Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,255 members, 7,815,391 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:38 AM

Louise Ojukwu And Nnamdi Azikiwe In 1954 (Throwback Photo) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Louise Ojukwu And Nnamdi Azikiwe In 1954 (Throwback Photo) (5205 Views)

22-Year-Old Ojukwu And His Aunty, Winifred, On His Return From Oxford In 1955 / Bianca Ojukwu And Her Children: Then & Now / Odumegwu Ojukwu And Yakubu Gowon Smile Together In 2010 Throwback Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Louise Ojukwu And Nnamdi Azikiwe In 1954 (Throwback Photo) by ruggedized1: 6:47pm On Oct 01, 2017
This is a throwback picture of two greatest Nigerians both of Anambra descent.

Rt. Hon. Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe born 1904, was Nigeria's first president. He was equally the first and last black governor general of Nigeria. He hails from Onitsha.

Sir Louise Odumegwu Ojukwu born 1908, was Africa's first millionaire from Nnewi. He was the father of former warlord and eze Igbo worldwide- Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu

Lalasticlala

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Louise Ojukwu And Nnamdi Azikiwe In 1954 (Throwback Photo) by Nobody: 6:49pm On Oct 01, 2017
Fine men grin

1 Like

Re: Louise Ojukwu And Nnamdi Azikiwe In 1954 (Throwback Photo) by Nobody: 6:54pm On Oct 01, 2017
Isn't this what yorubas wear now as their native attires?

Afonjas are always stealin'...

14 Likes

Re: Louise Ojukwu And Nnamdi Azikiwe In 1954 (Throwback Photo) by thesicilian: 6:57pm On Oct 01, 2017
The cool headed Nnamdi.
Re: Louise Ojukwu And Nnamdi Azikiwe In 1954 (Throwback Photo) by Bari22: 6:57pm On Oct 01, 2017
cowards

2 Likes

Re: Louise Ojukwu And Nnamdi Azikiwe In 1954 (Throwback Photo) by attackgat: 7:05pm On Oct 01, 2017
ruggedized1:
This is a throwback picture of two greatest Nigeria both of Anambra descent.

Rt. Hon. Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe born 1904, was Nigeria's first president. He was equally the first and last black governor general of Nigeria. He hails from Onitsha.

Sir Louise Odumegwu Ojukwu born 1908, was Africa's first millionaire from Nnewi. He was the father of former warlord and eze Igbo worldwide- Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu

Lalasticlala

Well there was nothing like 'Anambra state' when this picture was taken.

Remarkably, both men went to the same secondary in 20's, Hope wadell training institute, the only secondary school in the Eastern region at the time.

Zik went on to further his education and later returned to Nigeria to become a political heavyweight while Sir Louis Ojukwu went into business and became one of the richest men in Africa

3 Likes

Re: Louise Ojukwu And Nnamdi Azikiwe In 1954 (Throwback Photo) by ProWalker: 7:37pm On Oct 01, 2017
Zik, Nigeria greatest traitor and coward..he ran away on extended medical vacation while encouraging his nephew okafor to slaughter other leaders

Louise..gave the world the worst war time coward of a General
Politically, ibos will never amount to anything in Nigeria again
NAIRA

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Louise Ojukwu And Nnamdi Azikiwe In 1954 (Throwback Photo) by BabaRamota1980: 7:54pm On Oct 01, 2017
ruggedized1:

Lalasticlala

Ojukwu was not the first African millionaire. He wasnt even first Nigerian millionaire.

However, notice that even though they both are from Onitsha, their outfit is Yoruba.

5 Likes

Re: Louise Ojukwu And Nnamdi Azikiwe In 1954 (Throwback Photo) by ruggedized1: 8:00pm On Oct 01, 2017
BabaRamota1980:

Ojukwu was not the first African millionaire. He wasnt even first Nigerian millionaire.
However, notice that even though they both are from Onitsha, their outfit is Yoruba.

Louis Odumegwu-Ojukwu, according to anecdotes, was the first billionaire Nigeria ever produced. He was the founding president of the Nigerian Stock Exchange. As an honour for supporting the British military during World War II with his fleet of trucks, he was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II. The queen – on the request of the colonial administration – was said to be driven in a Rolls Royce owned by Ojukwu.

“Few people realise that he still remains the richest African by every standard today, worth in trillions if you consider that he left about £10m in 1966 – at 10 per cent compound interest,” SUNDAY PUNCH was told by a source close to the family.

Ojukwu was said to have made his money by importing dried fish, dealing in textiles, cement and transport.

He was also the president of the African Continental Bank. He was on the board of companies such as Shell Oil Nigeria Limited, Guinness Nig. Ltd, Nigerian National Shipping Lines, Nigerian Cement Factory, Nigerian Coal Corporation, Costain West Africa Ltd, John Holt, and Nigerian Marketing Board, among others.

He co-authored a report on the Economic Mission to Europe and North America, which recommended the investment of extra funds from the produce marketing board in a regional bank and public corporations to stimulate economic development. He was known for his exquisite taste in clothes, shoes and food.

