Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,034 members, 7,828,625 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 12:14 PM

Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC (18088 Views)

NERC: A Landlord's outstanding Electricity Bills Cannot Be Enforced On A Tenant / Do You Know? You Can Earn Extra N450,000 Monthly And Still Keep Your Job / Do You Know? You Can Earn Extra N450,000 Monthly And Still Keep Your Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by akanbiaa(m): 10:08am On Oct 03, 2017
9jakohai:

The bills you get from the DISCOS are not crazy....infact we pay very cheaply for electricity.

As an example....my estimated bill for power in my previous residence was N6400 (One bedroom apt).
A similar apartment in England....the bill with a prepaid meter is N15000 (All values per month).

Guess why English houses have light 24/7.....and why Nigerian houses can't get light.

Money to fix power is not going to drop from heaven....like manna....from our pockets it will come.
What of a bill of #2000 increased to # 17000 and a bill of #8000 increased to # 15750 and average increment of #2000 monthly and all letters and complaints ignored?
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by WrathOfHadez(m): 10:32am On Oct 03, 2017
Anonymous1900:
I am neither for the Discos or the Consumers, just want to clear up some mis-information with accurate info i have access every now and then via my job.

1. The current tariff is not cost reflective for investment by the discos on critcal infrastructure neededfor upgrades (this infrastructure are meters, transformers, feeders and maintenance equipment etc)

2. The Discos do not have access to loans from banks or investors because they are deep in the Red with their books and the current model being operated makes no sense for any normal business man to invest in so they only get funds from agencys/govt to keep the industry running

3. No disco/genco has declared profit for a month since inception (this icould be either due to bad management or huge losses)

4. A huge amount of investment is required like "9jakhoai" mentioned but it also not meant to come from the public (this is because the time it will take to pull public funds together to invest will make the system collapse so what is obtainable world wide is loans and then you service the loans from the public funds you obtain - however since nobody will grant the discos loan cos of their dire situation, then the public funds become ever so critical)

5. discos still give out estimated bills to metered customers (old analog metered customers)

6. Targets exist but his is because energy theft is beyond normal comprehension in the country and a marketer is told we supplied 2 million worth of energy to your transformer which is true by the way but half of the people in that community are "consumers" not "customers" so the marketer has to share the bill as estimated to the customers and then people complain.

7. A state of emergency needs to be declared in the power sector not to revisit privatisation but to let privatisation work in the true sense, just the way it was done with fuel subsidy - If discos cant charge a fair price for power and we want uninterrupted power or even stable power then we have a problem

8. the only thing that can drive prices down is competition (which happened with gsm) and cheaper operating conditions (when raw materials are produced locally instead of imported). the discos original licence will expire next year then we can see what governments next move will be!

I hope this points help direct some of the beautiful arguments have read this morning with a lot of people assuming "9ja" guy is crazy or a disco/genco worker but he does have some salient and valid points and so do others here. My motive was simply to enlighten people on what some of the root causes of our energy problems are.

P.s : I dont think naija can do nuclear cos we are to emotional and unstable and some upset people might decide to make a stand by attempting to blow up such infrastructure
2. to develop a nuclear program requires consent from G8 countries and other western powers who will never grant us such at this time and if we insist, they will direct heavy sanctions at us among other reasons

Points damn accurate!
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by stilldoingokay(f): 10:32am On Oct 03, 2017
nonsense, their should come and cut my now rubbish, I don't even know how my oga did it, I cant remember the last time I went to Nepa office to buy unit.
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by lighter4: 10:45am On Oct 03, 2017
the most corrupt organization in Nigeria is NEPA. they give us darkness n collet millions in return. the most painful thing is dat our representatives sinators and reps re not doing anything about it. the real problem d poor masses face is this problem of light and is high cost. the sinators and reps should pass a bill for every compound to own a prepaid meter., so dat dis illegal estimated bill could stop.
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by heffem(m): 10:47am On Oct 03, 2017
hero01:
where ar the mater?

Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by pat1612(m): 11:05am On Oct 03, 2017
9jakohai:

The bills you get from the DISCOS are not crazy....infact we pay very cheaply for electricity.

As an example....my estimated bill for power in my previous residence was N6400 (One bedroom apt).
A similar apartment in England....the bill with a prepaid meter is N15000 (All values per month).

Guess why English houses have light 24/7.....and why Nigerian houses can't get light.

