Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,988 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:07 AM

Plateau Massacre : Police arrest 377 suspects, prosecute 162 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Plateau Massacre : Police arrest 377 suspects, prosecute 162 (28408 Views)

Cameroon’s Soldiers At Goshi, Kill 162 Boko Haram Militants (Photos) / 377 Cooperatives In Edo To Benefit From CBN N143m Intervention Fund / Police Arrest Oshiomole's Driver (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Plateau Massacre : Police arrest 377 suspects, prosecute 162 by Nobody: 3:06pm On Mar 07, 2010
No fewer than 377 persons are currently being held at the Nigeria Police Force headquarters in Abuja in connection with the recent crises in Jos, Plateau State.

Out of the number, 162 are being prosecuted for their roles in the crises that resulted in the death of hundreds of people and the destruction of properties worth billions of naira.

The News Agency of Nigeria reported that the Force Public Relations Officer, Mr. Emmanuel Ojukwu, disclosed this on Monday.

Ojukwu said, “The first incident of January 17, 2010, the police arrested 213 persons for various acts relating to that incident.

“On the incident that took place in Jos South Local Government on March 7, the police found cases against 164 persons and they were detained and thoroughly investigated.

“Out of these numbers, we are charging 41 for culpable homicide punishable with death.

“Another 121 are to be charged with multiple offences which include unlawful possession of fire arms, rioting and mischief by fire and causing a grievous hurt.”

When asked if any suspect was arrested with fake military uniform, he said the police had not made such arrest.

He allayed fears of reprisal attack, assuring the people that the Assistant Inspector-General of Police in charge of Zone 4, Mr. Donald Iroham, was coordinating all the security posts in the state.

The police spokesman, who re-assured the people of security in the state, urged them to discountenance any impending attack, saying that “it is just a mere rumour.”

He advised that if people noticed any suspicious movement, they should quickly report such to the nearest police station.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201003243522535
Re: Plateau Massacre : Police arrest 377 suspects, prosecute 162 by Nobody: 3:07pm On Mar 07, 2010
Open your eyes Nigerians, ISLAM is not a religion of PEACE!!!!
angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Plateau Massacre : Police arrest 377 suspects, prosecute 162 by panafrican(m): 3:10pm On Mar 07, 2010
Again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, The nigerian government must find a long lasting solution to this.
Re: Plateau Massacre : Police arrest 377 suspects, prosecute 162 by AloyEmeka5: 3:11pm On Mar 07, 2010
Why does it always happen on Sundays?
Re: Plateau Massacre : Police arrest 377 suspects, prosecute 162 by Katsumoto: 3:15pm On Mar 07, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

Why does it always happen on Sundays?

Because you can readily segment your target (Marketing 101).
Re: Plateau Massacre : Police arrest 377 suspects, prosecute 162 by Nobody: 3:18pm On Mar 07, 2010
This is getting out of hand.
Religion and ethnicity is a major problem in naija
Re: Plateau Massacre : Police arrest 377 suspects, prosecute 162 by SkyBlue1: 3:21pm On Mar 07, 2010
ifedy:

This is getting out of hand.
Religion and ethnicity is a major problem in naija

Law enforcement is what you seem to be ignoring. How many people were arrested, prosecuted, and punished for the last incident? How many people have ever been arrested for all the violence?
Re: Plateau Massacre : Police arrest 377 suspects, prosecute 162 by edoyad(m): 3:24pm On Mar 07, 2010
The chief of Army staff was busy deploying troops to guard Yaradua's corpse when their number was needed elsewhere. Anyways this thing had already been fortold by the US so this should come as no surprise to anyone, Nigeria the country is ending.
Re: Plateau Massacre : Police arrest 377 suspects, prosecute 162 by Nobody: 3:24pm On Mar 07, 2010
Sky Blue:

Law enforcement is what you seem to be ignoring. How many people were arrested, prosecuted, and punished for the last incident? How many people have ever been arrested for all the violence?

I agree with you on that one partially.
but the poor mentality of the peeps is what led to initial fight in the first place and is attributed mainly to variety of religion and ethnic views
Re: Plateau Massacre : Police arrest 377 suspects, prosecute 162 by slap1(m): 3:27pm On Mar 07, 2010
Surely, the BBC can do better. This piece of news is sketchy at best.
Re: Plateau Massacre : Police arrest 377 suspects, prosecute 162 by Nobody: 3:31pm On Mar 07, 2010
slap1:

Surely, the BBC can do better. This piece of news is sketchy at best.

Obviously they can do better, and they will.

Details will come later as and when they are confirmed.

Journalism with Integrity means that you get the full picture before the publish the whole detail.

