Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,133 members, 7,829,046 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:05 PM

Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC (18089 Views)

NERC: A Landlord's outstanding Electricity Bills Cannot Be Enforced On A Tenant / Do You Know? You Can Earn Extra N450,000 Monthly And Still Keep Your Job / Do You Know? You Can Earn Extra N450,000 Monthly And Still Keep Your Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by erico2k2(m): 8:25am On Oct 03, 2017
Akalia:
how do you mean prepaid meter card don't function well? It's obvious you don't know jack about the prepaid meter technology, probably because you don't use one. I use prepaid me and I can tell you it is the best value for money any consumer of power in Nigeria could get.
Im telling you, he dnt know shyte, if you pay for power you use , then you are happy, if no power pop ur gen, at that way your money is not ending in pocket of FAT bags sitting at one DISCOS table.
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by WrathOfHadez(m): 8:26am On Oct 03, 2017
9jakohai:

You are running a business selling android phones...and your mode of business is to allow people buy them at N1000 per phone....

That is the kind of business practice you are expecting our DISCOS and GENCOS to practice.....no wonder light no dey.

What a mad uncorrelated point!!!

It took Buhari to stop you thieves from collecting fixed charges even on pre paid customers.

You're reluctant to provide meter to the vast majority of Nigerians because you enrich yourselves with bill estimation.

The Government has ordered you to stop billing un- metred customers on two occasions but you're incompetent as much as you're a law breaker.

Your power generation is idiotic and nonexistent and your bills are rising at the same time.

And you're here trying to do damage control.

1 Like

Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by Nobody: 8:27am On Oct 03, 2017
Lomprico2:

BMC!

I am 'defending' ...so to speak...a project that was a GEJ Initiative....and installed under his govt....and you are calling me BMC!

grin

Laff wan kee me!

We need $300billion to fix power...and much of it is going to come from our pockets. Be realistic....has nothing to do with BMC.(OR tan).
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by Lomprico2: 8:29am On Oct 03, 2017
9jakohai:

I am 'defending' ...so to speak...a project that was a GEJ Initiative....and installed under his govt....and you are calling me BMC!

grin

Laff wan kee me!

We need $300billion to fix power...and much of it is going to come from our pockets. Be realistic....has nothing to do with BMC.(OR tan).

BMC eeee!
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by WrathOfHadez(m): 8:30am On Oct 03, 2017
erico2k2:

what do you mean I was not arround when GSM came?
I was in Enugu 1999/2000 so I was around and know the cost then,however the cost came down cos of competition.The DISCOS and GENCOS can borrow from china banks,The reason they cant is simple
No clear cut infrastructural plans.

So you're in Enugu. Hope you're aware the Enugu Government filled a case to EFCC on EEDC's fraudulent charges and billings and the thieves had to beg and reduce the billing.
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by Nobody: 8:30am On Oct 03, 2017
WrathOfHadez:
What a mad uncorrelated point!!!

It took Buhari to stop you thieves from collecting fixed charges even on pre paid customers.

You're reluctant to provide meter to the vast majority of Nigerians because you enrich yourselves with bill estimation.

The Government has ordered you to stop billing un- metred customers on two occasions but you're incompetent as much as you're a law breaker.

Your power generation is idiotic and nonexistent and your bills are rising at the same time.

And you're here trying to do damage control.

OK....I am a disco worker (me that used to fight disco for meter at one stage....hehehe)

IN my opinion....our power system needs a lot of cash...and that cash must be raised.

It is a sad thing...and I wish it werent true...but there it is.

SO.....we need to find $100bn to improve generating capacity, and N5 trillion to fix transmission.

I wish I had better ideas on how to raise the money....but apart from sacrificing millions of chickens and goats to the money goddess....
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by smartg(m): 8:31am On Oct 03, 2017
9jakohai:

The bills you get from the DISCOS are not crazy....infact we pay very cheaply for electricity.

As an example....my estimated bill for power in my previous residence was N6400 (One bedroom apt).
A similar apartment in England....the bill with a prepaid meter is N15000 (All values per month).

Guess why English houses have light 24/7.....and why Nigerian houses can't get light.

Money to fix power is not going to drop from heaven....like manna....from our pockets it will come.
so you think you're making a point now. comparing yourself wit somebody dat has 24/7 days light and you dat have 24/30 day light
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by Nobody: 8:34am On Oct 03, 2017
asuustrike2009:

I was opportuned to meet a marketer of one the disco dancers, she said every towns or cities under them are given targets. Some areas are asked to pay up to N2m monthly, that's one of the reason for estimating Billings. Now the question is would you expect a customer to pay estimated bill without bye passing metres or estimated bill with by passed metres?

1.Estimated billing customers don't have meters (I know...used to be one until recently).