When he died a year later, his wealth was put at an estimated $4bn in today’s economic value.[/quote]

http://punchng.com/old-money-10-super-rich-men-of-independence-era/

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Louise Ojukwu And Nnamdi Azikiwe In 1954 (Throwback Photo) by 9jvirgin(m): 8:08pm On Oct 01, 2017
All these pictures makes me wonder why the British gave us independence.

2 Likes

Re: Louise Ojukwu And Nnamdi Azikiwe In 1954 (Throwback Photo) by DIKEnaWAR: 8:45pm On Oct 01, 2017
Are you sure that's Zik? Looks too cute for Mr Benjamin.
Re: Louise Ojukwu And Nnamdi Azikiwe In 1954 (Throwback Photo) by Ratello: 9:01pm On Oct 01, 2017
Wao you just have to give it to these men.

1 Like

Re: Louise Ojukwu And Nnamdi Azikiwe In 1954 (Throwback Photo) by Cinkq: 9:11pm On Oct 01, 2017
Yoruba culture is very rich.

Luis ojukwu,the father of the greatest igbo man that ever liveth even abandoned igbo red cap for yoruba cap.

What about Nnamdi Azikwe, that one also gave his first son a yoruba name,BAMIDELE.

Azikwe could also speak yoruba language fluently in his days.

13 Likes

Re: Louise Ojukwu And Nnamdi Azikiwe In 1954 (Throwback Photo) by baralatie(m): 9:17pm On Oct 01, 2017
BabaRamota1980:

Re: Louise Ojukwu And Nnamdi Azikiwe In 1954 (Throwback Photo) by Sirjamo: 10:32pm On Oct 01, 2017
ruggedized1:

Lalasticlala
Maybe they were in a Yoruba function, back then, we were not divided as we are now.

2 Likes

Re: Louise Ojukwu And Nnamdi Azikiwe In 1954 (Throwback Photo) by BabaRamota1980: 10:41pm On Oct 01, 2017
ruggedized1:

Louis Odumegwu-Ojukwu, according to anecdotes, was the first billionaire Nigeria ever produced. He was the founding president of the Nigerian Stock Exchange. As an honour for supporting the British military during World War II with his fleet of trucks, he was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II. The queen – on the request of the colonial administration – was said to be driven in a Rolls Royce owned by Ojukwu.

“Few people realise that he still remains the richest African by every standard today, worth in trillions if you consider that he left about £10m in 1966 – at 10 per cent compound interest,” SUNDAY PUNCH was told by a source close to the family.

Ojukwu was said to have made his money by importing dried fish, dealing in textiles, cement and transport.

He was also the president of the African Continental Bank. He was on the board of companies such as Shell Oil Nigeria Limited, Guinness Nig. Ltd, Nigerian National Shipping Lines, Nigerian Cement Factory, Nigerian Coal Corporation, Costain West Africa Ltd, John Holt, and Nigerian Marketing Board, among others.

He co-authored a report on the Economic Mission to Europe and North America, which recommended the investment of extra funds from the produce marketing board in a regional bank and public corporations to stimulate economic development. He was known for his exquisite taste in clothes, shoes and food.

When he died a year later, his wealth was put at an estimated $4bn in today’s economic value.

http://punchng.com/old-money-10-super-rich-men-of-independence-era/

Yinmu!

Keep still biko....

Im sending your picture to Guinness World Records. Ya own lies long pass pinnochio.

6 Likes

Re: Louise Ojukwu And Nnamdi Azikiwe In 1954 (Throwback Photo) by BabaRamota1980: 10:43pm On Oct 01, 2017
Sirjamo:
Maybe they were in a Yoruba function, back then, we were not divided as we are now.

What band played at the function, was it a Yoruba band? grin

2 Likes

Re: Louise Ojukwu And Nnamdi Azikiwe In 1954 (Throwback Photo) by Omoluabi16(m): 10:55pm On Oct 01, 2017
I wish I belonged to that golden generation. 40-50's. Nigeria was so beautiful, so serene.
Re: Louise Ojukwu And Nnamdi Azikiwe In 1954 (Throwback Photo) by Divinerace(m): 10:56pm On Oct 01, 2017
Louise+Ojukwu+looking+at+Azikiwe+and+be+wondering+in+his+mind:What+is+this+saboteur+talking+about?
Re: Louise Ojukwu And Nnamdi Azikiwe In 1954 (Throwback Photo) by Kaetoh: 12:00am On Oct 02, 2017
ShyCypher:

Oboy you want to kill me with laughter this morning. You mean Afonjas are decades backward compared to the Igbos.

1 Like

Re: Louise Ojukwu And Nnamdi Azikiwe In 1954 (Throwback Photo) by Ishilove: 12:25am On Oct 02, 2017
Omoluabi16:
I wish I belonged to that golden generation. 40-50's. Nigeria was so beautiful, so serene.
Me too, not this rotten and hopeless generation I find myself
Re: Louise Ojukwu And Nnamdi Azikiwe In 1954 (Throwback Photo) by adadike281(f): 2:08am On Oct 02, 2017
Two fine men! Igbos are always representing. if u see me, u callu me onye Igbo,maka n'abum onye Igbo... Igbo amaka!

