Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,839 members, 7,828,060 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 11:09 PM

8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear (62966 Views)

10 Strange Professions That No Longer Exist / I Have Great Respect For People With These Professions. / Why Are People In These Professions Very Rude? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by Nobody: 10:10pm On Sep 30, 2017
You must be high on whiskey! By the way, how did you arrive at this conclusion?
nairametrics:

Source https://nairametrics.com/if-you-work-in-any-of-these-8-professions-you-may-be-about-to-disappear/

Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by TheMainMan: 10:11pm On Sep 30, 2017
Enryking:

I want to believe you didn't do your research very well before putting up this stuff about journalism. I was going to quickly take you through McLuhan's assertions but it will only compound your confusion and your shallow knowledge on the subject matter. Now, here are some few reasons I have for you.
1. Before the advent of newspaper, information were written and posted for public consumption and when newspaper came, it has remained unsuppressible. Radio came, and people fell in love with the new technology postulating that the invention would announce the end of newspaper , instead, it only emboldened it. Newspaper didn't die. Television came, and what was said of newspaper was said of radio, but radio and newspaper still remain very relevant. Now, the advent of the internet, television has refused to phase out likewise radio and newspaper. Truth is, the advent of internet has increased unprofessionalism and have lowered the ethics of the profession. Today, almost everybody is a publisher online(citizen journalism) which has given rise to plethora of litigations in the law courts owing to publication of falsehood. In the US, Trump is still having his election probed after an allegation of Russia interference. So, you are very wrong. Be informed that in the US, and UK, newspaper business have continued to thrive enormously, they subscribe and almost all communities have their local newspaper. know this that in Nigeria, it's compulsory for government organizations to publish their adverts on newspaper. The paper-surface lovers will never trade their eyes for the eye-disturbing graphics of the phones or computers. They simply subscribe. Therefore it can't phase out, instead, the arrival of a new technology will only enhance the work of these organizations. Virtually all newspapers have an online platforms these days where they dole out information to online subscribers and it's the reporters doing the job. What you can say is, journalists must be digital, too. Paper and pen is very relevant .

2. The press is the fourth estate of the realm, watching the other three Estates and retaining the confidence of the electorate. Government is not trusted but the press is trusted. Therefore, journalism will continue to be pivotal towards the stability of the society. Donald Trump has continued to rely on his Twitter account and hasn't had a day off of trouble. His greatest undoing will be his social media account. He has been calling the media 'fake' and he has been finding things difficult. He doesn't want to accept the fact that he needs the media so he will fail as the media will not stop reporting him bizarrely. Journalists and their media houses endorse any presidential candidate of the US, a tradition which has overrided time. If journalism must phase out, then it will come from the west. Recently, when hurricane Maria devastated Puerto Rico and The Dominican, there wasn't internet service but it was reported. Who reported it? It was flesh and blood!
im not arguing against u that journalism will b not exist.... im with you that journalism is here to stay.... this doesn't need a long article... its a simple thing... print journalism is dwindling very fast... even ma dad who can't do without buying newspapers hasn't bought in years... simply because he has a phone through which he check anything he wants

no one reads newspapers again... if you are not watching news on tv... u check for it with your phone....it needs no argument
Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by Nobody: 10:12pm On Sep 30, 2017
OP: may be you forgot that there is something we called "Peopleware". However the intense automation of all the tasks you mentioned, they still depend on input of man
Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by H2Ossss(m): 10:14pm On Sep 30, 2017
logica:
...how does a human verify the accuracy of figures when software can perform same task?

If you were an accountant , You would understand... Besides its clear the op does not know who an accountant is, comparing accountants to cashiers.. Accountants are needed to keep your books in Line with IFRS , ISA e.t.c standards... That , a software can't do for you.
Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by Ibime(m): 10:21pm On Sep 30, 2017
jomoh:

Accountants disappearing? I laugh in Chinese.

Accountants can never go out of vogue. There's no software no matter ho complex it is that can replace what accountants do.

The roles will definitely evolve to accommodate technology but will never go out of vogue cos not every company will be able to use technology and the ones that can will never trust their finances to technologies.

The article is even mixing accountants and financial planners with banking processes. No matter how sophisticated a banks technologies are, they will always need an accountant to interpreter those figures.

People mistake accountants for bankers. That was how a man walked into an audit firm I once worked with to inquire about how to set up an audit firm because he worked and retired as an auditor in a bank. I nearly burst into laughter that day.

Its like saying economics as a profession will disappear.

There are many aspects of accounting that cannot be replaced like audit, tax etc but numbers can be reduced in management accounting, financial reporting and budgeting (Cognos is doing that already), transaction recording (blockchain technologies are doing that already and will do so more in the future).