2.Prepaid meters don't pay much for the DISCOS....(I have a prepaid meter now...and I put in N6000 for my first try....looks like that N6K will last me till December ending !). And the thing is...what we pay for power in NIgeria is too low to make the needed improvements.

Now...I don't like estimated billing myself....but it is the only way to make things break even for the DISCOS....especially as there are people who do not pay anything for power.

And God knows we need trillions of naira to improve things. That money won't come from the sky.
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by Nobody: 8:36am On Oct 03, 2017
smartg:

so you think you're making a point now. comparing yourself wit somebody dat has 24/7 days light and you dat have 24/30 day light

Yeah...they have 24/7 light...because people over there are not allowed to get away without paying their bills....and because people who bypass meters there get into deep soup.

Hence the power companies there have the money to make much needed improvements.
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by kachasi: 8:36am On Oct 03, 2017
where is the meter first. b4 we go talk of bypass
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by WrathOfHadez(m): 8:36am On Oct 03, 2017
9jakohai:

OK....I am a disco worker (me that used to fight disco for meter at one stage....hehehe)

IN my opinion....our power system needs a lot of cash...and that cash must be raised.

SO.....we need to find $100bn to improve generating capacity, and N5 trillion to fix transmission.

I wish I had better ideas on how to raise the money....but apart from sacrificing millions of chickens and goats to the money goddess....

Oh Man, get your facts right and stop brainwashing the masses that skipping meter lines and all other craps is what's making our power generation unstable.

No where in the land of humans, aliens and spirits does a country of 200 million use a stupid hydroelectric dams solely or primarily for power generation in 2017.

This is same infrastructure we were using when our population was below 70 million.

South Africa immediately after the apathied regime fell apart and electricity was expanded to rural black areas they went nuclear in generating power. Even when already producing over 40,000 MW. And this country is just 53 million the size of Lagos and Kano! What a shame!!!

Egypt of about 60 million or so has gone nuclear generation of power.

Nigeria is still pussyfooting. And draging location and terms with Russia.

Abi the high cost of fuel would also be blamed on marketers and distributors when our refineries aren't working.

You're impossible!
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by fortunejum: 8:40am On Oct 03, 2017
Give us meter first.
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by erico2k2(m): 8:42am On Oct 03, 2017
WrathOfHadez:

So you're in Enugu. Hope you're aware the Enugu Government filled a case to EFCC on EEDC's fraudulent charges and billings and the thieves had to beg and reduce the billing.

I never said Im in ENugu, I said I was in ENUGU them times stated!
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by Nobody: 8:43am On Oct 03, 2017
WrathOfHadez:
[s][/s]

Who owns and controls kanji and shiroro dams?

I see you're part of this thieving idiotic power generating companies who took Nigerians for a ride.

Kainji is run by Kainji Hydroelectirc PLC, while SHiroro is run by Shiroro Hydro Electric PLC

http://iwin.org.ng/index.php/news/itemlist/category/179-generation-company-genco

If you think that the whole process was wrongly done...why didn't you complain when the govt of GEJ offered you a chance to complain?
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by erico2k2(m): 8:44am On Oct 03, 2017
9jakohai:

as it stand the average Nigerian can generate thier own power for %50 minimum of waht they need, so wahts the point of governance if they cant even generate %60 of which we will still pay for?
They should take LOAN, at least teh FG is taking LOANS!
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by Nobody: 8:46am On Oct 03, 2017
WrathOfHadez:

Oh Man, get your facts right and stop brainwashing the masses that skipping meter lines and all other craps is what's making our power generation unstable.

No where in the land of humans, aliens and spirits does a country of 200 million use a stupid hydroelectric dams solely or primarily for power generation in 2017.

This is same infrastructure we were using when our population was below 70 million.

South Africa immediately after the apathied regime fell apart and electricity was expanded to rural black areas they went nuclear in generating power. Even when already producing over 40,000 MW. And this country is just 53 million the size of Lagos and Kano! What a shame!!!

Egypt of about 60 million or so has gone nuclear generation of power.

Nigeria is still pussyfooting. And draging location and terms with Russia.

Abi the high cost of fuel would also be blamed on marketers and distributors when our refineries aren't working.

You're impossible!

I happen to back Nuclear, solar and waste generation power plants for Nigeria by the way.

But all these cost money...which means spending above $100billion.(A nuclear power plant costs $9billion per unit. Our external reserves in $30billion).

Besides...when I suggest we go nuclear here...people jump on me as an 'enemy'....so...
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by juman(m): 8:47am On Oct 03, 2017
9jakohai:

SO, where do you expect APC to find $300billion to fix power comprehensively?

That is why we have DISCOS.

(And if we try to reverse the whole DISCO thing....this govt might end up paying billions in legal settlements.).