2 Likes

Re: Louise Ojukwu And Nnamdi Azikiwe In 1954 (Throwback Photo) by zombieHUNTER: 5:34am On Oct 02, 2017
ProWalker:
Zik, Nigeria greatest traitor and coward..he ran away on extended medical vacation while encouraging his nephew okafor to slaughter other leaders

Louise..gave the world the worst war time coward of a General
Politically, ibos will never amount to anything in Nigeria again
NAIRA

Do you think anybody gives a damn
Enjoy your Nigeria with your Fulani herdsmen

We are talking biafra.... Fools are talking Nigeria
Nawa oo

1 Like

Re: Louise Ojukwu And Nnamdi Azikiwe In 1954 (Throwback Photo) by zombieHUNTER: 5:39am On Oct 02, 2017
Omoluabi16:
It's people like you that destroyed Nigeria
Your support for a well known tribalist in aso rock wrecked the nation
Re: Louise Ojukwu And Nnamdi Azikiwe In 1954 (Throwback Photo) by jordyspices: 6:46am On Oct 02, 2017
cool naija area was better off way back than now
Re: Louise Ojukwu And Nnamdi Azikiwe In 1954 (Throwback Photo) by kettykin: 6:53am On Oct 02, 2017
Cinkq:
Yoruba culture is very rich.

Luis ojukwu,the father of the greatest igbo man that ever liveth even abandoned igbo red cap for yoruba cap.

What about Nnamdi Azikwe, that one also gave his first son a yoruba name,BAMIDELE.

Azikwe could also speak yoruba language fluently in his days.

I now realise the basic problem of you people, inferiority complex

3 Likes

Re: Louise Ojukwu And Nnamdi Azikiwe In 1954 (Throwback Photo) by RaaGhu: 7:01am On Oct 02, 2017
zombieHUNTER:

It's people like you that destroyed Nigeria
Your support for a well known tribalist in aso rock wrecked the nation

It is either the bolts in your head are too tight or too loose for you to comprehend the schemes in politics.

Which people like who? Did your intelligently stu.pid people come out with any credible candidate?

Ask yourself, who is our brightest candidate for the upcoming presidential election?

You see what I mean?

Hausa/Fulani, as much as I despise them, I cant but acknowledge their broad politicking acumen. They are already dangling candidates for 2019 in the person of Atiku, El-Rufai, Kwankwanso, etc. While you sit at a cornershop hobbled to one side, people are forming alliances like 'no tomorrow' and you will come back to say it is people like you who voted in a tribalist president.

You have forgotten, in life and in politics, who you know doesnt matter, who knows you does. Yoruba will go with any group of people who identify with them!

So stop your hate/blame game, find for yourselves a credible candidate and come and play politics and stop the intimidation, it wont work, it has never worked!!!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Louise Ojukwu And Nnamdi Azikiwe In 1954 (Throwback Photo) by odaniel1(m): 7:18am On Oct 02, 2017
Those were 'golden years'
no discrimination, no tribalism.
In a few hours just look at the number of ppl involved in a tribal squabble already..
Always fighting ourselves, why?!
Re: Louise Ojukwu And Nnamdi Azikiwe In 1954 (Throwback Photo) by AburoBuhari: 7:19am On Oct 02, 2017
both in modern Àfònjá outfit,Sir Louise thanks for giving us the coward that led 2million people to there grave and brother Zik,thanks for betraying your brother's, your actions back then set your people backward and Even the ₦500 in your name has no value again

*AburoBuhari*

1 Like

Re: Louise Ojukwu And Nnamdi Azikiwe In 1954 (Throwback Photo) by Nobody: 7:22am On Oct 02, 2017
ShyCypher:

we know you people don't have cloth before,your women walk with naked boobs.

2 Likes

Re: Louise Ojukwu And Nnamdi Azikiwe In 1954 (Throwback Photo) by Cinkq: 7:24am On Oct 02, 2017
Before my post one of your brother's post says that yorubas stole that cap from igbo and you did not scold him or call him out for making a false claim on a public forum.

But you have problem with my post which indicates the obvious.
Wow i can't believe this.

kettykin:

I now realise the basic problem of you people, inferiority complex

1 Like

Re: Louise Ojukwu And Nnamdi Azikiwe In 1954 (Throwback Photo) by ProWalker: 7:39am On Oct 02, 2017
zombieHUNTER:

[s]Do you think anybody gives a damn
Enjoy your Nigeria with your Fulani herdsmen

We are talking biafra.... Fools are talking Nigeria
Nawa oo[/s]

.....and do you think anyone give a damn about ibos behaving like cry-cry babies since 2015 ?
Fools grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

TVC Special Report On People's Trust Olawepo Hashim Presidential Flag Off / Ekiti Will Return To Top Three In Ease Of Doing Business – Fayemi / Would The West Have Expanded Towards Russia If This Man Was Still Alive?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.