1 Like

Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by MztrChukwu(m): 10:22pm On Sep 30, 2017
So your accounting apps will generate audited financial statements, compute tax, compile records, and other financial services for you ba? Lmaoooooo

Dont be stupid, OP
Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by H2Ossss(m): 10:23pm On Sep 30, 2017
jomoh:

Accountants disappearing? I laugh in Chinese.

Accountants can never go out of vogue. There's no software no matter ho complex it is that can replace what accountants do.

The roles will definitely evolve to accommodate technology but will never go out of vogue cos not every company will be able to use technology and the ones that can will never trust their finances to technologies.

The article is even mixing accountants and financial planners with banking processes. No matter how sophisticated a banks technologies are, they will always need an accountant to interpreter those figures.

People mistake accountants for bankers. That was how a man walked into an audit firm I once worked with to inquire about how to set up an audit firm because he worked and retired as an auditor in a bank. I nearly burst into laughter that day.

Its like saying economics as a profession will disappear.

grin grin grin.... Bank auditor ke? 1ce worked in a bank before moving to an audit firm... And most of those bank auditors know Nada.. That's y the banks still employ audit firms as internal auditors..
Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by Ibime(m): 10:23pm On Sep 30, 2017
logica:
...how does a human verify the accuracy of figures when software can perform same task?

Most of.accounting is the interpretation of IFRS reporting standards that require human intuition. Computers cannot readily interpret how to recognise some costs eg is it a finance lease to be capitalised or an operational lease to be expensed etc.
Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by MztrChukwu(m): 10:24pm On Sep 30, 2017
H2Ossss:

If you were an accountant , You would understand... Besides its clear the op does not know who an accountant is, comparing accountants to cashiers.. Accountants are needed to keep your books in Line with IFRS , ISA e.t.c standards... That , a software can't do for you.

Tell them fellow colleague!!!!!
Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by Dee60: 10:25pm On Sep 30, 2017
SENATORS - About time the Senate is scrapped. We dont need dancing senators again.
Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by MztrChukwu(m): 10:29pm On Sep 30, 2017
logica:

Will a software vouch transactions or will a software input transactions jnyo the system by itself?
Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by meforyou1(m): 10:34pm On Sep 30, 2017
H2Ossss:

grin grin grin.... Bank auditor ke? 1ce worked in a bank before moving to an audit firm... And most of those bank auditors know Nada.. That's y the banks still employ audit firms as internal auditors..
as external auditors, not internal
Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by jomoh: 10:35pm On Sep 30, 2017
Ibime:

There are many aspects of accounting that cannot be replaced like audit, tax etc but numbers can be reduced in management accounting, financial reporting and budgeting (Cognos is doing that already), transaction recording (blockchain technologies are doing that already and will do so more in the future).

Its can be reduced temporarily but it will ultimately be handled by someone who understands the basic principles and concepts of accounting. Some of those things requires discretion to be executed whereas softwares are rigid and not flexible.

Accounting softwares are not designed to replace accountants. They are designed to assist accountants because the work of accountants are very tedious and complex. That is why you have multinational companies and other big companies having payroll accountants but then the payroll accountant are to use softwares rather than calculators.

1 Like

Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by jomoh: 10:39pm On Sep 30, 2017
H2Ossss:

I swear down. When my boss spelt out all the requirements for him the man quietly thanked my boss and left.

Bank auditors are not supposed to be referred to as auditors. To me they are more like chief whip in a house of assembly or a protocol officer cos what they do is just to inspect compliance with checks and balances put in place by real auditors.
Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by H2Ossss(m): 10:42pm On Sep 30, 2017
meforyou1:
as external auditors, not internal

Its a statutory requirement for a bank to have an external auditor.... Most banks and other big companies still engage audit firms as their internal auditors .... But it must be a diff firm from the external auditors.... get it?
Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by FODA(m): 10:42pm On Sep 30, 2017
Misslynx:
You forgot to mention, the post office workers, mails nd all dat.
mummy lynda,you are right ma.your son sola.

1 Like

Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by shogz89: 10:43pm On Sep 30, 2017
logica:
who feeds the software,? Accounting is a professional course and it's not just about banking industry,, it's a practical course that requires human judgement,, software can't audit accounts even in the US,, software can't render advisory services,... Software in accounting is to ease the work load it can never replace humans cos software in accounting is garbage in garbage out.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by H2Ossss(m): 10:47pm On Sep 30, 2017
jomoh:

I swear down. When my boss spelt out all the requirements for him the man quietly thanked my boss and left.