Pay your power bills please.

Senselense apc government.

They makes noise up and down, they know nothing how to move the country forward.

Useless people.
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by erico2k2(m): 8:47am On Oct 03, 2017
9jakohai:

1.Estimated billing customers don't have meters (I know...used to be one until recently).

2.Prepaid meters don't pay much for the DISCOS....(I have a prepaid meter now...and I put in N6000 for my first try....looks like that N6K will last me till December ending !). And the thing is...what we pay for power in NIgeria is too low to make the needed improvements.

Now...I don't like estimated billing myself....but it is the only way to make things break even for the DISCOS....especially as there are people who do not pay anything for power.

And God knows we need trillions of naira to improve things. That money won't come from the sky.
ahahah you are a joke bro, people with Meters still pay estimated bills,do you think an average home get enough power from teh Grid to warrant a N12K monthly bill in Nigeria? if you do then you are on a long thing!
Are you not same person who said DICOS are given target from certain areas??
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by upuphim(m): 8:47am On Oct 03, 2017
NERC, What will be done to Discos for crazy bills?
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by erico2k2(m): 8:51am On Oct 03, 2017
9jakohai:

I happen to back Nuclear, solar and waste generation power plants for Nigeria by the way.

But all these cost money...which means spending above $100billion.(A nuclear power plant costs $9billion per unit. Our external reserves in $30billion).

Besides...when I suggest we go nuclear here...people jump on me as an 'enemy'....so...

Forget the Nuclear power thing.This will never happen, lets be realistic.the UK Govt cant even afford it they had to rely on a Chinese company, even teh France could not afford it and the Uk is only 60 million.
The way 4ward is gas powered station, these are easy and quick to set up.
All power generation apart from SOLAR depends on WATER as last result even Nuclear.All that is needed is a source to boil the water.
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by WrathOfHadez(m): 8:54am On Oct 03, 2017
9jakohai:

Kainji is run by Kainji Hydroelectirc PLC, while SHiroro is run by Shiroro Hydro Electric PLC

http://iwin.org.ng/index.php/news/itemlist/category/179-generation-company-genco

If you think that the whole process was wrongly done...why didn't you complain when the govt of GEJ offered you a chance to complain?

That's like saying NNPC is a private company.
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by erico2k2(m): 8:54am On Oct 03, 2017
9jakohai:

1.Even if everyone gets PPM we still need heavy amounts of cash to pay for the thing...and as you can see from the title of the article...even with PPM....people still bypass the meter!

2.Some DISCO workers in a certain town went to fix a bypassed meter. They were attacked and had to call the Police.

3.T[b]elecoms works because there is no way you can use their products for free (NO equivalent of bypassing meter in telecoms[/b]). PLus...they had access to heavy loans from banks...which the DISCOS don't get because they are viewed as a risky business by banks (because most people and govt agencies don't pay their bills...the DISCOS and GENCOS don't have stable sources of income...so banks stay away)
the DISCOS need a working formula,and as things stand they are losing and they will lose, cos people can live without them but they can not live without people. Solare is getting cheaper by the day, i found a seller that sells complete package for £4500, this will carry freezer washing machines etc, so as you see thats me sorted.when a whole street stop paying bills waht next??
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by WrathOfHadez(m): 8:58am On Oct 03, 2017
9jakohai:

So you're advocating for the masses to produce thier own electricity by paying for what they never consumed? Are you aware Nigerians have been buying their own transformers for decades?

South Africa has an economy of 27something billion dollars and have kick started 3 nuclear power generating stations.

Nigeria with over 500 billion dollar economy hasn't started any and is forcing her citizens of 200 million to share 5 thousand mega watt!!!

Nice advocacy.

**Modified**

...and Russia did propose to build 3 nuclear plants for free. But the Nigerian government is incompetent as a sedated baboon thrust into a circus show!
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by dennisworld1(m): 9:14am On Oct 03, 2017
Make dem first go search those hours s wen get big dogs and high fence. Even fashola house and dem tinibu. I dey go buy big dog dey wait them
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by globatop: 9:24am On Oct 03, 2017
9jakohai:

The bills you get from the DISCOS are not crazy....infact we pay very cheaply for electricity.

As an example....my estimated bill for power in my previous residence was N6400 (One bedroom apt).
A similar apartment in England....the bill with a prepaid meter is N15000 (All values per month).

Guess why English houses have light 24/7.....and why Nigerian houses can't get light.

Money to fix power is not going to drop from heaven....like manna....from our pockets it will come.

