minister is out of the country
By the time the minister is back, it takes 5 days to get an appointment only to be told, the President will discuss at next FED meeting. In the fed exco meeting, hundreds of competing projects from over 900k km2 is on the queue, the it is now who is closer to the president that gets his project across.

Restructuring will break that down into manageable area of concentration for rapid development, it will no longer be who is closer to Abuja but which project is more economically viable.

Aptly put

Under the current unitary system, there is no incentive to do the right thing. Even the best of ideas is sacrificed on the alter of tribalism and lootocracy.

Infact, my simple definition of restructuring is to stop governors from going to Abuja for free/ lazy allocation and let the regions sponsor whoever they want to the National assembly and senate.

1 Like

Re: Restructuring Don’t Worth It By Abdulrazaq O Hamzat by bilms(m): 4:39pm On Sep 27, 2017
Hum

(1) (Reply)

Consumers To Pay N450,000 Fine For Meter Bypass – NERC / Ekiti 2018: Meet The Next Governor Of Ekiti State. / [VIDEO] Zuma Statue: Rochas Okorcha’s Convoy Stoned By Angry Youths In Imo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.