Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,282 members, 7,836,256 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:50 AM

Ndi Waawa Na Ndu Oka (wawa And Awka People) - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ndi Waawa Na Ndu Oka (wawa And Awka People) (4145 Views)

Obobo Soup, The Special Igbo Soup Awka People Use To Cement Marriages / Body Of Igwe Henry Ekwueme, Eze Ndi Igbo In China, Lands In Lagos Airport / Corpse Of Igwe Henry Ekwueme, Eze Ndi Igbo In China Packaged; To Be Flown To Nig (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ndi Waawa Na Ndu Oka (wawa And Awka People) by Probz(m): 2:37pm On Sep 29, 2017
It goes without saying that Waawa for all its negative connotations is just a clan found mostly in Enugu state that's marked by using wa (wa/awa when said emphatically) for no. Awka (and probably a few other towns by the Enugu border) people also use wa for no but it's obviously got negative connotations in Awka. What do the wider Nigerian/Igbo public consider people from Awka? Wawa or no?
Re: Ndi Waawa Na Ndu Oka (wawa And Awka People) by Probz(m): 8:07pm On Oct 02, 2017
?
Re: Ndi Waawa Na Ndu Oka (wawa And Awka People) by AjaanaOka(m): 8:18pm On Oct 02, 2017
Some people consider Awka as part of Waawa, but we have always rejected that name - vociferously. Historically, we do have strong ties with communities in 'Wawaland', though.

When I lived briefly in Udi (which is in 'Wawaland'), some of the indigenes told me that to them we are 'Ndi Vba Vba'. The 'Vba Vba' comes from the way we say 'kita kita' (now now).

1 Like

Re: Ndi Waawa Na Ndu Oka (wawa And Awka People) by Probz(m): 8:25pm On Oct 02, 2017
There's even a spillover of Waawa food into Awka (fiofio, akidi, okpa, even correct abacha sef).

None of this is even from an outsider's perspective. I'm maternally from the Amikwo-Umuzocha cluster in said city.
Re: Ndi Waawa Na Ndu Oka (wawa And Awka People) by Probz(m): 8:36pm On Oct 02, 2017
AjaanaOka:
Some people consider Awka as part of Waawa, but we have always rejected that name - vociferously. Historically, we do have strong ties with communities in 'Wawaland', though.

When I lived briefly in Udi (which is in 'Wawaland'), some of the indigenes told me that to them we are 'Ndi Vba Vba'. The 'Vba Vba' comes from the way we say 'kita kita' (now now).

I know lay Igbos call anyone from Enugu and even the northern half of Ebonyi State (Abakaliki axis) Waawa but where does Waawa actually start and end in Enugu? The whole of Oji River, Udi, Enugwu township, Nkanu, Uwani and Nsukka all fall under Waawa and that's the bulk of that state. Is there anywhere in Enugu that isn't Waawa?
Re: Ndi Waawa Na Ndu Oka (wawa And Awka People) by AjaanaOka(m): 8:40pm On Oct 02, 2017
Probz:
There's even a spillover of Waawa food into Awka (fiofio, akidi, okpa).

None of this is even from an outsider's perspective. I'm maternally from Umuzocha village.

I honestly didn't know fiofio (vbiovbio) and akidi are of Waawa origin. That's something I'll have to ask my folks.

Okpa I grew up knowing as the stereotypical Enugu snack, so you're probably right about that one.

Interesting trivia: 'Okpa' in Awka dialect refers to groundnuts. If you ask a typical Awka man to give you okpa, you'll end up with groundnuts. grin

That thing Enugu people call okpa, our name for it is igba. cheesy
Re: Ndi Waawa Na Ndu Oka (wawa And Awka People) by AjaanaOka(m): 8:45pm On Oct 02, 2017
Probz:

I know lay Igbos call anyone from Enugu and even the northern half of Ebonyi State (Abakaliki axis) Waawa but where does Waawa actually start and end in Enugu? The whole of Oji River, Udi, Enugwu township, Nkanu, Uwani and Nsukka all fall under Waawa and that's the bulk of that state. Is there anywhere in Enugu that isn't Waawa?