Why are quick to compare rates and bills in Nigeria with other developed countries?
A consumer that pays equivalent of 15k for electricity in England would have supply for 24/7, how many hours of the day and how many days in a month can an average Nigerian consumer have supply in a month.
Secondly, can anyone in UK live on equivalent of 18k per month. Our politicians are living large while we are living like paupers, God dey o

1 Like

Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by toluxa1(m): 9:32am On Oct 03, 2017
I'd rather use that money to install a comprehensive solar system in my house.
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by luorquay: 9:45am On Oct 03, 2017
9jakohai:

15k for wetin I go jes carry ma charger anywhere I go plug ma fone. Free wifi everywhere wenever I wan watch ball with ma fone, I nor need fan for house cos weather cold so make dem hold their prepaid meter cheesy
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by Aribambam: 9:52am On Oct 03, 2017
pls what does it mean to bypass meter
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by 2shure: 9:54am On Oct 03, 2017
And also a/c
Washing machine
And iron
By now we all shud be relying on solar
No bills
Free sun..free light
We are doomed for life
quote author=dannytoe post=61056124]70% of nigerians dont connect their borehole to their meter, they bypass to save cost.[/quote]
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by Anonymous1900: 9:58am On Oct 03, 2017
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by Anonymous1900: 10:00am On Oct 03, 2017
I am neither for the Discos or the Consumers, just want to clear up some mis-information with accurate info i have access every now and then via my job.

1. The current tariff is not cost reflective for investment by the discos on critcal infrastructure neededfor upgrades (this infrastructure are meters, transformers, feeders and maintenance equipment etc)

2. The Discos do not have access to loans from banks or investors because they are deep in the Red with their books and the current model being operated makes no sense for any normal business man to invest in so they only get funds from agencys/govt to keep the industry running

3. No disco/genco has declared profit for a month since inception (this icould be either due to bad management or huge losses)

4. A huge amount of investment is required like "9jakhoai" mentioned but it also not meant to come from the public (this is because the time it will take to pull public funds together to invest will make the system collapse so what is obtainable world wide is loans and then you service the loans from the public funds you obtain - however since nobody will grant the discos loan cos of their dire situation, then the public funds become ever so critical)

5. discos still give out estimated bills to metered customers (old analog metered customers)

6. Targets exist but his is because energy theft is beyond normal comprehension in the country and a marketer is told we supplied 2 million worth of energy to your transformer which is true by the way but half of the people in that community are "consumers" not "customers" so the marketer has to share the bill as estimated to the customers and then people complain.

7. A state of emergency needs to be declared in the power sector not to revisit privatisation but to let privatisation work in the true sense, just the way it was done with fuel subsidy - If discos cant charge a fair price for power and we want uninterrupted power or even stable power then we have a problem

8. the only thing that can drive prices down is competition (which happened with gsm) and cheaper operating conditions (when raw materials are produced locally instead of imported). the discos original licence will expire next year then we can see what governments next move will be!

I hope this points help direct some of the beautiful arguments have read this morning with a lot of people assuming "9ja" guy is crazy or a disco/genco worker but he does have some salient and valid points and so do others here. My motive was simply to enlighten people on what some of the root causes of our energy problems are.

P.s : I dont think naija can do nuclear cos we are to emotional and unstable and some upset people might decide to make a stand by attempting to blow up such infrastructure
2. to develop a nuclear program requires consent from G8 countries and other western powers who will never grant us such at this time and if we insist, they will direct heavy sanctions at us among other reasons
WrathOfHadez:
So you're advocating for the masses to produce thier own electricity by paying for what they never consumed? Are you aware Nigerians have been buying their own transformers for decades?

South Africa has an economy of 27something billion dollars and have kick started 3 nuclear power generating stations.

Nigeria with over 500 billion dollar economy hasn't started any and is forcing her citizens of 200 million to share 5 thousand mega watt!!!

Nice advocacy.

**Modified**

...and Russia did propose to build 3 nuclear plants for free. But the Nigerian government is incompetent as a sedated baboon thrust into a circus show!

1 Like

Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by andyanders: 10:05am On Oct 03, 2017
Akalia:
how do you mean prepaid meter card don't function well? It's obvious you don't know jack about the prepaid meter technology, probably because you don't use one. I use prepaid meter and I can tell you it is the best value for money any consumer of power in Nigeria could get.

Ask question and stop your stupidity over what you don't know. I have a prepaid meter card, of which I took the card to their office on several occasions for a recharge, I was told that the card has a problem. Later when this issue persisted, I was advised to put up a letter for a replacement of the card that it has gone bad. I was given an IBEDC account to pay N5,000. After the payment, I was told to pay N2,500 in order to be connected to light.

This above should make you stupid to your statement as stated herein.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Difference In Self Block Moulding And Buying Vaibrated Blocks / Don't Lose Your House To A Bulldozer: The Dangers Of Buying Property In Lagos / Nuvie Global Services Int Ltd. BRAITWAITHE GRP TANKS EXPERTS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.