Money to fix power is not going to drop from heaven....like manna....from our pockets it will come.
I think you are not serious my bill in india for 24*7 power was 5000 naira for one bedroom apartment.
Money doesnt fix problem in this country imagine u dont get power for 3 months and u get a bill of 8 to 10k every month will u accept that in England but unfortunately you have to accept here no choice.
And your house in england had a meter to estimate what your use and when u convert naira to pound is small amount so when u stay in england u are billed according but when u stay in nigeria you are billed without your usage.
I hope you dont feel the pain.
And meter that can be easily arrange are not brought stating forex availability but people are ready to pay back market price for meter and still they dont agree to bring it. It is pure wickedness.
I have been in a country where even a small village get 24*7 power a month and will not pay that money.
I can go on and on but is not required is not ability to pay bill but are you paying what you use and dont ask me ask anybody here and answer will be a big NO.still people pay not because they use but because of fear of accumulating the bills over month.
Hope you understand what i am saying PEACE ✌️
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by teflonjake(m): 11:10am On Oct 03, 2017
dannytoe:
70% of nigerians dont connect their borehole to their meter, they bypass to save cost.

The foundation of my house is on bypass sef grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by zeestone99(m): 11:17am On Oct 03, 2017
9jakohai:

Hw can u reason like this, minimum wage in Nigeria n England, is it the same tin. Not to even talk abt other things. Jobs, support from govt etc, y won't they happily pay dt mch

1 Like

Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by goodnews777: 11:38am On Oct 03, 2017
No mr foolish fashola you should be worried about customers duped by these same companies because soon NIGERIANS will learn to sue them for harassment and corporate negligence plus extortion .
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by hero01(m): 11:42am On Oct 03, 2017
[quote author=heffem post=61062215][/quote] i dey my house come nd beat me
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by mank1234(m): 12:11pm On Oct 03, 2017
Comparison is way off.
The loads in both apartment are they equal?
The duration of power supply are they same?
Ability to pay in both countries is it same(purchasing power)?

The current rate is almost at par with generation from solar by individuals and can therefore not be subsidized heavily as claimed especially when you consider economy of scale.

9jakohai:

Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by cutechi(f): 2:11pm On Oct 03, 2017
omenka:
And what would be the penalty for the thieving companies who give their customers arbitrary estimated bills when they are yet to install metres?

Yeye dey ooze.
A question that the appropriate authorities will never answer.

1 Like

Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by Nobody: 2:18pm On Oct 03, 2017
9jakohai:

1.Estimated billing customers don't have meters (I know...used to be one until recently).

2.Prepaid meters don't pay much for the DISCOS....(I have a prepaid meter now...and I put in N6000 for my first try....looks like that N6K will last me till December ending !). And the thing is...what we pay for power in NIgeria is too low to make the needed improvements.

Now...I don't like estimated billing myself....but it is the only way to make things break even for the DISCOS....especially as there are people who do not pay anything for power.

And God knows we need trillions of naira to improve things. That money won't come from the sky.
You can speak for yourself but most customers are paying estimated bills even when they have metres. You are lucky you had prepaid metre,how many Nigerians have it?. My cousin complained to me that the disco dancers cut their light even when there was prepaid metre. The excuse they gave was that they don't use their card. Her response was that she barely comes home and rarely see electricity. Now tell me after the explanation why would the disco dancers request for reconnection fee when she wasn't at fault?. Don't they have records in their system?
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by CioAngels(f): 2:33pm On Oct 03, 2017
9jakohai:
It is a good idea.....a very good idea.

Thing is, people who bypass meters and refuse to pay their power bills are a big part of the reason why we don't have light 24 hours a day.

Our power sector needs money, and the vast majority of it is going to have to come from our pockets. So, if people keep on bypassing the meter, or stealing power...and then expect light to be on 24/7, they are just deceiving themselves.

AM sure that most of the people who are doing this , if they were running businesses and they allowed customers to take their goods without paying....they would get broke.

Nigerians....we have to pay to get light. Sorry, but that is privatization.
I'm very sure you are Phcn staff who are part of the thieves.
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by CioAngels(f): 2:36pm On Oct 03, 2017
From next month i will stop paying estimated billing becos i'm not using up to that.
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by rasco2000me: 2:57pm On Oct 03, 2017
This govt is full of madness if Ur light as problem nepa official we ask d community to contribute money for them to fixe de light,if ur transformer spolt u are on ur own,if nepa. Official can try this in d heart of Abuja apo resettlement zone D recently.where will dey nt do dat
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by Nobody: 4:06pm On Oct 03, 2017
There are no difference with yahoo boys, politicians and government agencies. Just make sure you don;t fucking get caught , steal smartly and stealthy.
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by jayriginal: 12:22am On Oct 04, 2017
9jakohai:

What are you on about? Are you on a prepaid meter or estimated bill? If you were on a prepaid meter, you wouldn't say this.
Re: Consumers To Pay N450,000 For Bypassing Meters – NERC by PumpumPrince: 10:07am On Aug 03, 2022
cutechi:

A question that the appropriate authorities will never answer.

so how much please?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Difference In Self Block Moulding And Buying Vaibrated Blocks / Don't Lose Your House To A Bulldozer: The Dangers Of Buying Property In Lagos / Nuvie Global Services Int Ltd. BRAITWAITHE GRP TANKS EXPERTS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.