Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,179 members, 7,829,230 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:12 PM

Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC (18091 Views)

NERC: A Landlord's outstanding Electricity Bills Cannot Be Enforced On A Tenant / Do You Know? You Can Earn Extra N450,000 Monthly And Still Keep Your Job / Do You Know? You Can Earn Extra N450,000 Monthly And Still Keep Your Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by Moreoffaith(m): 7:56am On Oct 03, 2017
Share meter first.
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by Nobody: 7:56am On Oct 03, 2017
juman:
Very useless and utterly clueless apc government.

How many centuries can a country go in this apc way of governance before a country become a modern country.

Obviously sensible and competent set of people is needed to lead the country.

APC is a curse.

SO, where do you expect APC to find $300billion to fix power comprehensively?

That is why we have DISCOS.

(And if we try to reverse the whole DISCO thing....this govt might end up paying billions in legal settlements.).

Pay your power bills please.
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by Nobody: 7:57am On Oct 03, 2017
Moreoffaith:
Share meter first.

Even if they share meters....power bills still have to go up because we need the cash to pay for new improvements.
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by WrathOfHadez(m): 8:01am On Oct 03, 2017
[s]
9jakohai:
It is a good idea.....a very good idea.

Thing is, people who bypass meters and refuse to pay their power bills are a big part of the reason why we don't have light 24 hours a day.

Our power sector needs money, and the vast majority of it is going to have to come from our pockets. So, if people keep on bypassing the meter, or stealing power...and then expect light to be on 24/7, they are just deceiving themselves.

AM sure that most of the people who are doing this , if they were running businesses and they allowed customers to take their goods without paying....they would get broke.

Nigerians....we have to pay to get light. Sorry, but that is privatization.
[/s]

When the government is still struggling to generate a laughable 4,000 MW?

Are you aware nearly all Government agencies don't pay their NEPA bills, from police, army, custom , navy , ministries, local government secretariat....these agencies and institutes owe billions in backlogs for decades.

Nigeria is still using archaic hydroelectric power generation producing a laughable 4000mw , when Eskom in South Africa is producing 40,000 and it's government owned.

Don't be a senseless enemy of the common people!

4 Likes

Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by ysquare(m): 8:03am On Oct 03, 2017
The focus should be more on generating more power
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by UCBIGGY: 8:05am On Oct 03, 2017
Which cones first, the meter, bypass, fine or sanction? Fashola or NERC should focus on the provision of PPM and not to teach us how to bypass meter. What do you do to your staff who collect money for PPM? What are you doing to refund those who paid #39,600 to Enugu Disco last two years but never get meter as at date? The last thing we heard from Enugu Disco is fill another form online, scrapping out the former with our money. Pls address this.

1 Like

Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by erico2k2(m): 8:06am On Oct 03, 2017
omenka:
And what would be the penalty for the thieving companies who give their customers arbitrary estimated bills when they are yet to install metres?

Yeye dey ooze.
This is the point at which we blame PMB for not being man Enough to act o n behalf of Nigerians to curb these companies.Why not put a fine on companies who fail to provide prepaid meters for their customers.
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by Sicillian: 8:06am On Oct 03, 2017
WrathOfHadez:
[s][/s]

Are you aware nearly all Government agencies don't pay their NEPA bills, from police, army, custom , navy , ministries, local government secretariat....these agencies and institutes owe billions in backlogs for decades.

Nigeria is still using archaic hydroelectric power generation producing a laughable 4000mw , when Eskom in South Africa is producing 40,000 and it's government owned.

Epic reply

4 Likes

Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by erico2k2(m): 8:08am On Oct 03, 2017
9jakohai:

Even if they share meters....power bills still have to go up because we need the cash to pay for new improvements.
Use your brain small here,if there is electricity people would pay, the will find a way to make sure they pay as evident in teh Telcom environment, if anyone told you i n 1990 that a bread seller can pay for phone bills would you believe?

1 Like

Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by Nobody: 8:09am On Oct 03, 2017
WrathOfHadez:
[s][/s]

1.Power is in the hands of GENCOS.....it is only transmission that is run by govt.

2.ANd yes....I include govt agencies and company as people who are part of the bill skippers.....infact if you do not pay your bills...whether govt or individual....you are sabotaging our effort to get power.

3.We need money to make the improvements needed for power. JUst now...we need (according to one estimate ) $100billion just to improve power generation (HInt...our external reserves are at $32billion).