There are two ways that I know the term Waawa is used. The widest meaning of Waawa covers all of the northern part of Old Anambra, i.e., today's Enugu state and Ebonyi state, except for the part that was sliced off from Abia. Going by this meaning, all of Enugu State without exception is Waawa.

A more narrow meaning of Waawa restricts the term only to Agbaja area and (sometimes) Nkanu, too. By this narrow definition, the Nsukka and Awgu areas of Enugu are not truely Waawa.

1 Like

Re: Ndi Waawa Na Ndu Oka (wawa And Awka People) by Probz(m): 8:49pm On Oct 02, 2017
AjaanaOka:

I honestly didn't know fiofio (vbiovbio) and akidi are of Waawa origin. That's something I'll have to ask my folks.

Okpa I grew up knowing as the stereotypical Enugu snack, so you're probably right about that one.

Interesting trivia: 'Okpa' in Awka dialect refers to groundnuts. If you ask a typical Awka man to give you okpa, you'll end up with groundnuts. grin

That thing Enugu people call okpa, our name for it is igba. cheesy

They might be more shared foods than copied from Waawa. I dunno how popular okpa is in the rest of Anambra (as an indigenous staple) but it's always been in Awka even when I stayed there last year. The whole "okpa di oku" thing's a morning alarm for Unizik students sef.

1 Like

Re: Ndi Waawa Na Ndu Oka (wawa And Awka People) by Probz(m): 8:51pm On Oct 02, 2017
AjaanaOka:

There are two ways that I know the term Waawa is used. The widest meaning of Waawa covers all of the northern part of Old Anambra, i.e., today's Enugu state and Ebonyi state, except for the part that was sliced off from Abia. Going by this meaning, all of Enugu State without exception is Waawa.

A more narrow meaning of Waawa restricts the term only to Agbaja area and (sometimes) Nkanu, too. By this narrow definition, the Nsukka and Awgu areas of Enugu are not truely Waawa.

Yh, that's why I said Abakaliki axis. Afikpo/Edda's more akin to the Ohafia/Bende/Abiriba zone, I know.

It sounds like the majority of Enugu State'sWaawa either way.

What part of Awka are you from btw?
Re: Ndi Waawa Na Ndu Oka (wawa And Awka People) by AjaanaOka(m): 8:54pm On Oct 02, 2017
Probz:

Yh, that's why I said Abakaliki axis. Afikpo/Edda's more akin to the Ohafia/Bende/Abiriba zone, I know.

It sounds like the majority of Enugu State'sWaawa either way.

What part of Awka are you from btw?

Lol. I thought you've asked me this before. When I told you I was from your ikwunne, and you are my nwadiana. Remember? cheesy
Re: Ndi Waawa Na Ndu Oka (wawa And Awka People) by Probz(m): 8:55pm On Oct 02, 2017
AjaanaOka:

Lol. I thought you've asked me this before. When I told you I was from your ikwunne, and you are my nwadiana. Remember? cheesy

Short-term memory like a sieve. Ndo.

1 Like

Re: Ndi Waawa Na Ndu Oka (wawa And Awka People) by Probz(m): 8:57pm On Oct 02, 2017
Awka's mixed through and through innit. Even ndu (presumably) comes from Igala.
Re: Ndi Waawa Na Ndu Oka (wawa And Awka People) by AjaanaOka(m): 9:07pm On Oct 02, 2017
Probz:

Nah, 'ndu' is just our own variation of 'ndi' and 'nde' used by other Igbo groups. There's nothing Igala about it.

For a people that had extensive contacts with their non-Igbo neighbours, Awka culture shows very little evidence of borrowing and mixing. For example, Umuzocha, for all its dealings with the Igala in the past, only has one probably Igala name to show for it (Ata), whereas the Nsukka area has scores of Igala-derived names.