Bank auditors are not supposed to be referred to as auditors. To me they are more like [b][/b]C[b][/b]heif whip of the house of assembly or a protocol officer cos what they do is just to inspect compliance with checks and balances put in place by real auditors.

Hahahaha... @ chief whip ..... Them sabi debit and credit?
Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by jomoh: 10:53pm On Sep 30, 2017
Ibime:

Most of.accounting is the interpretation of IFRS reporting standards that require human intuition. Computers cannot readily interpret how to recognise some costs eg is it a finance lease to be capitalised or an operational lease to be expensed etc.

Each country has different legislations governing their accounting standards, tax administration and various other legislations that affect financial reporting.

Software engineers are will have to come up with different softwares for each country and the more the rules changes the more they have to upgrade their software and the more each organization will have to change its software and train its personnel accordingly.

The Financial investment will be too much of a burden for the company than to have human accountants. Not to talk of frequent data loss due to constant changes in software.

The economic and financial implication of accounting software going wrong could put any company out of business for good.
Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by madjune(m): 10:54pm On Sep 30, 2017
Simispecial:
Hi everyone, does anyone knows any office space in Lagos that is always opened on public holidays and weekends?

Na ashawo work you dey find?
Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by Ibime(m): 11:06pm On Sep 30, 2017
jomoh:

Each country has different legislations governing their accounting standards, tax administration and various other legislations that affect financial reporting.

Software engineers are will have to come up with different softwares for each country and the more the rules changes the more they have to upgrade their software and the more each organization will have to change its software and train its personnel accordingly.

The Financial investment will be too much of a burden for the company than to have human accountants. Not to talk of frequent data loss due to constant changes in software.

The economic and financial implication of accounting software going wrong could put any company out of business for good.

I would only tell you not to get too complacent though. I was of the same mindframe until the last two years when we had so many technological changes in our company. Some financial analysis and reporting that used to take me almost a week is now done in a couple of hours. It's only a matter of time before numbers are reduced in the industry. The new breed of tech companies are not accountant heavy (Amazon, Google, Facebook etc) because there are no paper trails, all data is captured digitally and categorised at source. In the past where you needed one accountant for every say $10m of revenue generated in the economy, these companies can have one accountant for $100m. As the economy consolidates from loads of small companies who all need accountants into behemoths like Amazon, accounting numbers will reduce.
Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by Nobody: 11:08pm On Sep 30, 2017
nairametrics:

Source https://nairametrics.com/if-you-work-in-any-of-these-8-professions-you-may-be-about-to-disappear/

mumu post

tell me if the software will manage the risk of a business

tell me if it will reveal cost control

tell me u won't need an audited financial statement

need to know if companies won't be taxed

machine will work in the public sector

machine will make decisions either at the strategic, business and operation level

guy go and sleep Accountants are here to stay. we are not all about debit and credit
Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by Financialshub(m): 11:08pm On Sep 30, 2017
Your point is not concrete the work of an accountant goes beyond recording and software usage.
Even for the software it will take the knowledge of a good accountant to relate with the terms and use of the software, so I dont see the Job of accountant going to anywhere it will only ease the task
Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by shogz89: 11:15pm On Sep 30, 2017
jomoh:

they just feel software can do everything.... Maybe until they get artificial intelligence 100% right then can accountants be replaced.. Until then Account is life, account speaks, accounting is a language only humans can interpret. Proud to be one grin grin

2 Likes

Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by efighter: 11:17pm On Sep 30, 2017
Winners72:
Nawa ooo useless country

Your case is pathetic. The writeup is not about Nigeria but about the global society. We are not the cause of your misfortune, so go and commit suicide.
Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by Enryking(m): 11:25pm On Sep 30, 2017
TheMainMan:
im not arguing against u that journalism will b not exist.... im with you that journalism is here to stay.... this doesn't need a long article... its a simple thing... print journalism is dwindling very fast... even ma dad who can't do without buying newspapers hasn't bought in years... simply because he has a phone through which he check anything he wants

no one reads newspapers again... if you are not watching news on tv... u check for it with your phone....it needs no
argument

[color=#990000][/color] I read the comments trailing this post and I discovered, you are in all places defending your territory. If your building is built on a solid foundation, no need to defend it this fiercely.