4.Hydroelectric power isn't archaic...and besides...where do you expect GENCOS to get the money to build new ones or upgrade exisiting ones if you and govt agencies do not pay up your bills.

5.Enemy of the common people? I pay my power bills..it is those who do not pay their bills...whether individuals or entities that are doing us wrong.

The way you are behaving....I hope that when you are running a business you will allow people to come in and take your products for free. Without paying.....then when you want to buy new stock....you will just go to your magic box and remove money where needed....

Or you will do the sensible thing...and sell your products at a profitable price.

Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by erico2k2(m): 8:11am On Oct 03, 2017
9jakohai:

SO, where do you expect APC to find $300billion to fix power comprehensively?

That is why we have DISCOS.

(And if we try to reverse the whole DISCO thing....this govt might end up paying billions in legal settlements.).

Pay your power bills please.
You still do not get it
what has DISCOS got to do with this?
we have just under 4000 and you are talking DISCOS, what about teh GENCOS??
mayB they should allow us sell power to the grid as done in the UK!

1 Like

Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by Nobody: 8:11am On Oct 03, 2017
Sicillian:
Epic reply

You are running a business selling android phones...and your mode of business is to allow people buy them at N1000 per phone....

That is the kind of business practice you are expecting our DISCOS and GENCOS to practice.....no wonder light no dey.
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by buoye1(m): 8:12am On Oct 03, 2017
LOL...there are a lot of them doing it... little wonder distribution companies don't wanna supply every customers with prepaid meter
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by Sunmolar(m): 8:12am On Oct 03, 2017
RealNewsNigeria:
Electricity consumers who bypass their meters will be forced to pay up to N450,000 as fine, the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission has declared.

According to NERC, financial sanctions ranging from N50,000 to N450,000 for meter bypass by power consumers have been drafted by it and have been endorsed by the 11 electricity distribution companies operating in the country.

It was gathered that NERC’s decision was also endorsed by the Federal Government through the Minister of Power, Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola.

This is coming as the regulator revealed that it was perfecting plans to deploy prepaid meters in government’s Ministries, Departments and Agencies in order to avert future debt accumulation by the MDAs.

The Vice Chairman, NERC, Sanusi Garba, while speaking on the prepaid meter issues raised in the zone of the Jos Electricity Distribution Company, told Fashola and other participants at the last monthly meeting of operators in the sector that the amount being charged as financial sanctions depended on the class of power consumer.

Fashola advised NERC to be more accommodating during consultation and “advised the commission to place the highest level of sanctions on meter bypass to deter customers from such act.”

“He (Fashola) advised the Discos to prosecute offenders at the municipal level by liaising with the respective state governments,” it added.

http://www.realnews.i.ng/punishable-offence-bypass-meters-nerc/
pls what's the punishment for reaping on customers with estimated monthly inflated billing?

2 Likes

Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by SOFTENGR: 8:13am On Oct 03, 2017
What's the penalty on Discos Staff who are collecting bribe to give meters?

2 Likes

Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by andyanders: 8:14am On Oct 03, 2017
TrueSenator:
Keep regulating darkness.....you better focus on providing light before attracting issues undecided undecided undecided undecided

Exactly. Fashola is a complete failure with their APC bunch of undeveloped minds running this government.

I am highly disappointed with their level of intelligence in their leadership. Why not provide the so called prepaid meters first before running their mouth on the idea of sanctions to defaulters who bypass meters. The so called prepaid meter card that don't function well and you will be charged 5,000k for replacement.

This government is a curse rather than a blessing. Corruption is even higher with APC government than any other government EVER in this country.

2 Likes

Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by Nobody: 8:14am On Oct 03, 2017
erico2k2:

You still do not get it
what has DISCOS got to do with this?
we have just under 4000 and you are talking DISCOS, what about teh GENCOS??
mayB they should allow us sell power to the grid as done in the UK!

GENCOS Now run our power generation assets...while DISCOS run the distribution. Transmission is run by govt. Has been since 2014.

(When the previous govt tried to get Nigerians to come and register their opinion on the matter...most of you people kept quiet....now here we are.).

Besides...we need money to improve the generation capacity (which is now 6000-7000...which isn't enough...we need 40000MW at least )...and that is going to cost us $100billion. (And we have to fix transmisison...which may cost us N5 trillion).

Better pay your bills. wink
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by Nobody: 8:15am On Oct 03, 2017
dannytoe:
70% of nigerians dont connect their borehole to their meter, they bypass to save cost.
70% from which statistics?
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by erico2k2(m): 8:15am On Oct 03, 2017
9jakohai:

1.Power is in the hands of GENCOS.....it is only transmission that is run by govt.