We aren't even that mixed, if our traditions are anything to go by. With the exception of two groups that came from Enugu State and Umudioka-Dunukofia, all of Awka insist that they didn't migrate from outside the borders of the town.
Re: Ndi Waawa Na Ndu Oka (wawa And Awka People) by Probz(m): 11:53pm On Oct 02, 2017
Did you know Awka takes influence from Edoid lects (aka vb/fv in place of the standard h/f)?
Re: Ndi Waawa Na Ndu Oka (wawa And Awka People) by bigfrancis21: 2:43am On Oct 03, 2017
Probz:

Ndu is just a dialectical variation of 'ndi'. My mom's place in Enugu say 'ndu' instead of 'ndi'. Owerri/Abia will say 'nde'. 'ndi', the standard form, I would say is Onitsha.

1 Like

Re: Ndi Waawa Na Ndu Oka (wawa And Awka People) by Probz(m): 3:31am On Oct 03, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Ndu is just a dialectical variation of 'ndi'. My mom's place in Enugu say 'ndu' instead of 'ndi'. Owerri/Abia will say 'nde'. 'ndi', the standard form, I would say is Onitsha.

Hmm. I only say so because I know Igala also use ndu. You reckon it’s a possibility they borrowed it from us or is it just a coincidence?
Re: Ndi Waawa Na Ndu Oka (wawa And Awka People) by bigfrancis21: 4:31am On Oct 03, 2017
Probz:

Hmm. I only say so because I know Igala also use ndu. You reckon it’s a possibility they borrowed it from us or is it just a coincidence?
They use 'ndu' to mean 'people' as we do?

Also by Igala, you mean upland or 'core' Igala or ibaji Igalas (with Igboid influence)?
Re: Ndi Waawa Na Ndu Oka (wawa And Awka People) by Probz(m): 6:37am On Oct 03, 2017
bigfrancis21:

They use 'ndu' to mean 'people' as we do?

Also by Igala, you mean upland or 'core' Igala or ibaji Igalas (with Igboid influence)?

Just had a quick re-check. It’s even abo that they use. God knows where I got ndu from.
Re: Ndi Waawa Na Ndu Oka (wawa And Awka People) by AjaanaOka(m): 1:16pm On Oct 03, 2017
Probz:
Did you know Awka takes influence from Edoid lects (aka vb/fv in place of the standard h/f)?

In a thread on Awka that I created with my old moniker I hinted at the possibility that 'vb' in Awka might have been picked up from the Edoid peoples. But it is only a possibility, a hypothesis. I won't say it's anywhere near being a fact.

There's a wide range of sounds that the Igbo peoples use in place of h/f. There's V, W, WH/HW, PH, etc across many dialects. The Awka 'Vb' sounds somewhat between 'V' and 'H'. In an environment of such phonetic diversity and divergence, it wouldn't strike me as odd that 'vb' could be a local innovation rather than an import.

About 'ndu': Are you positive the Igala use that word? I have never heard that before. 'Nd-' is very atypical of Igala words, as far as I know.
Re: Ndi Waawa Na Ndu Oka (wawa And Awka People) by Probz(m): 2:37pm On Oct 03, 2017
AjaanaOka:

In a thread on Awka that I created with my old moniker I hinted at the possibility that 'vb' in Awka might have been picked up from the Edoid peoples. But it is only a possibility, a hypothesis. I won't say it's anywhere near being a fact.

There's a wide range of sounds that the Igbo peoples use in place of h/f. There's V, W, WH/HW, PH, etc across many dialects. The Awka 'Vb' sounds somewhat between 'V' and 'H'. In an environment of such phonetic diversity and divergence, it wouldn't strike me as odd that 'vb' could be a local innovation rather than an import.

About 'ndu': Are you positive the Igala use that word? I have never heard that before. 'Nd-' is very atypical of Igala words, as far as I know.

No I corrected myself about Igala up there. Turns out they use abo. smiley
Re: Ndi Waawa Na Ndu Oka (wawa And Awka People) by room089: 11:02am On Oct 04, 2017
The Awka people were/are never Wawas. Though people carelessly or hastily allude Awka to be part of Wawa because of its usage of 'wa' for 'no'.

