Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,779 members, 7,831,509 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 07:58 PM

Atheism By Definition Is Problematic - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheism By Definition Is Problematic (7193 Views)

By Definition, Jesus Is Actually A Bastard With Unknown Root. / A Prayerless Wife Is Problematic Says Mike Bamiloye / Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by butterflyl1on: 2:44pm On Oct 03, 2017
ScepticalPyrrho:
If I can see this God or gods, we wouldn't be talking about believe, would we?

If there is no reason to believe that the religious gods do not exist then what were your reasons to disbelieve?
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by ScepticalPyrrho: 2:45pm On Oct 03, 2017
vaxx:
why do you belive there is no reasons to belive otherwise?... You can't escape the definition if you are an atheist...
Why should I believe a God or gods exists when no one have shown any to actually exist or make sense when presenting reasons for their belief in God(s) existence?

1 Like

Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by ScepticalPyrrho: 2:46pm On Oct 03, 2017
butterflyl1on:

If there is no reason to believe that the religious gods do not exist then what were your reasons to disbelieve?
Because the religious beliefs doesn't make sense.
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by AgentOfAllah: 2:47pm On Oct 03, 2017
vaxx:
if that is the case.....you do not fall under atheism dogmatism... You belive in god(evidence of faith) , you do not see the need to belive in one( skeptic) therefore you are labelled a skeptic agnostic ....any way why do you think there is no need...you answer here may change your labellings again?
Personally, I hate labels. They caricaturise their victims! But if I must be labelled based on beliefs, then I am an agnostic (I don't know if god exists) atheist (I don't believe in god's existence).

Asking me why I think there is no need to believe in god is the same as asking me why I think there is no need to believe that invisible ninjas live in my eyes. Simple: I see no need to! The question really should be why you think I should believe in god.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by butterflyl1on: 2:47pm On Oct 03, 2017
ScepticalPyrrho:
Because the religious beliefs doesn't make sense.

Such as?
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by chemystery: 2:47pm On Oct 03, 2017
vaxx:
what my op is doing is simply giving the real definition of atheism....and yours is subjective.... Which simply contradict scientist atheist....how can bad be measure ,is it testable?so there is nothing like moral atheist which you claim you are? According to science definition.... There is nothing like bad or good
Where did i claim to be a moral atheist?
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by AgentOfAllah: 2:48pm On Oct 03, 2017
butterflyl1on:

Sorry but this is a contradiction.

If you do not believe there is a god it simply means you disbelieve a god exists and this in itself translates to you believe there is no god.
Do you know the meaning of contradiction?
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by ScepticalPyrrho: 2:50pm On Oct 03, 2017
butterflyl1on:

Such as?
Believing in the existence of Yahweh, Vishnu, Odin, Allah.... And many more I can't remember right now...
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by vaxx: 2:53pm On Oct 03, 2017
AgentOfAllah:

Personally, I hate labels. They caricaturise their victims! But if I must be labelled based on beliefs, then I am an agnostic (I don't know if god exists) atheist (I don't believe in god's existence).

Asking me why I think there is no need to believe in god is the same as asking me why I think there is no need to believe that invisible ninjas live in my eyes. Simple: I see no need to! The question really should be why you think I should believe in god.
you are right... But for the purpose of this op...which simply state that atheism by definition is a problem... Which no one has been able to refute the claim.....you said you see no need...and I wannner know why....the invisible ninja may be a sort of help if there is evidence.... Not to derail the topic... Why do you see no need
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by butterflyl1on: 2:53pm On Oct 03, 2017
ScepticalPyrrho:
Believing in the existence of Yahweh, Vishnu, Odin, Allah.... And many more I can't remember right now...

I meant what are the beliefs you find that do not make sense.
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by vaxx: 2:55pm On Oct 03, 2017
chemystery:

Where did i claim to be a moral atheist?
you are subjetive in your perspective....
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by AgentOfAllah: 2:56pm On Oct 03, 2017
butterflyl1on:

You believe that their could be an all powerful creator of everything yet see no need to believe there is one. You are simply irreligious. You need something to hold on to but can find none. You seek validation but have none.