I mentioned that in the US and UK , newspapers are very much in vogue. Why not do a little research? Washington post, New York times, the enquirer are newspapers doing fantastically well. Have I mentioned Herald? I studied mass communication to a post graduate level, am offering you an explanation from a well informed angle and you have stuck to your sentimental lens choosing to see things myopically, holding tenaciously to the infantile view of your daddy who now prefers his phone to hard copies. I make bold to say that the economic situation of Nigeria has dwindled the sale of newspapers. People no longer want to buy not because they don't but because their monthly stipend no longer afford them that luxury. The archival advantage of hard copy dwarfs any archival one hold by the internet. The Internet is commonly used by young people who in time memorial never buy newspaper. The advent of the internet only gave this a claim. Interestingly, fewer young people read news/long text on the internet. They do all other things including gaming. That's why news platforms are already planning to include gaming in their contents so as to attract young people followership. These are all based on research. Go online, do fact finding before giving people trash to devour.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by logica(m): 11:37pm On Sep 30, 2017
MztrChukwu:

Will a software vouch transactions or will a software input transactions jnyo the system by itself?

Yes, and yes. These are tasks software can perfectly do. Neither of vouching or input of transactions require humans. Transactions are fed directly from sales and do not need manual entry. Vouching of course requires no explanation.
Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by logica(m): 11:38pm On Sep 30, 2017
shogz89:
who feeds the software,? Accounting is a professional course and it's not just about banking industry,, it's a practical course that requires human judgement,, software can't audit accounts even in the US,, software can't render advisory services,... Software in accounting is to ease the work load it can never replace humans cos software in accounting is garbage in garbage out.
Ever heard of AI? Once again, nothing here that a software cannot do better. Straight to the point - the only need for Accountants at this point is during the development of software to replace them during the domain acquisition process. I know many Accountants will beg to disagree, but the truth as they say, is bitter. cheesy
Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by Augustap(f): 11:41pm On Sep 30, 2017
Why did u even include journalism on that list? Don't you know journalism no longer exists? There's no job in the country, and you're listing journalism grin
Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by Nobody: 11:42pm On Sep 30, 2017
jomoh:

Bros I tire for the illiterate o.

Confusing accountants with bank cashiers.

weak for this guy.

Accountants have evolved from bookkeeping to disclosure and analysis.
Any software that Will supposedly replace accountant will work in one of two ways,
1) Rely on data from accountants.
2) provide information for the accountant.
And all these will be based on past figures, probability estimates, valuation estimates made by an accountant

1 Like

Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by larrypourl(m): 11:45pm On Sep 30, 2017
TheMainMan:
...yea journalism is not going anywhere coz its in diff form

buh when last have u read newspaper?

Ask yourself why hard copy newspapers still exist. They're going nowhere sir because they're conventional. Go to Government offices, private, etc and see how they subscribe for newspapers, magazines, etc. Hope you saw the amount fg budgeted for 2017 Newspapers and Magazines subscriptions alone ?
They're going nowhere because they're mainstream Journalism. How many advertorials, letters to the editor, Columns, etc will you get in the online version?

1 Like

Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by TheMainMan: 11:55pm On Sep 30, 2017
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]
Enryking:

[color=#990000][/color] I read the comments trailing this post and I discovered, you are in all places defending your territory. If your building is built on a solid foundation, no need to defend it this fiercely.

I mentioned that in the US and UK , newspapers are very much in vogue. Why not do a little research? Washington post, New York times, the enquirer are newspapers doing fantastically well. Have I mentioned Herald? I studied mass communication to a post graduate level, am offering you an explanation from a well informed angle and you have stuck to your sentimental lens choosing to see things myopically, holding tenaciously to the infantile view of your daddy who now prefers his phone to hard copies. I make bold to say that the economic situation of Nigeria has dwindled the sale of newspapers. People no longer want to buy not because they don't but because their monthly stipend no longer afford them that luxury. The archival advantage of hard copy dwarfs any archival one hold by the internet. The Internet is commonly used by young people who in time memorial never buy newspaper. The advent of the internet only gave this a claim. Interestingly, fewer young people read news/long text on the internet. They do all other things including gaming. That's why news platforms are already planning to include gaming in their contents so as to attract young people followership. These are all based on research. Go online, do fact finding before giving people trash to devour.
...this is the last time i will be replying ur mention

last time i check.... newspapers is sold for just 200naira.... i could buy hundred at a go and economy isn't that bad that people can't afford 200 to buy newspapers... are people not buying datas?....

i don't care what u study... d era of newspapers are gone...accept it and i can see that's your line of profession... thats y u don't wana see reason... its never too late to broaden ur horizon and look for alternative coz it ain't gon b funny when it hits u hard

if you are too frustrated not to comprehend a simple fact... it ain't ma fault and im not responsible for it...

adios

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

I Received My First Salary Today (PHOTO) / Why Masturbation Can Destroy Your Career / How To Become A Pilot?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.