But from experience having lived in Kano and Bauchi its the Islamists again.
Re: Plateau Massacre : Police arrest 377 suspects, prosecute 162 by EzeUche(m): 3:31pm On Mar 07, 2010
Damn it why is it always on the Lord's Day?  angry

Time for me to go to the Vatican and ask them to help sponsor a Crusade against these unbelievers. The time for Holy War is at hand!!!

We need to drive these Muslim barbarians back to the Sahara!
Re: Plateau Massacre : Police arrest 377 suspects, prosecute 162 by Nobody: 3:35pm On Mar 07, 2010
EzeUche:

Damn it why is it always on the Lord's Day?  angry

Time for me to go to the Vatican and ask them to help sponsor a Crusade against these unbelievers. The time for Holy War is at hand!!!

What we need is more prayer and more security.

These devils are sponsored by Saudi-Arabia and other state sponsors of terrorism.

JOS is the final frontier and that's why the battle is so intense.
Re: Plateau Massacre : Police arrest 377 suspects, prosecute 162 by Nobody: 3:37pm On Mar 07, 2010
Re: Plateau Massacre : Police arrest 377 suspects, prosecute 162 by nduchucks: 3:39pm On Mar 07, 2010
EzeUche:

Damn it why is it always on the Lord's Day?  angry

Let's not jump to conclusions yet. We don't know who the agressors are or what started this. It may not even be caused by religion but ethnic issues.
Re: Plateau Massacre : Police arrest 377 suspects, prosecute 162 by Nobody: 3:39pm On Mar 07, 2010
frosbel:

These devils are sponsored by Saudi-Arabia and other state sponsors of terrorism.

I tell you, the moments the xtain start retalliating, thats when they will all cool down.
and it really high time they started killing them back,
Re: Plateau Massacre : Police arrest 377 suspects, prosecute 162 by chidyke77(m): 3:41pm On Mar 07, 2010
Time to breakup is fast approaching.
Re: Plateau Massacre : Police arrest 377 suspects, prosecute 162 by edoyad(m): 3:42pm On Mar 07, 2010
Whoever started it whether hausa or christian is immaterial , the big picture shows that Nigeria is no longer practical and dissolution of federation is of utmost importance.
NIGERIA AS WE KNOW IT MUST END ! !
Re: Plateau Massacre : Police arrest 377 suspects, prosecute 162 by EzeUche(m): 3:43pm On Mar 07, 2010
frosbel:

There is a time for prayer and a time to fight back. We are tired of turning the other cheek. These Hausa-Fulani who cause this havoc in Jos targetting innocent Christians put their Hausa brothers in the south at risk for total annihilation. No more allowing them to leave while they slaughter our brothers in the north.

We must prepare ourselves for the coming dark days that will befall Nigeria!  angry
Re: Plateau Massacre : Police arrest 377 suspects, prosecute 162 by amarilo: 3:50pm On Mar 07, 2010
edoyad:

Whoever started it whether hausa or christian is immaterial , the big picture shows that Nigeria is no longer practical and dissolution of federation is of utmost importance.
NIGERIA AS WE KNOW IT MUST END ! !
You can do well by getting the fk outa here. Nigeria must remain the same. If the country is not good enuf for cameroon is not far. Let them kill anybody at site it changes nothing. One Nigeria.
Re: Plateau Massacre : Police arrest 377 suspects, prosecute 162 by Nobody: 3:53pm On Mar 07, 2010
amarilo:

You can do well by getting the fk outa here. Nigeria must remain the same. If the country is not good enuf for cameroon is not far. Let them kill anybody at site it changes nothing. One Nigeria.

Give me a few genuine reasons why Nigeria must remain one ?

For example the Igbos share absolutely nothing in common with the Hausas, we have different value systems, different religion, different aspirations and different morals.

Tell me WHY SHOULD Nigeria remain ONE.

I say let the Sharia NORTH GO and Be Gone , maybe join Chad and Niger republic.
Re: Plateau Massacre : Police arrest 377 suspects, prosecute 162 by redsun(m): 3:53pm On Mar 07, 2010
It is a reflection of bad leadership in nigeria.Religious extremism strives in dungeons like nigeria where people are mentally and physically disillusioned,broken spirited humans,more like living dead.

Jos use to be the best city in nigeria with swams of expatriates inhabitants,the only place one could find african americans in numbers then in nigeria.

Nigeria is a country ruled by blind people and the blind can only be led not the other way round.
Re: Plateau Massacre : Police arrest 377 suspects, prosecute 162 by amarilo: 3:55pm On Mar 07, 2010
frosbel:

Give me a few genuine reasons why Nigeria must remain one ?
Let me know your tribe then i will explain.
Re: Plateau Massacre : Police arrest 377 suspects, prosecute 162 by EzeUche(m): 3:58pm On Mar 07, 2010
amarilo:

We Igbos do not want remain one. And it is not "tribe" we are all ethnic groups. Get that through your thick skull. You have nothing to offer to the East. And I mean NOTHING!
Re: Plateau Massacre : Police arrest 377 suspects, prosecute 162 by Nobody: 4:00pm On Mar 07, 2010
amarilo:

lol.