Okay mr. labeller in chief! When you're done shredding me with your blazing psychoanalytic skills and putting me in your little labelled boxes, don't forget to tape, validate and ship the boxes to oblivion. Before shipping, handle my shredded pieces with care and did I mention? Carry out multiple validations for good measure!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by butterflyl1on: 2:58pm On Oct 03, 2017
AgentOfAllah:

Okay mr. labeller in chief! When you're done shredding me with your blazing psychoanalytic skills and putting me in your little labelled boxes, don't forget to tape, validate and ship the boxes to oblivion. Before shipping, handle my shredded pieces with care and did I mention? Carry out multiple validations for good measure!

Why do you see no reason to believe?
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by ScepticalPyrrho: 2:59pm On Oct 03, 2017
butterflyl1on:

I meant what are the beliefs you find that do not make sense.
All of the dogmatic positions and suppositions commonly held by various religious groups.
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by chemystery: 2:59pm On Oct 03, 2017
vaxx:
you are subjetive in your perspective....
Hmmmm...A perspective that you only know about. Can I see it please?
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by butterflyl1on: 3:00pm On Oct 03, 2017
ScepticalPyrrho:
All of the various/numerous dogmatic positions and suppositions held by religious people.

You need to be more specific than that. You are already an atheist which means you have this information readily available so indulge me. What specific beliefs do not make sense?
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by vaxx: 3:04pm On Oct 03, 2017
chemystery:
Hmmmm...A perspective that you only know about. Can I see it please?
this is you own writing...here is no dogmatism in atheism. Everyone with their own perspective about life.
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by AgentOfAllah: 3:05pm On Oct 03, 2017
vaxx:
you are right... But for the purpose of this op...which simply state that atheism by definition is a problem... Which no one has been able to refute the claim.....you said you see no need...and I wannner know why....the invisible ninja may be a sort of help if there is evidence.... Not to derail the topic... Why do you see no need

There is just as much evidence for invisible ninja as there is for any imperceptible version of god. Can you tell me why you don't see a need to believe there're invisible ninjas in your eyes?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by AgentOfAllah: 3:06pm On Oct 03, 2017
butterflyl1on:

Why do you see no reason to believe?

Do you believe in the flying spaghetti monster? If not why not?

1 Like

Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by butterflyl1on: 3:10pm On Oct 03, 2017
AgentOfAllah:

Do you believe in the flying spaghetti monster? If not why not?

This is the thing. Simply answer the question. My reasons are not yours. So your specific reasons if all I seek. Why do you see no need to believe?
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by vaxx: 3:12pm On Oct 03, 2017
ScepticalPyrrho:
All of the dogmatic positions and suppositions commonly held by various religious groups.
you fall under moral athiest....which contradict scientists atheists who claim for any evidence to be claim...it must be testable, measurable. ..and most of the religious belive do are not testable or measurable.... Like heaven and hell, like God and Satan.....they can't be scientifically proven..
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by ScepticalPyrrho: 3:13pm On Oct 03, 2017
butterflyl1on:

You need to be more specific than that. You are already an atheist which means you have this information readily available so indulge me. What specific beliefs do not make sense?
I don't think we can exhaust all of the beliefs held by religious people...

One commonly held is the idea of salvation, eternal life, loving creator, achieving a state of enlightenment or awareness, reincarnation, blood sacrifices, praying or prayers, special knowledge to a exercise that will make your life or living superior.....

I can go on and on...

Belief in supernatural beings who interferes or do not interfere with our physical existence is absurd.
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by butterflyl1on: 3:18pm On Oct 03, 2017
ScepticalPyrrho:
I don't think we can exhaust all of the beliefs held by religious people...

One commonly held is the idea of salvation, eternal life, loving creator, achieving a state of enlightenment or awareness, reincarnation, blood sacrifices, praying or prayers, special knowledge to a exercise that will make your life or living superior.....

I can go on and on...

Belief in supernatural beings who interferes or do not interfere with our physical existence is absurd.

What's your view about existence? How life came about.
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by AgentOfAllah: 3:20pm On Oct 03, 2017
butterflyl1on:

This is the thing. Simply answer the question. My reasons are not yours. So your specific reasons if all I seek. Why do you see no need to believe?

