Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,279 members, 7,815,475 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:55 PM

Are We Truly Free? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are We Truly Free? (413 Views)

Niger Delta, A Business Name We Must Get Rid Of In Order To Be Truly Free / Border Closure: Are We Truly Self Sufficient In Food Production? / Why No African Country Is Truly Free Or Independent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Are We Truly Free? by Integrityfarms(m): 1:24pm On Oct 01, 2017
Today remains historic day in the annals of Nigeria history. Howbeit, there is a begging question pervading my ratiocination in our nation's peregrination to the attainment of nationhood. Are we truly free?

No doubt freedom is the ultimate desire of every mortal, as no one prides in servitude, perpetual incarceration, fetters and shackles in all its shades and facades. However, a cursory look into the days of yore of colonialism seem to be better, though an anomaly.

If after 57 years, we are yet to solve the hydra headed monsters of epileptic power supply, nepotism, ethnocentric chauvinist, phagocytic parochialism, abuse of public offices for personal aggrandizements, interminable ASUU strikes, poor Medicare, embezzlement of public funds without battling an eyelid, non payment of workers salaries and wages, low literacy index, high poverty rate, and other human development indices dovetailing in the negative ; then, it becomes a glaring fact to surmise that we are in a deep quagmire of bondage though walking freely.

The exhibition of marginalization in all its shades and facades and its consequent cries that have tingled the ears of those with a conscience. This is meted against a people seen as conquered territory, one the president sees as second class citizens through his body language, having classified them as the 5%ers, leaves one with no choice than to Google the true meaning of freedom in political parlance.

Am a Nigerian, because the world sees and knows me as such, but have Nigeria treated me so good as to earn my patriotism? John F. Kennedy in his inaugural address in the white house to American citizens gave them a charge 'Do not think of what America can do for you, rather what you can do for America'. Thus, the highest level of patriotism is expected from American citizens to America. Yes, we can infer same in Nigeria, but the question perturbing my conscience is, have Nigeria as a nation treated me well as a citizen, in same way America treats its citizens? Your guess is fairly good as mine as the basics of good governance still remain elusive, a simulacrum in papers and not in deeds, except you belong to the political elites and bourgeoisie.

Sir Isaac Newton in his third law of motion stated that 'to every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction', this is also buttressed by the law of sowing and reaping. No Nation sows the seed of ethnic chivalry, hatred, nepotism, myriads of tribalism above merit, non egalitarianism, religious bigotry on its 'non favored' citizens and expect such seeds to germinate into love, peace, joy, progress, prosperity, mutual coexistence, passion and patriotism among its citizens.

I sincerely and truly love Nigeria but do Nigeria love me?

(1) (Reply)

Those Agitating For Separation From Nigeria Are Noise Makers - Buhari / IPOB Went For A Rally In Canada: And Was Addressed By Govt Official / Senate Instructs Fashola To Remove Road Bumps

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.