Okay I am Igbo.
Re: Plateau Massacre : Police arrest 377 suspects, prosecute 162 by slap1(m): 4:01pm On Mar 07, 2010
Aren't the villages where these profanities are effected accessible? Even so, what happened to intelligence reports?
Re: Plateau Massacre : Police arrest 377 suspects, prosecute 162 by redsun(m): 4:07pm On Mar 07, 2010
Sometimes people expect too much from a rogue state like nigeria.This is the kind of things that happen in a country where the ruling elite are lawless and above the laws of the land.

What the f-uck does anybody expect from a rogue state like nigeria?It is all man to himself and devil for all.
Re: Plateau Massacre : Police arrest 377 suspects, prosecute 162 by edoyad(m): 4:11pm On Mar 07, 2010
It is sad news but it i look forward to what it will result in. Tell me why i must remain room mates with a person i abhor from the pits of my stomach ?
Re: Plateau Massacre : Police arrest 377 suspects, prosecute 162 by Beaf: 4:13pm On Mar 07, 2010
[size=14pt]Clashes kill more than 100 in central Nigeria[/size]

Villagers in Dogo Nahawa, just south of Jos, said Fulani pastoralists from the surrounding hills attacked at about 3 a.m. (9 p.m. EST), shooting into the air before slashing those who came out of their homes with machetes.

A Reuters witness who visited the village counted around 100 bodies piled in the open air. Pam Dantong, medical director of Plateau State Hospital in Jos, showed reporters 18 corpses that had been brought from the village, some of them charred.

Officials said other bodies had been taken to a second hospital in the state capital.

It was not immediately clear what triggered the violence.

"They came around 3 o'clock in the morning and they started shooting into the air," said Dogo Nahawa resident Peter Jang.

"The shooting was just meant to bring people from their houses and then when people came out they started cutting them with machetes," he said, women crying behind him.

Four days of sectarian clashes in January between mobs armed with guns, knives and machetes killed hundreds of people in Jos, the capital of Plateau state, which lies at the crossroads of Nigeria's Muslim north and predominantly Christian south.

The latest unrest in the volatile region comes at a difficult time for Nigeria, with Acting President Goodluck Jonathan trying to assert his authority while the country's ailing leader Umaru Yar'Adua remains too sick to govern.

"This is an act of inhumanity," said Da Buba Gyang, the traditional ruler of the Christian Berom ethnic group in Jos.

Jonathan deployed hundreds of troops and police to quell January's unrest, in which community leaders put the death toll at more than 400. Official police figures estimated the death toll from the clashes in and around Jos two months ago at 326.

The instability underscores the fragility of Africa's most populous nation as it approaches the campaign period for 2011 elections with uncertainty over who is in charge.

Yar'Adua returned from three months in a Saudi hospital, where he was being treated for a heart condition, a week and a half ago but has still not been seen in public. Presidency sources say he remains in a mobile intensive care unit.

Fears of a debilitating power struggle between Yar'Adua's inner circle, keen to maintain its grip on power, and Jonathan sprang up in the OPEC member state of 140 million people when the 58-year-old leader was brought back late at night.

Jonathan has moved quickly to reassert his authority, appointing three new advisory committees last week and chairing his first cabinet meeting since Yar'Adua's return.

Apart from the violence in Plateau state, there is also potential for fresh instability in the Niger Delta, the heartland of the country's mainstay oil and gas industry, after a militant splinter group last week claimed two attacks on oil facilities

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6260X420100307
Re: Plateau Massacre : Police arrest 377 suspects, prosecute 162 by Nobody: 4:15pm On Mar 07, 2010
Beaf:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6260X420100307

Just as I thought these same people from Niger and Chad!
Re: Plateau Massacre : Police arrest 377 suspects, prosecute 162 by EzeUche(m): 4:17pm On Mar 07, 2010
The children of Uthman dan Fodio has started their Fulani Jihads again! They are trying to extend the Sokoto Empire into the Middle Belt.

We people of the south must not know let that happen. The time for war is upon us! We must strike with righteous vengeance.
Re: Plateau Massacre : Police arrest 377 suspects, prosecute 162 by onstelly(f): 4:22pm On Mar 07, 2010
For God's sake d gover ment should pls do somtin about this we are talkin about human being here not chicken.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

Can Someone Explain These Terms "recurrent" & "capital" Expenditure / EFCC Chairman: Yet Another Notherner, Are Southerners Incapable? FFK Asks Buhari / Court To El-Rufai: You Can’t Stop EFCC From Investigating You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.