One thing that stands Awka out is its dialect: it's very unique. No other community shares that dialect with Awka. Believe it or leave it.

It's evidently clear that Awka has strong ties with some 'wawa' communities. There are some traces of similarities in their customs and traditions. They freely inter-marry.

Owing to the itinerant nature of Awka blacksmiths in the olden days, I would agree that Awka tradition has been influenced by outsides cultures and traditions. Most blacksmiths came back with strange women and idols from those lands. And as we know, the idols must certainly be appeased; and appeasing them is a tradition.

Apart from the name 'Attah' borrowed from Igalla, they have the likes of 'Agbo' etc.

Awka started eating Fiofio before the Wawas. Fiofio thrives on their land; they plant it as a flower to decorate their compound and as feeds to goats.

Amongst the Awkas, groundnut is simply 'Okpa' as AjaanaOka enthused.

What the Wawas call 'Okpa' its full name in Awka is 'Igbagu-Okpa'.

Thank you

1 Like

Re: Ndi Waawa Na Ndu Oka (wawa And Awka People) by Probz(m): 12:41pm On Oct 04, 2017
room089:
The Awka people were/are never Wawas. Though people carelessly or hastily allude Awka to be part of Wawa because of its usage of 'wa' for 'no'.

One thing that stands Awka out is its dialect: it's very unique. No other community shares that dialect with Awka. Believe it or leave it.

It's evidently clear that Awka has strong ties with some 'wawa' communities. There are some traces of similarities in their customs and traditions. They freely inter-marry.

Owing to the itinerant nature of Awka blacksmiths in the olden days, I would agree that Awka tradition has been influenced by outsides cultures and traditions. Most blacksmiths came back with strange women and idols from those lands. And as we know, the idols must certainly be appeased; and appeasing them is a tradition.

Apart from the name 'Attah' borrowed from Igalla, they have the likes of 'Agbo' etc.

Awka started eating Fiofio before the Wawas. Fiofio thrives on their land; they plant it as a flower to decorate their compound and as feeds to goats.

Amongst the Awkas, groundnut is simply 'Okpa' as AjaanaOka enthused.

What the Wawas call 'Okpa' its full name in Awka is 'Igbagu-Okpa'.

Thank you

And is Igbagu-Okpa indigenous to Awka?
Re: Ndi Waawa Na Ndu Oka (wawa And Awka People) by room089: 12:49pm On Oct 04, 2017
Probz:

And is Igbagu-Okpa indigenous to Awka?

I can't really say, that's what it is known as there
Re: Ndi Waawa Na Ndu Oka (wawa And Awka People) by Probz(m): 7:43pm On Oct 04, 2017
Re: Ndi Waawa Na Ndu Oka (wawa And Awka People) by Probz(m): 5:40pm On Jan 14, 2018
AjaanaOka:

Nah, 'ndu' is just our own variation of 'ndi' and 'nde' used by other Igbo groups. There's nothing Igala about it.

For a people that had extensive contacts with their non-Igbo neighbours, Awka culture shows very little evidence of borrowing and mixing. For example, Umuzocha, for all its dealings with the Igala in the past, only has one probably Igala name to show for it (Ata), whereas the Nsukka area has scores of Igala-derived names.

We aren't even that mixed, if our traditions are anything to go by. With the exception of two groups that came from Enugu State and Umudioka-Dunukofia, all of Awka insist that they didn't migrate from outside the borders of the town.

I wouldn’t know about that though. Ogbono soup’s an Umuzocha staple and they say they got it from Igala (and migrated from there). At least at some point. You know how Awka’s got links with other parts of the country through trade. Igala and Umuzocha get strong links.

(1) (Reply)

Who Is The Ogane To The East Of Benin / I Need Someone To Teach Me Yoruba Badly / List Of The Over 80 Ethnic Groups In Ethiopia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.