2.ANd yes....I include govt agencies and company as people who are part of the bill skippers.....infact if you do not pay your bills...whether govt or individual....you are sabotaging our effort to get power.

3.We need money to make the improvements needed for power. JUst now...we need (according to one estimate ) $100billion just to improve power generation (HInt...our external reserves are at $32billion).

4.Hydroelectric power isn't archaic...and besides...where do you expect GENCOS to get the money to build new ones or upgrade exisiting ones if you and govt agencies do not pay up your bills.

5.Enemy of the common people? I pay my power bills..it is those who do not pay their bills...whether individuals or entities that are doing us wrong.

The way you are behaving....I hope that when you are running a business you will allow people to come in and take your products for free. Without paying.....then when you want to buy new stock....you will just go to your magic box and remove money where needed....

Or you will do the sensible thing...and sell your products at a profitable price.

bro the issue of investment in power generation is a long term thing, once govt mandate the DISCOS to provide PPM, they will in turn look for money for new investment,this has nothing to do with paying public, the telecoms industry is bigger than power generation but yet they are improving everyday.
There are easy fix to meter bypass if they DISCOS are serious,PPM can be positioned a way bypassing would be a thing of the past.If power is available people would pay if they have no choice.

1 Like

Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by Lomprico2: 8:18am On Oct 03, 2017
9jakohai:

The bills you get from the DISCOS are not crazy....infact we pay very cheaply for electricity.

As an example....my estimated bill for power in my previous residence was N6400 (One bedroom apt).
A similar apartment in England....the bill with a prepaid meter is N15000 (All values per month).

Guess why English houses have light 24/7.....and why Nigerian houses can't get light.

Money to fix power is not going to drop from heaven....like manna....from our pockets it will come.

So u were happy to be paying 6400 for no light?

1 Like

Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by Nobody: 8:18am On Oct 03, 2017
erico2k2:

Use your brain small here,if there is electricity people would pay, the will find a way to make sure they pay as evident in teh Telcom environment, if anyone told you i n 1990 that a bread seller can pay for phone bills would you believe?

AH....you were not around when GSM came around.

Back then...we paid N5000 for sim....and the service was atrocious (At one point, you could not call inbetween networks, internet was slow, and network was atrocious)

Bat we paid high amounts of money....and people grumbled a lot.....but the high amounts of money we paid helped the telcos to make things better

(They also were allowed to borrow heavily from banks...something the DISCOS or the GENCOS have not been allowed to do)

That was the reasoning behind the privatization of power by the last admin.
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by Nobody: 8:19am On Oct 03, 2017
Lomprico2:

So u were happy to be paying 6400 for no light?

And part of the reason why I had no light was because millions of Nigerians and lots of govt agencies don't pay their bills.

Capisce?
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by Nobody: 8:19am On Oct 03, 2017
9jakohai:
It is a good idea.....a very good idea.

Thing is, people who bypass meters and refuse to pay their power bills are a big part of the reason why we don't have light 24 hours a day.

Our power sector needs money, and the vast majority of it is going to have to come from our pockets. So, if people keep on bypassing the meter, or stealing power...and then expect light to be on 24/7, they are just deceiving themselves.

AM sure that most of the people who are doing this , if they were running businesses and they allowed customers to take their goods without paying....they would get broke.

Nigerians....we have to pay to get light. Sorry, but that is privatization.
I was opportuned to meet a marketer of one the disco dancers, she said every towns or cities under them are given targets. Some areas are asked to pay up to N2m monthly, that's one of the reason for estimating Billings. Now the question is would you expect a customer to pay estimated bill without bye passing metres or estimated bill with by passed metres?

1 Like

Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by erico2k2(m): 8:20am On Oct 03, 2017
9jakohai:

GENCOS Now run our power generation assets...while DISCOS run the distribution. Transmission is run by govt. Has been since 2014.

(When the previous govt tried to get Nigerians to come and register their opinion on the matter...most of you people kept quiet....now here we are.).

Besides...we need money to improve the generation capacity (which is now 6000-7000...which isn't enough...we need 40000MW at least )...and that is going to cost us $100billion. (And we have to fix transmisison...which may cost us N5 trillion).