The clue is in the meaning of the word 'need'! Need is a very specific thing. When someone has no need for something, there is no obligation to justify their lack of need.

Me: I see no need to eat butterflies.

You: Oya, why do you see no need to eat butterflies?

This is a pointless exchange!

I'm sure your line of questioning makes sense to you, but it doesn't to me. If you think I am mistaking to see no need, then convince me, I am all ears (or eyes)! But asking why I see no need is quite simply a stupid question.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by vaxx: 3:22pm On Oct 03, 2017
AgentOfAllah:

There is just as much evidence for invisible ninja as there is for any imperceptible version of god. Can you tell me why you don't see a need to believe there're invisible ninjas in your eyes?
that is not good enough in argument.... I throw you a question ....answer mine, then throw yours...but I will answer yours..... Well I see need to belive there is invisible ninja... It may be a sort of help or disaster if I reject the belive ... What about yours...why do you see no need to belive in God...
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by ScepticalPyrrho: 3:23pm On Oct 03, 2017
vaxx:
you fall under moral athiest....which contradict scientists atheists who claim for any evidence to be claim...it must be testable, measurable. ..and most of the religious belive do are not testable or measurable.... Like heaven and hell, like God and Satan.....they can't be scientifically proven..
I also hold this view...

It is the most reliable form of proof as we have come to find all through human history.

Besides the moralists argument can also be directed towards providing evidences for past sin and punishments as proofs for a "God of justice".

I'll say I am both scientific and moral atheist.
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by ScepticalPyrrho: 3:25pm On Oct 03, 2017
butterflyl1on:

What's your view about existence? How life came about.
I don't know.... No one else knows... And religious answers have stumbled upon are just forced opinion for lack of better explanations.
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by AgentOfAllah: 3:26pm On Oct 03, 2017
vaxx:
that is not good enough in argument.... I throw you a question ....answer mine, then throw yours...but I will answer yours..... Well I see need to belive there is invisible ninja... It may be a sort of help or disaster if I reject the belive ... What about yours...why do you see no need to belive in God...

A need is something that is useful in one way or another.

Believing in god hasn't proven useful to me, and disbelieving hasn't proven disastrous either. So I see no need!

1 Like

Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by vaxx: 3:26pm On Oct 03, 2017
ScepticalPyrrho:
I also hold this view...

It is the most reliable form of proof as we have come to find all through human history.

Besides the moralists argument can also be directed towards providing evidences for past sin and punishments as proofs for a "God of justice".
so have you seen atheism by definition is a problem?
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by butterflyl1on: 3:29pm On Oct 03, 2017
AgentOfAllah:

The clue is in the meaning of the word 'need'! Need is a very specific thing. When someone has no need for something, there is no obligation to justify their lack of need.

Me: I see no need to eat butterflies.

You: Oya, why do you see no need to eat butterflies?

This is a pointless exchange!

I'm sure your line of questioning makes sense to you, but it doesn't to me. If you think I am mistaking to see no need, then convince me, I am all ears (or eyes)! But asking why I see no need is quite simply a stupid question.

I cannot tell you why you should see a need when I do not even know why you see no need. You see no need means you have reasons why you see no need so what are they?
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by AgentOfAllah: 3:31pm On Oct 03, 2017
butterflyl1on:

I cannot tell you why you should see a need when I do not even know why you see no need. You see no need means you have reasons why you see no need so what are they?

AgentOfAllah:

A need is something that is useful in one way or another.

Believing in god hasn't proven useful to me, and disbelieving hasn't proven disastrous either. So I see no need!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by ScepticalPyrrho: 3:31pm On Oct 03, 2017
vaxx:
so have you seen atheism by definition is a problem?
I do not see the problem in the definition.

I argue against the moralist proof for God's existence. And also the teleological arguments for God's existence.

My position as an atheist doesn't shift, it is the religious proofs that shifts.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Christmas Address: Pope Prays For Peace In Nigeria, Condemns Religious Violence / The Innocent Prophet (anti-islam Movie) / Questions For Atheists (all Atheists Please Come In)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.