Better pay your bills. wink
You are not saying anything diff frm me in your first two lines.
This we need money to fix power in Nigeria do not wash with me,This is the responsibility of GENCOS and DISCOS,
Why should the paying public invest on a Biz you only is going to rip the reward from
They GENCOS did a sturdy B4 they bought into the power sector, so there is no xcuse for them not seeking for new money to power their investment.I sense very soon the GENCOS will collapse and run away cos they have no working formula rather to cheat however to this end the DISCOS had adopted a way to bypass this by not receiving and distributing power so they dont pay the GENCOS,
At this point we both see who the real enemy is DISCOS.

1 Like

Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by Moreoffaith(m): 8:20am On Oct 03, 2017
9jakohai:

And what happen to ones we have been paying all this while if I understand you better.
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by WrathOfHadez(m): 8:20am On Oct 03, 2017
[s]
9jakohai:

[/s]

Who owns and controls kanji and shiroro dams?

I see you're part of this thieving idiotic power generating companies who took Nigerians for a ride.

2 Likes

Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by erico2k2(m): 8:20am On Oct 03, 2017
asuustrike2009:

I was opportuned to meet a marketer of one the disco dancers, she said every towns or cities under them are given targets. Some areas are asked to pay up to N2m monthly, that's one of the reason for estimating Billings. Now the question is would you expect a customer to pay estimated bill without bye passing metres or estimated bill with by passed metres?
Good question !
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by Lomprico2: 8:20am On Oct 03, 2017
9jakohai:

BMC!
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by Lomprico2: 8:23am On Oct 03, 2017
9jakohai:

And part of the reason why I had no light was because millions of Nigerians and lots of govt agencies don't pay their bills.

Capisce?

Keep lying to urself!
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by Akalia(m): 8:23am On Oct 03, 2017
andyanders:

Exactly. Fashola is a complete failure with their APC bunch of undeveloped minds running this government.

I am highly disappointed with their level of intelligence in their leadership. Why not provide the so called prepaid meters first before running their mouth on the idea of sanctions to defaulters who bypass meters. The so called prepaid meter card that don't function well and you will be charged 5,000k for replacement.

This government is a curse rather than a blessing. Corruption is even higher with APC government than any other government EVER in this country.
how do you mean prepaid meter card don't function well? It's obvious you don't know jack about the prepaid meter technology, probably because you don't use one. I use prepaid meter and I can tell you it is the best value for money any consumer of power in Nigeria could get.
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by erico2k2(m): 8:23am On Oct 03, 2017
9jakohai:

AH....you were not around when GSM came around.

Back then...we paid N5000 for sim....and the service was atrocious (At one point, you could not call inbetween networks, internet was slow, and network was atrocious)

Bat we paid high amounts of money....and people grumbled a lot.....but the high amounts of money we paid helped the telcos to make things better

(They also were allowed to borrow heavily from banks...something the DISCOS or the GENCOS have not been allowed to do)

That was the reasoning behind the privatization of power by the last admin.
what do you mean I was not arround when GSM came?
I was in Enugu 1999/2000 so I was around and know the cost then,however the cost came down cos of competition.The DISCOS and GENCOS can borrow from china banks,The reason they cant is simple
No clear cut infrastructural plans.
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by Nobody: 8:24am On Oct 03, 2017
erico2k2:

bro the issue of investment in power generation is a long term thing, once govt mandate the DISCOS to provide PPM, they will in turn look for money for new investment,this has nothing to do with paying public, the telecoms industry is bigger than power generation but yet they are improving everyday.
There are easy fix to meter bypass if they DISCOS are serious,PPM can be positioned a way bypassing would be a thing of the past.If power is available people would pay if they have no choice.

1.Even if everyone gets PPM we still need heavy amounts of cash to pay for the thing...and as you can see from the title of the article...even with PPM....people still bypass the meter!

2.Some DISCO workers in a certain town went to fix a bypassed meter. They were attacked and had to call the Police.

3.T[b]elecoms works because there is no way you can use their products for free (NO equivalent of bypassing meter in telecoms[/b]). PLus...they had access to heavy loans from banks...which the DISCOS don't get because they are viewed as a risky business by banks (because most people and govt agencies don't pay their bills...the DISCOS and GENCOS don't have stable sources of income...so banks stay away)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Difference In Self Block Moulding And Buying Vaibrated Blocks / Don't Lose Your House To A Bulldozer: The Dangers Of Buying Property In Lagos / Nuvie Global Services Int Ltd. BRAITWAITHE GRP TANKS EXPERTS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.